Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Last year the Fed had to do a bunch of stuff with the repo market and provide capital because the sheer volume of Treasury notes that had to be issued to make up for the funding shortfall due to Trump's tax cuts created a vacuum where banks literally could not afford to buy them and still meet their reserve requirements (cumshittter fact check me please).

In simple terms: the USA had to issue so much debt that the monetary system couldn't afford to buy it all. That is just with the corporate tax cuts.

In 2019 payroll taxes made up 5.9% of our entire GDP and 35.9 percent of our federal revenue.

If we abolish the income tax then there is a good chance that we will abolish the ability to fund our government and take down the international banking order with us.

Edit: Epic snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Smythe posted:

what is money, other than a threat of violence or bribe for peace? and who has the most violence? thats right. uncle sam...

the death throes of the american empire are going to be terrifying. if the trade war goes hot war with china we are all hosed, americans and the rest of us.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Unbelievable

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
"hot" war with china seems silly. where would you even fight it? everyone has crazy missiles nowadays so ships are big dumb targets and your coastlines are thousands of miles apart. anyone in asia/pac dumb enough to sign up with the USA would be dismantled in a couple of weeks and then it'd just be a staring match.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

like ... all student loans ?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Smythe posted:

i cant believe there will be absolutely no stimulus, while corona continues to ravage the country and every single service job is still closed. it is just breathtaking.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

UnknownTarget posted:

If we abolish the income tax then there is a good chance that we will abolish the ability to fund our government and take down the international banking order with us.
Keep going, I'm almost there. :vince:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Often Abbreviated posted:

"hot" war with china seems silly. where would you even fight it? everyone has crazy missiles nowadays so ships are big dumb targets and your coastlines are thousands of miles apart. anyone in asia/pac dumb enough to sign up with the USA would be dismantled in a couple of weeks and then it'd just be a staring match.

Probably nukes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

u fight it in the cyber, op.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The United States picks the battlefield. Probably Japan and the Korean peninsula, with the obvious requirement that North Korea be defeated during an initial operation before staging full on invasion of the mainland.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Why would those with means care? They have doomsday bunkers, private jets, private islands - they're not going to be here, it won't matter.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

punished milkman posted:

i feel like i’ve read some iteration of this fantasy post many times over the last 4 years. trump sucks balls, he’s not going to implement ubi or do anything you might consider “good” lmao

Yeah, I remember reading early on that Trump was like 'Why don't we just give everyone Medicare?' and the blue boods immediately set him straight

He craves the approval of 'wannabe aristocrat' types, so, yeah.

It'd be a hail mary up there with, "claim asylum in Russia to avoid prosecution."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cunning chinese hackers (think skinny men & sexy girls) vs incredibly fat YOSPOS superstars with EPIC gaming keyboards

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

UnknownTarget posted:

Last year the Fed had to do a bunch of stuff with the repo market and provide capital because the sheer volume of Treasury notes that had to be issued to make up for the funding shortfall due to Trump's tax cuts created a vacuum where banks literally could not afford to buy them and still meet their reserve requirements (cumshittter fact check me please).

In simple terms: the USA had to issue so much debt that the monetary system couldn't afford to buy it all. That is just with the corporate tax cuts.

In 2019 payroll taxes made up 5.9% of our entire GDP and 35.9 percent of our federal revenue.

Edit: Epic snipe.

The federal reserve can literally just go and credit $infinity dollars at will. The only limit to this activity is inflation.

Reserve requirements aren't real if they aren't actually enforced and can also be magicked to whatever is necessary. The entire thing can be kept going on nothing as long as you can keep the proles from burning everything down and the dollar doesn't collapse.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

idk proxy war in india?

sometimes when i post poo poo like i did i'm hoping someone else will either tell me i'm right and here's why or i'm wrong and here's why vOv

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lmao

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ9FZ5Z7AII

friday afternoon flat fuckers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

whats this

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
cramer cracking is probably the best part of this week for me

i know that's his whole schtick but i wanna see how far he goes

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

america

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Father Wendigo posted:

Why would those with means care? They have doomsday bunkers, private jets, private islands - they're not going to be here, it won't matter.

Those are in New Zealand right next to the most hawkish of US client states Australia. They're not getting off scott-free with idyllic hobbit homes.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The US transitioning to governing by decree was the obvious and inevitable outcome of the tensions and gridlock in our constitution but it still sucks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

mcconnell is genuinely one of the most talented politicians in american history. at every turn he gets what he wants, despite absolutely 0 popular appeal or charisma.
i dont know if i agree with this exactly. is he talented or are all dems (including obama) just worthless decorum-addicted loving idiots who are actually onboard with most everything the GOP wants anyways that they don't even try? i get the feeling it's not that he's talented, it's that everyone is a loving pushover austerity-loving lib that doesn't want to upset decorum. look at pretty much most dems voting to confirm all the chudges with a happy face on too in exchange for... nothing, nothing at all.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The US transitioning to governing by decree was the obvious and inevitable outcome of the tensions and gridlock in our constitution but it still sucks.

yeah trump and stephen miller and jared kushner aren't exactly the benevolent philosopher kings you'd want as your autocrat, but you go to civil war with the army you have, not the army you might wish you have

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Penisaurus Sex posted:

i mean what the gently caress is supposed to happen when every single legislative body across the country, of which theyres like ten loving thousand, just says 'eh we dont know what to do ' and takes vacations

either you're just ok with the executive handling everything at every level, or you think that somehow we should just go hold city councilpeople at gunpoint until they resign and give you their keys and voting chair? preposterous

its kind of insane that people even think voting is the answer when this disease hit here 12 loving months before a new executive would even be sworn in

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

No idea.

Felt appropriate to reply with a gif of a burning house.

So I just looked one up on /r/cinemagraphs, whose whole thing is neat gifs.

And, since the world's poo poo, here's a palette cleanser from ^^^:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

dissolve Congress trump
send them home

time to declare an ice floe to be the new Senate and House chambers and order all to return to the chambers for an emergency session

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Controlled by Russia or not, the gop is way too far gone from any liberal consensus for the old status quo to come back

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1291276878733553665?s=20

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

"hot" war with china seems silly. where would you even fight it?

My immediate thought is Korea/Japan, or Thailand/Burma. Any of the "stan" countries too.

The US has troops, and big military bases, all over those spots.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I hope the hot China war is literally Azur Lane. Because if it is, then Bremerton is real. And if she's real, then she can be my girlfriend.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The only realistic flashpoint imo is Taiwan and even the chances of that happening are close to zero. China has no interest in an offensive conflict and I doubt Korea or Japan would back any US provocation.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

lol nintendo is down 3.5% on the day, investors are unhappy with their controversial and risky business model of "making good products people actually buy"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

lol nintendo is down 3.5% on the day, investors are unhappy with their controversial and risky business model of "making good products people actually buy"

Does sell on news typically last the entire trade day for a company?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

If we push China enough for them to enter a "hot" war it will be through cyberattacks on our infrastructure and the foundational systems of our allies. They would beat us before we fired a shot, then go hot with invasion forces after we were too incapacitated to fight back.

No one wants a hot war (except the USA), because in the modern world the only things worth invading a country for would get destroyed in the opening salvo. So you'd blow everything up, invade and heyo you got ash for your troubles.

I think Trump's line of reasoning is that they're up and coming, we'll beat them down and rob them of their ability to compete with us economically because we have so much more military might. It makes sense that a dying empire would try to destroy its foes with the death dealing infrastructure it's been keeping in it's back pocket.

Problem is, Xi probably knows everything I said, so there is nothing for them to win with an offensive war. Trump keeps trying to push them into attacking by being an international dick, but I think that Xi's position, domestically and abroad, is a lot stronger. They can afford to wait it out. If they're pushed far enough then their government has successfully modernized and has an extreme advantage over ours in that department (like, USA vs Brazil), so they can destroy us at home without firing a shot. Yea the USA has the panopticon, but I wonder how many Chinese power plants and railyards are run on dot matrix printers and switchboards?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Dolphin posted:

i travel to a "3rd world" country regularly to visit family (well, i did before covid) and i can say with authority that it's better there by a lot. not as much access to new-fangled cell phones and cars are more expensive but the feeling of personal freedom is WAY higher and most poo poo is a fuckton cheaper and people are nicer

Maybe, just like in The Market, the higher the number, the better. Makes you think...

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Oh yeah and Xi is already destroying the USA at directed propoganda towards Americans to disrupt the idea of national unity.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
drat we’re just speeding headlong into the collapse. can’t wait for the year of 4 presidents, the year of 5 presidents, the year of 6 presidents, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Centrist Committee posted:

drat we’re just speeding headlong into the collapse. can’t wait for the year of 4 presidents, the year of 5 presidents, the year of 6 presidents, etc.

Broke: State of the Union

Woke: Shattered Union