Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheMadMilkman posted:

The best thing about the Polks is that they’re sold at Best Buy, so just about anyone can get a pair, try them out, and return them if you don’t like them.

I have to disagree about center channels, though. There are unquestionable advantages to a center channel in just about every setup, especially if you don’t have a perfectly symmetrical room. Even with the ventriloquist effect, I still notice, and get bothered by, hearing the phantom center shift based on the frequency of the sound being played.

Yeah, room assymetry is a good point. I’ve always run a center because I always have people sitting off axis. Exception being for the PC where I think room assymetry isn’t likely to be much of an issue due to being closer to my ears than they are to any walls.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Obviously there's a little more to it than that.

What I wanted you to explain was why you said you shouldn't mix speakers with 2/3 way drivers.

Because they won’t sound the same which is an issue with when things pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

Over the years I've gone from 5 channels to three to two and I'm happier than I've ever been with my system because each piece of it is better. I guess it's a "do you want 50 nuggets or one steak?" situation and some people just want those nuggets.

FYI you can have more than one steak

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

No one is saying get fifty nuggets some are saying get the steak and then add some loving sides maybe some nice mashed potatoes and broiled asparagus and a bottle of wine and some other people are saying NO NOTHING ELSE JUST ONE STEAK

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What is the steak burger/salisbury steak of this analogy?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

What is the steak burger/salisbury steak of this analogy?

A Sony HTIAB from the late 90s.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's got a 3 gravy changer built in

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Help! I had to replace my Reciever and got a Samsung HT-AS730S. I have HDMI in from a few devices, then one HDMI out to my tv, and I'm getting video but no audio. I've read through the manual and played around with all the settings but no dice, and Samsung's support chat was about as helpful as ever.

Any ideas? I feel like it's got to be a setting but I can't find the damned thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Retro Futurist posted:

Help! I had to replace my Reciever and got a Samsung HT-AS730S. I have HDMI in from a few devices, then one HDMI out to my tv, and I'm getting video but no audio. I've read through the manual and played around with all the settings but no dice, and Samsung's support chat was about as helpful as ever.

Any ideas? I feel like it's got to be a setting but I can't find the damned thing

Try changing the audio output of the sources to PCM or bitstream.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Did you check the speaker setup settings in the menu on the receiver?

That's an old unit, are you sure it was working when you acquired it?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I picked it up to replace a Denon that died on me so all my outputs should be good. It was used so it's possible it's a faulty unit, but I feel like if that were the case I'd have no video either, isn't HDMI kind of all or nothing?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean, if you're not getting ANY sound amp could be dead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh I forgot to mention I get sound with an optical cable, I just don’t have optical out on all my stuff so I’d rather just use HDMI for everything. So it does work for that at least.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Make sure your video and audio input assignments align. Like for a given source it’s video-hdmi1 audio-hdmi1 and not video-hdmi1 and audio-optical in or something.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dogen posted:

Make sure your video and audio input assignments align. Like for a given source it’s video-hdmi1 audio-hdmi1 and not video-hdmi1 and audio-optical in or something.

That’s my problem. I’m certain it’s something like that but none of the settings line up. I can set the individual inputs to whatever audio source, but the options art Optical 1/2/3 or Coax, which makes me think HDMI should just be the default but that’s not working either. But it does mean that it can be changed, so there’s got to be some random setting in there that flips it over.
I feel like I’m in a foreign country trying to find something at a grocery store. I know exactly what I want but I can’t speak the language!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alright this is probably more fixable. I gave up and just went HDMI to the tv and then optical from the tv to the Reciever, I at least have audio and video now.
However, my surrounds aren't working. This one is certainly going to be a setting, but again nothing seems to work for it. I tried a few 5.1 tests on YouTube and it plays the surround speakers on the front speakers (left and right are correct though). I do hear a faint hiss from the surrounds so they're definitely getting power, but no actual sound.
I've made sure they're set to ON and that all the sound settings are set for PCM/etc. This is a 7.1 Reciever and I only have the 5 speakers, but they're wired into Surround and not Surround Back as per the manual. Anyone know the magic words I need to say to get sound out of these?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Youtube videos don't do 5.1 and all of those tests are B.S, so start with a 5.1 source. What is your source? Even from that youtube video you should be able to set a prologic mode to upmix to 5.1. It will sound like poo poo but will test the rear amp.

Have you just reset the thing to clear any wacky settings?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

KS posted:

Youtube videos don't do 5.1 and all of those tests are B.S, so start with a 5.1 source. What is your source? Even from that youtube video you should be able to set a prologic mode to upmix to 5.1. It will sound like poo poo but will test the rear amp.

Have you just reset the thing to clear any wacky settings?

Yeah I tried a reset back when I was hoping to get the hdmi going. I have my cable box and an Xbox one so both are definitely capable of 5.1 and set properly in their settings.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Retro Futurist posted:

Help! I had to replace my Reciever and got a Samsung HT-AS730S

Did you buy this used? Samsung's website says it's from 2009. Maybe it's just broken

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/HT-AS730ST/XAA/

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It was used, but the ways it hasn’t been working don’t really lead me to believe it’s broken. Or at least not broken in a way where I can’t get it to do what I want.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

My dumbass has RCA cables red/white on red/white connected from brand new SX-10AE receiver to Roku 50S425 smart TV, losing my mind as to why audio won’t transmit through to my speakers.

Audio works all other ways to the speakers- Alexa connected by cable, phone by Bluetooth, but not TV by RCA.

I went to the audio settings on the tv but nothing seems to matter. The tv is connected to the “CD” input on the receiver, I’m on that channel. No sound. I’ve tried Line 1 and Line 2.

I’m missing something extremely simple. Or they’re bad cables from Walmart but I doubt it.

Thanks for any help :smugdon:

Well nvm, switched cables and it worked. Thanks Walmart

Colonel Squish fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 6, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm having a weird problem. I cannot get surround sound in my 5.1s.

My main source is my pc. The setup is Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 -> Denon x1300W -> Visio TV all with HDMI.

When I test the speakers through the amp, they all work, when I test the speakers through the windows sound tool, they all work, but no matter what I do, only the front and center channel speakers work, the sub and rear speakers just don't play.

Even if I set the sound mound to virtual or dolby surround, I get nothing other then my front and center channels.

The only other devices I have to test with are bluetooth and a switch, and its the same situation with those.

I'm at my wits end and I don't know what else to try.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
What content and player are you using to test for 5.1?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not sure why you mentioned your TV. Aren’t your speakers plugged into the receiver? Are you using ARC and having issues with streaming apps?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was looking at a media console for my turntable and bluetooth receiver. Is there any issue with bluetooth signals going through doors that have small openings to allow signals from remotes, etc.?

for example on this, if the receiver was behind the top left or top right door which are perforated steel, I'm sure remotes would work fine, but what about bluetooth?

https://www.bludot.com/dang-2-door-2-drawer-console.html

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

I was looking at a media console for my turntable and bluetooth receiver. Is there any issue with bluetooth signals going through doors that have small openings to allow signals from remotes, etc.?

for example on this, if the receiver was behind the top left or top right door which are perforated steel, I'm sure remotes would work fine, but what about bluetooth?

https://www.bludot.com/dang-2-door-2-drawer-console.html

Bluetooth goes through just about everything if it’s within range.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
As a follow up to my previous posts, I ended up finding a Pioneer Elite SC-37 used on craigslist for $380 ($2,200 MSRP in 2010). Upgrading from a Denon AVR-S540BT, supposedly 70W/channel, to 140W/channel is HUGE. I haven't been able to raise it higher than -10db, and at that level it was hurting my ears from across the room.

It only has HDMI V.1.4a, but my TV has a Roku built in, and I use that for video switching, with the Pioneer receiver handling audio.

Next upgrade will be adding a sub-woofer. I think I will save my money and get myself a Christmas preset of a Rythmik Audio E15 Direct Servo subwoofer.

Current setup:
TCL 55" Roku TV
Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver
Two Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Reference Monitors
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Center

e: Speaker wire, I thought bigger is better and got 12 Gauge. This poo poo is way too thick, it is so hard trying to get it into connections. Do yourself a favor and stick to 18 gauge.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 8, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SA Forums Poster posted:

As a follow up to my previous posts, I ended up finding a Pioneer Elite SC-37 used on craigslist for $380 ($2,200 MSRP in 2010). Upgrading from a Denon AVR-S540BT, supposedly 70W/channel, to 140W/channel is HUGE. I haven't been able to raise it higher than -10db, and at that level it was hurting my ears from across the room.

It only has HDMI V.1.4a, but my TV has a Roku built in, and I use that for video switching, with the Pioneer receiver handling audio.

Next upgrade will be adding a sub-woofer. I think I will save my money and get myself a Christmas preset of a Rythmik Audio E15 Direct Servo subwoofer.

Current setup:
TCL 55" Roku TV
Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver
Two Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Reference Monitors
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Center

e: Speaker wire, I thought bigger is better and got 12 Gauge. This poo poo is way too thick, it is so hard trying to get it into connections. Do yourself a favor and stick to 18 gauge.

Get screw on banana plugs or spades. It’s not a ton of money. Crimp on spades are like 20 for a few bucks. You can get them at autozone if that’s what you’re into.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

madsushi posted:

What content and player are you using to test for 5.1?

A bunch of different stuff. youtube 5.1 tests, movies and tv shows I have downloaded in plex and vlc, flac music files in vlc.

Josh Lyman posted:

Not sure why you mentioned your TV. Aren’t your speakers plugged into the receiver? Are you using ARC and having issues with streaming apps?

Some googling has lead me to believe that since the tv is at the end of the chain, that is what nvidia/windows detects. And since the tv can only do stereo, the hdmi connection only sends stereo.

Yes, speakers are plugging into the receiver. As far as I can tell, everything is using arc. Unless you need a special hdmi cable for ARC?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Why do I keep contacting Samsung support and thinking it will be better any given time?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

A bunch of different stuff. youtube 5.1 tests, movies and tv shows I have downloaded in plex and vlc, flac music files in vlc.
Youtube is only stereo. The 5.1 videos are fake. None of that looks like 5.1 unless the movies you downloaded are actually 5.1.

quote:

Some googling has lead me to believe that since the tv is at the end of the chain, that is what nvidia/windows detects. And since the tv can only do stereo, the hdmi connection only sends stereo.

Yes, speakers are plugging into the receiver. As far as I can tell, everything is using arc. Unless you need a special hdmi cable for ARC?
No, Windows will only see as far as the receiver. And your TV should be able to send 5.1 to your speakers via ARC. You don’t need a special cable but ARC can be finicky and crappy cables can make it worse.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Also on most TVs only one input actually supports ARC, so make sure you’re connected to the right input.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Now I'm even more confused. Grabbed a toslink cable yesterday, hooked my pc to the tv, then sound out from the tv to amp. Didn't work at all, now windows really sees it at stereo and no other options.

So this morning, I plug things back in the way there work. TV to receiver, remove the optical cable. Now the surround speakers work. I can use the sound modes for stereo stuff and it mostly works.

But I still have no sub.

I have no idea how unplugging and replugging fixed some speakers. Maybe I should unplug and boot things up in various orders and the sub will magically start working again?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Now I'm even more confused. Grabbed a toslink cable yesterday, hooked my pc to the tv, then sound out from the tv to amp. Didn't work at all, now windows really sees it at stereo and no other options.

So this morning, I plug things back in the way there work. TV to receiver, remove the optical cable. Now the surround speakers work. I can use the sound modes for stereo stuff and it mostly works.

But I still have no sub.

I have no idea how unplugging and replugging fixed some speakers. Maybe I should unplug and boot things up in various orders and the sub will magically start working again?
What outputs on the receiver and what inputs on the sub are you using to hook up? Do you have your receiver set so that it knows there's a sub?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You might have to set your front speakers to "small" in the receiver. By default, it probably only sends the LFE channel to the sub, which a lot of content doesn't have.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm not sure what was going on. I did a factory reset of the receiver, then ran audessy again, and now it just works.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm not sure what was going on. I did a factory reset of the receiver, then ran audessy again, and now it just works.
Maximum “did you turn it off and on again?”

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

gently caress me I think I figured mine out. Last attempt was HDMI from xbox and cable box to tv and then optical out, which was getting me only stereo. I tried running optical directly to the Xbox and it seems like that actually works.
No idea why as there's no setting in the tv that seems like it would affect that, but at least I have a path forward.

Good tip though for anyone looking as I see a few people fell for the same thing I did, youtube isn't actually 5.1, but if you search Test on Netflix they have a real one.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Retro Futurist posted:

gently caress me I think I figured mine out. Last attempt was HDMI from xbox and cable box to tv and then optical out, which was getting me only stereo. I tried running optical directly to the Xbox and it seems like that actually works.
No idea why as there's no setting in the tv that seems like it would affect that, but at least I have a path forward.

Good tip though for anyone looking as I see a few people fell for the same thing I did, youtube isn't actually 5.1, but if you search Test on Netflix they have a real one.

Tried doing HDMI thing into receiver, like back to when you were getting video but no sound, and toggle:
Setup - Option - HDMI Setup - HDMI Audio ?

Optical from TV to receiver I don't think will be reliable for 5.1 as it'll only do some compressed audio but a lot of stuff now it won't handle for bouncing through the HDMI chain and what devices want to send. Direct from the Xbox it'll know how to send the right format.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

teh_Broseph posted:

Tried doing HDMI thing into receiver, like back to when you were getting video but no sound, and toggle:
Setup - Option - HDMI Setup - HDMI Audio ?

That's where I would assume the problem lies, but the options for that are optical 1/2/3 or stereo, no visible option for HDMI audio. Manual shows the same so that's apparently by design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Retro Futurist posted:

That's where I would assume the problem lies, but the options for that are optical 1/2/3 or stereo, no visible option for HDMI audio. Manual shows the same so that's apparently by design

The manual I'm looking at shows that as the drilldown for a toggle for the HDMI audio to be either AVR or TV (you'd want AVR) if ya see that? Would screenshot but phone posting :effort: