Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Billionaires are policy failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

If only someone wrote about this, perhaps proposed a new economic system. How well, dead money is gonna choke the system to death
OK, I'm dumb but interested. Das Kapital?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

That Works posted:

Billionaires become 2x billionaires just by sitting still. Great system.

It's the scale of money making money that gets me.

2010 - invested 3k in the vangaurd 500 fund. You'd have - ~$10,800.

If you put in 1 million - you'd have 3.6 million. Tripling cents doesn't get you much. But when, as has been pointed out, the wealthy are allowed to keep making money, tripling of 1million, 10 million, or 100 million, starts to become serious gently caress off money. And that money makes even more.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Look the rich are just plain better than us, don't you get it. You don't want to stifle innovation, do you

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

ded posted:

sturgis is going to kill more people than a trump rally

Oh boy, it is! See I live out here in the poo poo hole of Western SD. It started to get crowded this week with early arrivals. Now they are pouring in. And it will be the chuddliest of them. The smart ones are staying home. The "bikers" are good at 1. spreading disease, 2. driving drunk and 3. weaving in and out of traffic like they are on an episode of CHiPs. I'm staying in my nice air conditioned house all week. My wife ventured out to get wine Friday evening and almost got into an accident when some idiot biker swerved in front of her at an intersection.

Even better is that the big campground/concert venues have been non-stop advertising that they're "OPEN FOR BUSINESS LIKE IT WAS BEFORE!". The biggest one, the Buffalo Chip, uses that exact phrasing in the commercials I've seen around locally. This is one of the few states that is not highlighted as a hotspot and I fully expect that to change as this thing happens. They don't have anything near the health infrastructure to deal with it either. It's too isolated out here to boot, any major city is 6 hours minimum.

Not that this city (Rapid City) cares anyway. I've been seeing more and more giant pickup trucks flying full sized "TRUMP" flags.

The school I work at is opening for in-person classes as well and I anticipate the fall out from Sturgis impacting that. A colleague of mine thinks they will call the semester at eight weeks before everything is back to on line only. Why eight? Because that's the cut off for refunds, silly goose!

Don't worry, the SD Governor is on it though, right? Right?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Burning Beard posted:

Don't worry, the SD Governor is on it though, right? Right?

Wasn't she the last one to enforce a stay at home order, and now she's holed up in the Residence in Pierre?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You have my sympathies. Thankfully Colorado isn't that dumb, but a bunch of the bikers here will go and come back with the Rona and spread that poo poo. Labor day is going to bring out a bunch of morons too.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

Wasn't she the last one to enforce a stay at home order, and now she's holed up in the Residence in Pierre?

Bingo. She also thought BLM would try to blow up Mount Rushmore or something.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Stravag posted:

Hey remember guyger? I guess we're gonna see if 2020 gets even worse

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amber-...Id=96463576#app

That's exactly the same defense that didn't work at the trial. There can't be much chance it'll work as an appeal. NAL, though.

TCD posted:

He did donate 1.5 billion for it already. Of all the tech billionaires, at least Gates is trying to help fund good causes around the world (that will still need funding after COVID*). If you lump in his foundation, the dude has already given away something like 50 billion. I knew a friend that was working in Africa on improving rural public health due to his foundation.

Assuming successful vaccines.

Yeah, he also funds some very bad causes, too. He's one of the biggest backers of the charter school movement, for example.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Burning Beard posted:

Bingo. She also thought BLM would try to blow up Mount Rushmore or something.

Well, yes, but what's the problem with that?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Isn't Gates donating $1.5 billion not even him donating his yearly interest earnings?

Like, the numbers are insane. If you stopped Gates or Bezos on the street and asked them for a dollar, the amount of time you took from them asking is worth tens of thousands of dollars if they were paid hourly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

egyptian rat race posted:

Isn't he richer now than he ever was when he was "working for profit"?

Yup...

E: I know he's an intelligent man and he's spending on good causes, but the dude is richer than god and anyone else besides Jeff Bezos. He is uniquely positioned to upend industry/society/whatever and try some real big idea poo poo, so forgive me if I'm bitter that he's content to read in a shack while taking a break from micromanaging efforts to create a composting toilet or whatever the pet project is this week. The dude could snag the levers of power in any collection of countries he chose and do any number of really impactful projects, but he's content to prop up current systems.

It's gonna sound petty, but it all just seems like he's designing innovative ways to sop up blood rather than stopping the cause of the hemorrhaging

I think we absolutely should not encourage billionaires to snag levers of power on a global scale. They already do and it's bad enough now. I don't care how good his intentions are, he's still a tech billionaire. Nobody becomes a billionaire by being a good person. Nobody.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

egyptian rat race posted:

Isn't he richer now than he ever was when he was "working for profit"?

Yup...

E: I know he's an intelligent man and he's spending on good causes, but the dude is richer than god and anyone else besides Jeff Bezos. He is uniquely positioned to upend industry/society/whatever and try some real big idea poo poo, so forgive me if I'm bitter that he's content to read in a shack while taking a break from micromanaging efforts to create a composting toilet or whatever the pet project is this week. The dude could snag the levers of power in any collection of countries he chose and do any number of really impactful projects, but he's content to prop up current systems.

It's gonna sound petty, but it all just seems like he's designing innovative ways to sop up blood rather than stopping the cause of the hemorrhaging

Someone beat me to it, but this is a really bad idea. This is how Transnationals get created in the Mars trilogy, with the richest corporations outright buying Trinidad & Tobago or the like. It obviously became a huge shitshow. Capitalism.txt in it's purest form.

We should not encourage the richest to get even one iota more power than they already have. Tax the poo poo out of their wealth instead.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You have my sympathies. Thankfully Colorado isn't that dumb, but a bunch of the bikers here will go and come back with the Rona and spread that poo poo. Labor day is going to bring out a bunch of morons too.

I'm just glad all the chuds are in that city to the south that we don't talk about here in Denver

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

Well, yes, but what's the problem with that?

No problem at all, I hate Mount Rushmore. It's just a tourist trap as far as I'm concerned.

The funny part is that Noem honestly believed that antifa and BLM would come and take it down on the 4th of July. The useless SD House rep, Dusty Rhodes Johnson actually introduced a bill in Congress to "protect it" even though it's NPS property.

I follow news stations from home (Ohio) and they're all talking about Sturgis this morning. The comments, as expected, are chud-fests. Freedumb and all that poo poo.

Oh, the name Sturgis. Named after the 7th Cavalry's actual CO, Sam Sturgis. He was a divisional commander in the Army of the Potomac during the Civil War and quite the rear end in a top hat as well. If you ever come here go to Fort Meade, the 7th was stationed there after the Little Big Horn and it's where Marcus Reno, Custer's XO, got caught peeping in Sturgis's daughters window. That got him court martial-ed and drummed out of the Army. The actual houses are still there, used by the staff of the VA facility. You, too, fellow Gippers can peep into Sturgis's daughters window.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

I'm just glad all the chuds are in that city to the south that we don't talk about here in Denver

It's slightly cheaper down here though. Compared to any city I've lived in down in Tennessee, the Springs is a liberal utopia. Yeah, there's megachurches and mil bases and the typical fanfare that goes with it, but the bulk of the folks I meet here are lefties.

Hell, city council here is talking about recreational weed. Finally. Probably need the tax revenue.

Not that it matters much to me, hopefully I'll find a piece of land out on the edge of nowhere soon.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Burning Beard posted:

You, too, fellow Gippers can peep into Sturgis's daughters window.

What a time to be alive

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's slightly cheaper down here though. Compared to any city I've lived in down in Tennessee, the Springs is a liberal utopia. Yeah, there's megachurches and mil bases and the typical fanfare that goes with it, but the bulk of the folks I meet here are lefties.

Hell, city council here is talking about recreational weed. Finally. Probably need the tax revenue.

Not that it matters much to me, hopefully I'll find a piece of land out on the edge of nowhere soon.

Yeah, it's cheaper, and you do get hilarious stories about people refusing to pay taxes so you shut off all the street lights

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Or pouring PFAS all over Fountain for fire suppressants tests so the ground water is useless for the next million years.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Trump/Fox News: Biden is old, feeble, slow, and hiding in his basement

Biden: imma prank Fox News in a bike group drive-by

https://twitter.com/JTHVerhovek/status/1292130789052887041?s=19

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That Works posted:

Billionaires become 2x billionaires just by sitting still. Great system.

Capitalism is the perfect economic system because it rewards productivity :hurr:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

If only someone wrote about this, perhaps proposed a new economic system. How well, dead money is gonna choke the system to death

There are only two diametrically opposed options and both are poo poo. We can do nothing but pick one or the other.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Burning Beard posted:

No problem at all, I hate Mount Rushmore. It's just a tourist trap as far as I'm concerned.

It's been well established by Goon Law that the only 'correct' South Dakota destination is Wall Drug. :colbert:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BigDave posted:

It's been well established by Goon Law that the only 'correct' South Dakota destination is Wall Drug. :colbert:

We drove through South Dakota a couple of summers ago and since Wall Drug was the only thing of note within like 300 miles we stopped to check the tourist trap out. I felt bad that there were so many international exchange students working summer jobs there because it meant that they came from the other side of the planet to go to college in South Dakota.

As a middle aged introvert, the emptiness of South Dakota didn't both me. I just can't imagine the disappointment from someone who only knows America through TV and movies coming to the middle of nowhere thinking that they are going to get an experience similar to what they've come to expect from media.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I would think if you're travelling between continents a certain degree of due dilligence should be expected. I can't say I would feel especially bad for someone who was all hopped up on tolstoy novels and wanted to see russia but then booked a vacation in Norilsk.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wall Drug is still the only destination in South Dakota

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Hekk posted:

As a middle aged introvert, the emptiness of South Dakota didn't both me. I just can't imagine the disappointment from someone who only knows America through TV and movies coming to the middle of nowhere thinking that they are going to get an experience similar to what they've come to expect from media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSmtbSYE8pg

yeah, there are some stories like this.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Trumple Orangeskin signed some EOs. It's on TV now. $400 unemployment benefit, now he's babbling about stocks.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Trumple Orangeskin signed some EOs. It's on TV now. $400 unemployment benefit, now he's babbling about stocks.

I have the best socks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CNN was apparently running a clip of him announcing it all.

He apparently claimed to have passed veterans choice, and stopped the presser after called out by a reporter. Lol.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/PNWResistance/status/1292214545973297152?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's a clusterfuck that requires money, time, and people from states that don't have any of those three.

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1292213383618592768?s=19

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

It's a clusterfuck that requires money, time, and people from states that don't have any of those three.

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1292213383618592768?s=19

Seems like this will gently caress over red states more than blue on average

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
For these types, that's all well and good. There are a ton of minorities in red states especially in the south.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't listen to most of Trump's speeches. But man, that opener:

"You've been hearing a lot about evictions [3 sentances of blaming Democrats] we gotta keep people from being evicted... It's not their fault~ it's China's fault" Like it is wild how he keeps slipping in a "it was China's fault" in low tones.

Fuckin lmao. I genuinely don't care if it is legal or moral or whatever. GIVE ME MY FUCKIN MONEY

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's actually worse.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1292213881809641473?s=19

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1292224061473468422?s=19

It's only one order and three word-vomit letters, the money runs out in five weeks, is getting pulled from FEMA (right before hurricane season!), and the payroll tax thing is just a holiday to be paid back in a lump at the end of the year.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jeff Bezos made 13 billion in one day lmao

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BTW don't expect to get your mail anytime soon:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Here are some pictures I received this morning. They are from the post office in Kenwood, OH. Zip Code 43606. This is in the morning before people start their shift. The mail you see laying around is mail from previous days the workers didn't get processed for delivery because they can't work overtime anymore. I was told these post office processing stations should never look like this at the beginning of the shift. The shelves should be empty and no packages on the floor.

The person who sent me these photos said this is the beginning of a disaster.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

the person who sent me those pictures said if your carrier is on vacation, out sick or in quarantine due to COVID will create even longer delays

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jeff Bezos made 13 billion in one day lmao

gently caress it

Bezos/Musk 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Phalan'x is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf howl)

https://mobile.twitter.com/PNWYLF/status/1291996774345957377