Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got a some Assault Intercessors done, just in time for a game today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know how to achieve something like the droopy plague batter around the guns, or even on the spikey carapace on the back?

I tried to green stuff some plaguey goopy build up but I'm not happy with it at all:

I've never done it, but I think the dripping goop can be achieved by taking string, squirting hot glue onto it, and kind of let it dry/harden on the string as it flows down.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know how to achieve something like the droopy plague batter around the guns, or even on the spikey carapace on the back?

I tried to green stuff some plaguey goopy build up but I'm not happy with it at all:

There's a lot of ways of doing it and I just had this open in a tab so you can look through for ideas: https://tutorialsoftomorrow.tumblr.com/post/155559935349

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:krad: Thanks

and holy poo poo my replacement airbrush arrived in 3 days. The replacement air regulator took a week, and the first airbrush initially took 10 days. Pray for me nothing else goes wrong, goonses :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, watching Miniac's YouTube series on recreating the 'Eavy Metal studio style has taught me so drat much. Highly recommended.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sab669 posted:

:krad: Thanks

and holy poo poo my replacement airbrush arrived in 3 days. The replacement air regulator took a week, and the first airbrush initially took 10 days. Pray for me nothing else goes wrong, goonses :negative:

Good luck, and remember to thin your paints.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sab669 posted:

Most time-intensive method by far but the best-looking results imo are from invisible thread + built up layers of water effect, with some micro-beads added in for bubbles. This is a good example of what it looks like / basic run-down on the method:

https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.com/2016/05/making-waves.html

and here's a specifically Nurgle slime-y version:

https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.com/2015/02/project-nurgle-part-7-adding-slime.html

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sab669 posted:

Uhu glue and nylon fishing lines worked for me with some blood effect. Same thing should work here in theory

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Very nearly almost finished this big bastard

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm still practicing my skills and will some day try out the cel-shaded look, but until then I'm gonna keep painting communist anime robots

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Very nearly almost finished this big bastard

What washes do you use on the main armor color? It looks super gross and disgusting, I love it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Spanish Manlove posted:

What washes do you use on the main armor color? It looks super gross and disgusting, I love it

Wraithbone base, reikland fleshshade slathered over that, then white contrast paint over the top to even out the tone and add that gross ashy/dusty shading

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Wraithbone base, reikland fleshshade slathered over that, then white contrast paint over the top to even out the tone and add that gross ashy/dusty shading

Huh weird. Never would have thought that would create a blue-grey shading.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished up this squad of bony bois last night.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm still practicing my skills and will some day try out the cel-shaded look, but until then I'm gonna keep painting communist anime robots

Heck ya blue white colour scheme

Maybe try drilling out some barrels

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

haha air compressor go brrrrrr

I assume if my tip looks like this at the end, I didn't thin my paint enough and the needle should be removed for cleaning?

Oh, also:

Is this just dog hair and lint floating around my room, or am I spraying too far away and it's drying in the air, or something else entirely?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That is just fluff.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sab669 posted:

Oh, also:

Is this just dog hair and lint floating around my room, or am I spraying too far away and it's drying in the air, or something else entirely?

Hair.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Painted an Adeptus Titanicus house as a test.

I'm happy with the windows but I'm not sold on the colour of the walls.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Painted an Adeptus Titanicus house as a test.

I'm happy with the windows but I'm not sold on the colour of the walls.

when i doubt, drybrush the poo poo out of it with something!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sab669 posted:

haha air compressor go brrrrrr

The tip will look like that during use. Your firing aerosolised paint over it constantly, it’s going to get some colour on it

Highly recommend keeping an old toothbrush nearby for long painting sessions, if the flow of paint gets wonky or weird, a wet toothbrush gently rubbed over the needle briefly, tends to get rid of any gribblys hanging on.

Also yes, welcome to getting reminded how dirty your house is.

When in doubt just blast the piece with pure air before applying colour.

Also, vacuum your room, nerd <3

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Are 3rd party, recast companies considered :filez: or is it okay to ask for recommendations?

e: ok nvm :)

Furism fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 9, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, recasting is verboten.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Quick question re: airbrushing.

I’m painting yellow by zenithal priming white over black using Vallejo yellow ink over it. While yellow ink is insanely vibrant and looks great over the full white areas, it also - because the ink is quite transparent - gets a green tint in the shadows. What’s the easiest fix? Prime fully white and reverse zenithal light brown or something? Use a brown primer before the white zenithal instead of black? I don’t have a brown primer on hand. I guess I could prime fully white and do a normal sepia wash by hand, then spray the ink.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Use brown and pink for base coats.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

KozmoNaut posted:

Use brown and pink for base coats.

Pink if you want a blaze of colour, brown for more natural yellows.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
To add to the previous post, I suggest you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmnPkiiswPk

I've used that exact technique for my Ironjawz army and it works wonder. It's fast, it gives great results and you can improve even more by adding washes before the ink (was nice for the rust effects on the Orruks armor). But mostly yeah it's really fast. I haven't tried using brown for the base coat to get more natural yellows, and now I want to it a try.

As a side note, I'm looking for an article somewhere that would summarize what base color to use for what ink. I would have never guessed that pink goes so well with yellow, for instance. What if I want to use red ink? Or black? I realize this is probably just color theory, but isn't there a nice cheat sheet somewhere?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yeast posted:

Also, vacuum your room, nerd <3

I have 2 dogs it's going to happen :( But that room barely gets used, save for me going in to get the dogs' breakfast and dinner each day, so if anything is probably the cleanest in my house :staredog:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Quick question re: airbrushing.

I’m painting yellow by zenithal priming white over black using Vallejo yellow ink over it. While yellow ink is insanely vibrant and looks great over the full white areas, it also - because the ink is quite transparent - gets a green tint in the shadows. What’s the easiest fix? Prime fully white and reverse zenithal light brown or something? Use a brown primer before the white zenithal instead of black? I don’t have a brown primer on hand. I guess I could prime fully white and do a normal sepia wash by hand, then spray the ink.

Magenta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_qOwnQHdE

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Thanks fellas. I don't have a pink primer, but I guess I can just prime white and do a reverse zenithal with like the guy in the magenta video except with a red/white ink mix. I have a red wash, maybe I can spray that reverse-zenithal just to get the tint. I was hoping to cut down on the steps but I guess pink primer -> white zenithal is the only real way to do that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, Impcat is a really loving cool app, but I wish there were more model options out there, even fan man. Like, I came across an AM infantry troop, but no other AM models. I guess it's okay to test general color schemes on that one model to see how an army might look.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Thanks fellas. I don't have a pink primer, but I guess I can just prime white and do a reverse zenithal with like the guy in the magenta video except with a red/white ink mix. I have a red wash, maybe I can spray that reverse-zenithal just to get the tint. I was hoping to cut down on the steps but I guess pink primer -> white zenithal is the only real way to do that.

Prime in White, cover everything in light pink (more or less), then spray a darker pink from below for the shades, then white again from the top, then spray the yellow ink. It'll be super bright but that doesn't require a pink ink (and pink paint is always good to have for flesh wounds and other disgusting things anyway).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I’m trying to understand photography, CC is appreciated

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

And some of my old D&D party minis from months ago

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

I’m trying to understand photography, CC is appreciated

I like these a lot. The burgundy cloth, green vines and bright bones contrast really well with the dull rusty armor. Nice dress too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I don’t think the rock works so well as a backdrop, the effect of it *could* work if you could have it out of focus, but it’s too close to the mini for that to happen

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

This Skelle and Skellehorse are having just the best day of their unlife.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Man, Impcat is a really loving cool app, but I wish there were more model options out there, even fan man. Like, I came across an AM infantry troop, but no other AM models. I guess it's okay to test general color schemes on that one model to see how an army might look.

What models are available with Impcat? I thought about getting it, but I wanted to know if it included Chaos Space Marines.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

What models are available with Impcat? I thought about getting it, but I wanted to know if it included Chaos Space Marines.

This MEGA library maintained by the impcat subreddit has the ones made so far:

https://mega.nz/folder/T19wwSyT#4SMrkOuvzP-jsuaTpufFlQ

I see a Rubric Marine, a Death Guard and a generic Chaos Marine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Max Wilco posted:

There's a couple, here's the basic chaos marine model. It feels like there's basically one model available from each faction, a few more for space Marines.

Edit-- here's the official repository. I can't imagine this would be filez since it's just images of models. https://mega.nz/#F!T19wwSyT!4SMrkOuvzP-jsuaTpufFlQ

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 9, 2020