Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

HiroProtagonist posted:

I feel like this is a dumb question but I finally figured I'd just ask it.

I've seen people referring to Mirificus as a bot, but like, there's no explanation or announcement in any of the post histories that I can find. Also the 2004 regdate. So if taken at face value (instead of those being just jokes) I'm assuming someone donated their account to make it happen, and it probably came about back when dsmart's discord was the place to have SC chat?

This is really unimportant, but for whatever reason I feel like its a piece of goon SC lore that I'm missing.

:lol:

He's not a bot. :)

He is a nice guy though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

So just out of curiosity but what does snowboarding and Star Citizen even have in common? Can you actually snow board? As trademark infringing as it was, at least their star kitten nonsense was actually space-based.

http://www.idriskis.com/about_history.html

Buy an Idris.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pixelate posted:

What the gently caress is this now?

CHARACTER BECOMES A PINK BALL WHEN GAME COMMITS TO HIGH RAM USAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTdEQyCkuec

I thought maybe this was just the camera bug where it adds an extra view in the middle of space. But they don’t have any hands when they interact with the screens, so I guess maybe they are a pink ball. In space.

Chris saw 2001, shouted at the nearest dev to implement it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Titanic posted:

He's not a bot. :)

He is a nice guy though!

lmao

i guess it was just an in-joke i wasn't in on then

anyway thanks for clearing it up, because i was struggling to figure out how someone managed to scrape everything from reddit to spectrum and somehow cobble together a workable and interface for automating it on an old rear end vbulletin forum, ahah

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HiroProtagonist posted:

lmao

Wait, you're believing the word of a boat about a bot?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

HiroProtagonist posted:

lmao

anyway thanks for clearing it up, because i was struggling to figure out how someone managed to scrape everything from reddit to spectrum and somehow cobble together a workable and interface for automating it on an old rear end vbulletin forum, ahah

Lol, I've wondered myself from time to time.

It's the combination of him never saying anything other than quoting stuff and his uncanny ability to pull random historical Star Citizen quotes out of nowhere.

Like someone will mention some obscure thing- like that smug letter about how awesome SC fans were and how they would get the last laugh over the awful doubters, signed at the bottom by "wolf" something-or-other, and then boom! There it is...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/fWUhdEN.gifv

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

HiroProtagonist posted:

I feel like this is a dumb question but I finally figured I'd just ask it.

I've seen people referring to Mirificus as a bot, but like, there's no explanation or announcement in any of the post histories that I can find. Also the 2004 regdate. So if taken at face value (instead of those being just jokes) I'm assuming someone donated their account to make it happen, and it probably came about back when dsmart's discord was the place to have SC chat?

This is really unimportant, but for whatever reason I feel like its a piece of goon SC lore that I'm missing.

The sad answer is Mirificus is not a bot.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 10, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Hav posted:

Coming out of the oceans was a mistake.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

This really reaches me.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

happyhippy posted:

Chris saw 2001, shouted at the nearest dev to implement it.

Actually that movie did take an ungodly long time to make.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

Actually that movie did take an ungodly long time to make.

The difference between Stanley Kubrick and Chris Roberts is that Kubrick did eventually finish his projects

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

It's kinda worrisome that I can not only recognize the redditors based on what they write but how they write it.

drat

Every time I take a break from this thread, I come back figuring "Okay it has been long enough since I read the thread (or my PMs on reddit) that I won't instantly recognize all of these quotes" and every time I am immediately proven wrong lmao

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Lol, I've wondered myself from time to time.

It's the combination of him never saying anything other than quoting stuff and his uncanny ability to pull random historical Star Citizen quotes out of nowhere.

Like someone will mention some obscure thing- like that smug letter about how awesome SC fans were and how they would get the last laugh over the awful doubters, signed at the bottom by "wolf" something-or-other, and then boom! There it is...

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Lmao

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
at least our vileness is free :colbert:

except for the 10 DOLLAR FEE

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Lammasu posted:

That's another thing about Star Citizen I don't get. Most game micro transactions are based on instant gratification, but with these ships even if the thing was on the up and up are YEARS off yet people keep poring money into it.

It's actually really simple. We've all had impulse buy where we actually got our hands on what we bought and found out "Oh... this isn't really that great". Star Citizen has bypassed that risk by never actually solidifying the purchase.

There's a old gif where when Crobberts is asked to write what SC is about on a white board and he scrawls out "dreams" on the board. And really that is the true form of Star Citizen, they're not selling JPG's of spaceships they're selling the dream of what you'll do with them. While most of the "haters" are looking at the actual state of the game, all the whales aren't seeing that. Like Narcissus staring into his pool they gaze into Star Citizen and see their dream game looking back. Every pledge they make is them buying more of their own dream. It doesn't matter that the real game is a buggy, un-fun broken mess, because they know that when Crobberts finally completes his game, it will be the game they've been dreaming of.

Of course here in reality, there's no way CIG can ever make a game that makes everyone happy (heck, they can't even seem to make a game period). As such we're in the weird limbo state that Star Citizer and Squadron 404 now dwell in. Nothing can be finished, because the moment anything is done it collapses some whales dream, so everything must both "Just around the corner" and "In tier 0" to keep those fragile whale dreams from colliding with reality.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 10, 2020

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Are they making any effort to attract new... players? Suckers? at this point? Or are they just all in on milking the whales?

If you trust the pledge tracker they are having the best year ever and growing all but exponentially, so who cares?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

trucutru posted:

I have explained this before but this is an old-rear end bug (at least 5 years old): The core of their character is a ball to which other body parts are attached. If -for whatever reason- you the game cannot attach the pc's torso to the ball then you're left as a stupid floating ball.

Yeah it's just the way it's presenting here that's odd, if it's the same thing. (Pink ball always in space, no matter where they are).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Viscous Soda posted:

It's actually really simple. We've all had impulse buy where we actually got our hands on what we bought and found out "Oh... this isn't really that great". Star Citizen has bypassed that risk by never actually solidifying the purchase.

There's a old gif where when Crobberts is asked to write what SC is about on a white board and he scrawls out "dreams" on the board. And really that is the true form of Star Citizen, they're not selling JPG's of spaceships they're selling the dream of what you'll do with them. While most of the "haters" are looking at the actual state of the game, all the whales aren't seeing that. Like Narcissus staring into his pool they gaze into Star Citizen and see their dream game looking back. Every pledge they make is them buying more of their own dream. It doesn't matter that the real game is a buggy, un-fun broken mess, because they know that when Crobberts finally completes his game, it will be the game they've been dreaming of.

Of course here in reality, there's no way CIG can ever make a game that makes everyone happy (heck, they can't even seem to make a game period). As such we're in the weird limbo state that Star Citizer and Squadron 404 now dwell in. Nothing can be finished, because the moment anything is done it collapses some whales dream, so everything must both "Just around the corner" and "In tier 0" to keep those fragile whale dreams from colliding with reality.

There's a parallel thread that reflects and feeds on this, which is whales with mutually exclusives desires about what they want the game to be, pledging against each other for the game type they want most. PVP fans pledging for pirate ships, PVE fans pledging for indestructible yachts. Better keep spending, or the other "side" will win!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: Chris Roberts works out the kinks in new AI

https://v.redd.it/7mkse3zdxyf51/DASH_240.mp4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: Time till someone glitches into my ship after landing ANY% WR 0:00:10

https://v.redd.it/0qq3ne39j3g51/DASH_480.mp4

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is still my favorite piece of poo poo out of the Star Citizen community. I even memorized the page it was last posted on (895) just so I could come back and look at it. It's just so loving maddening in how deranged it is as some sort of bizarre declaration of victory - but it's also CIG and Roberts' final victory - the scam is not... building up a pool of money and then running away with it.

SC is unique in a sense because it's the next level of scamming - they're not selling you the idea of a game that they're clearly never going to make and then run off with the money. The scam they're selling is the fantasy of sitting at home and dreaming up the game you dumped thousands of dollars into hoping will come into existence one day, even though at this point it's blatantly obvious that'll never be the case. It's the fantasy of being a starship commander, of being an ace jetfighter, and yes, you're gonna do all those things once Roberts and his army of freshfaced straight out of gamer college morons can finally jerry-rig it together. You're not paying for the actual game, you're paying for the hours and hours spent dreaming of the perfect space game that you want to experience one day.

Because knowing a wee bit about actual game development, at some point, which should have been like mid-2014 at the very latest, you have to start slashing features and mechanics and focus on what you can actually do given the money and deadlines. And when Roberts is forced out and this begins to happen, a lot of true believers are going to lose their loving minds that their fantasies are being shattered right before their very eyes.

Or worse yet, they pull a Mafia 2, and sell those extra features and mechanics they had to cut as DLC.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

The Titanic posted:

So just out of curiosity but what does snowboarding and Star Citizen even have in common? Can you actually snow board? As trademark infringing as it was, at least their star kitten nonsense was actually space-based.

Star Citizen has a planet that has a snow on it

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

Somehow, in the last month it seems like a good chunk of the internet became aware of the clusterfuck that is hololive. I blame the doggo playing Doom Doog.

A bit of a sidetrack, but SC is whimpering away anyway - I actually started watching VTubers more closely during early-ish Kizuna Ai stages already, covered her in anime panel (because technically VTubers are anime played out live, with characters, development and often even goals) and knew of Hololive even before their Azur lane and WoWs collabs, which made them famous in the west.

Still prefer Ars Almal and Hanayori dorms, though w

trucutru posted:

No, a good chunk of f2p games have zero actual gameplay (See: KanColle, a.k.a. OG Shipfucker), they are actually slow cookie-clickers in disguise where you accumulate stuff to be able to (automatically) clear levels in order to get more stuff. As long as there is something to buy that kinda promises that you'll be able to get ahead faster then there will people dumping thousands on it.

If anything, you're describing AL or other F2Ps, not KanColle. KanColle is about resource management, sure, but there's lots of preparations needed for the events and in no way it's done automatically. I've seen people with good leveled ships and top tier equipment just totally gently caress up everything - formations, shelling order, equipping girls, really everything. And that's some feat, especially when wikis and community discords exist.

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 10, 2020

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Thuorn posted:

More board seats CAN be added, but no paperwork has yet to be filed with the added seats. Sandi ISNT on the board as of the approval of this resolution.

Have another look. She was appointed on 1 June 2019. The AP01 form was filed and is available on Companies House. You can also look at the accounts filed on 10 October 2019, which shows she was appointed on 1 June 2019. Until a TM01 form is filed (which has not been filed) Sandi is a director of the company.

There is no paperwork to file if you take advantage of a clause in an articles of association, other than the paperwork that has been filed. That being the APO1 and the articles of association itself.

They do make a lot of mistakes in their filings but as present, you have to rely on the paperwork filed and everything including the articles of association say that Sandi is a director. If you think about it logically it is most likely that the clause was put in for the very purpose of covering Sandi's existing director appointment without having to put her name in the articles of association.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

trucutru posted:

No, a good chunk of f2p games have zero actual gameplay (See: KanColle, a.k.a. OG Shipfucker), they are actually slow cookie-clickers in disguise where you accumulate stuff to be able to (automatically) clear levels in order to get more stuff. As long as there is something to buy that kinda promises that you'll be able to get ahead faster then there will people dumping thousands on it.

Sooner or later this sort of business model will become heavily regulated since it is actually predatory and destroys a shitload of lives.

But even on that level of vapid level of a game, those people actually play/run the game, more than half of backers have never played SC at any point in the 6+ years it's been "playable".

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

#ISANDWITHMANDY

The most memorable thing from star citizen tales was when a hundred goons came together on discord and literally watched the wheels come off the rover. Holy poo poo the laughter. Best SC day ever.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What would happen if Chris Roberts designed a house? Or was in charge of installing plumbing? Or if he was a showrunner for a cartoon?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Taintrunner posted:

Or worse yet, they pull a Mafia 2, and sell those extra features and mechanics they had to cut as DLC.

You know every game does this right?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

then boom! There it is...

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Some interesting comments about the state of the game on Spectrum:

quote:

It takes upwards of 5 minutes to move from an orbiting space station to the planet's surface and once you're in the atmosphere it feels like your ship is moving through molasses - that's in the Mustang Omega, which is a racing ship. It is an exercise in tedium.

Everything CIG does to the game makes it more tedious. Arena Commander was great back in the day - responsive flight, visceral combat. It was quick to get into the action and the core gameplay was enjoyable. Then came the Persistent Universe - Port Olisar was a bit slower to get into the action but it was still quick to get to your ship and out and about. Then came quantum travel and excessive journey times between planets. Then came pointless elevator and train rides. Then came the new flight model and ships became less responsive and slower.

How are you supposed to move between at any speed between points of interest without quantum travel? The answer is you can't. No Man's Sky addresses this through different flight speeds, allowing relatively quick traversal between planets, asteroids and space stations. Yet CIG seems to have given absolutely no consideration to this. As for atmospheric flight, I've played numerous flight simulators over the decades and none have handled so inconsistently or poorly as the current flight model.

quote:

The OP is correct, very little if anything related to money making is working at all. Box missions not worth anyone's time, cargo runs ruined and no economy or activity. For example, If I were to do box missions to make the aUEC to buy the 2 ships I lost with the patch I would have to do 900 missions. With average play time of 3-4 hours a day it would take only 181.4 DAYS.

Well, other think that you should be shunned, most people have abandoned Spectrum because of people like you. That is why there are so few thread and responses in here. CIG mostly listens to reddit.
This whole place is full of white knights protecting every stupid decision CIG makes, constantly reminding us that this is an alpha and impede any dialog about anything.

The new FM, in atmospheric, is completely useless. Ships randomly pitch down 90+ degrees, approaches to New Babbage are a mixed bag due to RNG of wind speed blowing you around and the other cities are full of game breaking and/or ship destroying bugs.

quote:

I can only totally agree with your words ...
The basics of what we have does not bode well. Nothing is thought for the game play. Everything is in the graphic demonstration. Even if also from this point of view, they often lie to us. Remember Arcop in demo, and compared to what we actually got .... I have to admit I am losing faith in their ability to do what they promised. A revolutionary game, full of immersion, multiplayer mechanics, (we are far from massively multiplayer) ... And what I'm sure of: This game will have cost too much money and time for this game. that it will really be ...
Disappointment arrives, and yet at the beginning (4 years ago) I had no doubts in them .... This is no longer the case ...

quote:

Worst thing is that if SC PU is any indication of what to expect in SQ42 in terms of side missions, locations, planetary environments, fauna/flora, physics interaction with items and player character/ships/vehicle, HUD/UI, performance, stability, glitches/bugs, rewards/loot, item upgrades, AI/NPCs etc etc.
If the PU is any indication, we're looking at either several more years for a SQ42 release, or we're looking at a game that will get shredded by the gaming community at release day.

And if SQ42 is ~2 years longer in development, it will mean that SC PU will continue to getting developed by only a skeleton crew. And if SQ42 comes out early and flops, I think it will massively hurt the project fundings overall.

The only hope imo is at this point that the cutscenes and storytelling are so good that it overshadows even the most tedious, shallow and boring gameplay inbetween. And imo, the one thing CIG has already proven with all their commercial videos for ingame ships, is that they are very good at telling short stories and creating cinematic cutscenes with their game engine/assets.

So maybe they can get that thing out early without destroying the entire project over it and we can just focus on SC for a while to get some actual meaningful gameplay

Star Citizer: The only hope is at this point that the cutscenes and storytelling are so good that it overshadows even the most tedious, shallow and boring gameplay inbetween

Nyast fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 10, 2020

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

trucutru posted:

I have explained this before but this is an old-rear end bug (at least 5 years old): The core of their character is a ball to which other body parts are attached. If -for whatever reason- you the game cannot attach the pc's torso to the ball then you're left as a stupid floating ball.

At the end of our journey we discovered that the orb was inside us, all along.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandweed posted:

You know every game does this right?

No, Mafia 2 got in trouble for a while because there were files in the released game and other leaked stuff that were very much hinting at trying to sell very baseline mechanics like melee weapons, etc. as core additions to the gameplay. It was super nefarious at the time and got cancelled, but people were absolutely livid and rightfully so.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This has aged incredibly well as we laugh and post pictures of bears and spectrum turns inside out with bile and hatred lol

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nyast posted:

Some interesting comments about the state of the game on Spectrum:

quote:

Arena Commander was great back in the day - responsive flight, visceral combat. It was quick to get into the action and the core gameplay was enjoyable.

Really? REALLY?

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyjOwXnsgk

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 10, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“At the beginning, four years ago” is delicious, like the game had already had five years of development time at that point, which is a long time for even the most ambitious titles. But let’s gloss over the fact it’s taken twice as much money and double the time to produce one percent of a game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lmao

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Torquemada posted:

“At the beginning, four years ago” is delicious, like the game had already had five years of development time at that point, which is a long time for even the most ambitious titles. But let’s gloss over the fact it’s taken twice as much money and double the time to produce one percent of a game.

It might be his personal "the beginning" (the day he bought his first idris)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

oh jeez i forgot about that. not aging well. wasn't that the guy sending inappropriate pictures to people? yikes