Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

But what's the investment for most of them? They're in it for the thrill they feel as they post on facebook, or most are, anyway. There are of course the bombers and shooters who will get active if trump loses, but I'm not aware of much irl organizing by these people.

The right wing has generally lived with wild conspiracism as a feature of the culture, as seen in rush limbaugh or how fox news gets into stuff like the seth rich murder, but for the most part they believe these things and just keep grinding through their pathetic, pointless lives of suburban consumption. Like, belief doesn't seem to mean anything to them except as a cultural signifier or a way to engage emotionally.

The investment can be something as little as believing in it in the first place. It's hard to admit you were wrong, especially if they were vocal about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/allymutnick/status/1292454679234871298?s=19

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I don't think Qanon is anti-Semitic enough to collaborate with flat Earthers.
They've already got blood libel. Fully transitioning the anti-Semitic subtext into text would take about a week.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Frankly, if they had any guts and really believed all these horrible things were going on right under their noses, they should all be making nuisances of themselves like the guy who stormed Comey Pizza or the one who tried to crash a train into a ship. That they’re content to just flash Q signs at each other in public is a damning indictment of their character.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

"Oh my, she's so openly racist! Oh, dear! What will we do if she wins?" *clutches pearls*, *twitters*

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

None of them are going to rescue the mole children themselves or, heaven forbid, take one of them in once they've been saved from the Comet Pizza basement. After all, they're deformed!

I wonder if they post about how much they care about these totally real and not at all imaginary mole children because they have totally alienated their own.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

Frankly, if they had any guts and really believed all these horrible things were going on right under their noses, they should all be making nuisances of themselves like the guy who stormed Comey Pizza or the one who tried to crash a train into a ship. That they’re content to just flash Q signs at each other in public is a damning indictment of their character.

Right? The scale of the atrocities they claim to believe in should be nearly impossible to hide.

The problem with believing in massive, world dominating secret organizations without evidence though is that you also believe that they are capable of perfect invisibility.

Which pretty much excuses you from having to actually go look for any evidence to support your claims.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Q has it all under control, you just need to Trust The Plan

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In fact interfering might actually disrupt Trumps carefully laid plans (of course crowing about them constantly online is fine) so they're actually being the most responsible by not doing anything.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Q people are screwed up in tons of ways, but "thinks something horrible is happening in the world but isn't personally fist fighting it" is pretty standard human behavior.

Like I think everyone in this thread can name at least a hundred true awful things that are happening right this second that they aren't like, personally shooting people with a gun to try to stop.Thinking something really bad is happening somewhere and mostly just holding a sign sometimes is kinda standard and most of the way society functions at all.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Mad Hamish posted:

I wonder if they post about how much they care about these totally real and not at all imaginary mole children because they have totally alienated their own.

My take is that a lot of them fixate on the mole children only because it lets them daydream about how their side will stop the absolute worst, most evil situation they can imagine: incomprehensibly evil Satanists kidnapping innocent babies and stealing them away from the daylight so they can be eaten by the politicians you don't like. They get a rush of moral superiority every time they mentally replay through their fantasy of Trump leading the charge into the baby dens, comparing themselves to all the sheeple and liberals out there who implicitly support baby cannibalism by not spending all day thinking about it.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 10, 2020

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Climate scientists understand better than anyone there's a death cult conspiracy succeeding at destroying our civilization at rapid pace- why aren't these cowards doing everything in their power to stop the conspiracy? (Question is partly sincere.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Understanding the existence of a massive scale threat also generally comes with understanding that there isn't anything you can do to stop it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

johnny dappertweed posted:

Climate scientists understand better than anyone there's a death cult conspiracy succeeding at destroying our civilization at rapid pace- why aren't these cowards doing everything in their power to stop the conspiracy? (Question is partly sincere.)

I mean Owlofcreamcheese is right, it's not *unusual* to believe bad things are happening but not feel empowered to help. We all presumably know ICE is doing horrible things in detention centers, but nobodys made an active attempt to liberate those kids by force. At least that I can tell.

The real criticism of QAnon is less lack of action and more continued belief in something with no evidence. Including the part that a magical savior is going to fix the problem any day now, so don't worry about it.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 10, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A couple of people did, actually, understandably it didn't go very well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

A couple of people did, actually, understandably it didn't go very well.

If I missed a report then yeah thats my bad, but sounds like case in point. It's understandable why people aren't always so gung-ho even when people's lives are on the line.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Understanding the existence of a massive scale threat also generally comes with understanding that there isn't anything you can do to stop it.

Yeah and I'm no better, doing the climate activist equivalent of flashing Q signs on the internet message board.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The real criticism of QAnon is less lack of action and more continued belief in something with no evidence. Including the part that a magical savior is going to fix the problem any day now, so don't worry about it.

Okay, agreed.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

johnny dappertweed posted:

Extinction Rebellion gave it a pretty good go. So did all the school kids around the world.

I use the past tense there but it was all very active right up until February, hopefully it's just paused.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Yeah, this isn't going away if Trump loses and honestly it'll probably get worse. Many cultists often become more devout after prophecies fail or the leaders are proven wrong. It's a weird combination of belief, sunk cost fallacy, and delusion.

I could see it getting worse short term but none of these people can tolerate the stench of obvious failure for long.

Look at how the various Doomsday cults fell apart for an example of this.

It always takes longer than you think but eventually they collapse due to the failures of the cult leadership/saints.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Impatience is beginning to brew:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158692114782303/permalink/614698015848375/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I could see it getting worse short term but none of these people can tolerate the stench of obvious failure for long.

It always takes longer than you think but eventually they collapse due to the failures of the cult leadership/saints.

I think what makes QAnon different from other doomsday cults is that the online aspect and the fact that it doesn't nominally require any dedication helps keep people on board. Like joining an actual in-person cult can be a lot of work, you have to pay some sort of membership whether that be time, money, relationships or all 3. With Q you can just keep on believing it in the background, the people who are giving money or losing family over this are more or less doing it by choice.

And those are who you need to watch for, the real diehards. I think the vast majority might gently caress off once Trump is removed, whether than be 2021 or 2025. They'll look at it and go "well I guess he failed or I was lied to" and move on. The ones really into it will cling to the idea that Trump is now working as a shadow operative, but a good one so its ok. And they'll likely keep themselves going with an echo chamber.

Will it lead to actually violent action? ehhhh I don't know. Probably some, obviously we've had a few already and once Trump is removed from office its going to break a lot of them. But I don't think it's going to be a new ISIS terrorist cell or anything.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

There's a reddit support page for people whose family members have fallen into the Q cult, and gently caress it is grim reading :smith:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AKovacCTV/status/1292471340210032640

https://twitter.com/DeckoDecks/status/1292621859020734475

fuuuuuck I hate these people (the conspiracy mongerers, not the op) so much

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Trust the klan.....er plan.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

We all presumably know ICE is doing horrible things in detention centers, but nobodys made an active attempt to liberate those kids by force. At least that I can tell.

Willem Van Spronsen has entered the chat

But yeah it didn't go well

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Q people are screwed up in tons of ways, but "thinks something horrible is happening in the world but isn't personally fist fighting it" is pretty standard human behavior.

Like I think everyone in this thread can name at least a hundred true awful things that are happening right this second that they aren't like, personally shooting people with a gun to try to stop.Thinking something really bad is happening somewhere and mostly just holding a sign sometimes is kinda standard and most of the way society functions at all.

yeah that's true

I mean the world is actually ruled by pedophile cults and everyone knows it, QAnons aren't even wrong about that, they're just wrong about thinking Trump isn't one of them

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's kind of a blessing. QAnon Anonymous found that some of the more organized and religious-y QAnon people were planning to adopt some of the rescued mole children and had gone so far as to find the adoption rules that would basically let them form small religious group homes and adopt children into them.

Also some of them literally think it's about demons. Like I said, Satanic Panic 2.0. So, if you don't have a secret Q-level team backing you you don't have much of a chance, so it's fine to just sit on your computer and trust the plan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea there was a massive effort post in one of the CT FB groups i'm in that had at least 50 images in it that really went deep into the Qanon rabbit hole. It is pretty clear that Satanism and Demons and all that standard bugaboos really hard core American Christians get wound up about are just accepted as being a canonical part of Qanon.

There was also the whole thing about the red shoes. A lot of stuff about them, that anyone who wears these red shoes is a member of the Satanic pedo cult that murders and skins children, and makes shoes out of the skin to show off. Aren't those shoes just really expensive Italian shoes that are super fashionable? Plus there's an "interview" with McCauly Caulkin where some big name democrat tells him the red shoes he was wearing were made from Heather O'Rourke.

Theres people are super horny on the child murder and skinning. Oh and any suggestion that Trump was involved with Epstien or openly bragged about wanting to gently caress his daugher and a history of sexual assault, naw that's just made up by the Cabal, even the stuff from before he was president. They KNEW he'd be president some day so they planted all these stories about how he's a giant sex monster fuckwit racist.

It's like the Birthers claim that the Democratic party knew Obama was going to be president so they planted a story in the 60s where he was born in Hawaii, because he was really born in Kenyatown, Kenya.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

twistedmentat posted:

There was also the whole thing about the red shoes. A lot of stuff about them, that anyone who wears these red shoes is a member of the Satanic pedo cult that murders and skins children, and makes shoes out of the skin to show off. Aren't those shoes just really expensive Italian shoes that are super fashionable?

I mean, you’d practically have to be in a cult to justify the cost of Louboutins, but it’s typical rich people bullshit, not murderous pedophile bullshit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blue Moonlight posted:

I mean, you’d practically have to be in a cult to justify the cost of Louboutins, but it’s typical rich people bullshit, not murderous pedophile bullshit.

2300bux, holy poo poo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

twistedmentat posted:

2300bux, holy poo poo.

lol and here i thought i overspent on this fancy video card that i use every day

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The Guardian just put out an article that goes into how many people follow QAnon: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/11/qanon-facebook-groups-growing-conspiracy-theory

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/11/qanon-facebook-groups-growing-conspiracy-theory posted:

The Guardian has documented more than 170 QAnon groups, pages and accounts across Facebook and Instagram with more than 4.5m aggregate followers. The Guardian has also documented dedicated communities for QAnon followers in at least 15 countries on Facebook...

...These newer groups and pages also demonstrate the spread of QAnon around the world. They include groups dedicated to QAnon followers in the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Romania, Serbia and Slovenia. The largest international QAnon groups documented by the Guardian were German, Italian, Polish, Dutch, Australian and British.

So.... that's just a whole bunch of global crazy.

also they quote someone who 100% does not get prageru

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/11/qanon-facebook-groups-growing-conspiracy-theory posted:

Brian Friedberg, a senior researcher at the Harvard Shorenstein Center’s Technology and Social Change Project, warned that Facebook needs to be incredibly careful about how it manages any crackdown on QAnon....

he said. “What if PragerU decided to do a two-week long series debunking QAnon?”

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

quote:

[a researcher] warned that Facebook needs to be incredibly careful about how it manages any crackdown on QAnon, especially with the election approaching. Since QAnon adherents already believe that the truth of secret pedophile cabals is being suppressed by the liberal media, a crackdown could serve to only reinforce unfounded beliefs.

... effectively combating QAnon will likely require “factual interventions” from conservative media outlets and leaders who are trusted by those most likely to believe in QAnon – older, white, conservative Evangelical Christians.

Oh cool, let's place our hopes on those guys!

He might be right, but on the other hand if his aim were the opposite, keep QAnon strong and growing, the guidance would be approximately the same. "Election's coming up so don't shutter the Facebook groups yet and let's see how Fox News and the corpse of Billy Graham want to play this."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know that nothing suppresses people developing radical beliefs founded in the inherent contradictions of society quite like getting the establishment elements to tell them they're dumb and stupid,

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

CommunityEdition posted:

I agree with this. It seems like a lot of the conservatives on my Facebook who share Q adjacent posts are mostly using it as a another reason to demonize liberals and really anyone who disagrees with dear leader.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1293183851770966025?s=19

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Trumpy Bear will protect you from the harsh reality of existence, directly resultant of you voting for Trump. :911:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

While that's true, the Jehovah's Witnesses are still going strong. They could just default to the day of reckoning is coming soon, just not exactly when.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Karma Comedian posted:

Willem Van Spronsen has entered the chat

But yeah it didn't go well

I should have clarified I meant present company.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

While that's true, the Jehovah's Witnesses are still going strong. They could just default to the day of reckoning is coming soon, just not exactly when.

It's any day now, I can feel it

Had a friend's mom was a Jehovah's witness. She ended up, sadly, commiting suicide and the whole church turned their back on my friend. She couldn't even have a service at the church because they said "your mother betrayed God". I'm still furious about that poo poo and it was ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I know that nothing suppresses people developing radical beliefs founded in the inherent contradictions of society quite like getting the establishment elements to tell them they're dumb and stupid,

Although interesting enough, it's been resistant to pushes from within the community too. Alex Jones has been against it for a little while and called it a honeytrap, generally. It just led to a divide and now he's possibly getting his ducks in a row to carve out a little place in a fractured Q for himself anyway. For a time, a lot of the original believers gave up on it as a "LARP" and admitted it was all fake bullshit. But still it lurches forward. There's just apparently a real demand for something like this in that circle and anyone who fights it is going to hit a brick wall.