Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aaaaa imagine how slippery that couch must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mister Speaker posted:

He's got to have a hidden harness somewhere, right?

... Right?

Full video with take-off and landing and some of the build is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4usUy2QLjRc

So.. no, I don't think so.

He's a paragliding instructor and apparently planned the stunt for 2 years, but I don't think that outweighs the OSHA. He has a new one on his instagram with him and another guy a a picnic table and he looks strapped in there. https://www.instagram.com/hasan_kaval/ Also pics of him shirtless on a horse.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Iowa and Illinois getting pummeled by a storm type called a "derecho" today. 112mph winds recorded.

https://twitter.com/GammaCounter/status/1292947835080585222

Iowa goon checking in. It was a beautiful sunny morning. Around 10 I heard some tornado sirens in the distance but it was so nice out as I sat on the porch watching the neighbor’s cat and mine have words that my brain said “Ah yes, the monthly siren test.”

It wasn’t until it suddenly got dark enough that we had to break out flashlights inside after the power dropped that I realized Monday isn’t test day. Or is it? I forgot. Should probably figure that out.

Anyhow, it’s now 12 hours later and we’re still without power. Midamerican’s website reports over 100k in the Des Moines area are affected by the outage, and a quarter million across the state.

My phone battery is running out, send hel

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

why is fernando alonso wearing a petronas shirt

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

ethanol posted:

why is fernando alonso wearing a petronas shirt

He should really be wearing an xbone shirt amirite?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ror posted:

He's a paragliding instructor and apparently planned the stunt for 2 years, but I don't think that outweighs the OSHA. He has a new one on his instagram with him and another guy a a picnic table and he looks strapped in there. https://www.instagram.com/hasan_kaval/ Also pics of him shirtless on a horse.

:aaaaa:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ror posted:

It's not much but he does have his right foot tucked under some kind of metal bar

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

It's not much but he does have his right foot tucked under some kind of metal bar

Lol nope. Those are the slippers he changed into after taking his sneakers off mid-flight (mid-fall?)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shai-Hulud posted:

Eh, problem is it's been running like forever so even if you get everything shut down cleanly you have no idea if all components come back up and if all processes will run they way they are supposed to. Not a lot of redundancy too.
I suggest a hardware upgrade and to virtualize the whole thing.

Otto Neurath posted:

We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Where a beam is taken away a new one must at once be put there, and for this the rest of the ship is used as support. In this way, by using the old beams and driftwood the ship can be shaped entirely anew, but only by gradual reconstruction.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Bad Munki posted:

Iowa goon checking in. It was a beautiful sunny morning. Around 10 I heard some tornado sirens in the distance but it was so nice out as I sat on the porch watching the neighbor’s cat and mine have words that my brain said “Ah yes, the monthly siren test.”

It wasn’t until it suddenly got dark enough that we had to break out flashlights inside after the power dropped that I realized Monday isn’t test day. Or is it? I forgot. Should probably figure that out.

Anyhow, it’s now 12 hours later and we’re still without power. Midamerican’s website reports over 100k in the Des Moines area are affected by the outage, and a quarter million across the state.

My phone battery is running out, send hel

get used to sitting in your car to charge your phone for the next 3 days. also hope your freezer is either packed full or completely empty

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's a bit of wind, drat

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Why the hell would I poo poo in my—oh. OH. Sitting.

I saw that on the news, them saying up to three days. I’ve got a chest freezer that’s fairly full and should do fine, and barring that, I have friends with power.

Hell, I have neighbors with power, or at least almost-neighbors. I live a couple miles off pavement. Every house on the way out here has power back on, except our little dead end back road of 7 houses. Because of that, I expect we’re pretty low on the priority list. Yeehaw!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hee should probably have a sestt belt on but other than that what else is there to say but, dudes rock

Also Jon Bois did an do ep on this already

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GotLag posted:

The air pressure from the forward motion at least compensates from the "sliding forwards off the couch" force you get with that kind of upholstery.

But seriously, seatbelt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VectorSigma posted:

get used to sitting in your car to charge your phone for the next 3 days. also hope your freezer is either packed full or completely empty

I just went shopping this morning! I think my buddy has power, so I'll either bring stuff by him or buy a cooler and ice.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Mister Speaker posted:

He's got to have a hidden harness somewhere, right?

... Right?

A harness to what though? If that apparatus he's flying messes up the parachute he might have a better chance with terminal velocity than being strapped in.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Uthor posted:

I just went shopping this morning! I think my buddy has power, so I'll either bring stuff by him or buy a cooler and ice.

A fully stocked chest freezer will go several days before even starting to thaw, provided you open it sparingly and briefly, and it isn't in a space that requires A/C to not be 90°F in August in Iowa. Ice can be used to fill air space in freezers and add to thermal mass, moving to a cooler will only hasten loss. While the freezer portion of a typical fridge ain't got poo poo on a good chest freezer, it still beats a cooler.

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 11, 2020

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The beer fridge is the Midwest's greatest cultural achievement.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

A fully stocked chest freezer will go several days before even starting to thaw, provided you open it sparingly and briefly, and it isn't in a space that requires A/C to not be 90°F in August in Iowa. Ice can be used to fill air space in freezers and add to thermal mass, moving to a cooler will only hasten loss. While the freezer portion of a typical fridge ain't got poo poo on a good chest freezer, it still beats a cooler.

Good point, but it's not full. And I'm more worried about the fresh meat in the fridge.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Groda posted:

The beer fridge is the Midwest's greatest cultural achievement.

You mean being too lazy to get rid of your old fridge so you just shove it in the corner in the garage and call it a "beer fridge"?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Nocheez posted:

You mean being too lazy to get rid of your old fridge so you just shove it in the corner in the garage and call it a "beer fridge"?

The Midwesterner famously uses every part of the fridge.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

fishing with the fam posted:

The Midwesterner famously uses every part of the fridge.

Hot-dish stacks nicely for a reason

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

This is why you never drive across a flooded road. For all you know, it's not there anymore.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is the truckmarine driver guy wearing black rubber gloves and no shirt?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

and he has a mystery attache case the throws to safety...probably with the codes in it.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Just an extreme t-shirt tan.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Combine the concepts in the truck driving into road lake with this video for the full picture of why you don't drive through standing water. People have been sucked into nature's terlet that has opened below a road.

Slightly less dramatically swept into the nearest river. Even if it's only inches but it's moving. Somebody post that tour bus driving through waterfalls on a mountain road next.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VectorSigma posted:

26 hours and we're back on. Hopefully for good this time: power came on at 2:30AM last, and then promptly shut off again ten minutes later. Hopefully it stays on this time, the fridge was getting noticeably less cool inside.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qdxn12eFrS1r0uzl6.mp4

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The storm passed next to me, it got very windy, gusting pretty high, had some horizontal rain but nothing crazy. Got a text from my mom around lunch, she asked how I was doing

Umm, I mean there are people and circumstances in my life that make it stressful but you already knew that. Doing ok I guess?

'Your brother and I are sheltering in a Hy-Vee cooler'

Yeah I guess I wouldn't have wanted to be on the road but uhh, ok

Got off work and a friend called and asked me if I still had power, told me his ETA for having power back was a couple days, one of his windows had blown in and he had pushed his table up against the window frame to try and hold back some of the wind, his car was totaled and he had lost a tree and gained three new trees on his property. I checked the nearest metars and they read gusting 67, gusting 68, sensor data not available, sensor data not available

It was pretty surreal how long it took before I realized how horrific that storm was

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

This is osha. Did they really make the walk-in cooler their shelter area.

Most walk-ins are styrofoam walls lined with tinfoil, filled with heavily overloaded shelving that can easily tip over. :negative:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
That thought crossed my mind. No LOS to windows inside a cooler and it looks like a bank vault are probably why they chose it, I'm sure the bathrooms are listed as the actual wind shelters

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The storm passed next to me, it got very windy, gusting pretty high, had some horizontal rain but nothing crazy. Got a text from my mom around lunch, she asked how I was doing

Umm, I mean there are people and circumstances in my life that make it stressful but you already knew that. Doing ok I guess?

Yeah I guess I wouldn't have wanted to be on the road but uhh, ok

Got off work and a friend called and asked me if I still had power, told me his ETA for having power back was a couple days, one of his windows had blown in and he had pushed his table up against the window frame to try and hold back some of the wind, his car was totaled and he had lost a tree and gained three new trees on his property. I checked the nearest metars and they read gusting 67, gusting 68, sensor data not available, sensor data not available

It was pretty surreal how long it took before I realized how horrific that storm was

The suddenness, seemingly faster than a typical summer storm, of a derecho hitting seems like it makes them especially prone to surprise people; just from nothing to insanity in a moment.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There’s been a few instances of people surviving tornados by hiding inside of a walk in cooler, like direct hit kinda stuff. My admittedly limited experience with walk ins inside restaurants makes then look pretty tough, but It wouldn’t surprise me if more modern walk ins were nothing but foam and positive thoughts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MRC48B posted:

This is osha. Did they really make the walk-in cooler their shelter area.

Most walk-ins are styrofoam walls lined with tinfoil, filled with heavily overloaded shelving that can easily tip over. :negative:

The local Schnuck's has the beer cooler as the tornado shelter. It's smack in the middle of the building.

There was a tornado that tore through a ton across the river from me, like ten miles away, killing a few people. I spent that time playing video games and barely noticing the sirens.

I'm glad that my smart phone gives me an alert these days.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GregariousTerribleEthiopianwolf-mobile.mp4

coke
Jul 12, 2009
If only they lowered the road by or raised the runway by a feet or two.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's one head done in like a mashed potato

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

`Nemesis posted:

There’s been a few instances of people surviving tornados by hiding inside of a walk in cooler, like direct hit kinda stuff. My admittedly limited experience with walk ins inside restaurants makes then look pretty tough, but It wouldn’t surprise me if more modern walk ins were nothing but foam and positive thoughts.
In the bad Joplin MO tornado, the one that shifted the hospital from it's foundation, there was a group of people that sheltered in a conveience store walk in beer cooler. They survived but had some cuts and bruises because the tornado still ripped holes in the roof and wall.

Here's a long form article about it.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a32967/joplin-tornado-stories-1011/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Walk-in freezers are a great place to be in a weather event and a terrible place to be in a fire

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet_chicken_processing_plant_fire

When you're being weighed against triangle shirtwaist and texas city in the 1990s it... ain't great.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 12, 2020