Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mozi posted:

i happen to be somewhat familiar with online schooling and i can guarantee that if teachers can't prepare ahead of time and the idea is that they can just flip a switch and have all the students just be online suddenly then the school administrators are in pure denial. it takes a lot of work ahead of time (both learning the tools and preparing the curriculum) to just have a somewhat acceptable experience. you just can't have everybody plan to come in physically and just say later 'whoops you're all online now starting next week'. well you can i suppose but it's not going to be a pleasant experience for anybody

This will be then used as an attempt to justify a "see, online classes don't work, we NEED them in the school!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
*DocEvil stands behind Smash Mouth on stage, texting*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Seems like New Zealand will wait it out and then become a globe-spanning empire. I for one, welcome our kiwi overlords. :nz:

Ireland here may see some survivors too.
Looking forward to populating the UK a la 28 weeks later soon.
Until some of us meet some feral Gammon coughing still, then we get machined gunned down.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Honestly if you asked me to guess what music acts would be playing at a biker rally I wouldn't have put Smash Mouth at the top of that list

Great White was busy

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Most of the real acts (Willie Nelson was supposed to play, for example) cancelled like responsible people for the rally this year.

Also all those estimates of 200-250k bikers are shaping up to be real low, traffic from last year's rally (with 495k estimated attending) is only down 3.8%

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/s...=home-top-story

I drove through Deadwood this morning and saw two bikini bike washes, it's business as usual here with the bikers not giving a poo poo:

https://www.bhpioneer.com/covid-19/...0081f6b268.html

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Despair posted:

Most of the real acts (Willie Nelson was supposed to play, for example) cancelled like responsible people for the rally this year.

Also all those estimates of 200-250k bikers are shaping up to be real low, traffic from last year's rally (with 495k estimated attending) is only down 3.8%

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/s...=home-top-story

I drove through Deadwood this morning and saw two bikini bike washes, it's business as usual here with the bikers not giving a poo poo:

https://www.bhpioneer.com/covid-19/...0081f6b268.html
So, about half a million people coming from all over to congregate, and then returning home, probably with some stops along the way. :tif:

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Drowning Pool are also playing it.

Thousands of overweight biker boomers moshing to 'Bodies', unaware of the irony of the situation.

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Riotgrrill posted:

Drowning Pool are also playing it.

Thousands of overweight biker boomers moshing to 'Bodies', unaware of the irony of the situation.

As if these guys would be able to mosh without getting into a fight over who bumped who and how 'dare you disrespect me'.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Zugzwang posted:

lol
People just plain shed virus for a long time, though after a certain point it'll be all dead virus. Even the mild cases in this study are dropping 10k copies/mL plus a month after symptom onset, which is comically easy to detect with RT-PCR:

I don't understand this because I didn't study any of this stuff. I'm curious, not trying to 'trap' you or anything. I realise I had to write this before asking my questions: Are you saying that the CDC's recommendations are not conservative enough, or are you saying that shedding virus is not the same as, I don't know, being infectuous?

is RT-PCR what is done with the sample from a swab test or is it some other thing?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Manager Hoyden posted:

Honestly if you asked me to guess what music acts would be playing at a biker rally I wouldn't have put Smash Mouth at the top of that list

look up who headlined they Harley Davidson 100th anniversary party, hahaha

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

redreader posted:

I don't understand this because I didn't study any of this stuff. I'm curious, not trying to 'trap' you or anything. I realise I had to write this before asking my questions: Are you saying that the CDC's recommendations are not conservative enough, or are you saying that shedding virus is not the same as, I don't know, being infectuous?

is RT-PCR what is done with the sample from a swab test or is it some other thing?
Shedding virus != being infectious. A number of studies have found that after enough time, people are just shedding dead virus. This means that you can detect the RNA genome of the virus (which can remain intact even if the virus itself isn't active anymore), but if you try to culture the virus, nothing grows. The virus can be inactivated through a lot of mechanisms, like loving up its lipid coating with soap/alcohol (which is why washing your hand works) or destroying its surface proteins through heat or the like.

RT-PCR is generally what's being done from swab tests. RT-PCR basically means you make a DNA copy of the RNA (that's RT, or reverse transcription) and then exponentially copy the DNA (PCR, the polymerase chain reaction) until it's easily detectable.

Other types of tests are out there now too, notably antigen tests. These detect proteins on the virus instead of the genome and can also be used to detect someone who's currently shedding virus. They are generally less sensitive than RT-PCR, but are also easier to implement and more mobile, which is turning out to probably be more important in all of this because you can test people more often.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

just had three giant dudes follow me to my car trying to start a fight and shouting homophobic slurs because I had the audacity to tell one of them that masks were required in store

gg America no res

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

food court bailiff posted:

just had three giant dudes follow me to my car trying to start a fight and shouting homophobic slurs because I had the audacity to tell one of them that masks were required in store

gg America no res

It’s apparently a felony now to do this poo poo.

Not that rules matter here anymore.

naem
May 29, 2011

discretion is the better part of valor just physically avoid the morons until this is all over

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

naem posted:

discretion is the better part of valor just physically avoid the morons until this is all over

My gf is not afraid to throw shade at people for mask poo poo, I told her as good as it feels people have gotten loving shot over this poo poo so just do your best to avoid them.

naem
May 29, 2011

explosivo posted:

My gf is not afraid to throw shade at people for mask poo poo, I told her as good as it feels people have gotten loving shot over this poo poo so just do your best to avoid them.

I’ve cleverly planned for this by not having a gf due to my terrible personality

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

explosivo posted:

pre-emptively mace their gaping maws, that'll show em

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Fun and totally not terrifying to live through the collapse of the USA,

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Unless you have a good mask and a face shield on don't engage with these morons. You are likely to get it from them when they get in you face and froth into a rage over the audacity of having to wear a loving mask! These people are beyond saving at this point, they have had 5 months to learn and they just don't care at all, sad!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yep, more the fool me. learned my lesson and frankly I hope they all die horribly on a ventilator sooner than later.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Derpies posted:

Born of terrible white people, died from terrible white people

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Derpies posted:

Grondoth posted:

lotta talk about divesting from whiteness in 2020, I didn't expect whiteness to jump the gun by preemptively killing us all

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm fortunate to live in a place where indoor no-mask chuds are almost unheard of, but I do have to diligently avoid people with the valve masks. I figure as long as they aren't actively coughing/sneezing the risk is probably low. But I could be wrong :buddy:

zgrowler2 posted:

lotta talk about divesting from whiteness in 2020, I didn't expect whiteness to jump the gun by preemptively killing us all
"If I can't have you, nobody can!" - dumb white people re: :911:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

I do have to diligently avoid people with the valve masks. I figure as long as they aren't actively coughing/sneezing the risk is probably low. But I could be wrong :buddy:
valves are still better than no mask and comparable to cloth masks from what i can tell because they direct the outflow of the air downwards, and heavier particles expelled tend to bump into the valve first and stick there because valves require air to take a 90° turn compared to the outflow from your mouth and heavier particles can't turn the corner quite as easily

that said, taping something over it or wrapping something around it shouldn't be that hard

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

But hey, good news, our government is preparing to consider the possibility of inspecting reintroducing recommendations to think about masks and travel.

THL really needs to throw out all the side-hussle businessmen and political nominations from its "panel of experts". They are actively making things worse with their non-decisions and maybe-recommendations trying to cater to both the private medicare businesses and people's safety.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 11, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Imagine being a country where the virus is taken seriously when it gets out of control.

e: drat, look at that, the cop even gives his legal name and town on camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svogj_qPL_I

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 11, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

boar guy posted:

i was thinking more like the 'stiff upper lip. keep calm and carry on' thing the brits did during the blitz

stoically weeping a single tear before getting back to it type of stuff

Looting and even robbing the dead were common in the Blitz, as was rampant black-marketeering. Also HERO OF THE NATION Winston Churchill only visited a bombed-out East End of London once before beating a hasty retreat in the face of a hostile crowd asking why the government hadn't built any shelters, weren't helping relocate people whose houses had been destroyed, and how he stayed so fat while everyone else was on the rations.

Also for all those who like to say it's "the wrong time" for protest - dockers, miners, munition factory workers, agricultural workers and even firemen all went on strike or took other kinds of industrial action at various times through the Blitz.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Imagine being a country where the virus is taken seriously when it gets out of control.

As it seems it only guarantees that the sitting cabinet takes a victory lap, starts arguing on what major reform will be driven in to capitalize on the popular support, and completely mess up the response and/or prevention of the second wave.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

4 new cases with no known travel links in Auckland, New Zealand. Prior to this it was thought contained at the border with any overseas arrivals going into managed isolation for 2 weeks. This is our first community transmission in a couple of months I think? Now Auckland is going back into a level 3 lockdown (stay home if possible, long-distance travel prohibited, venues closed, gatherings limited to 10 people for weddings and funerals only) until at least Friday while the rest of the country is going to level 2 (bars etc can stay open but have to use social distancing and single-server table service, gatherings limited to 100, venues and events have to register everyone entering).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/russia-registers-1st-coronavirus-vaccine-in-the-world/1938105

This is ... quite insane.

Current testing regimes are already 5x faster than normal.

This is russia just testing a vaccine using the public.

quote:

Russia registers 1st coronavirus vaccine in the world

The first coronavirus vaccine in the world has been registered in Russia, the country’s President Vladimir Putin announced on Tuesday.

The vaccine, developed by the Gamaleya National Research Center, has an official registration with the Russian Health Ministry, Putin told a meeting with members of the government in Moscow.

Putin added that the vaccine trials yielded positive results, with all volunteers having built up immunity to the coronavirus.

The vaccine is based on adenovirus and contains dead COVID-19 particles which cannot multiply and are therefore safe, said Alexander Gintzburg, head of the center.

However, it can provoke an immune response such as high temperature to the introduction of foreign substances, he added.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Just checking in to see what is going on in the White House:

"If I didn't close up our country one and a half to two million people already dead. We've called it right. Now we don't have to close it. We understand the disease. Nobody understood it because nobody has ever seen anything like this. The closest thing is in 1917, they say right? The great pandemic and it certainly was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people. Probably ended the second World War. All the soldiers were sick. That was a terrible situation and this is highly contagious. This one is highly highly contagious."

Poor Hitler, brought down by a simple flu.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1292872318562205699

Here is how I see that going:

quote:

"Twenty score and thirty years ago some real patriots brought forth near the site of Trump Tower, a new country, conceived in brilliance and good thinking, and dedicated to the idea that this nation is the greatest and making good trade deals and buying Greenland.

Now we are engaged in a war with the Kung Flu sent by China, testing whether this beautiful country and its beautiful flag, and its great President which many people lie about, can keep the violent Antifa from taking over. We are met on a great battle-field of another war fought by a President who almost did as much for Black people as me, Frederick Douglas, who I expect we will hear great things about going forward. We have come to a portion of that field to desecrate (misread teleprompter) it, as it is a beautiful resting place for those many great people who here gave their lives on many sides, on many sides, that true Americans can vote for their favorite President except by mail because that causes fraud. That is why crooked Hillary likes mail-in ballots. A hotel would look very nice here so people can stay in it and see this ground. We have people looking into that.

But, in a bigly sense, we can not desecrate -- we can not villify -- we can not defecate on -- this ground. The brave men, those still alive who were there, some of whom are probably here today like many great patriots, and those who died here when Pancho Villa was finally routed by our missiles and my generals, are great Americans who would have voted for me and are tired of the swamp. If they had built the wall the Mexicans never would have gotten this far I can tell you and they did not send their best. The poncho guy would have paid for the wall too. The Democrats will make fun of this speech, continue to say bad things about me, they will lie about what I said here. It is for us the true Americans, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here like supporting cutting taxes, building a big beautiful wall, and fixing lots of judges. We must be loyal to the great task remaining before us -- that from these dead people - though I prefer war heroes that didn't die so they could vote for me - we take increased devotion to making America great -- that we here decide to bring down and punish ObamaGate and Hillary's emails -- that this nation, under the Chosen One, shall have a new and better Supreme Court -- and that government of a very stable genius, by the best people, for the preservation of the Dow, shall not be voted out by Sleepy Joe Biden.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV. Still doing well on that test that most people would fail."

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Some guy injected me with Spunknik V and I grew an extra cock, I have stonk antibody's though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last time I got paid, I decided to buy a new mask because I wanted something more stylish than what I have. I searched for the most popular men’s mask and wound up on gaiter listings, and got one that looked cool.

Now I’m hearing that gaiters are worse than useless. :negative: I just want something that will fit my big fuckin’ head

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
And we've got community transmission in New Zealand again. Hello lockdown my old friend.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I honestly.thought better of Smash Mouth :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Looting and even robbing the dead were common in the Blitz, as was rampant black-marketeering. Also HERO OF THE NATION Winston Churchill only visited a bombed-out East End of London once before beating a hasty retreat in the face of a hostile crowd asking why the government hadn't built any shelters, weren't helping relocate people whose houses had been destroyed, and how he stayed so fat while everyone else was on the rations.

Also for all those who like to say it's "the wrong time" for protest - dockers, miners, munition factory workers, agricultural workers and even firemen all went on strike or took other kinds of industrial action at various times through the Blitz.

if you think about it striking during the blitz is the perfect time to strike. what are they going to do, bring soldiers off the front line for strike breaking? bring in scabs? (sorry all the men are drafted!). nope, they need that ammo, so they will give the striking ammo factory workers whatever the hell they want

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/russia-registers-1st-coronavirus-vaccine-in-the-world/1938105

This is ... quite insane.

Current testing regimes are already 5x faster than normal.

This is russia just testing a vaccine using the public.

totalitarian regimes that can force the population to take a dodgy vaccine will be at an advantage. maybe 1% of the population will die, but the rest of the economy can open while the western world continues to disintegrate

Beachcomber posted:

should renamed themselves to Smash Lung

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

but.... why?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Grondoth posted:

The actual white genocide

Hey now, you're infected
Get your cough on, go play
Hey now, you're a cough star
Get the vent on, get tranq'ed
And all that splatters is COV
Only Maskless fools take the gold

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Mozi posted:

i happen to be somewhat familiar with online schooling and i can guarantee that if teachers can't prepare ahead of time and the idea is that they can just flip a switch and have all the students just be online suddenly then the school administrators are in pure denial. it takes a lot of work ahead of time (both learning the tools and preparing the curriculum) to just have a somewhat acceptable experience. you just can't have everybody plan to come in physically and just say later 'whoops you're all online now starting next week'. well you can i suppose but it's not going to be a pleasant experience for anybody

Well, that's what we did in Italy as the alternative was a 10% death rate before the push for anticoagulants treatment.