Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vichan posted:

Why did anyone think this was easier to read?

Christ almighty. This version is loving impossible to keep up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang becoming Whitmore Honeycutt and Orchard Lafayette respectively are still incredible though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
after about ten minutes of reading you start to commit the new names to memory as well

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Vichan posted:

Why did anyone think this was easier to read?
Because obvious joke?

E:
To be clear, it's a literal copy paste over the public domain Brewitt-Taylor translation from 1925.

Although at some point in the past I thought it was an actual serious effort joke since it did differ from the most commonly seen translation.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 10, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vichan posted:

Cheng Pu only being added in DW9 is such a baffling decision in and of itself. The guy was with Sun Jian since the beginning and played a part in nearly every single engagement right up until Chi Bi. Meanwhile Ding Feng gets added despite the fact that Koei doesn't give a poo poo about Three Kingdoms history after the fall of Shu.

I guess I shouldn't complain since Wu adds have generally been pretty great, same with Wei. Shu is a WAY different story though, there's plenty of interesting people that get shafted in favor of yet another Guan kid. And then there's Xu Shu...

The only 3 Kingdoms characters left I can imagine wanting are Liao Hua (apparently alive for the entire three Kingdoms era from The Yellow Turban rebellion to the Fall of Shu. I don't believe it but it's there) and Zhuge Jin (because Zhuge Dan doesn't really make sense without him). Maybe, maybe Liu Biao, Yuan Shu and He Jin (Important players for brief periods of time).

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I believe they added Yuan Shu to DW9

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sudden Javelin posted:

I believe they added Yuan Shu to DW9

He's an NPC with a unique appearance, and not playable. Just double-checked.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
He's playable, he's just DLC (alongside Hua Xiong, Xiahouji and Dong Bai).

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
The release of total war Troy made me realize again we’ll never see a real Trojan Cycle musou, so much potential wasted.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

The release of total war Troy made me realize again we’ll never see a real Trojan Cycle musou, so much potential wasted.

What would you name a Trojan musou? Illiad Odyssey works surprisingly well.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What would you name a Trojan musou? Illiad Odyssey works surprisingly well.

I hadn't thought about it, but that it's an awesome name indeed!!!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors:_Legends_of_Troy
???

I mean, I wouldn't hold that up as a good example, but...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I appreciate that Warriors Orochi 3 at least tried to sell Achilles as a Lu Bu/Tadakatsu Honda level asskicker villain.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bought DW8:XE:Mega:X last night on a bit of a drunken impulse and wow, how have I never played these before, it rules smashing hundreds of dudes through the air with a big ax.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ShootaBoy posted:

Bought DW8:XE:Mega:X last night on a bit of a drunken impulse and wow, how have I never played these before, it rules smashing hundreds of dudes through the air with a big ax.

DW8 is peak Musou, or at the very least peak DW.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I just tried Huang Gai in DW8:EL and when the weapon description said "arm blade" I didn't realize it actually meant "tiny boat"

It rules though, I love surfin all over dudes into an elbow drop and suplexing officers

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Removing all the wrestling musous is the worst thing WO4 did. Musous suck in general in that game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Magic is so much better than Musous, it's kind of sad. Also, I wonder if we'll be hearing about Samurai Warriors 5 soon-ish? 4-II was released like 5 years ago.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, hopefully soon. Tecmo Koei has been forthright and said that they're making Samurai Warriors 5 (they said this a couple years back) so it's SOMEWHERE right now.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Drakenel posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors:_Legends_of_Troy
???

I mean, I wouldn't hold that up as a good example, but...

I brought it up precisely because of that game. I was not a good look and may have soured forever the possibility of more western history/myth themed musous, except as guests in the orochi series.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I was liking Spirit of Sanada but the second half drags so badly and the wrongheaded decision to cut out Hideyori entirely just kills it the whole story.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Oh my god the X Weapon crafting grind in Orochi 4 Ultimate is maddeningly slow. I've been at it for weeks and only have 30 weapons. It's really silly how they made this a trophy but didn't seem to balance the time/reward ratio even a little bit. But I've Platinumed all of the other games, so I can't let this one slide.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, hopefully soon. Tecmo Koei has been forthright and said that they're making Samurai Warriors 5 (they said this a couple years back) so it's SOMEWHERE right now.

I loved the first two Samurai Warriors games but hated everything that came after that aside from Spirit of Sanada and even that one I didn't like that much. (3 is the only one I've never played so I can't comment on that one)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
samurai warriors hasn't been good since 1, where the branching paths were abundant, obtuse, and often happened as early as chapter 2. only the "best"/"true" endings had fmvs, but EVERY ending had an in-engine epilogue cutscene. how great is that god drat!

samurai warriors 2 with its secret "sixth stage" gaiden endings that barely acknowledge that they happened with a single spoken line at the end of the stage was lazy as poo poo by comparison.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah as someone whose initial Warriors experience was with SW4 and the Zelda/FE spin-off I'm loving DW8:EL's cool alternative objectives and the hypothetical routes they unlock. I understand that not everything lends itself to that sort of thing like RoTK does (especially the licensed spin-offs, which plot-wise are basically smashing together action figures) but it would be nice if they at least tried.

I feel like DW9's open world thing could lend itself to this in a way, like forcing the player to choose between different events/battles and unlocking further ones based on what they pick, but that would require a lot more structure than what DW9 actually provided (or so I hear)

*edit* I just realized RoTK could also be Return of the King and now I want a LoTR Musou, give Omega Force the license WB you cowards

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 18, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
My issue with DW9 is that combat doesn't feel like it flows well for me. It feels more like an MMO in having to cycle special moves to attack (significant) enemeies, whereas in WO4 and almost every DW game I could easily flow between combos and things.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, Imma post this in both the Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors thread to hit both sides of the Crossover.

Fire Emblem Warriors. I adore the Dynasty Warriors series, I love the Fire Emblem series. However, I am *not* a huge fan of Fire Emblem: Fates. Considering roughly *half* the cast of FEW is Fates characters, do you guys think would it still be worth it for me?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can only say that I really enjoyed FEW, and it was literally my first experience with the cast of Fates.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, Imma post this in both the Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors thread to hit both sides of the Crossover.

Fire Emblem Warriors. I adore the Dynasty Warriors series, I love the Fire Emblem series. However, I am *not* a huge fan of Fire Emblem: Fates. Considering roughly *half* the cast of FEW is Fates characters, do you guys think would it still be worth it for me?

Main issue is that characters are literally clones of each other move-set wise, yet you still have to individually grind/level them.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah as someone whose initial Warriors experience was with SW4 and the Zelda/FE spin-off I'm loving DW8:EL's cool alternative objectives and the hypothetical routes they unlock. I understand that not everything lends itself to that sort of thing like RoTK does (especially the licensed spin-offs, which plot-wise are basically smashing together action figures) but it would be nice if they at least tried.

This is why DW8CE is probably my all-time number one Musou to date. Being able to subvert the catastrophic turning-point routs like Chi Bi or Fan Castle by deviating from the story in earlier chapters is absolutely my jam.

A playable Jin scenario also feels like a solid cap to the story, even if it's more "stopping in-fighting and mopping up remnants" than a true final boss scenario like Wu Zhang Plains.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The White Dragon posted:

samurai warriors hasn't been good since 1, where the branching paths were abundant, obtuse, and often happened as early as chapter 2. only the "best"/"true" endings had fmvs, but EVERY ending had an in-engine epilogue cutscene. how great is that god drat!

Has any Warriors game brought back SW1's training school for created characters? Having an actual influence on your character's stats beyond weapon choice, the events like Magoichi rewarding you with a gun that actually changed your ranged attack, and the different clans sending you invites and quests. I can not wish for more of that hard enough.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

There's something fun and comforting about FE:W on the 3DS (Don't have a switch or anything ._.). It had its issues but it was so good to just flip on and murder with. And it was also my first big exposure to characters, cause I've never played a FE game (seriously).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It is still one of Tecmo Koei's greatest crimes that they have never brought back SW3 Empires' Castle Town. Nobunaga's Ambition: SoI Ascension comes close with the Town system but it's not the same.

Schubalts posted:

Has any Warriors game brought back SW1's training school for created characters? Having an actual influence on your character's stats beyond weapon choice, the events like Magoichi rewarding you with a gun that actually changed your ranged attack, and the different clans sending you invites and quests. I can not wish for more of that hard enough.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 has a similar thing going on with the entire game being based around a created character. It's 3DS/Vita exclusive but check it out and look it up if you get the chance because it definitely has a different vibe from the other SWs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The only fire emblem game I've played is Three Houses, so I don't know who any of the characters in FEW are or what it is about fates you don't like that might carry over, but if you like musou games and fire emblem, I cannot imagine you will dislike Fire Emblem Warriors.

If you've played Hyrule Warriors, the character-building mechanics are more similar to that than any of the DW games I've played, but otherwise the game is exactly what you think it's going to be. The story's a bit of a mess, probably because it expects me to have some kind of pre-existing knowledge of who any of these people are (I recognize marth from smash bros, but that's it) but I didn't come in expecting to care about that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schubalts posted:

the training school was cool in concept but in practice you just do Equestrian a bunch of times because it has the best returns, and curse the random events for giving you less time to increase your stats

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 has a similar thing going on with the entire game being based around a created character. It's 3DS/Vita exclusive but check it out and look it up if you get the chance because it definitely has a different vibe from the other SWs.

I don't have a hard-on for Create-A-Warrior like some folks do but I'm a sucker for portable -Warriors games (even though I'm not going anywhere right now :shrug:). That said, as much as I love Samurai Warriors conceptually, I sort of fell wandered away from doing much in Samurai Warriors 4-2.

I'm tempted to buy Chronicles 3, as I primarily use the 3DS as a distraction on the toilet, and as a sleep aid. Story and CAW aside, how is the gameplay or the growth? Does it do anything notably different than the SW4 games? Or should I just expect a port?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BlazetheInferno posted:

I never played a Fire Emblem game prior to the Warriors one, and it is currently my favorite Musou from a gameplay stance. Also, yes, there are clone characters, but aside from Pegasus Knights, everyone is actually fairly fun to play as, and even the PKs aren't *that* bad.

You'll have a good time, especially once you get Lyndis.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If FEW had made the twin blond characters able to change class, and given promoted characters a second weapon type (just clone a similar character) it would be my favorite. The fact that they have the DLC characters, some of whom get movesets not available in the base game, show up in the plot soured it a ton for me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Morter posted:

I don't have a hard-on for Create-A-Warrior like some folks do but I'm a sucker for portable -Warriors games (even though I'm not going anywhere right now :shrug:). That said, as much as I love Samurai Warriors conceptually, I sort of fell wandered away from doing much in Samurai Warriors 4-2.

I'm tempted to buy Chronicles 3, as I primarily use the 3DS as a distraction on the toilet, and as a sleep aid. Story and CAW aside, how is the gameplay or the growth? Does it do anything notably different than the SW4 games? Or should I just expect a port?

It's sort of a weird beast. It's based on 4 in that the gameplay is taken from it, but it leans heavily into the idea of having a CAW present throughout the entire story of the Warring States and there's a lot of different missions and What If timelines you can wander down which typically require you to get enough bond with the officers involved in those What Ifs. The big gimmick for the gameplay is that they have real-time character switching and commanding, so you can tap a portrait and instantly warp to that character and do stuff as them, or direct people to certain places or to fight other officers. If you're not huge into the idea of making your own guy and doing the whole bond building, gear enhancing, skill unlocking deal then it might not be for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I mean, i played plenty of the first chronicle game, and I didn't hate it. I guess I'm just wondering if the growth of the characters/arsenal is different enough from 4 to be worth buying? I'm reading poo poo about the castle and blacksmith and stuff. That sounds neat, but how does it play out, to you?