Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I keep hemming and hawing about UnderMine tbh; the early game feels like such a freakin slog even with upgrades. Possibly I was breaking into Summoning Stone 1 too early; the run I got that on was pretty broken

Did they change anything for 1.0 that'd put any value on starting a new file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat Post Void is very very cool for $2. There's something about a build engine (with vertical aim via mouse) game that rewards headshots that feels so good. Really hope this game blows up!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

Synthetik's data files aren't (completely) obfusticated, you can use google and a text editor to skip the grind if you really want to.

Got a quick pointer? Because opening them in notepad++ is compiled code

Also isn't it server side? Or is that just for the arena module?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

HiroProtagonist posted:

Got a quick pointer? Because opening them in notepad++ is compiled code

Also isn't it server side? Or is that just for the arena module?

AppData\Local\Synthetik\Save.sav

ctrl+f 'subclass' to find the stuff you want to mess with for each class

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I have a sudden, intense, but inexplicable urge to get back into WASTED.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Really dumb question out of nowhere. I'm looking for this old, old (early 00's maybe) automatic RPG roguelike. It's close to an idle game, but before idle games were really a thing. Maybe it was released during the Cookie Clicker craze.

It's a game for windows, it almost looks like it was created in MS Paint, the graphics are really lovely. The game play was buying weapons that were usually silly (I think the top tier weapon was a nuke), then you'd hit 'go' and your little dude would move around the map and fight everything and you'd either win (and move on) or lose and start over. Whenever you bought anything in the store the sound effects were silly as well, a man's voice would say things like (bing, whoa, ping) etc. All of the sound effects, I think, were just this person's voice.

Is this ringing any bells for anyone? I've tried googling everything I can think of and have not found any results.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It doesn’t sound like Progress Quest but maybe try googling “games like progress quest” and see if that helps.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ToxicFrog posted:

I have a sudden, intense, but inexplicable urge to get back into WASTED.

As somebody who has dabbled in a lot of FPS Roguelites, I’ve tried to get into WASTED multiple times but I end up bouncing off of it after a few hours each time. It seems like something that would be right up my alley, so I don’t know why it’s never grabbed me.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

AppData\Local\Synthetik\Save.sav

ctrl+f 'subclass' to find the stuff you want to mess with for each class

nice, thanks

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Won a handful of loops in Undermine now and the lack of variety is starting to really show. Every run feels the same mostly and there isn't much of a challenge. Othermine is hard because you can just get like no attack upgrades but that just means its a slog, not really difficult.

I think it was a major mistake to make relic unlocks something you have to buy with the meta currency to be added to the pool. Potions and familiars I'm fine with but Thorium is such a limited resource and the prices are kinda high that I barely unlock any of them which means my item pool remains stagnant, which means runs are even more samey than they would be normally.

I also think there just isnt enough funny combos with relics. And you should be able to have multiple bomb relics, having to choose is lame!

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 10, 2020

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Snooze Cruise posted:

for the fraiser roguelike i think the casts should be different classes, so during character creation you choose either fraiser, niles, roz, and you eventually unlock bulldog, daphne (focus on pys attacks of course) and martin (who uses eddie as a support)

Really late and not exactly a roguelike, but someone actually made a Fraiser pnp rpg: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/86g86m/i_made_a_tabletop_rpg_of_frasier_called_boss/ . He also added an expansion that added bulldog!

Also count me in with the folks who just recently started into Dungeonmans despite having it forever. Been having a pretty good time, but some of the mechanics are a bit obfuscated imo and cost me a couple characters. A couple questions:

What counts as post-game? I've been doing a few of the 4 and 5 star maps, is that what's meant? Where do you find the final boss? And are there any other secret/hidden things to find? Is there a forum/guide/wiki/something that would have all of this?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

MussoliniB posted:

Really dumb question out of nowhere. I'm looking for this old, old (early 00's maybe) automatic RPG roguelike. It's close to an idle game, but before idle games were really a thing. Maybe it was released during the Cookie Clicker craze.

It's a game for windows, it almost looks like it was created in MS Paint, the graphics are really lovely. The game play was buying weapons that were usually silly (I think the top tier weapon was a nuke), then you'd hit 'go' and your little dude would move around the map and fight everything and you'd either win (and move on) or lose and start over. Whenever you bought anything in the store the sound effects were silly as well, a man's voice would say things like (bing, whoa, ping) etc. All of the sound effects, I think, were just this person's voice.

Is this ringing any bells for anyone? I've tried googling everything I can think of and have not found any results.

You aren't crazy. Was it the Automatic Adventurer?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I finished Void Bastards on Hard, and thought it was pretty brutal...

Then that achievement popped up and I realized I'd picked the super hard difficulty :cripes:

That uh... that explains a few things about the balance.

Anyway, that was a very polished, tightly designed game that I thought was just ok, but I'm not sure how much the screwy difficulty is tainting my view of the game :v:

Didn't dig the theming at all, which is a bit of a minus, loved the art style.

Definitely recommend playing on Hard or Normal if you try it, don't pick rear end in a top hat difficulty.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

Also count me in with the folks who just recently started into Dungeonmans despite having it forever. Been having a pretty good time, but some of the mechanics are a bit obfuscated imo and cost me a couple characters. A couple questions:

What counts as post-game? I've been doing a few of the 4 and 5 star maps, is that what's meant? Where do you find the final boss? And are there any other secret/hidden things to find? Is there a forum/guide/wiki/something that would have all of this?

Adventure maps scale arbitrarily high, but they start out at the same level as normal-game dungeons. So if you keep doing them eventually you'll be in the postgame. I would guess that the final dungeon is around level 18ish?

The final boss is in a dungeon in the bottom-right corner of the world map. You can't access that dungeon until you do the Mountain Fortress dungeon in the middle of the map.

So far as I know, there's no useful wiki for the game. There are some other secrets though. Most notably, how you actually use those starshards. I can give more details if you like, but it wasn't clear if you were saying "tell me the secrets" or "tell me if there are secrets".

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

MussoliniB posted:

Was this NPC Quest? I don't remember the sound effects or the nuke, but the broad strokes "gameplay" sounds the same.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/RiskofRain/status/1293199546126938115

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Adventure maps scale arbitrarily high, but they start out at the same level as normal-game dungeons. So if you keep doing them eventually you'll be in the postgame. I would guess that the final dungeon is around level 18ish?

The final boss is in a dungeon in the bottom-right corner of the world map. You can't access that dungeon until you do the Mountain Fortress dungeon in the middle of the map.

So far as I know, there's no useful wiki for the game. There are some other secrets though. Most notably, how you actually use those starshards. I can give more details if you like, but it wasn't clear if you were saying "tell me the secrets" or "tell me if there are secrets".

I'm in the "tell me secrets" camp. I've found the altar and started making some gear cosmic, but not sure if there's anything else for shards. Also is the final dungeon the Dread Spire? I've got it marked as clear, but don't remember any particular boss in there.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 11, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

I'm in the "tell me secrets" camp. I've found the altar and started making some gear cosmic, but not sure if there's anything else for shards.

Nope, starshards are for cosmicing gear. There is one secret I know of regarding them: the "legendary blade" that the message log hints at when you cosmic something is Yesterday's Knife. And don't worry if you aren't a one-handed weapons character; you can turn it into a two-hander, polearm, bow, or staff when you cosmic it.

There's a semi-secret postgame dungeon, but you get the key to start the unlock process when you beat the final boss. It's not particularly obscure, so I'll just let you discover that one on your own.

There's a secret infinite dungeon that you can access randomly by sleeping at the inn. But it's not as fleshed-out as adventure maps so I'd say just do this once to experience it for a bit, and then leave.

There's a Halloween event that you can trigger at any time if you buy the relevant book from the Doomsayer. Or just wait for Halloween to roll around in the real world.

Also, not really a secret so much as an exploit: if you fight a champion lich, they can drain 5 points of stremf from you, which you can only get back by defeating them. Turns out the way this is coded is "the lich drains stremf from whoever they're aggro'd on right now, and then whoever kills them gets the stremf." So, summon a buddy, let them get drained, then hey, free 5 points of stremf when you win. Particularly nice for graveyard maps, since their bit of special loot is a super-enchant scroll that drains your stremf when used.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Won a handful of loops in Undermine now and the lack of variety is starting to really show. Every run feels the same mostly and there isn't much of a challenge. Othermine is hard because you can just get like no attack upgrades but that just means its a slog, not really difficult.

I think it was a major mistake to make relic unlocks something you have to buy with the meta currency to be added to the pool. Potions and familiars I'm fine with but Thorium is such a limited resource and the prices are kinda high that I barely unlock any of them which means my item pool remains stagnant, which means runs are even more samey than they would be normally.
I think this is right on the money. The game would immediately get much better if it went the Isaac route with unlocks - multiple characters and challenges, each playing slightly differently, with item unlocks attached to each one. Or even just if it went the Slay the Spire route and made each increased difficulty level feel like a genuine, obvious difference. As it stands, I’ve beaten the game three times now, summoning stones 0-2 all felt pretty much the same, and my item pool is still small enough that a lot of items turned up in more than one of those three runs. They made it harder for themselves by giving you so many items over the course of a run, as well - if they’d gone with rarer but more impactful relics then there would have been much less overlap and runs would feel more distinct.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nope, starshards are for cosmicing gear. There is one secret I know of regarding them: the "legendary blade" that the message log hints at when you cosmic something is Yesterday's Knife. And don't worry if you aren't a one-handed weapons character; you can turn it into a two-hander, polearm, bow, or staff when you cosmic it.

There's a semi-secret postgame dungeon, but you get the key to start the unlock process when you beat the final boss. It's not particularly obscure, so I'll just let you discover that one on your own.

There's a secret infinite dungeon that you can access randomly by sleeping at the inn. But it's not as fleshed-out as adventure maps so I'd say just do this once to experience it for a bit, and then leave.

There's a Halloween event that you can trigger at any time if you buy the relevant book from the Doomsayer. Or just wait for Halloween to roll around in the real world.

Also, not really a secret so much as an exploit: if you fight a champion lich, they can drain 5 points of stremf from you, which you can only get back by defeating them. Turns out the way this is coded is "the lich drains stremf from whoever they're aggro'd on right now, and then whoever kills them gets the stremf." So, summon a buddy, let them get drained, then hey, free 5 points of stremf when you win. Particularly nice for graveyard maps, since their bit of special loot is a super-enchant scroll that drains your stremf when used.

Thanks for all this! And just in case my edit was too late, I cleared the Dread Spiral, is that where the final boss is? I don't seem to recall any particular boss fight in there, just went to like 4 different chambers with enemies.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

alansmithee posted:

Thanks for all this! And just in case my edit was too late, I cleared the Dread Spiral, is that where the final boss is? I don't seem to recall any particular boss fight in there, just went to like 4 different chambers with enemies.

After you beat those 4 bosses in the 4 sub-dungeons in the Dread Spire, a portal to a fifth sub-dungeon opens up (I just beat Dungeonmans for the first time this week and it was near the top of the Cathedral area, but YMMV). The final boss is at the bottom of that one.

I didn't see anything that hinted at a secret dungeon in its drops (that said its drops literally covered the entire floor of the arena so it might have gotten lost in the shuffle?) so if TMA doesn't mind I'd love a more specific hint?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 11, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is a big one, holy moly

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

I didn't see anything that hinted at a secret dungeon in its drops (that said its drops literally covered the entire floor of the arena so it might have gotten lost in the shuffle?) so if TMA doesn't mind I'd love a more specific hint?

Sure. You should have gotten a set of Scrobold gear added directly to your inventory when the boss died. Not dropped on the floor, just tossed straight from his exploding corpse to your character. Wear it all and go to the Convenient Scrobold Warren.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How is ROR2? I played a few runs of the first one until I cleared the game once and never saw the appeal. I'm not sure what I didn't like about it, probably the timer and how it seemed to turn enemies into bullet sponges.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think it was really designed for multiplayer. I returned it pretty quickly.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I only played single player ROR1 and didn't enjoy it much, even after cheating to unlock everything. I didn't think multiplayer would change much in my eyes. ROR2 looks like a blast however, but my CPU can't run it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think its pretty sick either single or multiplayer. The timer is still a core mechanic though if that's a big turn off for you but one thing I really liked about it compared to RoR1 is that enemies generally feel less bulletspongey which was definitely a problem in the first game imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

risk of rain 2 doesn't have the issue 1 did where if you play as a melee character then you have to eternally jumpattack or else you'll get immediately deleted by a clump of enemies since it was on a 2d plane. that alone is such a nice change.

but even beyond that it's just a superb game in general and if you're not a fan of timers then you're not going to enjoy it, because it's a core aspect of the loop.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
In Steam today there is a Awesome Traditional Roguelikes bundle

For $32

You get:

quote:

Caves of Qud

Caves of Qud is a science fantasy roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants. Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through layers of thousand-year-old civilizations.

Dungeonmans

Crush monsters and get loots in the classic turn-based style of deep dungeons and high adventure! Serious gameplay surrounded by a light-hearted atmosphere, designed to evoke the feel of history's great RPGs and dice-slinging adventures around the tabletop.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit

A deadly plague ravages your world. Your last hope: a legendary alien facility dug deep into the Feldspar Mountains...a massive Pit, built by the ancient Suul'ka.If 'The Pit' really exists, there might be something left. Something that will give your doctors a fighting chance at the cure.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Tales of Maj’Eyal is a roguelike RPG, featuring tactical turn-based combat and advanced character building. Play as one of many unique races and classes in the lore-filled world of Eyal, exploring random dungeons, facing challenging battles, and developing characters with your own tailored mix of abilities and powers.

UnReal World

The cult classic open-ended wilderness survival roguelike RPG taking place in the ancient North. Throughout the years, UnReal World has been praised for its incredible depth, realism, atmosphere and immersion. Lose yourself in the most intricate, detailed and enchanting iron-age game world.

Two of these (Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans) are goon made. I don't seem to have a Steam link so search for the bundle on your Steam front page in the Special Offers section. This is an incredible deal.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 11, 2020

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
:siren: Dungeonmans five bucks today, and The Traditional Roguelikes Bundle is live! https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15790/The_Traditional_Roguelikes_Bundle/

Caves of Qud, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Sword of the Stars: The Pit, and UnReal World are all part of a bundle now, if you own one you get a discount on the rest. And we're also in a Daily Deal today so there's mad discounts everywhere. Tell yo friends haha wait you don't have any.

e;fb

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

In Steam today there is a Awesome Traditional Roguelikes bundle

For $17.98

edit: oh silly me. Well, for me the price is notably higher. :/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 11, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15790/The_Traditional_Roguelikes_Bundle/

Note that its actually $32, but reduced depending on which games you already own

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15790/The_Traditional_Roguelikes_Bundle/

Note that its actually $32, but reduced depending on which games you already own

Woopse! Changing immediately. Thanks for the catch.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

someone awful. posted:

Was this NPC Quest? I don't remember the sound effects or the nuke, but the broad strokes "gameplay" sounds the same.

This is it! Thank you all so much. I'm going to give the other games a try too because, why not?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is The Pit any good? I've already got the rest in the bundle.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the pit sucks

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Unreal World seems really strange for a roguelike theme. Can someone sell me on it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
unreal world is kind of funny but not that good tbh

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Unreal World is available for free too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dramicus posted:

Is The Pit any good? I've already got the rest in the bundle.

The Pit is like, 9/10ths of a good game that's completely ruined by the tedious bullshit you have to do to actually succeed.

There's item crafting, crafting is 100% required if you want to use any kind of reasonable weapon, you aren't told any of the recipes (and can either look them up or train a skill used solely for discovering recipes) and you frequently just don't get enough materials to craft anything of value.