Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

Biden is picking Kamala for VP per everyone

Cool that was worth the 3 month wait for the incredibly obvious result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Senator Lara
Senator Wiener
Senator Garcetti

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Stunt_enby posted:

yes president copmala is exactly what we need during a time where literally everyone hates the police, smooth loving move lmao
i can already picture the attack ads in my mind
Fortunately Trump's campaign can't
https://twitter.com/tcberenson/status/1293284748048183297?s=19

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Newsom is going to be a Senator so soon!

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
lol she's not gonna get attacked for being a prosecutor by the trump campaign, and it wouldn't be a particularly effective attack even if they did.

Mildly disapointed but not especially surprised, was holding out against the odds for Bass.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Cool that was worth the 3 month wait for the incredibly obvious result

Yeah he was never going to pick anybody good but I was hoping he'd at least pick somebody funny. VP Hilldawg outta left field or something. This poo poo is just boring and terrible.

Also if Joe wins I bet you anything Sam Liccardo is going to make a legit run at trying to get Kamala's spot, even if just behind closed doors. He's very clearly self-conscious about how unknown he is despite being mayor of the tenth largest city in the nation, to the point where he threw tons of public money at a PR firm to "raise his national profile" according to a CPRA request, and tried to ram through what he called a "Strong Mayor" proposal that would have extended his term and given him a ton more direct power over city affairs that he ultimately had to shitcan because of public outcry. Getting catapulted to state Senator is exactly what he needs to continue his empty suit political career.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Still Dismal posted:

lol she's not gonna get attacked for being a prosecutor by the trump campaign, and it wouldn't be a particularly effective attack even if they did.

Mildly disapointed but not especially surprised.

If that attack cones it'll be from a dark money group, Trump himself doesn't have the messaging discipline to tie that line of attack effectively. The attack will happen, though, because it'll be a good angle to try and depress turnout on the left.

Edit:

Sydin posted:

Yeah he was never going to pick anybody good but I was hoping he'd at least pick somebody funny. VP Hilldawg outta left field or something. This poo poo is just boring and terrible.

Also if Joe wins I bet you anything Sam Liccardo is going to make a legit run at trying to get Kamala's spot, even if just behind closed doors. He's very clearly self-conscious about how unknown he is despite being mayor of the tenth largest city in the nation, to the point where he threw tons of public money at a PR firm to "raise his national profile" according to a CPRA request, and tried to ram through what he called a "Strong Mayor" proposal that would have extended his term and given him a ton more direct power over city affairs that he ultimately had to shitcan because of public outcry. Getting catapulted to state Senator is exactly what he needs to continue his empty suit political career.

Does Liccardo have any connections with Newsom? Who is actually in Gavbot's inner circle and would have a head start on getting the pick? If it ends up a money thing then Steyer will snag it but I don't know who might have enough clout to just ask Newsom directly and expect serious consideration.

Assuming Newsom doesn't decide bailing on his governorship is the best course of action, anyways.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2020

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Still Dismal posted:

Mildly disapointed but not especially surprised, was holding out against the odds for Bass.

They're not going to attack her for being a prosecutor, they're going to attack her for being a hypocrite based on her record as a prosecutor in order to undercut any lip service she pays to police violence. They'll hammer on it not to motivate Republican voters, but to demoralize Democratic voters. The Trump campaign correctly sees that this is a pressure point on the left/moderate fault line in the coalition. Same reason Trump likes to talk about Bernie getting screwed in the primary.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If that attack cones it'll be from a dark money group, Trump himself doesn't have the messaging discipline to tie that line of attack effectively. The attack will happen, though, because it'll be a good angle to try and depress turnout on the left.

I mean I'm sure that people who would have voted for Biden but won't if they learn his VP was a prosecutor exist, but that's very unlikely to be a particularly large voting bloc.

Purely in election outcome terms she's very unlikely to make any significant difference, and what difference does get made will probably be from her being a minority women (possibly more turnout from both minorities and racist whites, in opposites directions obviously) rather than her prior professional background.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The attack ad they had primed and ready boils down to her being a) part of the "radical left" (:lol:) and b) a phony empty suit who'll do or say anything to further her career (accurate)

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1293285949917495300?s=21

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sydin posted:

The attack ad they had primed and ready boils down to her being a) part of the "radical left" (:lol:) and b) a phony empty suit who'll do or say anything to further her career (accurate)

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1293285949917495300?s=21

Joe biden was tricked by the person voters don’t want because shes faking being too far left but also shes too far left.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1293284496293466113

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Exactly who I come to for evenhanded political analysis of the Democratic Party, the chairman of the GOP.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Please welcome Senator Jerry Brown

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I am Senator Jerry Brown
My aura smiles and never frowns
Soon I will be president

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
No, pretty sure Liccardo is going to go for Lofgren’s seat in the house once she retires (rumor is that she’s having some health problems) - he’s termed out of his mayoral seat in 2022.

He has been building up those connections to big money - he’s got the Bloomberg thing, close ties to the big businesses, and he’s the filer on a chunk of city measure spending committees over the past few years, which allows him to take big contributions (like 50k from the police union), launder the money into consultants, and also roll the unspent dollars into future PACs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Highbrow Slick posted:

Sounds good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mitsuo posted:

No, pretty sure Liccardo is going to go for Lofgren’s seat in the house once she retires (rumor is that she’s having some health problems) - he’s termed out of his mayoral seat in 2022.

He has been building up those connections to big money - he’s got the Bloomberg thing, close ties to the big businesses, and he’s the filer on a chunk of city measure spending committees over the past few years, which allows him to take big contributions (like 50k from the police union), launder the money into consultants, and also roll the unspent dollars into future PACs.

Ugh, I could absolutely see it.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Last election season I kept getting surveys regarding my opinions on current politicians and Antonio Villaraigosa was consistently hidden in the middle as if I wouldn't notice that his team was putting feelers out there lol. Won't be suprised if he pops up again

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boredumb posted:

Won't be suprised if he pops up again
Tony V is like a bad case of herpes. We'll never be rid of him.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Glumslinger posted:

Governor gets to appoint someone to fill the rest of the term, so congrats Senator Newsom

loving lol.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Highbrow Slick posted:

Honestly, if they decide they just want someone who would just be a safe pair of hands until 2022 and would be too old to run again then, not a bad choice by that criteria.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Highbrow Slick posted:

That's a funny way to spell hell-world option Senator London Breed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Still Dismal posted:

Honestly, if they decide they just want someone who would just be a safe pair of hands until 2022 and would be too old to run again then, not a bad choice by that criteria.

Whats Barbara Boxer up to? :thunk:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Highbrow Slick posted:

Honestly he wouldn't even be that bad. That loving train would get funding.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Senator Arnold Schwarzenegger

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Leperflesh posted:

Senator Arnold Schwarzenegger

unlike most people that get old and get to be a boomer, arnold has turned to nice grand-dad

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sundae posted:

That's a funny way to spell hell-world option Senator London Breed.

Horrifying

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

The Glumslinger posted:

Governor gets to appoint someone to fill the rest of the term, so congrats Senator Newsom
:stare: Assistant: Governor Newsom, you must appoint a temporary senator for the rest of Senator Harris's term.
:awesomelon: Gavbot: I see.
Gavbot algorithm multi-threading engaged.
:awesomelon: :awesomelon: Gavbot: It is done. You may address us as Governor-Senator Newsom.
:stonk: Assistant: ... Of course, Governor-Senator Newsom. May your reign be long.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My wife is a teacher and in one of her online classes a parent showed up in vidchat and started asking questions and interfering with the class. They refused to leave.

Wild times.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Being a teacher right now seems like the worst kind of hell

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Still Dismal posted:

I'm okay with this.

But politically, probably makes more sense to give the post to someone who will then owe him a huge favor.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Goodpancakes posted:

now?

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
It would be really cool if Barbara Lee became Senator, but I'm doubtful it would happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Goodpancakes posted:

It's really bad because they are being pressured to go back to school, but the reality is that classrooms are germ labs and they'll almost all certainly get COVID. My wife has asthma and a few other things - she's also a very sickly person in general - so it could very well kill her or make her into one of those COVID zombie people who never get over it. It's not good for everyone else's kids that they have to stay home (and we're dealing with that right now as well) but it's not good for MY kids if their mom is dead or has super-Lyme-disease symptoms for possibly years on end.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1287829120408145922

More extensive writeup on the planned CA stimulus, looks like they're funding it via a lot of accounting tricks and will probably require a federal bailout in a couple of years to make up for the bonds/taxes we're trying to borrow against.

Anyone know of any follow up on this?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I think some counties have their own eviction moratoriums separate from the statewide one. Would they be invalidated by this decision?

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1294114019176075270?s=19

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Everybody charge your poo poo tonight 'cause it's time for :supaburn: rolling blackouts :supaburn:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Pinche Rudo posted:

I think some counties have their own eviction moratoriums separate from the statewide one. Would they be invalidated by this decision?

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1294114019176075270?s=19

Some how this will cause rents go up.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjEI3Ko-kp8&feature=youtu.be&t=5306

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just the worst (California) weather in the bay area right now. Hot dry thunderstorm, windy as gently caress all night, humidity up. Its only going to get hotter too. Expectin more blackouts

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 16, 2020