Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's kind of true, except they are on the side of covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

it's definitely trolling, in the sense that in a sense it is true but also incredibly provocative in how it's presented

We unbelievably hosed the quarantine but our medical researchers have been at the forefront of developing effective treatments and have what appears to be the leading canddiate for viable vaccine, it's just phrased in an extremely callous way to get those hate clicks

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We are in the forefront, as in, this is where most of the fighting has had to occur.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
what an aggressively misleading title. it's saying that the us and uk are #1 because they have more pharma research going on. interesting how they don't mention e.g. china's vaccine progress

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

redleader posted:

what an aggressively misleading title. it's saying that the us and uk are #1 because they have more pharma research going on. interesting how they don't mention e.g. china's vaccine progress

It's the best in the world, for rich people who live in the UK part time at most.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lol Bloomberg

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Valko posted:

I am quite literally lost for loving words. I read this whole thread and it's basically 'The US and the UK are the two leading nations in the fight against Covid-19'. This is something you would expect from the mouth of Bojo or Trump when the handlers are distracted. I haven't even read the replies yet.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1286288768002072577

Led By Donkeys have done a timeline of BoJo's response
https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1282915698604376064

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

trending and twitter-promoted topics and tweets in the uk are a loving ride

like just open an incognito window to twitter.com sometimes. recent ones in memory are "beloved author jk rowling faces harassment after voicing feminist beliefs" and "corbyn crony out after spreading antisemitic conspiracy"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

V. Illych L. posted:

peter oborne, noted conservative, has been writing fairly extensively on this, e.g. here:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/were-labours-antisemitism-failures-really-corbyns-fault/

and

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/killing-jeremy-corbyn

where he draws the obvious conclusions from the available data, I.e. that the labour right with gen.sec of the party as their point man were actively sabotaging not only the party's election campaign but also the very handling of party discipline including antisemitism.

Thanks. I had read the first opendemocracy article you linked, but also the rebuttals that were posted at the end, and it all paints a pretty muddy picture (at least to me). The second article doesn't add much to what I already knew. It is accompanied by this
https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/how-top-labour-officials-plotted-bring-down-corbyn
but the rebuttals to the opendemocracy article cast quite a lot of doubt on the validity of a number of the allegations in the leaked report. So it's still unclear.

As for the leaked report, quite a lot of people on the left who are happy to take the allegations about sabotage, factionalism etc at face value seem to ignore the report's conclusions about the prevalence of AS in the party.

The one thing that I have become aware of recently is quite how hostile the Guardian was to Corbyn. I had thought that as a leftwing (?) paper it would be broadly sympathetic to Labour and that if it was not, there were good reasons for it. Reasons, yes, good ones, now not so sure. That said, it hasn't massively changed my view of him as a politician, and while I never thought that he was antisemitic personally, I still think he handled it badly (regardless of interference from within the party - it took him years to acknowledge the issue), and if not antisemitic himself, he certainly has a whole lot of AS friends, and a bit of a blind spot about AS on the left.

Despite all that, I would choose Corbyn over Bojo and the Tories in a heartbeat, and I am staggered that there even MAY have been people in Labour who were sabotaging elections, knowing that a Tory government would result.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only people calling the guardian a leftwing newspaper are tories, in the same vain as the republicans calling CNN et al left wing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

oliwan posted:

the only people calling the guardian a leftwing newspaper are tories, in the same vain as the republicans calling CNN et al left wing.

I suppose it’s all relative. They are critical of the Conservatives.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

therattle posted:

I suppose it’s all relative. They are critical of the Conservatives.

they are so critical of the conservatives that they did their best to make sure that Labour lost the election by publishing non-stop smear stories on Corbyn.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

oliwan posted:

they are so critical of the conservatives that they did their best to make sure that Labour lost the election by publishing non-stop smear stories on Corbyn.

yeah, they publish a left-ish article here and there but when the chips are down they'll stamp out any leftie that comes close to the big leagues

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The Labour Party has a long-term problem of being made up of two fundamentally opposed groups of people; neoliberals and leftists. The neoliberals hate the leftists because they are holding the Party back; leftists can't win general elections because neoliberalism is just obviously right and everyone knows it, leftists are just naive idealists who need to either grow up and accept the real world or just join a commune somewhere. The leftists hate the neoliberals because they have perverted the Party, thinking capitalism is the best thing ever and GDP is all that matters, and are only not Conservatives because they're too socially progressive or not part of the old boys' club (and are not Lib Dems because they want to have a chance of winning).

So the neoliberals are looking for something to attack the leftists for (other than for being lefists, because the unspoken rule of the Labour Party seems to be that they're not allowed to actually discuss the fundamental problem here), and found that the anti-Semitism accusations were working (after all, we all know that the crazy leftists are all anti-Semitic). The leftists running the Labour Party try to deal with it, but nothing they're doing is working (because people on both sides are undermining the whole thing and blaming each other). A bunch of the neoliberals leak some stuff to the BBC to try to prove that the leftists are evil. The leftists in charge retaliate by calling them liars and so on. The leakers sue (because that's a great way to deal with internal problems in a political party) and for some weird reason the BBC journalist gets involved with them. Meanwhile the EHRC has started their own investigation into anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, and the leftists use that as an excuse to dig up a bunch of dirt on the neoliberals, showing how they're undermining the Party and whatever, but fortunately someone high up enough has the sense not to actually publish it or use it.

And then the 2019 General Election happens and proves each side correct; the neoliberals see it as proof that leftism can't win (even against a seemingly corrupt and incompetent opponent), and the leftists see it as proof that the neoliberals were sabotaging the Party (and don't mind too much about the neoliberal Conservatives being in power). Neither considering that they lost partly because they were too busy fighting each other, and partly because the background to the election was stacked heavily against them (well-connected opponent, happy to lie and cheat, plenty of media support, really simple - if deceptive - message and so on).

Anyway. In the resulting internal power struggle the leftists get kicked out and the neoliberals take charge. And so some leftist (probably) decides to leak the report digging up dirt on the neoliberals. And some of those attacked in that report are now suing the Labour Party (again, because litigation is the best way to resolve internal problems in a political party) over the report - despite it not being published by the Labour Party. And now someone in the Party has leaked internal criticism of the report (written after the report was leaked) to undermine the report and help those suing over it, or maybe to give the Labour leadership more cover in settling that lawsuit as well??

All of which is going on with the background of an independent inquiry into the report (not into the original anti-Semitism accusations - we had that inquiry way-back-when and of course no one listened to it). And the on-going EHRC investigation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PawParole posted:

The Labour Party has a long-term problem of being made up of two fundamentally opposed groups of people; neoliberals and leftists. The neoliberals hate the leftists because they are holding the Party back; leftists can't win general elections because neoliberalism is just obviously right and everyone knows it, leftists are just naive idealists who need to either grow up and accept the real world or just join a commune somewhere. The leftists hate the neoliberals because they have perverted the Party, thinking capitalism is the best thing ever and GDP is all that matters, and are only not Conservatives because they're too socially progressive or not part of the old boys' club (and are not Lib Dems because they want to have a chance of winning).

So the neoliberals are looking for something to attack the leftists for (other than for being lefists, because the unspoken rule of the Labour Party seems to be that they're not allowed to actually discuss the fundamental problem here), and found that the anti-Semitism accusations were working (after all, we all know that the crazy leftists are all anti-Semitic). The leftists running the Labour Party try to deal with it, but nothing they're doing is working (because people on both sides are undermining the whole thing and blaming each other). A bunch of the neoliberals leak some stuff to the BBC to try to prove that the leftists are evil. The leftists in charge retaliate by calling them liars and so on. The leakers sue (because that's a great way to deal with internal problems in a political party) and for some weird reason the BBC journalist gets involved with them. Meanwhile the EHRC has started their own investigation into anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, and the leftists use that as an excuse to dig up a bunch of dirt on the neoliberals, showing how they're undermining the Party and whatever, but fortunately someone high up enough has the sense not to actually publish it or use it.

And then the 2019 General Election happens and proves each side correct; the neoliberals see it as proof that leftism can't win (even against a seemingly corrupt and incompetent opponent), and the leftists see it as proof that the neoliberals were sabotaging the Party (and don't mind too much about the neoliberal Conservatives being in power). Neither considering that they lost partly because they were too busy fighting each other, and partly because the background to the election was stacked heavily against them (well-connected opponent, happy to lie and cheat, plenty of media support, really simple - if deceptive - message and so on).

Anyway. In the resulting internal power struggle the leftists get kicked out and the neoliberals take charge. And so some leftist (probably) decides to leak the report digging up dirt on the neoliberals. And some of those attacked in that report are now suing the Labour Party (again, because litigation is the best way to resolve internal problems in a political party) over the report - despite it not being published by the Labour Party. And now someone in the Party has leaked internal criticism of the report (written after the report was leaked) to undermine the report and help those suing over it, or maybe to give the Labour leadership more cover in settling that lawsuit as well??

All of which is going on with the background of an independent inquiry into the report (not into the original anti-Semitism accusations - we had that inquiry way-back-when and of course no one listened to it). And the on-going EHRC investigation.

Who said politics was boring?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

So the House of Commons twitter account deleted this:

How the gently caress did they try and justify voting against that?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
They don't have to justify anything, they have half a decade to smash and grab

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PawParole posted:

Ok but the leftists are completely right? Why try to frame it as both sides beiong wrong here?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

fatelvis posted:

How the gently caress did they try and justify voting against that?

Just don't talk about it and in 5 days there'll be something else that'll grab people's attention.

Which itself will be forgotten 5 days after that.

That's the past 4 years in a nutshell.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Doctor Jeep posted:

yeah, they publish a left-ish article here and there but when the chips are down they'll stamp out any leftie that comes close to the big leagues

it was really remarkable the complete about turn. as someone who had been reading the guardian since the blair years.

so to me they'd spent almost 15 years promoting and proposing social democrat ideas, then the moment corbyn comes onto the scene in any real way they completely about turn on all those exact same ideas, which he's now proposing.
he was also by far the most pro-immigrant candidate, he was precisely the guardianista candidate.

they loving hated him, the guardian attacked and loathed corbyn as much as any british paper.
maybe the express attacked him more cause theyr the schizophrenic english rage paper but other than that I'd put the graun at the top

and as explained, he was the guardianista candidate, so the guardian spending 5 years in hysterical paroxysm was extremely effective.
this was post-snowden so at this point the guardian was already partially acting as a front for the intelligence services.

luckily Mi5 had an ace in the hole, a man who would lick any boot, apologise for any crime, undergo any humiliation. by chance parachuted into a safe seat the very year they would need him.
Operation Spilt Jam begins

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't know how to explain this, but the media are absolute garbage and simply cannot be trusted in any way on any topic

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
haha, I just remembered the time an army general said he would consider a violent coup if Corbyn ever became PM and the papers made the guy out to be some kind of hero.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also Mike Pompeo saying that if Corbyn became PM the US would have to "take steps" and no-one from the media asking what he meant by that

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

redleader posted:

i don't know how to explain this, but the media are absolute garbage and simply cannot be trusted in any way on any topic

It's fascinating that I'd trust almost any random pedestrian to have a useful political analysis over the vast majority of professional English language journalists. The whole profession is compromised.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing is that this idea that the guardian is a left wing newspaper is so pervasive that the libs who read it think they are left wing too, or it is used as an argument to argue that there exists a varied media landscape.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

antisemite Corbyn hiding his association with black supremacists!!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

as someone from the US with Irish ancestry, the funniest attack on Corbyn was that he was an IRA sympathizer.

it made Corbyn seem like the only reasonable politician on the whole island

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The greatest is that the thing he was attacked for was talking to the IRA at all, while at the same time Maggie Thatcher was having secret talks with the IRA but denying it publicly

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's see what's in the guardian today, the most popular left-wing newspaper in the uk

(insert hagiography)

:thunk:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Do people even read the guardian that much?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

An insane mind posted:

Do people even read

No.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An insane mind posted:

Do people even read the guardian that much?

No & that's why it's on the verge of death & constantly begging you for donations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The world needs serious, in-depth, independent journalism in these increasingly complex and challenging times. Please give The Guardian your money.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the guardian is probably the most useful institution in suppressing the left so i dont think it will go anywhere for a while

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I’ve been searching for what to have for my next tattoo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jose posted this in the main thread, this is very sad. It hurts to see him still try to be so positive despite all that has been done and planned to be done to the vulnerable.

https://twitter.com/MorganPaulett/status/1292055171594428418?s=20

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1293428127201361920

You've tried Austerity, now prepare yourselves for Austerity²
Conservatives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1N_5wIokY

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I thought this was interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/12/ppe-britain-rentier-capitalism-assets-uk-economy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1293428127201361920

You've tried Austerity, now prepare yourselves for Austerity²
Conservatives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1N_5wIokY

So they knew this was coming and that was why the virus was suddenly 'not a big deal' and we had to all go out and shop to save the country. But of course it didn't work. So more people are dead, the virus is spiking in every other town and we went into a recession they've known had to happen anyway.