Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
intrigued by a fingerprint scanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
through a scanner dorkily

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/samsungbloat/status/1293230823513219074?s=20

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

microsoft... welcome 2 the dongleverse

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Legit question: is this a phablet? Is it a phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

it's definitely not a phone in a pad

but it has phone connectivity, so it's a phone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

it's one thousand four hundred dollars is what it is

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

it's one thousand four hundred dollars is what it is

This seems like a v.high price-point for, what, an iPad?

:shrug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

This seems like a v.high price-point for, what, an iPad?

:shrug:

more like two ipads mini and a hinge

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
jfc ms

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

but you can Microsoft excel on the go while ???? at home forever due to the plague

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft is great because any other company would do the pricing math long before manufacturing and realize nobody actually wants to spend that much money on such a thing and cancel it but they go ahead and launch it anyway

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kyocera did this in like 2011 and it failed miserably lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Kyocera did this in like 2011 and it failed miserably lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A9lcwQQ0gI

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

and sony

and a few startups had mixed lcd eink pairings

the edge was especially interesting to me because i spotted an engineering unit being used after it was announced but it was tonka tough chunky. it was the heady early days of eink and it seemed clever. it was not great but it was the rare dual screen that was the size of an actual book

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

and sony

and a few startups had mixed lcd eink pairings

the edge was especially interesting to me because i spotted an engineering unit being used after it was announced but it was tonka tough chunky. it was the heady early days of eink and it seemed clever. it was not great but it was the rare dual screen that was the size of an actual book

I'd be "legit down af" (as the kids say these days) for one of these running iOS/iPadOS/Whatever on both sides?

E: Apparently the kids these days now say "af". We regret the error.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 12, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

@samsungbloat??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

@samsungbloat??
it means to cum bloat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

microsoft is great because any other company would do the pricing math long before manufacturing and realize nobody actually wants to spend that much money on such a thing and cancel it but they go ahead and launch it anyway

the question is if it will outlive the kin

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

the question is if it will outlive the kin
or if it even ships (unlike the courier)

also, lol that smartphones have evolved into the same space that hdtvs have

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

E: Apparently the kids these days now say "af". We regret the error.
i. huh.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

we regret the posts alright

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

i can assure you that they knew the price would be far too high literally years ago. (and also battery life far too short). but at least they pivoted and decided not to have it run wcos, which would have forced them to market it as a "companion device" to be carried alongside your iphone or android. in retrospect that turned out to also be a good decision because of wdg's complete inability to produce a usable cshell for foldable devices.

satya can sell to enterprises but goddamn does he have no clue what to do in the consumer space.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fiedler posted:

bill steve satya can sell to enterprises but goddamn does he have no clue what to do in the consumer space.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

ballmer is definitely a clown, but bill ruthlessly crushed all opposition in the consumer market, to the point that he had to give his competition hundreds of millions of dollars to keep them afloat and avoid even more antitrust scrutiny.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, that's fair. win 95 and 98 were huge successes in the consumer space

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
there was a time when msft was a top-tier consumer tech brand. unfortunately for them, that time was 25 years ago.

people did queue up to buy windows 95 at midnight on launch day, and it was covered by national tv news. but that was a long, long time ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

there was a time when msft was a top-tier consumer tech brand. unfortunately for them, that time was 25 years ago.

people did queue up to buy windows 95 at midnight on launch day, and it was covered by national tv news. but that was a long, long time ago.

they did it for xp too, i was on local news because compusa had a bunch of other stuff on discount that was worthwhile as a college student who was awake anyway and they had a cameraman in the parking lot at lenox.

my 15 seconds of fame.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

might as well repost this here, since it's android

shameful admission: i would probably buy a microsoft made android phone

i would not buy that microsoft made android phone

Apr 7, 2003

Remember 1995, when it was cool enough in late August to dress like this

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Remember 1995, when it was cool enough in late August to dress like this

I'm p.sure it's never been cool to dress like that, actually?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chore coats are back, baby

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fiedler posted:

i can assure you that they knew the price would be far too high literally years ago. (and also battery life far too short). but at least they pivoted and decided not to have it run wcos, which would have forced them to market it as a "companion device" to be carried alongside your iphone or android. in retrospect that turned out to also be a good decision because of wdg's complete inability to produce a usable cshell for foldable devices.

satya can sell to enterprises but goddamn does he have no clue what to do in the consumer space.

is wcos that "windows 10x" thing they've de-scoped and delayed for like 3 years?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fiedler posted:

ballmer is definitely a clown, but bill ruthlessly crushed all opposition in the consumer market, to the point that he had to give his competition hundreds of millions of dollars to keep them afloat and avoid even more antitrust scrutiny.

think back to 1995. their competition was Apple, who people weren’t sure was going to make it to the next century, and $10000+ Unix workstations. even nt was still resource intensive enough as to not be aimed at the home market

for home users consumer grade windows was basically the only game in town

Apr 7, 2003

The_Franz posted:

think back to 1995. their competition was Apple, who people weren’t sure was going to make it to the next century, and $10000+ Unix workstations. even nt was still resource intensive enough as to not be aimed at the home market

I like to think about the original Macintosh which was $8400 in 2020 bucks and still sold well enough to continue development.

America was a different world back then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like to think about the original Macintosh which was $8400 in 2020 bucks and still sold well enough to continue development.

America was a different world back then.

tbf apple was also like 1/1000 the size it is today. they weren't selling Macintoshes at iphone scale.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qirex posted:

is wcos that "windows 10x" thing they've de-scoped and delayed for like 3 years?

pretty much, yeah. in theory wcos refers to a re-architected windows -- a modular platform on top of which different shells can be easily slotted for different device form factors. in practice it's a clusterfuck where terrible design decisions made up front necessitated more terrible workarounds, all culminating in thousands of man years wasted in order to produce an os that's inferior in every imaginable way except for the handful of demo scenarios used to sell it up the chain.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The_Franz posted:

true, but the home computer monopoly game started in the early 80s and it took until 1995 for billg to finally win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

tbf apple was also like 1/1000 the size it is today. they weren't selling Macintoshes at iphone scale.

No one is selling anything at iphone scale except iphones, bad example.