Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but that apparently something to do with Reans VA.

I don’t know why some scenes the rest of class 7 aren’t voiced.

Rean's VA is part of it, but it is mostly budget. Falcom doesn't have Square Enix cash to throw around at voice recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Replaying Grandia on an emulator for the speed up button instead of getting HD was definitely the correct choice. I love the game but it has so many visually uninteresting maze dungeons with stuff hidden in every corner that i'm incapable of ignoring but that takes so long to get. And many battles are unengaging "just mash attack" affairs as well so it's very nice to just go 3x speed autobattle on those. It feels like every animation and transition screen in the game always takes a fraction of a second too long.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

abraham linksys posted:

this game doesn't have a run button

Yes it does. It’s R1, R1 makes you run.

Also, I’m pretty sure when you lose it’s just items you’re carrying. So if you really wanna try out that boss just quick travel back to base, dump your stuff, and quick travel back again. The game is really good about not punishing you for losing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Black Stones posted:

Yes it does. It’s R1, R1 makes you run.

I meant like... run from fights that you're in :v:

you're right, though, I should just beeline to those bosses, I always just start collecting poo poo on the way and then I'm like "oh no I could lose some of these items!!"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

abraham linksys posted:

I meant like... run from fights that you're in :v:

you're right, though, I should just beeline to those bosses, I always just start collecting poo poo on the way and then I'm like "oh no I could lose some of these items!!"

You can also run from fights too, select the move option in a fight and you can select escape as a move option.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

You can also run from fights too, select the move option in a fight and you can select escape as a move option.

oh my god i completely forgot there was a move option at all :negative:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

thark posted:

So I'm playing Atelier Lulua and I guess I should have read up more before selecting it?

What I expected: The return of the glory days of the Arland series.

What I got: A prototype for the systems that eventually became Ryza and isn't quite there yet.

Lulua is very much Mysterious 4, gameplaywise. It doesn't have the puzzle piece alchemy but it really felt like it was a Mysterious game with Arland characters, to me

abraham linksys posted:

this game is weird. it's not very good, the progression is nonsense, it's easy enough you can ignore most of the systems, I don't like all the additional mechanics they added on the edges of crafting like the dumb bottle worlds and item duplicator or whatever, and I'm glad it's not longer than 40 hours cuz it already feels like I'm very done with it. it's cute and charming but I can't see myself playing Ryza 2 unless it makes a big, drastic change

playing on hard mode helps but yeah it's a fairly easy game

quote:

I know Ryza is generally less liked than other Ateliers by fans for being shallower and shorter

I don't think this is actually true. At least, I haven't seen it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
though if there is a large contingent of ryza dislike I could easily miss it because tbh I have no idea where good places to talk atelier on the internet even are

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ryza has a little mixed reception because you can tell more time was spent on developing its engine and systems than game content, so it ends up shorter than a lot of entries.

I still think it's a good game worth playing and the length makes it a little "punchier" if you get what I mean. It has a smaller cast than most entries as well but that means you spend more time with them and they all are more linked to the story.

EDIT: I need that Atelier gang tag but not until the lowtax thing is settled.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mokinokaro posted:

Ryza has a little mixed reception because you can tell more time was spent on developing its engine and systems than game content, so it ends up shorter than a lot of entries.

I still think it's a good game worth playing and the length makes it a little "punchier" if you get what I mean. It has a smaller cast than most entries as well but that means you spend more time with them and they all are more linked to the story.

EDIT: I need that Atelier gang tag but not until the lowtax thing is settled.

Donate to charity instead and the mods/admins will probably give it to you.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014
So I've just started Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on PSP and 30 mins or so in I feel like this game was written for a much younger audience than me. I've seen opinions on this game stating it has a slow opening. This is fine, but does the writing quality improve at all?

I know next to nothing about the entire series except that it has a massive word count, but if they're just going to use so much text to deliver cliche after cliche, I'm not sure if it's for me. Sassy girl and mysterious young boy graduating from some kind of fighters guild. And a fortune teller sees ominous signs in her cards...wooo.

I'm sorry if this comes off as unfair to any fans of the series in this thread. Would like to know if it's recommend to keep going or if this is enough indication I'm not going to like it? I have all the time in the world at the moment so I don't mind investing a few hours if it's eventually worth it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Donate to charity instead and the mods/admins will probably give it to you.

I might do that after I get paid next week.

LionEyez posted:

So I've just started Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on PSP and 30 mins or so in I feel like this game was written for a much younger audience than me. I've seen opinions on this game stating it has a slow opening. This is fine, but does the writing quality improve at all?

I know next to nothing about the entire series except that it has a massive word count, but if they're just going to use so much text to deliver cliche after cliche, I'm not sure if it's for me. Sassy girl and mysterious young boy graduating from some kind of fighters guild. And a fortune teller sees ominous signs in her cards...wooo.

I'm sorry if this comes off as unfair to any fans of the series in this thread. Would like to know if it's recommend to keep going or if this is enough indication I'm not going to like it? I have all the time in the world at the moment so I don't mind investing a few hours if it's eventually worth it.

There's a lot of lower stakes slice of life stuff in the first game especially. It'll start to develop a decent plot but 30 mins is really really hard to judge it by. I'd say try to end the first real chapter as that'll give you more of an idea what you're in for. Each chapter of FC is almost its own story that builds to the bigger plot. The actual climax of the plot though is in SC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LionEyez posted:

I mean Teails games are all about world building and slow burns.

If cliches are a turn off then I don’t really think any video game stories are going to help you.

Though destiny isn’t even a part of the story so I have no idea where that came from

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well first I would really really recommend playing the PC version over the PSP one as its script is very outdated.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

by very outdated you mean they changed like two characters' names?

why would you point that out over the fact that the pc version has a very convenient turbo mode

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LionEyez posted:

Trails is pretty much the JRPG equivalent of a longrunning Shounen comic. People bring up it being a MCU attempt but it's really much more like a Dragonball, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc. So it's always going to indulge its cliches, stereotypes, and frequently familiar tropes. Each game in a matter of sense is like an arc in one of those where the villains change but much of the principal cast doesn't (until you change to a different subseries).

But also that's like, not a negative necessarily. I mean, those comics are popular for a reason, if you execute them right they absolutely can and are fun as hell. I think Falcom does a tremendous job of being earnest as hell about the world they've made and things that should come off as cheesy feel more endearing. It becomes pretty clear that they genuinely love the series and put a lot of heart into its setting and characters. Whether it winds up working for a person is going to vary per person but like also, that's just JRPGs in a nutshell really.

For me it works, and I find settling down into any one of those games very comforting and engaging. I do think at least as far as Sky FC goes it will pick up in later chapters and that might be more engaging, but it's going to take its time doing so because that's the sort of pacing that those games live and die by.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 12, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Amppelix posted:

by very outdated you mean they changed like two characters' names?

why would you point that out over the fact that the pc version has a very convenient turbo mode
Cus they asked about the story

Turbo is of course another gigantic plus

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok but how is the script very outdated actually

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll get back to you on that in a couple hours because i need to sleep now

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

ok but how is the script very outdated actually

They changed a lot of terminology so it's consistent with the translation of SC and later games.

The big thing though is that two important scenes got heavy rewrites so it was clearer what is going on with them Lorence vs. Agate and Joshua vs. Weisman

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

huh, i had no idea!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eggnogium posted:

I just started playing the other day and had no problems with that note... Use button is in the bottom left of the item description pane. Workaround might be to throw it in a quick item slot and use it from the HUD?

As it so happens, the solution was the exact opposite; when I inspected it in the inventory screen, the use button was there. Thanks for giving the inspiration for the solution.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

if I reached Sapphire Road or whatever it was called, how far am I thru CrossCode? I'm still intrigued by the story but mostly fed up with the puzzles and especially parkour

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't mind the puzzles and stuff, I actually prefer that to just the endless monster comboing outside, but I am very tired of parkour. Walking into an area and seeing a bunch of chests and routes that are above the reach is just so....tiresome. There's no puzzling or fun to it, it's just finding that one area that you can jump up on and then having to trace routes to everything else.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sapphire Ridge is the last area unless you count Rhombus Square. If you just reached it you're about 80% through the story.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

okay, well, I finished Ryza, clocked like 37 hours and did almost all the side quests, plenty of endgame and postgame stuff left though

what a weird little game. I don't regret my time with it, and there was enough charm that it didn't feel like a waste, but the biggest thing I keep turning over in my head is how completely unengaging the systems were. I think there were, like, exactly 3 or 4 times where I sat down and actually went through and crafted some new items and gear, which... is loving wild over a nearly 40 hour game theoretically centered around crafting. I think if the game was stretched longer and had more "gates" that would help a lot. I think the only times I actually had to improve my gear to progress were dragon boss and end boss, and in between I just kinda... crafted some better bombs and stuff, more than actual gear improvements. Maybe I also messed up the balance curve by getting some good random items from Klaudia's dad?

Obviously, there's a whole bunch of endgame I could engage with, but... I just can't say I feel that compelled to. Couple guides I see online are like "how to break the game and max everything to 999" and blah blah blah and none of that is interesting to me. I just wish they'd made crafting more fun and important in the main storyline.

cheetah7071 posted:

though if there is a large contingent of ryza dislike I could easily miss it because tbh I have no idea where good places to talk atelier on the internet even are

this is mostly just the opinions of a couple people I know who have played a few Atelier games than any greater hive mind, but they were also probably reacting a bit to my specific complaints. I still find the series interesting enough I might give another one of the games a go in the future, I just hope it's a bit more interesting.

e: the thing I keep turning over in my head is that I think what I wanted from the gathering/crafting system was more of a loop. Like, when you get to a new area, if you had to gather a bunch of stuff to unlock new gear to be able to defeat stuff in that area, I think that'd be much more compelling than "well I can unlock a couple new types of items that are basically sidegrades or not necessarily obvious improvements over my stuff"

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 13, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i haven't played ryza yet but in my experience there's a pretty wide range within the atelier games of how much you need to rely on crafting better and better bombs to get by vs. getting ahead of the curve and just kinda hitting things to death. i think lydie&sue is my favorite one just because of how engaging/puzzley the crafting system gets and how much you need to rely on bombs since 4 of the 6 party members are alchemists. and also because it's the funniest game in the series

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I thought ryza should have been either 3/4ths or 5/4ths as long depending on if they really wanted to tighten up the quests and get rid of going back and forth, or have dungeons that actually require the tools you craft. Although I guess that's what the DLC island was for but being completely disconnected from the main plot dampens my enthusiasm for it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on Edge of Eternity. It’s on sale right now and it also gonna have a price raise for release.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
"attack and dethrone god"

How many of these games involve specifically killing God? I know SMT for like, the SNES, involves killing Yahweh(YWVH) but most of the other "gods" come off in the demiurge-style diety

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How many of these games involve specifically killing God? I know SMT for like, the SNES, involves killing Yahweh(YWVH) but most of the other "gods" come off in the demiurge-style diety

Like capital G God? Cause even smt doesn't qualify then.

If your thinking like lesser judeo Christian analogues then final fantasy tactics qualifys

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

In Digital Devil Saga 2 you don't kill god but you beat him up until he stops killing earth.

In Dragon Quest 7 you kill a fake god. In the postgame you have the chance to go kill (but not really) the real god.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Morpheus posted:

In Digital Devil Saga 2 you don't kill god but you beat him up until he stops killing earth.

In Dragon Quest 7 you kill a fake god. In the postgame you have the chance to go kill (but not really) the real god.

Gaius Marius posted:

Like capital G God? Cause even smt doesn't qualify then.

If your thinking like lesser judeo Christian analogues then final fantasy tactics qualifys

Thanks guys! Its usually a demi-urge and I find that evil churches seem to be more of just a criticism on the power of the catholic church or just religion in general (or western imperialism, etc) but thanks anyway. Hope Bug Fables gets a sequel!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's the now-canon ending for Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne that the Demi-Fiend beat up Lucifer so badly that Lucifer gave them an army and sent them to literally go attack and dethrone god.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How godlike does the god need to be. Cause you kill a whole lot of evil gods who are part of pantheons in eastern and western games and thats pretty par for the course even for old epic poems.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Breath of Fire got there a time or two.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Bhunivelze from Lightning Returns isn't the genuine creator of the world, but he usurped the previous head deity Zeus-style and is powerful enough to create entirely new worlds, so he probably qualifies.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

END ME SCOOB posted:

Breath of Fire got there a time or two.
Neither Myria/Tyr nor Deathevn are creator deities like the Judeo-Christian God, despite the church in BoF2 definitely being an analogy for the Christian Church. They're more the Demiurge style that TheDiceMustRoll mentions. In 3, Myria mentions a time before she was worshiped which created the Desert of Death and was responsible for the low human population on that continent, and Deathevn is some sort of offspring/remnant of Myria after she's beaten in 1. And the Endless in 4 are more Shinto style animistic deities rather than fire-and-brimstone Jehovah analogues.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Yeah just to be clear to those not aware:

Demiurge Style is usually a powerful entity, that would be like a god, but did not create the universe and isn't really omnipotent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Star Ocean 3 :v: