Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I’ve got a couple wyrmwood pieces and follow them on YouTube and they make great poo poo and have a good culture. To foster this table thing, they are going to be buying out a custom heirloom furniture shop in PA to meet the need. If I wasn’t a poor gently caress who had access to a wood shop I would buy one but otherwise I’ll just cop all of their work for my next table design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I suppose it would be a lot more appealing if it wasn't such a huge upfront cost for something so extremely far away.

If it was more "Ok $200 aud deposit to reserve a spot in line, and we'll hit you up a month before manufacturing so you can decide how small/big you want to go" I'd be down for that.
Then when Nov/Dec 2021 rolls around a year later I'd 100% ensure I had funds available knowing I'd be getting a table 1-2 months later, plus I could probably splurge on a few accessories.

300 usd is almost $420aud.
Just so hard to justify.

EDIT: I'm still currently backing it, so I'll be interested to see what happens over the next 60 days. They might shift a whole bunch of stuff around. If it's still a bridge too far at the end, I'll just pull it.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 12, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
twilight 2000 is up and still set in the distant future of the year 2000

i'm tempted because it comes with hexmaps, poland and part of sweden

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The table thing is just, have we learned nothing about the problems of trying to predict shipping costs that far ahead, imo.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Slightly more affordable and probably quicker to deliver than a Wyrmwood table, Necrotic Gnome have launched an Advanced Fantasy Old School Essentials kickstarter, which expands their advanced fantasy offering a bit:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exaltedfuneral/old-school-essentials-advanced-fantasy

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

kinkouin posted:

Wyrmwood is a little bit more established, but I am still extremely annoyed that people are still willing to pay so much, even with such mark up on all the "mods" and the toppers.

Geek Chic was established and had been around for years, looks like 2008 to 2017. I think they went under because they hired up too fast when they had a lot of preorders and burned through the deposit cash faster than they were putting out tables. Wyrmwood was founded in 2012, so they're roughly as established now as Geek Chic was when they went under.

These tables are cool, I have a friend with a Geek Chic one and a friend with one from a different brand, Carolina Game Tables. I just wouldn't put a deposit down on anything that's more than a few months out. Even then it's still a risk because the Geek Chic owner can't get any replacement parts or servicing done now if anything goes wrong.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 12, 2020

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm choosing to believe that this means that they'll ship all of Poland and also a bit of Sweden to everyone who backs the kickstarter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Twilight 2k and Advanced OSE in the same day?! This is fantastic, I am very enthused.

Also I love that the deluxe editions are just prestige covers or a fancy box, not game content exclusives.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

Geek Chic was established and had been around for years, looks like 2008 to 2017. I think they went under because they hired up too fast when they had a lot of preorders and burned through the deposit cash faster than they were putting out tables. Wyrmwood was founded in 2012, so they're roughly as established now as Geek Chic was when they went under.

Wyrmwood is acquiring a very well-established traditional furniture company, Keystone, to fulfill this Kickstarter. I have a pretty good degree of confidence that they know what they’re doing here. I don’t doubt there will be bumps, especially with this scale, but they’ve been pretty careful to only commit to what they’re confident they can deliver. They’ve talked about it a lot on their (hilarious) YouTube channel, I recommend it if you’re on the fence.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I received my physical copies of Lancer and Forbidden Lands/Bitter Reach yesterday, and I'm very impressed with both books, though Lancer certainly takes the cake. That is a massive amazingly illustrated book. Operant doesn't do anything by halves.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

People who would have to pay a lot for shipping one of those gaming tables should look into getting a local person to make it for them. Feed their local economy, get it exactly in the shape and size and feature set desired, get it sooner than two years.

For those inclined to make it for themselves but for the cost of tools, some places will rent out the tools. In some places, the library will let you check out tools.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Am I missing something or is the only difference between the standard and deluxe edition the actual box, and not the contents?

Edit: Should've refreshed. Moths answered this already.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Are those gaming tables really worth it? it feels like you if you're spending that much on a table then you probably have a gaming room for a dedicated table so you don't need to eat dinner on it?

The magnet attachments would be useful though

I think a lot of people looking at how expensive gaming tables are haven't checked the prices on a decent regular table. There's a premium, for sure, but a good quality piece of furniture is gonna be expensive regardless, and having some extra custom work to make it better for gaming on might well be worth it. For those of us who have space to have any sort of proper table, which does not include me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

malkav11 posted:

I think a lot of people looking at how expensive gaming tables are haven't checked the prices on a decent regular table. There's a premium, for sure, but a good quality piece of furniture is gonna be expensive regardless, and having some extra custom work to make it better for gaming on might well be worth it. For those of us who have space to have any sort of proper table, which does not include me.

If you are gaming regularly at a table in your living space, but don't have space for one of those giant ones, you might be even better served by a custom gaming table than somebody with a dedicated gaming space. Get something made that actually fits your space; having cup/bottle holders or snack storage alone might increase your gaming real estate. Also, if your regular gaming space won't fit one of those large tables, good news: yours should cost less to make. A similar number of cuts and joints and such, but less wood and less sanding time will save you $.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The gaming tables are great for people with kids. They're also great for games like Gloomhaven that take a long time to setup, and will be your weekly gaming group's game for a while. They're not as great for war games like Warhammer that have a lot of tall units and terrain. They're also not great for smaller size board games or smaller groups where you'll all find yourselves having to stand up and lean forward to take your turn.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

homullus posted:

If you are gaming regularly at a table in your living space, but don't have space for one of those giant ones, you might be even better served by a custom gaming table than somebody with a dedicated gaming space. Get something made that actually fits your space; having cup/bottle holders or snack storage alone might increase your gaming real estate. Also, if your regular gaming space won't fit one of those large tables, good news: yours should cost less to make. A similar number of cuts and joints and such, but less wood and less sanding time will save you $.

I have a folding table, which can be packed away. Having a permanent table doesn't really make sense.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OgreNoah posted:

I received my physical copies of Lancer and Forbidden Lands/Bitter Reach yesterday, and I'm very impressed with both books, though Lancer certainly takes the cake. That is a massive amazingly illustrated book. Operant doesn't do anything by halves.

I just wish Lancer used a font that wasn't so painful to read

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

malkav11 posted:

I have a folding table, which can be packed away. Having a permanent table doesn't really make sense.

Yeah, folding table that gets folded up regularly isn't a good candidate. Folding table that is left up perpetually is a good candidate for a gaming table the same size.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
We just bought two folding (catering style) 6x2.5ish tables and pushed them together, then used a 6x4 wargame battlemat thing to hide the seam. Makes it easy to play said wargames, or RPG or boardgames. The battlemat makes dice rolling on it for whatever nice.

It was said earlier but having folding stuff is just so much nicer for a space, and they have handles to make transporting them or getting them out of the closet easy.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

"Modular" affordable tables are the in thing now. All major companies have or will be releasing their KSer version. Wyrmwood is just the beginning, I believe Rathskellers and Geeknson also are releasing their versions. I opted with a BBO's gaming table, comes in September. Comparing what I am getting with BBO to Wyrmwood, I'm saving about $2k in accessories. Thought I may pickup a couple of the tiny wyrmwoods for the kids.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Some of us don't have a spare 6'x5' space.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Zurai posted:

Some of us don't have a spare 6'x5' space.

I think the tiny wyrmwood should fit anywhere for most. 24x44 but then again at this point, its like a 2+ year wait.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I think the tiny wyrmwood should fit anywhere for most. 24x44 but then again at this point, its like a 2+ year wait.

I was referring to the "I just bought two 6'x2.5' tables and jammed them together" comment. I actually have a custom gaming table precisely because I don't have much space.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I already have a nice gaming table from boardgametables, but if I didn't I would totally be in on this.

My table is great, no regrets, and these seem to compare very favorably in both price and quality with some neat added features that mine doesn't have.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 12, 2020

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

After my last table debacle I ended up buying one of these https://www.gametoppersllc.com/ and ignoring the godawful website the finished product is really good. Made somewhere in Minnesota, super heavy duty, and you can own whatever ugly table you want or buy a folding table and use that as a base. Plus you can stow it away. This was their second campaign and it produced ahead of schedule.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
The Wyrmwood table kickstarter just added a bunch of slots, if you hurry you can get in as early as July 2021 (at time of writing).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

After my last table debacle I ended up buying one of these https://www.gametoppersllc.com/ and ignoring the godawful website the finished product is really good. Made somewhere in Minnesota, super heavy duty, and you can own whatever ugly table you want or buy a folding table and use that as a base. Plus you can stow it away. This was their second campaign and it produced ahead of schedule.

I have to admit, those look super appealing. I'm a little worried about my cheapo Menard's folding table holding up under something like that, and the stowaway factor is nice but I think I might be pushing my limits stowing table, topper, and accessories. And that's still a lot of money. But...bookmarked, for sure.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
See this one? Token Sesame I'm all about clever organizing solutions and this looks pretty slick. Afraid I'm falling prey to an As-Seen-On-TV style pitch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Last Sword has started delivering "The Jungle's Awakening" and I received my Caiman miniatures in the mail. These are the first miniatures I've bought on Kickstarter that were from a small company (I've only backed Mantic previously) and while the wait was long, they did deliver and the quality is exceptional.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Twilight: 2000 is taking off like a rocket. Over 3000 backers and $224,000 on the first day.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/twilight-2000-roleplaying-in-the-wwiii-that-never-was

I've got the hardback they did for Alien, if the production quality matches this is going to be a gorgeous boxed set. I like that they're re-focusing it to be a hexcrawl.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Atlas Hugged posted:

Last Sword has started delivering "The Jungle's Awakening" and I received my Caiman miniatures in the mail. These are the first miniatures I've bought on Kickstarter that were from a small company (I've only backed Mantic previously) and while the wait was long, they did deliver and the quality is exceptional.

I got some of their Undead and the quality is really good.

Received some of Heresy Lab's stuff as well, but it was a mixed bag.
Their newer models (Old World) are very nice, but the older female 40K models are horribly fuzzy and lack detail.

If you want to try something else, I can recommend Yedharo Models.
They do fantasy stuff and I backed their Dwarves, which were just as nice as the Last Sword miniatures.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Will there be retail or other ways to get Lancer beyond a PDF if I didn't know it existed until about a week ago? I'd like to get my hands on the book, giant robots are my jam.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Azubah posted:

Will there be retail or other ways to get Lancer beyond a PDF if I didn't know it existed until about a week ago? I'd like to get my hands on the book, giant robots are my jam.

From what I understand, Massif will be selling any extra printed stock they have at some point.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nholmes/gunandslinger-0

This looks pretty cool; a three-player game where one person plays a gunslinger and another plays the gun.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That does look pretty cool, I'll have to take a closer look.

Not really RPG-related, but got my linocut from Greg Stolze's After the Cops story KS!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm helping Dee Pennyway with their Mnemonic project, which just launched this morning. Mnemonic is a sort of shared fiction space in TTRPG form, with a really neat approach to canon and ruleset, and I'm really excited for some of the amazing community building work Dee is trying to do with this project. Some of the more interesting stuff is yet-to-be-announced but they're talking about a p comprehensive open toolkit for creating games and building hype and stuff. It's neat and I think people in here might like it. Check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mnemonicrpg/mnemonic-a-weavers-almanac

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does Tiny Epic usually underpromise and overdeliver? Because a backer update just went out for Tiny Epic Pirates and it reads like it's off to the printers and fulfilling soonish.

Think the original ships by date was March 2021.

Nice little update to wake up to.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

Does Tiny Epic usually underpromise and overdeliver? Because a backer update just went out for Tiny Epic Pirates and it reads like it's off to the printers and fulfilling soonish.

Yeah, dunno about the possibility of it shipping early, I was more surprised that they’re advertising they made yet another version of Tiny Epic Galaxies when they already just recently made Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies. Odd direction and I’m wondering if it’ll start a new line or just be a one-off.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I’m pretty sure that fulfillment thing was for add-ons of other games as several of them were in reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, dunno about the possibility of it shipping early, I was more surprised that they’re advertising they made yet another version of Tiny Epic Galaxies when they already just recently made Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies. Odd direction and I’m wondering if it’ll start a new line or just be a one-off.

TEG: Blast Off is a simplified version of the game. The changes are that only the first three dice can be followed, using the Converter is a little different, and the planets now have less complex abilities and use iconography instead of text.

And people are receiving updates for TEPirates? I'm not.