Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

CANS

Carburetors Are Not Sorcery

Sorcery, no. Witchcraft? Possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Basic physics. Saying “I don’t get carbs” is saying “I don’t get basic physics”, which is fine, but it isn’t witchcraft or sorcery.

I’m not going after you specifically, I just think this “carbs are so complicated” story keeps people from ever trying to understand them in the first place.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's true, and I've fiddled many a carb in my day.

That being said I'll take my fuel being calculated and injected by electronic wizardry over mechanical wizardry, thank you very much.

Like setting a mechanical governor is cool and poo poo, fiddling the balls around while they're spinning and all that, but having a computer do it for you is way better.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
CA: Fiddling the balls around while they're spinning

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Aren’t carbs complicated in the same way a mechanical watch is complicated? It’s easy to understand the operating principles but troubleshooting and fine tuning is maybe less easy.

I don’t have either so maybe I’m way off.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I was planning on doing some stuff to it over the winter while it's parked, was just a little curious about others experiences.

As for carbs, I definitely see where the love comes from. The sound and buttfeel of the secondaries opening is groovy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Basic physics. Saying “I don’t get carbs” is saying “I don’t get basic physics”, which is fine, but it isn’t witchcraft or sorcery.

I’m not going after you specifically, I just think this “carbs are so complicated” story keeps people from ever trying to understand them in the first place.

Agreed!

Elviscat posted:

That's true, and I've fiddled many a carb in my day.

That being said I'll take my fuel being calculated and injected by electronic wizardry over mechanical wizardry, thank you very much.

Both carbs and fuel injection are cool and good. They each have their respective places.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Efi: finished products made by competent people, it just works (when made by competent not-orange companies), does the job well enough.

Carbs: projects, swaps, retrofitting onto terrible efi bikes, effective tuning without spending hundreds of dollars, getting that throttle response surgically perfect.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Efi: finished products made by competent people, it just works (when made by competent not-orange companies), does the job well enough.

Carbs: projects, swaps, retrofitting onto terrible efi bikes, effective tuning without spending hundreds of dollars, getting that throttle response surgically perfect.

someone has had seat time with the 990 LC8.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Can I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease in place of Suzuki Super Grease A? I don't think A is even available in the US, nor can I determine what it is. I don't know much about the various kinds of grease but I heard there are compatibility issues with mixing lithium based greases with non-lithium ones.

Maybe a better question is outside of tearing down the engine, how many different greases do I need for a bike? Some high temp grease and just some plain white lithium? I've been pretty bad at greasing things historically, but as I have the gixxer in pieces I'm thoroughly cleaning everything so it's going to need some grease when I put it back together.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Can I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease in place of Suzuki Super Grease A? I don't think A is even available in the US, nor can I determine what it is. I don't know much about the various kinds of grease but I heard there are compatibility issues with mixing lithium based greases with non-lithium ones.

Maybe a better question is outside of tearing down the engine, how many different greases do I need for a bike? Some high temp grease and just some plain white lithium? I've been pretty bad at greasing things historically, but as I have the gixxer in pieces I'm thoroughly cleaning everything so it's going to need some grease when I put it back together.

You need:

EP bearing grease.

That's it. Different people like to use a bunch of different kinds on different poo poo but honestly it's just grease; much like engine oil and chain lube, how much and how often matters way way more than what kind but people always fixate on the last bit. Your levers and shifter and swingarm and steering and whatever else can't tell what kind of grease it is as long as there's lots of it and it doesn't wash out too easily.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

About six years ago I got a 1-lb can of Mobil 1 synthetic that I have used on everything* that has needed greasing since and I still probably have 80% of it left. It's got lithium in it. It's what bearings crave. Get a can of that and be happy.

*except helmet face shield mechanisms. For that I use clear silicone based stuff. Everything else gets the red Mobil

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

About six years ago I got a 1-lb can of Mobil 1 synthetic that I have used on everything* that has needed greasing since and I still probably have 80% of it left. It's got lithium in it. It's what bearings crave. Get a can of that and be happy.

*except helmet face shield mechanisms. For that I use clear silicone based stuff. Everything else gets the red Mobil

Replace red Mobil with blue putoline and this is me. I like it because it's got less of a mozerella tendency when you're handling it than automotive stuff.

Been ages since I got my shoei but I'm pretty sure they come with a little bottle of silicone lube don't they?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Carbs vs. Efi is like doing your own taxes by hand vs paying an accountant to do them for you.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Carbs vs. Efi is like doing your own taxes by hand vs paying an accountant to do them for you.

And among that EFI:

KTM charges a ton but gets you a mind boggling tax return with all sorts of loopholes. You get audited 4 months later and go into debt.

Husky is the same guy as above, but charges more and wears a nice suit.

Yamaha is a little pricy but gets a decent return and is always accurate.

Honda counsels you on adjusting your payroll so you don't overpay on taxes throughout the year. Also does bang on accurate taxes, but is boring to deal with.

Suzuki is your mate who is professional tax preparer, but does yours for a sixer. Accurate, and helps you find extra things to claim.,,,,,

HD I guess does ok taxes but insists on using an abacas and takes forever charges you for the privilege.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

My EFI works fine, except for that one time where it would cut out on hard braking into turns, then try and kill me when it kicked back in at WOT mid-turn, because KTM thought it would be great to wire the engine kill switch through a cheap molex connector hard-mounted to the forks behind the headlight, that is mounted to the forks via literal rubber bands.

Primo poo poo besides that.

Slavvy posted:

Replace red Mobil with blue putoline and this is me. I like it because it's got less of a mozerella tendency when you're handling it than automotive stuff.

Been ages since I got my shoei but I'm pretty sure they come with a little bottle of silicone lube don't they?

We get $50,000 gearboxes stuffed full of Exxon superspacegrease and loving greases that tell us they exceed every known standard etc etc, and we clean all that poo poo out and wop in some regular conventional Mobil industrial grease at the first service opportunity and it all runs fine.

Replacing it on time is what matters, and all the real critical bearings in a bike are oil lubricated anyways, or sealed. Drop point and moly content and yadda yadda matter a lot on highspeed gearboxes where grease is the lubricating agent, but bike stuff ain't that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No no no my gear lever is a precision piece of high speed equipment that can move up to hundreds of times an hour I demand the very best!!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just having PTSD flashbacks of morons convinced their GN250 needed the $80 oil or it would fly apart on their slow waddling commute somehow.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I do exclusively use Bel-Ray in my Husky, but just because I've had it from new, you can get it in a nice kit with all the filters and o-rings and poo poo you need for the change for like $35, and KTM engines are explode enough I don't wanna tempt fate, this is despite literally going to schools to study lubricating oils and knowing it doesn't matter, but it's like a $10 difference.

Also they send 2 quarts of Bel-Ray in the kit, nameplate oil capacity is 1.1 quarts, so obviously 1 quart fills it up perfectly to the middle of the sight glass. The wonderful factory oil leak from the fill plug doesn't use any oil, so it's not like I have to top up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That extra quart is what makes it possible to reach the service intervals at all, by topping it up as it burns away. That's the 690 method anyway.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The 250 doesn't burn a drop of oil :iiam: it has, about 900 miles of trail riding, racing (slowly 'cause I suck) and about 300 miles of street riding, and I've changed the oil.twice though.

It gained a lot of "oil" after I submerged it up to the seat in water tho.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both my bikes are old and burn a noticeable amount of oil. I used to be a lot more worried about it, but then I started flying planes and turns out small airplane engines burn about a quart of oil every 5-6 hours of operation and topping it up is just normal preflight stuff. So I do the same with the bikes and have had no issues.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Both my bikes are old and burn a noticeable amount of oil. I used to be a lot more worried about it, but then I started flying planes and turns out small airplane engines burn about a quart of oil every 5-6 hours of operation and topping it up is just normal preflight stuff. So I do the same with the bikes and have had no issues.

New valve guide seals for the bikes, no helping the airplanes.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

The 250 doesn't burn a drop of oil :iiam: it has, about 900 miles of trail riding, racing (slowly 'cause I suck) and about 300 miles of street riding, and I've changed the oil.twice though.

It gained a lot of "oil" after I submerged it up to the seat in water tho.

love me some chocolate milk

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Why in the world would my KLR oil pan have a drain plug I can push up on to release oil? And it sticks down so far.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

Why in the world would my KLR oil pan have a drain plug I can push up on to release oil? And it sticks down so far.

Just don't go over any bumps too fast and you'll be sweet.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Revvik posted:

foolmoto valve

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

It's a KLR, just keep adding more as it burns off, what do you need a drain for?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I learned about the utterly useless function of this drain via the tested field repair position of “laying the fucker on its side.” I should get a lift at some point, I’m not buying that poo poo center stand kit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

"Laying the fucker on its side" is literally a factory mandated part of the oil change on KTM dirt bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The joke is that no one ever has to go back to the Honda dealer and you have to crawl back to the KTM dealer because you obviously can’t ride there :haw:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You need:

EP bearing grease.

Sagebrush posted:

OK one last dumb question - do I need to bother with the tube + grease gun? It sounds like Sagebrush is just using the tub, which is what I have lying around if I can find the drat thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I just scoop it out with a popsicle stick or by hand and smear it on whatever. If you were trying to inject it into something through a grease fitting you'd need a gun, yeah, but not for most motorcycle work.

Wear gloves if you use your fingers because it is somewhat irritating and it makes my hands feel kind of warm and tingly.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sweet, I was hoping I didn't have to mess with a gun and could just liberally scoop it out of the tub.

I don't think feeling warm and tingly after you have it on your hands is a good sign, but my hands get dry and cut open pretty easily so I do my best to wear gloves just so I don't have to wash my hands too much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I get 8x lovely painting brushes from a dollar shop, snap the heads off and use those. Really great for nailing the mythical and oft-referenced thin smear of grease. Also you don't get grease everywhere.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Why buy paint brushes to just snap the head off.

Isn’t it just a stick at that point? You can buy sticks. Or if you’re feeling cheap, there’s a thing that comes out of the ground and grows sticks. The name escapes me.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Horse Clocks posted:

Isn’t it just a stick at that point? You can buy sticks.

The caveat is you need a mini-freezer in the garage/shop, and every time you grease something, you have to eat one. I don't see any downsides.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's currently 86 degrees and it's not even 9am, plus the air is smoky from two local forest fires. I think the popsicle idea is sounding pretty good right now.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Those red n tacky tubes last forever pribably because I don’t regrease things often enough :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Isn’t it just a stick at that point? You can buy sticks. Or if you’re feeling cheap, there’s a thing that comes out of the ground and grows sticks. The name escapes me.

I snap the sticks off and throw them in the bin, the stubby heads by themselves are able to fit inside the grease container with the lid closed. So I have grease and an applicator brush in one easy package, girlfriend.