Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Regarde Aduck posted:

So they knew this was coming and that was why the virus was suddenly 'not a big deal' and we had to all go out and shop to save the country. But of course it didn't work. So more people are dead, the virus is spiking in every other town and we went into a recession they've known had to happen anyway.

yeah the quintessential tory politicking is basically if they attempt to do anything other than bung money to their mates they will basically:
> attempt to do something cruel to avoid X "bad" thing happening, the cruel part works but makes X happen

e.g. attempt to give people covid to avoid a recession, they successfully give people covid but that causes a recession

sometimes its on purpose but a lot of the time it just seems to be because they're intellectual inbreds whose evil ideology has gone unchallenged for generations of inherited wealth and comfort.
and westminster has been changed in the last few of decades to be ever more hermetically sealed off from the rest of the country

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 13:32 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

though to be fair i'm thinking of the Eat Out to Help Out scheme which was purely just to help out wetherspoons and the big chains cause their owners have been bribing the government for years and are probably threatening to give their money to the MI5 asset with a haircut isntead

so we had to spend shitloads of "taxpayer money" and taxpayer lives to help these tax dodging cunts buy another yacht

pdog
May 7, 2013
honestly it’s a farce. I’m a civil servant, and everyone here was baffled when they announced help out to eat out. as a policy it literally goes against all of the treasury’s guidelines on spending, and it’s just bizarre how they’re willing to do that for spoons and Franco manco but not for like universal credit or decarbonisation or whatever

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pdog posted:

honestly it’s a farce. I’m a civil servant, and everyone here was baffled when they announced help out to eat out. as a policy it literally goes against all of the treasury’s guidelines on spending, and it’s just bizarre how they’re willing to do that for spoons and Franco manco but not for like universal credit or decarbonisation or whatever

But universal credit helps poor people, silly.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1212679425629859840

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

pdog posted:

its literally just that those guys meet the MPs and give them money, whereas the vast majority of people are only theoretical to them

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

I think his haircut lasted longer than the good times in 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol that's my very hilarious, biting, HIGNFY style topical wit :hehe:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

crispix posted:

I think his haircut lasted longer than the good times in 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol that's my very hilarious, biting, HIGNFY style topical wit :hehe:

Here's an open question, when did folk realize that HIGNFY was actually utter crap? For me, it was when they had someone joking about pistol whipping when they had no idea what the gently caress it actually was.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
forgot the power stance SMH

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Avirosb posted:

forgot the power stance SMH

solid lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Samovar posted:

Here's an open question, when did folk realize that HIGNFY was actually utter crap? For me, it was when they had someone joking about pistol whipping when they had no idea what the gently caress it actually was.

I think when pre-UKIP Farage was on years ago (idk if he's been on since) and he got to speak uninterrupted at the end about how there are too many immigrants coming in and the country is full up and we need to get rid of them and it got a 'haha no those aren't the missing words from the headline nigel what are you like'

pdog
May 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/edwardleighmp/status/1292781286231289857?s=21

have they gone extra mental or something

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

nah, basing your foreign policy aspirations on your CK2 fanfic is a completely healthy and rational thing to do

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

We shall fight them on the beaches

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I think the climate is right for a franchise reboot of *frantically googles* the Italian War of 1551-1559

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Just found out that this guy was knighted because he opened Thatchers letters for her. Basically a 70s version of a temp.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

gavin williamson saying the quiet part loud wrt the exame results. you may have a degree in medicine but you're from a council estate so therefore Not Qualified

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
fr I can usually detach from the government just making a dog's arse of everything day to day but I can't read too much into how much they've hosed the exam results because I get properly angry about it and how it would have affected me if I was trying to sort all this aged 18

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There is a section of the British aristocracy that has always been exactly this mental. If you've ever read Terry Pratchett (particularly Jingo) these are the people he's parodying. On some very deep level they just refuse to understand that Britain isn't a world-bestriding colossus any more.

A lot of these people voted for Brexit so that we could go reconquer Africa, or send in the Navy if the French complain about fishing rights. They live 150 years ago and it's impossible to get reality to touch them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
hm

conquer calais

now all the migrants are on british soil and because we conquered them we willingly took them in and they deserve full citizenship immediately

then give it back before the french invade, or alternatively hope that they conquer the bit of the uk you live in

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
je suis bristolien, mon amourl

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
didn't the crown finally give up the "King of France" claim recently? he's gonna be pissed when he goes to war dec and realises we don't even have the casus belli anymore.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
that's why we send farage to the eu, he's been trying to fab a claim this whole time

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

gh0stpinballa posted:

gavin williamson saying the quiet part loud wrt the exame results. you may have a degree in medicine but you're from a council estate so therefore Not Qualified
a new, more efficient exam system, giving you a single certificate telling you whether or not you're below stairs for the rest of your life, determined solely by where you live and who your parents are

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the sex ghost posted:

fr I can usually detach from the government just making a dog's arse of everything day to day but I can't read too much into how much they've hosed the exam results because I get properly angry about it and how it would have affected me if I was trying to sort all this aged 18

im exactly the same, i've mostly tuned it all out because it's the same garbage day after day but this and the refugee fearmongering have really hit a nerve w me this week.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
working as intendedhttps://twitter.com/LBC/status/1293828317200752643

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Often Abbreviated posted:

didn't the crown finally give up the "King of France" claim recently? he's gonna be pissed when he goes to war dec and realises we don't even have the casus belli anymore.

Lol if you're not making fraudulent claims to get a casus belli

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Samovar posted:

When Angus Deaton left after his second time being caught by the press in an orgy of prostitutes and cocaine. The guest host bit was so hit and miss and often it'd be some intolerably smug twat like Clarkson

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
HIGNFY has always been Posh Japes for Posh Lads and serves only to neuter dissent and launder right wing propaganda, it's always been poo poo

Bakhtin was wrong, making fun of your betters only empowers them

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

CGI Stardust posted:

a new, more efficient exam system, giving you a single certificate telling you whether or not you're below stairs for the rest of your life, determined solely by where you live and who your parents are

i mean this is what its really all about, covid has given the worst people in the world the opportunity to go wild and the tories are seizing the chance

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, apparently they changed it

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 11:53 on Aug 13, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm having a devil of a time understanding what's going on here

are people getting admitted or rejected based on actuarial tables of their grades because the actual grades are taking too long? do teachers not have the power to set their students' grades but only predict them? what

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm having a devil of a time understanding what's going on here

are people getting admitted or rejected based on actuarial tables of their grades because the actual grades are taking too long? do teachers not have the power to set their students' grades but only predict them? what

it's because the teachers can't be trusted, they would give poor kids good grades and that just won't do

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm sincerely bewildered - is there a summary of this stuff anywhere?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

Found boris's account

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

Basically the current pass rates look like this:

And they made an algorithm to make sure they remain broadly the same (even then they were too generous to posh schools, but it's within reason).

The issue is that predicted grades given by the teachers are more equal between school types, and that really wouldn't do. So they reduced predicted grades from teachers such that the number of students passing for each school and school category is roughly the same as last year.

This is compounded by the fact that even within any given school predicted grades significantly favour priviledged pupils compared with actual exam results.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If they are worried about inflated pass marks they should just auto fail anyone at a fee paying school. And then throw them all into prison for good measure.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I need to stop reading this thread for a bit, this poo poo is started to genuinely enrage me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so they're literally just grading to a curve by way of algorithm because they couldn't do exams? in what world is this better than just letting teachers set the grade