Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm honestly dreading what they do with the next Doom.

How did his thread like Eternal? (In so far as a consensus can exist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why would you dread the end of a trilogy consisting entirely of real good games?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rinkles posted:

How did his thread like Eternal? (In so far as a consensus can exist)

Based on the lengthy discussion we had about it a week or so ago mostly negative (though obviously not universal considering Kins's reply).

Doom 2016 was fun Eternal was ok at best but neither of them was really "Doom".

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

eternal ruled and was an overall fantastic game but i see why people wouldn't really consider it a doom

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And I don't think you can make a game that's "really Doom" in a fully 3D world because so much of Doom's essence is in being a real time dungeon crawler with guns.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's clearly Fake Doom for Fake Gamers because you can see where you're going and there's no flashlight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kins posted:

It's clearly Fake Doom for Fake Gamers because you can see where you're going and there's no flashlight.

That's the worst one!

al-azad posted:

And I don't think you can make a game that's "really Doom" in a fully 3D world because so much of Doom's essence is in being a real time dungeon crawler with guns.

I think you can I just don't think it'd be very easy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i respected what it was doing, so to speak, but it wasn't for me. tbf, i am a scrub.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
If the walls aren't perpendicular to the floor and there isn't a fake Pantera midi playing loving count me out.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I dunno about gameplay, but Bethesda hyping a member of Trivium livestreaming it at Quakecon was probably a pointed hint at who's doing the music for the DLC.

As for Eternal, I beat it three times and loved its high points, but eventually resented being slapped to the ground hard any time I deviated from the One True Path for dealing with any given scenario. I'm lukewarm about the DLC at best, and skeptical of the third game outright - especially after the Mick Gordon drama and his probable absence from it.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 13, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I unabashedly love Doom 5 and rank it below Doom 2 only because Doom 2's WAD and Mod scene is insane.

For me its 2, 5, 4, 3 Xpansion, 64, 1, 3 base game but I haven't played 3's expansion so its very concievably worse than I remember.

Edit: added Doom 64

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 13, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hasturtium posted:

I dunno about gameplay, but Bethesda hyping a member of Trivium livestreaming it at Quakecon was probably a pointed hint at who's doing the music for the DLC.

As for Eternal, I beat it three times and loved its high points, but eventually resented being slapped to the ground hard any time I deviated from the One True Path for dealing with any given scenario. I'm lukewarm about the DLC at best, and skeptical of the third game outright - especially after the Mick Gordon drama and his probable absence from it.

These were my thoughts as well. I played it, beat it, had fun once I got the hang of the mechanics, but the game gives ZERO leeway for how you approach fights. And because of that I have no interest in replaying it.

You have to play the encounters exactly as the designers wanted you to. For example, as I stated in a previous post, shooting grenades into the mouths of Cacodemons with that "GULP" sound was cool at first but by the end-game I was sick of doing it. However, it's the best, and developer-approved way to kill them so the game basically forces you to keep doing it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's some more Fake Doom:
https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1293934149628289027

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I also enjoyed both DOOM 2016 and DOOM: ETERNAL, and if I had to pick one that I liked more, it'd probably be Eternal. There's a lot of things going on and--like people have said a bunch already--the combat can feel more like a Character Action game, but it was a more frenetic FPS experience than basically anything I can recall in recent memory.

I wasn't a huge fan of the additional systems: The freeze grenade, the flame belch, etc. and found myself usually forgetting about them and/or ignoring them, even on Nightmare difficulty. I think I warmed up to the Blood Punch a lot more by virtue of the fact that I'd periodically try to punch something in the face in the heat of the moment and end up gibbing them--pretty handy as a periodic reminder of its existence.

Absolutely hated the Marauder for the first 30 minutes of the initial encounter and, once I figured them out, I actually kind of looked forward to their occasional appearance.

With the exception of the plasma gun's "microwave mod", all of the weapons felt punchy and useful...even if I did gravitate toward 3 or 4 of them, specifically, and found myself rarely using the Ballista.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 13, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nothing in Doom 2016 was better than in Doom Eternal.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ammo capacity?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

Ammo capacity?
D05M gives you unlimited ammo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordja posted:

The gauss cannon was better than the ballista

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

Not having so much terrible plot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Haven't played Eternal but 2016, like all Dooms, begins as a perfect 10 then slides downhill after the first episode.

Doom 3 is a weird inversion where I only want to play the hell level and nothing else.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

this is very cool.

They also did a fixes/update pass on the WAD for this release, also available for regular use: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/69960-back-to-saturn-x-episode-2-is-out-of-beta-v100-aug-13-2020/

quote:

Download BTSX E2 Version 1.0.0: http://esselfortium.net/wasd/btsx_e2.zip
This long-procrastinated update includes a lot of balancing revisions and bug fixes, a handful of new textures, substantial updates to several maps, and a completely overhauled MAP20 that only barely fits into the blockmap limit. Enjoy!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not having so much terrible plot.

Oh, you're one of those absolute morons who cares about the story. A real freak-of-nature. How I pity you.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

Just the story, writing, art style, soundtrack, voice acting, UI and level design.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Definitive Doom tier list:

D2(because of mods and wads), D:E, BD, D1(because of its significance), D2016, D64

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Definitive Doom tier list:

D2(because of mods and wads), D:E, BD, D1(because of its significance), D2016, D64

You are going to make some people's blood boil with that D64 at the bottom!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I have never played Doom64

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I think I'm just broken and do not like modern graphics and can't get past it. I was just watching people play Eternal on Twitch and there's like motion blur every 3 seconds and particle effects everywhere and it's just constant sensory overload.

I feel like readability is everything and so chromatic aberration and god rays and bloom and 666 billion tri models and poo poo just irritate my old, failing brain.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

caleb posted:

I think I'm just broken and do not like modern graphics and can't get past it. I was just watching people play Eternal on Twitch and there's like motion blur every 3 seconds and particle effects everywhere and it's just constant sensory overload.

I feel like readability is everything and so chromatic aberration and god rays and bloom and 666 billion tri models and poo poo just irritate my old, failing brain.

I think this is fair. Doom 16 and especially Eternal are incredibly fast paced, exhausting affairs with alot happening on screen at once. I imagine if you have any kind of sensory issue or sensitivity the game is going to be pretty much unplayable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the straight line design of doom5's back end levels sucked

but it has some incredible opening hours so those were worth it

the second half put me off of buying 6 or (eventually) 7 though. also i never liked the closed arenas

it does feel like this is a topic every 3 days. ultimately there are a lot of cool retro-FPSes now so I'm good. ultrakill early fall, babey

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mordja posted:

I have never played Doom64

You should. It loving owns.

Can someone help me install Yamagi Quake 2 on Mac? I installed all the right files and put them in the right places but it still won’t launch.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Oh Lordy, this with the Final Doomer BtSX weapons will keep me happy for a while, thank you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

Oh, you're one of those absolute morons who cares about the story. A real freak-of-nature. How I pity you.

No it's that I don't care about the story (in the sense there should barely be one).

caleb posted:

I think I'm just broken and do not like modern graphics and can't get past it.

I'm the same sort of brokebrained.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 13, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I noticed that when playing the Ratchet games back to back. At first I wasn't sure what it was, but I think I was enjoying the PS2 games more because the image was easier to parse.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hasturtium posted:

Oh Lordy, this with the Final Doomer BtSX weapons will keep me happy for a while, thank you.
I like how the first level took me 20 minutes with putting god mode on halfway through and spamming the light amplification visor because the Switch's screen is just a little too dark. Par time of :30? Right.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I'm also a person who has a hard time with modern graphics, it's usually way too busy, like the clear design of old games a lot better.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

caleb posted:

I find this is an issue with a lot of modern games because you just get sensory overload with all the detail and it's why so many have gone for hacky solutions like throwing more UI indicators on things to highlight what is actually important vs. what is just scenery. I think it's not just about detail but about art direction and some games are better about this than others. The worst offenders are the ones where everything is moving all the time and you can't pick anything out from the mess.

I haven't played it but I feel like Control is a good example of a game where they use the art direction well, to have a game that looks pretty but also has clearly readable environments vs. enemies (Mirror's Edge did a similar thing) by using very stark, plain colour environments with details used sparingly rather than everything being greebled to hell.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Borderlands 3 v Borderlands 2 is a good recent example of the importance of readability, and how prettier isn't always better.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I find all the comments about Doom Eternal not giving any leeway in how you play vastly overstated. The game has quite a variety of options to handle every situation, and a variety of difficulty levels to accommodate every player.

The amount of discussion regarding the Marauder in the main Eternal thread is proof of that. Every time someone bitches about how they hate having “one true way” to beat Marauders, several people pipe up and provide a variety of strategies that work effectively.

As someone who started playing Doom in ‘93 with the Shareware release, I believe that Doom Eternal is every bit as good as the classics. The only thing it’s missing is a mod scene and 25 years of worship.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not untrue that Doom Eternal has a variety of options, the problem is that it forces you to use all of them, in rapid succession, constantly, for most of the time spent in almost every major fight. You match one enemy to its countermeasure, then you have to do a different one, then a third one, now a second of the first one has spawned but its countermeasure is still on cooldown, and so on. You can't pick your favorite gun or the one with the most ammo and just blast away like you can in 2016 or the 2.5D games.