Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bessantj posted:

What if he punched the shield?
What if Thanos punched cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dan Didio posted:

Doesn't Ock punch a guy's jaw clean off in Superior Spider-Man?

It was Scorpion's. Which seems weird because Scorpion has similar super strength so it's like a regular human punching another regular human's jaw off.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Spider-man adjacent: Has Tony or Forge or even loving A.I.M offered Dr. Conners a robot arm? Yeah, I get it, you are a comic book scientist, you're whole shtick is regrowing limbs with lizard science magic. But if you are so obsessed with getting your arm back that your entire focus of your adult life has been to do that, what if, you just simply get a replacement robot arm? And if you really simply must get an organic, biological, grown from your own body arm, you can work on that in the meantime with two functioning arms. Be twice as fast.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not just about his own arm, though. If he is successful then he can help the whole world.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That would require superheroes to be interested in rehabilitation and not just locking people up in places like The Raft and Arkham

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

He'd have to yield, the rules really don't allow for much leeway here.

Ah, of course.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Y'know that bit in Superman vs. Spider-Man where the ray that lets Spidey trade punches with Supes wears off?

No I don't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CzarChasm posted:

Spider-man adjacent: Has Tony or Forge or even loving A.I.M offered Dr. Conners a robot arm? Yeah, I get it, you are a comic book scientist, you're whole shtick is regrowing limbs with lizard science magic. But if you are so obsessed with getting your arm back that your entire focus of your adult life has been to do that, what if, you just simply get a replacement robot arm? And if you really simply must get an organic, biological, grown from your own body arm, you can work on that in the meantime with two functioning arms. Be twice as fast.

Honestly Doc Connors' not really obsessed with getting his arm back after that first attempt. Most of his stories revolve around trying to ride damage control on the Lizard thanks to said attempt or helping Spidey out with big brain science stuff that's not in Pete's own area of expertise, or in some cases the latter leading to the former like trying to make a chemical to get Rhino's armor off and the chemicals turning him into the Lizard again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Lizard is actually a terrible example for the "superheroes don't care about rehabilitation they only want to hurt and punish the underclass" hot take or whatever, because Curt Connors has been given many many second chances and they all go bad, sometimes not through his own actions, because of comic books.

In his very first appearance where he accidentally turns himself into the Lizard, Spider-Man puts together a cure, reverts Connors to human form, and decides not to tell any authorities that Connors was the lizard monster they were looking for because he didn't have any control over the transformation.

Connors became a recurring character in the Lee/Ditko/Romita Spider-Man books as an ally, but when he reverts back to the Lizard Spider-Man again whips up a cure and doesn't send him to the cops or anything.

The third time he becomes the Lizard he's blackmailed into doing it by the mob and Spider-Man once again gives him the cure and doesn't send him to jail.

This continues for years, as best as I can tell the first time Curt Connors/The Lizard ever faces any jail time is in the 1990s, when Todd McFarlane's big debut writing gig "Torment" has the Lizard mind controlled by Calypso into killing and eating people and in the aftermath his dual identity is exposed. Peter Parker appears as a witness for the defense, but Connors decides to plead guilty drop any defense motions because if he can't control the Lizard he is a public threat.

At some point in the late 1990s/2000s he got slotted into the "well look who is part of this bank robbing/world beating team of villains someone has cobbled together" rotation and also he just ate people as a matter of course. He probably got sent to jail on/off panel a lot in that stretch. Millar used him in this capacity at least twice, once in MK Spider-Man and once in Civil War.

More recently they keep veering back and forth on him, he's mindswapped between Lizard-but-human-brain, human-but-lizard-brain, worked for the Avengers, eaten his own son, gotten an inhibitor chip, helped someone else grow legs, turned the unstable clones of his dead family into living half lizard clones, and last I checked is back to teaching grad school and being one of Peter Parker's professors.

The metal arm thing is absolutely like a "no, I want to succeed on my own terms" thing if you can ascribe motive to a character who's banged around across so many writers for so long.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Whoa sorry I joked about the Lizard in a forum thread

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

It was Scorpion's. Which seems weird because Scorpion has similar super strength so it's like a regular human punching another regular human's jaw off.

Scorpion in fact has more super strength than Spidey, that was kind of the whole gimmick of their initial matchup. This dude's even more resilient and powerful than Spidey, and can keep up with him agility-wise, how is our hero gonna win?

That kind of got forgotten over the years as they made his costume ever-more gimmicky and embarrassing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bessantj posted:

No I don't.

Lex Luthor and I think Doc Ock worked together and developed a ray that temporarily granted Spider-man Superman level strength. Typical comic book crossover misunderstanding happens and Spidey and Supes fight. Then the ray wears off and Spider-man really hurts his hand punching Superman in the chest. Not enough to break it interestingly (because the other half of the comic needs to happen), so either normal Spider-man can full on punch Superman and not shatter every bone in his hand, or Spider-Sense jumped in and had him pull his punch just enough to hurt, but not do any lasting damage.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Unmature posted:

You seem new here, and by that I mean a terrible poster

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dan Didio posted:

He'd have to yield, the rules really don't allow for much leeway here.
good

good joke

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Lex Luthor and I think Doc Ock worked together and developed a ray that temporarily granted Spider-man Superman level strength. Typical comic book crossover misunderstanding happens and Spidey and Supes fight. Then the ray wears off and Spider-man really hurts his hand punching Superman in the chest. Not enough to break it interestingly (because the other half of the comic needs to happen), so either normal Spider-man can full on punch Superman and not shatter every bone in his hand, or Spider-Sense jumped in and had him pull his punch just enough to hurt, but not do any lasting damage.

So a bit like in BvS where Batman was smacking Supes around then the effect of the kryptonite wore off and Bats was doing no damage?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Scorpion in fact has more super strength than Spidey, that was kind of the whole gimmick of their initial matchup. This dude's even more resilient and powerful than Spidey, and can keep up with him agility-wise, how is our hero gonna win?

That kind of got forgotten over the years as they made his costume ever-more gimmicky and embarrassing.

Yeah I just said similar to avoid the specifics or discussions of strength tiers because while he was created to be better in all physical attributes he seems less of a threat now, especially since Venom but also by being a foil for Captain America. Punching his jaw off seems even crazier if we're supposed to still believe that Scorpion is considerably stronger.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

This continues for years, as best as I can tell the first time Curt Connors/The Lizard ever faces any jail time is in the 1990s, when Todd McFarlane's big debut writing gig "Torment" has the Lizard mind controlled by Calypso into killing and eating people and in the aftermath his dual identity is exposed. Peter Parker appears as a witness for the defense, but Connors decides to plead guilty drop any defense motions because if he can't control the Lizard he is a public threat.

While mostly true, I do think at one point Curt turned himself in and was sent to... let's say the Vault because Project Pegasus feels too early and the Raft too late.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Skwirl posted:

A lot of things about Spider-Man are constantly in flux. He's supposed to be almost as strong as the Thing, yet struggles in fights with a lot of people who are just normal humans that work out a bunch. Sometimes his Spiders-sense is basically omniscient and other times he walks into a door.

Nah, man. Last I checked (admittedly, it's been a minute) Spidey can lift around 10 tons on a good day and Ben can lift around like 80 tons

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Unmature posted:

Alaois posted:

You seem new here, and by that I mean a terrible poster

Norman Osborn, the Punative Pervert of Posts and current warden of Ravenkroft Asylum, says:

"Mmmm... probate them all."

But hold on! Doc Samson the rehabilitation wizard says:

"I think a lot of people are tired of this line of conversation when, as E&C notes pretty thoroughly, it isn't really supported by the text, but the response here was a little over the line. Let's drop it and move on, leave that nutty old Lizard in peace."

So I'll say-- if you say something kind of tired or wrong in BSS you just sort of have to get used to being corrected because a lot of the fun for a lot of fans is knowing the ins and outs of continuity. It's happened to everyone and taking your licks is just part of the culture I think. That being said, Alaois, tone it down like 15%, Unmature's posts were not that bad.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 13, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

Norman Osborn, the Punative Pervert of Posts and current warden of Ravenkroft Asylum, says:

"Mmmm... probate them all."

But hold on! Doc Samson the rehabilitation wizard says:

"I think a lot of people are tired of this line of conversation when, as E&C notes pretty thoroughly, it isn't really supported by the text, but the response here was a little over the line. Let's drop it and move on, leave that nutty old Lizard in peace."

So I'll say-- if you say something kind of tired or wrong in BSS you just sort of have to get used to being corrected because a lot of the fun for a lot of fans is knowing the ins and outs of continuity. It's happened to everyone and taking your licks is just part of the culture I think. That being said, Alaois, tone it down like 15%, Unmature's posts were not that bad.

It's Normin Osborne

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

While mostly true, I do think at one point Curt turned himself in and was sent to... let's say the Vault because Project Pegasus feels too early and the Raft too late.
We might be talking about the same storyline, Connors was sent to the Vault after pleading guilty in the Trial of Curt Connors storyline, but I think he might have appeared there in sort of Protective Custody/House Arrest mode to help heroes out with Transformation Related Science Stories.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Happy Hippo posted:

Nah, man. Last I checked (admittedly, it's been a minute) Spidey can lift around 10 tons on a good day and Ben can lift around like 80 tons

Spider-Man is a "4" while Ben is a "6".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bessantj posted:

So a bit like in BvS where Batman was smacking Supes around then the effect of the kryptonite wore off and Bats was doing no damage?

Yeah, that's about right.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Spidey's a Super Medium-Weight, according to himself

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

Spider-Man is a "4" while Ben is a "6".

You would think being an intergalactic pilot would put you a bit higher on the intelligence scale.

Also Spidey's speed seems really low.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

You would think being an intergalactic pilot would put you a bit higher on the intelligence scale.

Good news! The card set had cards defining the power levels!

A 2 in intelligence is "Normal (possessing an Intelligence Quotient that is approximately average)" while a 3 is "Above Average (possessing a higher than average IQ)" so I'd say that's about right.

As far as speed, 3 is defined as "Superhuman (peak range: 111-115 miles per hour)" while 4 is "Subsonic (peak range: 250-500 miles per hour)". It also defines this specifically as running or flying speed, so honestly, superhuman even seems like it would be high.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Good news! The card set had cards defining the power levels!

A 2 in intelligence is "Normal (possessing an Intelligence Quotient that is approximately average)" while a 3 is "Above Average (possessing a higher than average IQ)" so I'd say that's about right.

As far as speed, 3 is defined as "Superhuman (peak range: 111-115 miles per hour)" while 4 is "Subsonic (peak range: 250-500 miles per hour)". It also defines this specifically as running or flying speed, so honestly, superhuman even seems like it would be high.

Olympic sprinters run about 23 mph for 100 meters so yeah Superhuman is really loving fast.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cubone posted:

Spidey's a Super Medium-Weight, according to himself

According to OHOTMU Spidey can bench 10 tons and Ben can bench about 85 tons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

That's the peak, though. And while he doesn't tend to run or fly, his jumping and moving through the city would be pretty fast even without webs.

He has incredible full-body agility, and endurance, and powerful legs so he has all the ingredients for superhuman sprinting but he's almost never shown as being capable of it. I think the MTV CG-animated series did it once where he was running and even crawling and keeping up with a car speeding down the street.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Hippo posted:

According to OHOTMU Spidey can bench 10 tons and Ben can bench about 85 tons.

Those handbooks have some wild ideas in them.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Madkal posted:

I'm finishing my re-read of Vaughan's run of Runaways. Are the post Vaughan Runaway comics worth checking out?

Go from Vaughan's run to Vision to Rowell's run.

Whedon's arc has a couple of good moments and not much else, Moore demonstrates an astounding lack of understanding of the characters, Immonen got canceled four issues into a six issue arc and her work pretty much went ignored.

I've heard Avengers AI is good, but I haven't read it and all you really need to know for Runaways is that Victor has a Doombot friend now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I randomly stumbled on a Runaways issue where Ms. America, a gay (?) reality-jumping girl, was chasing Evil Alex Wilder and I thought I had missed quite a lot of poo poo since Civil War.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FilthyImp posted:

Ms. America, a gay (?) reality-jumping girl

Just America. Or Ms. Chavez.

Also: super gay.

Edit: guess she does go by Miss America sometimes (according to Wikipedia). I've never seen her do that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She was Miss America in her first appearance.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Things Stamina and Durability seem super low. I thought being able to take a beating was his whole thing in the Hulk match ups. Hulk had more strength, but Ben was tougher.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FilthyImp posted:

I randomly stumbled on a Runaways issue where Ms. America, a gay (?) reality-jumping girl, was chasing Evil Alex Wilder and I thought I had missed quite a lot of poo poo since Civil War.
That's just regular Alex.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Things Stamina and Durability seem super low. I thought being able to take a beating was his whole thing in the Hulk match ups. Hulk had more strength, but Ben was tougher.

The classic issue with the intergalactic boxer was very much that: Ben might not be the strongest, but he'll endure pretty much just anything.

Even before that, in the Kirby and Lee days, that was Ben's thing. An unbreakable spirit (and some self hate) more than stamina.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Also that sequence in Secret Wars 2 where he has to run the gauntlet of super villains, and gets beat down by Juggernaut.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Did Thor just become Galactus' herald in the most recent Cates book? Or did it happen earlier?

It looks like herald Thor is coming to fortnite, which is kind of bizarre because it's been such a short run , and from what I've seen in the Marvel thread people seem to not like it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fritzler posted:

Did Thor just become Galactus' herald in the most recent Cates book? Or did it happen earlier?

It looks like herald Thor is coming to fortnite, which is kind of bizarre because it's been such a short run , and from what I've seen in the Marvel thread people seem to not like it.

It's from the first issue of Cates run. And it's okay, but it is no where near as good as the Aaron run. Which was knocking it out of the park when it was 6 issues in.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Spidey is showing that he may not know his universe well enough if he's got Tony in a tier with Hulk and Thor. A tier that is above Black Bolt. And I'm thinking he only passively knows of Ghost Rider for that matter.