Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Cessna posted:

Would buying a Necron Codex (to use for the stuff in Indomitus plus potential add-ons) be dumb? Is a new one due out soon?

Yes and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Would buying a Necron Codex (to use for the stuff in Indomitus plus potential add-ons) be dumb? Is a new one due out soon?

The new one is out in October, just wait until then. If you're going to play games in the mean time, all the rules you need are in battlescribe

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

moths posted:

I mean they are, in the same way the 8e codexes are. But will that last beyond October when the new Marines book hits?

They said the important stuff will be in the codexes. So its probably everything youd care about anyway. Like name generators.

(In all seriousness youd probably just be buying it for the fluff in the long term)

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Somberbrero posted:

Yes and yes.

Kitchner posted:

The new one is out in October, just wait until then. If you're going to play games in the mean time, all the rules you need are in battlescribe

Thanks. I'm going to give my son the 'Crons, and if he wants to make them into a full army I want to support him.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

SpaceViking posted:

They're probably counting Faith and Fury as their equivalent 8th supplement.

They're getting new base rules in the Marine codex at least, and they previewed a subtle change that allows them to reroll advance rolls in addition to charges plays very well into the Faith and Fury strat that lets them advance and charge.

Still, even Crimson Fists get more than Templars and at least get to share good stuff from the Fists supplement. Throw me a fuckin bone GW there are for sure more Templar players than Crimson Fist players after all these years of being supported. I'm mostly expecting I have to wait until they have a new templars character model (primaris EC or whatever) to package along with a supplement dex to combine that models / rules release cycle tendency.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Do we have any stats on normal tac/assault/devastator marines? I'm kind of wondering if all small marines are going to be veterans from here on out.

They'll get two wounds and longer range bolters. Presumably scouts are the only marines staying at 1. Not sure what that'll mean for Black Templars.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One would assume they too get 2 wounds and all those goodies on the virtue of them being marines. :v:
I mean the bigger question is what the other xenos armies get.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

Cooked Auto posted:

One would assume they too get 2 wounds and all those goodies on the virtue of them being marines. :v:

Purged.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I wonder if Custodes will get 4 wounds.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Gunder posted:

I wonder if Custodes will get 4 wounds.

or Grey Knight Paladins.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

GoLambo posted:

They're getting new base rules in the Marine codex at least, and they previewed a subtle change that allows them to reroll advance rolls in addition to charges plays very well into the Faith and Fury strat that lets them advance and charge.

Still, even Crimson Fists get more than Templars and at least get to share good stuff from the Fists supplement. Throw me a fuckin bone GW there are for sure more Templar players than Crimson Fist players after all these years of being supported. I'm mostly expecting I have to wait until they have a new templars character model (primaris EC or whatever) to package along with a supplement dex to combine that models / rules release cycle tendency.

I'm a Templars guy and have been pretty happy since Faith and Fury came out. Sure, it's not as much content as the other Chapters got, but they got some crazy good litanies, relics and strategies. They are also benefiting more than the shooty chapters by the changes in 9th and the new Indomitus units.

I'm with you though on the models though - I need a Primaris Emperor's Champion or Grimaldus in the worst way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

A slightly bigger army for a few months

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just double everyone's wounds. Give knights 50 wounds each, why not

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Werix posted:

Man, that is all super great news for my favorite dusty bois. Two wound rubrics with two damage warpfire bolters AND 12" on their warp flamers are nice. Also leads me to believe those 3 wounds on terminators will come to scarab occult too

However, now that more weapons have 2 damage, that makes All is Dust rule less effective unless that gets changed in a future codex.

Wouldn’t it just be the chain cannon that’s in line for D2? We’ve seen storm bolsters are still 1 damage.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I don't think GW wants to support the Black Templars anymore because of optics. Maltese cross and dudes in black armor. The faction does seem to attract some bad elements, the Deus Vult types. Not accusing or pointing fingers but I do see why they would like them to go away.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They were the 3e posterboys and are the embodiment of space knights. They're not going anywhere.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Just double everyone's wounds. Give knights 50 wounds each, why not

I wonder if the theory is increase space marine wounds, increase heavy and special weapon damage, and then it's a bit more granular between a Guardsmen or a T'au Fire Warrior and a Space Marine but you can still blast apart space marines with special weapons.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Paddyo posted:

I'm with you though on the models though - I need a Primaris Emperor's Champion or Grimaldus in the worst way.

Primaris Emperor's Champion Conversion

Grimaldus should be easy enough with either Primaris Chaplain model and a BT upgrade sprue.

Or maybe you want the official datasheets. I'd rather see a new Primaris Marshal ala Captain Lazarus. Make him a marine of color to upset the chuds.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

There's an article to go with that amazing picture, but it's not great, including because it amplifies that idiot. https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...pVfWsOjrMr0zHHI

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Maneck posted:

There's an article to go with that amazing picture, but it's not great, including because it amplifies that idiot. https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...pVfWsOjrMr0zHHI

Why the gently caress would you ever let that human slime mold say that he’s “apolitical” and not immediately follow up with his on record fascist apologia? What the gently caress, I mean don’t include him but if you have to mention a notable bad actor don’t let them dictate how you frame them.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

They do mention the leaks from his discord, and his use of racist, facist etc terms.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Mortifiers to get even more hilarious

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are blood claws getting two wounds :eyepop:

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Yeah but I read the leaks and I think they softened it. Like they talk about his hateful comments about sami people but they don’t mention his genocidal rhetoric that was part of the same exchange.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

akulanization posted:

Why the gently caress would you ever let that human slime mold say that he’s “apolitical” and not immediately follow up with his on record fascist apologia? What the gently caress, I mean don’t include him but if you have to mention a notable bad actor don’t let them dictate how you frame them.

They literally say they pointed this out to him and he says that only extreme tankies would get offended at his "jokes".

Honestly, they shouldn't have even mentioned him in the article, just stop giving these racist fucks any air time.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Primaris Emperor's Champion Conversion

Grimaldus should be easy enough with either Primaris Chaplain model and a BT upgrade sprue.

Or maybe you want the official datasheets. I'd rather see a new Primaris Marshal ala Captain Lazarus. Make him a marine of color to upset the chuds.

Yeah, I made my own too. He still can't ride in the Repulsor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Those purity seals are good as hell, drat

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Oski posted:

Purged.

I'll just pop my orks back into the garage.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the extra wound feels more like GW finally getting the memo that a 3+ save in 40k is nowhere near as effective as a 3+ save in the previous editions or even AoS to denote an "elite" unit.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Heavy Bolters oneshotting Marines certainly raises their stock price

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I always take a unit of 5 heavy bolter long fangs with a pack leader this is great stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Heavy Bolters are just visually and thematically rad as gently caress. I say this before my Eldar get mowed down :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tangy yet delightful posted:

Heavy Bolters are just visually and thematically rad as gently caress. I say this before my Eldar get mowed down :v:

Yeah I only take them because they're awesome. I always wished they had a boost so this rules (pending wound changes across the board I guess).

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Is there a cool guy discord for getting list advice, or if someone that plays Ultramarines I can DM? I hit up the goonhammer articles, but still feel like idk what I'm doing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Alokgen posted:

Is there a cool guy discord for getting list advice, or if someone that plays Ultramarines I can DM? I hit up the goonhammer articles, but still feel like idk what I'm doing.

I mean you can always post questions here and people will do their best to help. What are you struggling with?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Paddyo posted:

Yeah, I made my own too. He still can't ride in the Repulsor.

Goddamn those purity seals indeed.

I'm still kind of hoping against hope that with this marines getting 2 wounds thing that GW will finally loving relent on the primaris vs regular marines in transports distinction and just let them all ride, with gravis and termies being 2 models per etc. I just want to put primaris in land raiders, and dont want to run non primaris infantry for a variety of reasons. It's free money GW, just do it.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

GoLambo posted:

Goddamn those purity seals indeed.

I'm still kind of hoping against hope that with this marines getting 2 wounds thing that GW will finally loving relent on the primaris vs regular marines in transports distinction and just let them all ride, with gravis and termies being 2 models per etc. I just want to put primaris in land raiders, and dont want to run non primaris infantry for a variety of reasons. It's free money GW, just do it.

No it's the opposite of that because if you can put your Primaris infantry in rhinos or land raiders then fewer people will feel compelled to buy the new hover versions.

If your opponent is a reasonable human you could talk about adding the relevant keywords to transports for open or narrative play.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Kitchner posted:

I mean you can always post questions here and people will do their best to help. What are you struggling with?

I've been out of the game since 5th, so my sense of how the game is played and what is considered good is all outta wack. I don't know how to judge when and where I'd rather use intercessors, or infiltrators, or incursors (the coolest looking ones) and how those decision impact other aspects of list building.

From what I've gather online, ultramarines for example, general favor shooty lists that can disengage from melee. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this usually means intercessors, aggressors, and inceptors, all of which are using some variation of bolters. When do I know I'm being too redundant and once you build a solid core, how do you branch off an all-comers list?

So far I've come up with this for 1000 points that I can hopefully build off of;
+ HQ +
Primaris Chaplain: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Litany of Hate, March for Macragge, Stratagem: Master of Sanctity

Primaris Lieutenant (Indomitus): Warlord

+ Troops +
Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifle
4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +
Aggressor Squad: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Fast Attack +
Inceptor Squad: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

Inceptor Squad: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

++ Total: [48 PL, 5CP, 1,000pts] ++

It seems fine enough to me, but I get wildly different advice about adding firstborn marines (not gonna happen), terminators(also not gonna happen), assault intercessors - why them over normal intercessors, or infiltrates?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

No it's the opposite of that because if you can put your Primaris infantry in rhinos or land raiders then fewer people will feel compelled to buy the new hover versions.

If your opponent is a reasonable human you could talk about adding the relevant keywords to transports for open or narrative play.

I feel like that was relevant for 8th and I can only hold it against them so much, but if they're getting around beefing up oldmarines they can sell new/returning players like me that don't have a previous edition backlog on some older well loved models. They're certainly not going to take my advice, but I do think it's at least possible they've considered this. If only just land raiders which can hold terminators anyway, I would be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

GoLambo posted:

I feel like that was relevant for 8th and I can only hold it against them so much, but if they're getting around beefing up oldmarines they can sell new/returning players like me that don't have a previous edition backlog on some older well loved models. They're certainly not going to take my advice, but I do think it's at least possible they've considered this. If only just land raiders which can hold terminators anyway, I would be happy.

As a player getting into the hobby I can say that I had no plans to ever buy a Rhino, or Razorback, and basically no interest in regular marines. I’m much more likely to buy some if they aren’t completely segregated.