Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I started listening to The Joshi Pod, a podcast about interviewing Joshi wrestlers and other women who have had extensive careers in Japan. Maki Itoh did a full interview in English, it's the most okayist wrestling podcast I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I listen to The Rudos Podcast. It’s very good

I'm going to start! he's a very good poster and I expect the same from the pod op.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Shard posted:

Listen to any good poads lately?

It's not a wrestling podcast, but Kingdom Smarts is a fun one. It's a megafan explaining kingdom hearts to someone who hasn't played a second of the games. It's fun because of how invested he gets in it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Senerio posted:

It's not a wrestling podcast, but Kingdom Smarts is a fun one. It's a megafan explaining kingdom hearts to someone who hasn't played a second of the games. It's fun because of how invested he gets in it.
I played the first two and my brain would probably explode trying to make sense of the story

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

collocation posted:

Strike Force? I'm 15. What is this?

An 80s WWF tag team of Rick Martel and Tito Santana who eventually split when Rick turned heel. Anytime they met in the years after in a Royal Rumble they'd go straight at each other and it was great.

As for ThROH The Years, I think it's mostly pretty great, hosts have a good rapport, Trevor does good research for each episode, if you want to watch old ROH from the start it's an excellent accompaniment

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

forkboy84 posted:

An 80s WWF tag team of Rick Martel and Tito Santana who eventually split when Rick turned heel. Anytime they met in the years after in a Royal Rumble they'd go straight at each other and it was great.

As for ThROH The Years, I think it's mostly pretty great, hosts have a good rapport, Trevor does good research for each episode, if you want to watch old ROH from the start it's an excellent accompaniment

they have the greatest theme song in wrestling history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNr3144GDI

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'm going to start! he's a very good poster and I expect the same from the pod op.

I hope you join Rudo nation, amigo. We drop audio episodes every Thursday night and video episodes on Friday morning.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

they have the greatest theme song in wrestling history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bNr3144GDI

I'll always stan The Fabulous Rougeaus ALL American Boys but yeah, that is also great

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I'll always stan The Fabulous Rougeaus ALL American Boys

Hell yes. Between that and the Demolition theme you could almost always get a bop out of an 80's tag match. You might even get to hear the sweet dulcet tones of Nikolai Volkoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtove0HzccA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

At WWF house shows in the 80s and 90s, they'd always be playing wrestlers' themes/WWF wrestling albums prior to the show.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What the gently caress happened to the beautiful thread

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Davros1 posted:

At WWF house shows in the 80s and 90s, they'd always be playing wrestlers' themes/WWF wrestling albums prior to the show.

yeah, i remember going to a show in the mid-90s and hearing razor's theme over the PA, which was funny cause he had left not long before

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There was basically nothing on earth more intoxicating than hearing Jake's theme blaring over the speakers of Maple Leaf Gardens. At least until I discovered intoxicants.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

flashy_mcflash posted:

There was basically nothing on earth more intoxicating than hearing Jake's theme blaring over the speakers of Maple Leaf Gardens. At least until I discovered intoxicants.

As a kid there was no greater high than the Ultimate Warrior's music hitting and him coming tearing rear end down the aisle to gently caress somebody up in 10 seconds and then zoom his rear end back up the aisle again.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
All I knew as a kid was when the glass broke someone was about to get their asses WHOOPED

(on Raw and SmackDown, and when my grandma found out I broke a glass)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Malcolm Excellent posted:

All I knew as a kid was when the glass broke someone was about to get their asses WHOOPED

(on Raw and SmackDown, and when my grandma found out I broke a glass)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvlgG_RWA_w

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I've heard this clip a dozen times and I still did a spit take when hearing Steen say "I was seventeen"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he was 20

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RealFoxy posted:

I've heard this clip a dozen times and I still did a spit take when hearing Steen say "I was seventeen"

I'd never seen it before and I had the same reaction as the interviewer

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The B&V combined rant on commercial breaks and show pacing had me grinning ear to ear. Especially Vinny's shock at Bryan's analogy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, that was great. "Bryan, that was the perfect analogy :aaa:"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i will never forgive vinny for getting the rules of the clock in the nfl wrong :colbert:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

i will never forgive vinny for getting the rules of the clock in the nfl wrong :colbert:

I think it was just him choosing to not "well actually" Bryan when that detail didn't matter.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Dango Bango posted:

I think it was just him choosing to not "well actually" Bryan when that detail didn't matter.

Maybe someday Dave will manage to do this too...

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Smackdown sure loves piss. I wonder if there's a podcast that enjoys talking about such a topic. A Pisscast if you will.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

New Rudocast is out! We talk NJPW Six Man Tag Titles, Summer Struggle in Jingu Stadium, the KOPW Tournament, and look ahead to the G1. Plus AEW Dynamite!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ll61AelK-I

Audio:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-rudos-podcast/id1468336480

https://open.spotify.com/show/2SqoJSz5Ans40LZIfwFrIg?si=AyQkpWCoSR6cVEY-ypXvhg

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hardlaser-audio/rudos-podcast?refid=stpr

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9ydWRvc3BvZGNhc3QubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

on a new episode of Mature Listeners, we talk about AEW for an hour before getting around to the actual topic of our conversation, Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I listened to it earlier and I can’t believe you guys spend like 20 mins discussing potential gimmicks for the KOPW fourway when the gimmick is actually just the fact that it’s a fourway lol

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

I listened to it earlier and I can’t believe you guys spend like 20 mins discussing potential gimmicks for the KOPW fourway when the gimmick is actually just the fact that it’s a fourway lol

Hahaha Gedo's on some weird poo poo right now so you never know!!!

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
I’m 33 minutes in to the Lance/Dave pod and it’s good stuff

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

WH Park really went off about Kenny Omega being such a drat dork and really used a couple of curses about hating him as NJPW champ on a recent POST wrestling podcast. Not having listened to WH Park, it just seems like a lot of hate for no reason.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
I’m finally listening to the WOR with Missy Hyatt and Jesus Christ! “Women just need to learn how to say no.” They did, Missy!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

HPJoker posted:

I’m 33 minutes in to the Lance/Dave pod and it’s good stuff

Yeah, this was an interesting and reasonable perspective to be coming from regarding inter-gender wrestling. There were a couple moments of Dave saying things in a weird way that he'll probably get poo poo for but Lance's response was very well thought out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really liked Lance's bit about how promotions that run their own schools AND shows can create an unintentional (or intentional, sadly) grooming system that absolutely needs to be avoided at all costs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I really liked Lance's bit about how promotions that run their own schools AND shows can create an unintentional (or intentional, sadly) grooming system that absolutely needs to be avoided at all costs.

This makes a good point but at the same time a lot of people get their experience on shows run by their trainers at a time when what they need the most is ring-time. With the very adhoc way wrestling is there's not really much of a reason to run shows full of green trainees unless you're also getting paid to train them. And even if you had a system with say schools unattached to promotions but the nature of the business means that trainers would still be the ones recommending their trainees to shows where they can get ring time which I'd assume could be just as exploited because you're still relying on keeping in with your coach to get gigs. I don't really know the answer here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

This makes a good point but at the same time a lot of people get their experience on shows run by their trainers at a time when what they need the most is ring-time. With the very adhoc way wrestling is there's not really much of a reason to run shows full of green trainees unless you're also getting paid to train them. And even if you had a system with say schools unattached to promotions but the nature of the business means that trainers would still be the ones recommending their trainees to shows where they can get ring time which I'd assume could be just as exploited because you're still relying on keeping in with your coach to get gigs. I don't really know the answer here.

The answer is a union, honestly. If a wrestler could go to a union rep when a promoter starts being sketchy, that promoter then gets leaned on and told 'stop this poo poo or no more union talent', it'd take care of a lot.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Oh my god lance on WOR referring to his dick and balls as his boys and his gimmick is the greatest thing I have ever heard

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

The answer is a union, honestly.

Universally :hai:

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

The answer is always a union. Well, aside from with the police.

I liked some of it. Some of it seemed a little too hypothetical for me. I hope that they do one with a younger woman who supports the concept.

I'd write up my thoughts, but Hobbes, who is one of the best parts of the F4W community wrote a giant rear end post about it that addressed all of my issues and then some:

I don't think that every time a topic is discussed you need to have a representative of that topic. That said, Lance Storm saying on Twitter that intergender should be abolished, getting pushback (including from some female wrestlers), saying "I'm not going to talk about this here anymore" and then doing an hour-long show where he gets to say the same thing but longer and not get challenged on a single point? Not the greatest look. If you're a listener who wanted to hear Lance expand on what he's already said, this was a great show. If you wanted less of a soapbox and more of a back and forth that included contrasting opinions, this wasn't it.

Next, I've seen Dave say on Twitter that people who are complaining about a lack of female voices in this discussion or on this site in general need to look at his previous two guests. You indeed have recently talked to Missy Hyatt and April Hunter and that's great. You also fairly recently did an episode with female fans and your son's girlfriend, and that's also great! But to just say "Uh, our last two guests were women" is like a 400 pound man who has been on a diet for two weeks saying "How can you say I eat bad when I've had salad for my last three meals?". You're obscuring the big picture in favor of recent history.

But I know the response to this will be "Listen to the show, criticize what was actually said". So I did and I will!

Pretty much all of Lance's criticisms of intergender matches are valid. Women can feel pressured into them when they don't want to do them (As can men), the size disparity can result in injuries, some people don't feel comfortable watching a man hit a woman in any context ever, etc. The first half of my problem is this: a lot of the arguments Lance can make about intergender can be made to other aspects of wrestling, and hardly anyone, including Lance, is calling for those aspects of wrestling to be completely abolished. Size disparities don't only exist in intergender. Where's the outcry for when Marko Stunt wrestles a big man? Were people calling for ECW to be shut down when Mike Awesome tossed around Spike Dudley? Should Adam Cole ever be allowed to wrestle Braun Strowman? Should Rey Mysterio ever have been allowed to wrestle any heavyweight ever?

Likewise, while I am sure women and men have been pressured into doing intergender matches they didn't want to do, do you think that's the only time in wrestling where wrestlers were pressured to do things they weren't comfortable with? Wrestlers, at every level, feel pressure, both direct and indirect, to wrestle opponents they'd prefer to avoid, take spots they aren't comfortable taking, and do things to achieve cosmetic looks that they don't really want to do. Hell, WWE had Jon Moxley use his friend's cancer to try to get heel heat. We know for a fact he wasn't comfortable doing it, but did it the first time anyway. Why? Pressure.

And that brings me to the other half of the problem. Lance Storm's original quote, the one that started this all, was "I see some discussion on inter gender wrestling matches again. In light of #SpeakingOut I think these matches have to stop." He doesn't want to try to fix problems within it. He wants it eliminated completely. I laughed when Garrett and Lance talked about people criticizing Lance's statement as a "band-aid" solution. Lance's solution isn't a band-aid, a band-aid is a small fix that you apply directly to the problem. A band-aid is a patch on a cut on your arm. Lance doesn't want to put a band-aid on the cut, his solution is to sever the entire arm. That's not a band-aid solution, that's an amputation solution. If we continue Lance's line of amputation logic, since we know some co-ed wrestling schools have had problems with abuse, Lance should've never trained women in his school, even though by all accounts he was extremely professional and never had a complaint.

What bugs me about that Lance quote is that there are women, including some prominent ones, that like intergender wrestling. There are men who like it too, and there have been successful intergender matches where no one was hurt, fans were entertained, and no one felt taken advantage of. It can be done well. But because it goes wrong for some, because some are pressured into it, Lance thinks the best course of action isn't to attempt to fix the problems, but just eliminate it for everyone. Again, with that logic, we could do away with a lot of things in wrestling. There are a lot of things Dave/Lance/etc admit can be problematic in wrestling, but they don't call for their complete ban. Dave occasionally will talk about ladder matches or head and neck bumps being too dangerous, but he never calls for a complete ban on those things. Hell, wrestling in general has a lot of horror stories and pitfalls, I'm not seeing Lance call for all pro wrestling to stop. And I think the difference is, Lance/Dave/etc have a stake in the game when it comes to wrestling, to exciting but dangerous matches and bumps, etc. They like those things, so they want the problems with them to be fixed rather than the whole thing being eliminated. With intergender, while I by no means think they dislike it in general, they certainly don't have a passion for it (And believe it or not, neither do I), so the idea of getting rid of it rather than fixing the problem seems like a fine trade.

But the problems for women in wrestling are larger than intergender. Lance had a great point about women feeling pressured to have size 0 bikini model figures, a body type that makes wrestling more dangerous. That's going to continue to happen without intergender. Dave had a great point when he pointed out that women in wrestling are pressured to do not just matches they're not comfortable with, but angles and valet duties they're not comfortable with. That's going to continue to happen without intergender. Wrestlers, women and men, will still feel pressured to do spots they don't want to do, wrestle opponents they don't want to work, and take part in angles they don't want to act in, no matter if intergender exists or not. Because the problem at the root of all of this isn't even gender, it's power dynamics. It's people in positions of power taking advantage of people underneath them, and that will always happen no matter if it's star wrestler vs. rookie, promoter vs. wrestler, or trainer vs. student. The best thing people can do to stop it is to create an environment where people that are wronged feel like they can say it without being punished, and that those doing the abuse face repercussions for that behavior. That means taking victim's stories seriously and that means not supporting wrestlers and promotions that take advantage of people. The problem will never completely go away, but it can be lessened.

Another one of the things that bugged me the most about this show and that tweet was Lance tying it so closely to the Speaking Out movement. In that movement there were definitely horror stories about intergender wrestling, stuff like Joey Ryan boob grab spots. But the vast majority of Speaking Out accusations didn't have anything to do with intergender wrestling, they were stories of sexual assault that happened before or after shows, they were trainers taking advantage of students. Wrestlers taking advantage of fans. At best "Intergender can sometimes go bad" was like a distant fifth on the list of problems Speaking Out raised, so I don't know how Lance's takeaway from all of those non-intergender horror stories, the solution on the tip of his tongue, is "Jordynne Grace shouldn't wrestle men anymore" and not "Women should be made to feel like they can complain when they're taken advantage of without being ignored, yelled at or having opportunities taken away from them". Lance at one point mentioned "Cancel culture" and said that male wrestlers need to be careful because one accidental boob or crotch grab could get them canceled. I am going to ask a serious question here: Has there been a single prominent wrestler that has lost their job because of an accidental boob or crotch grab? Yes, as you guys brought up on the podcast, wrestlers have gotten poo poo from people on Twitter about it, but people get mad on Twitter about everything. Have people actually lost their job from it? Because I can't think of one. Joey Ryan grabbed wrestlers by the breasts in matches and pressured them into grabbing his dick and he wasn't "canceled" for that. In fact, he was allowed to make a career out of it. He was only "canceled" when a dozen plus women accused him of sexual assault.

I also think Lance was a little naive when he suggested that if intergender was stopped, all the indies would book more women's matches. The biggest indie in the US, PWG, had Candice Larae, she worked exclusively as an intergender wrestler there. When she left, PWG didn't rush to start booking a woman's match on every show to fill that hole. No, they never booked women again.

Some women and men hate intergender wrestling, they don't feel comfortable doing it. They should never be forced or pressured into doing it. But there are women and men who enjoy it, who do it safely and professionally. Why should they be punished? While the gap has never been smaller in my lifetime, women's wrestling in the US is still not on par with men's in terms of the opportunities talent gets, how high you can rise in many promotions, and quality and quantity of opponents. For some women, intergender is a chance to get higher profile matches, more talented opponents and more spotlight than they would otherwise. Rather than close that door for the women that want to do it, how about we just try to fix the problems for the women who don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Trevor Dame is the only worthwhile poster on that human wasteland of a forum and he needs to post stuff like that someplace where it'll actually get read.

Also someone sent me the "cancel culture"/accidental boob grab clip and it's every bit as bad as it sounded when summarized here and elsewhere. It's very "...but what about all of the INNOCENT MEN who will be FALSELY ACCUSED by SPITEFUL HARLOTS?!?!?" vibe to it.