Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Astroman posted:

Now I want to read a version of that episode starring the TOS cast.

It was called "Arena"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Including times that haven't even occurred yet. Gives you something to look forward to.

You're shopping for a new house and recognize the bathroom from a prophet-vision of you somehow trapping your balls under the toilet seat as you sat down. Do you see if its possible to cause a paradox and miss out on your dream house? Do you sit down carefully for the rest of your life because this could be the time? Do you cram them in there and jump on the seat to try and get it over with, hoping that they really showed you all the times you sat on your balls?

Months later your wife catches you in the garage holding a hammer and placing your balls on the workbench. "A man chooses, a slave obeys..."

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
My favorite episode from TNG (actually from all of Trek) is Season 2 and rarely brought up: "A Matter of Honor"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sarcastr0 posted:

My favorite episode from TNG (actually from all of Trek) is Season 2 and rarely brought up: "A Matter of Honor"
Really? I think it's OK but it's kind of middle of the road for me.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Really? I think it's OK but it's kind of middle of the road for me.

I like Riker trying all the Klingon food
I like Riker figuring out how to Speice Viking
I like Worf being like ' do...you know what you're in for, sir?'
I like the 'Gagh is best eaten live' Riker going big or going home
I like Riker's flirting getting the Klingons on board with Riker being awesome
I like Mordok being a great guy but culturally not integrating into the crew in lots of ways.
I like the weird subatomic space disease that's cured by a tunneling neutron beam, as one does
I like Riker tricking the captain with his Macguffin.
And I like the conclusion about knowing when not to duck.

I like my Trek light in tone and multicultural. And like many I'm a big Riker fan.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sarcastr0 posted:

I like Riker trying all the Klingon food
I like Riker figuring out how to Speice Viking
I like Worf being like ' do...you know what you're in for, sir?'
I like the 'Gagh is best eaten live' Riker going big or going home
I like Riker's flirting getting the Klingons on board with Riker being awesome
I like Mordok being a great guy but culturally not integrating into the crew in lots of ways.
I like the weird subatomic space disease that's cured by a tunneling neutron beam, as one does
I like Riker tricking the captain with his Macguffin.
And I like the conclusion about knowing when not to duck.

I like my Trek light in tone and multicultural. And like many I'm a big Riker fan.

i should watch that one again

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think by far the best part of s1 TNG was the weird soundtrack.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

oh but seriously I posted:

i should watch that one again

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"Frakes, you're gonna want to skip breakfast today. You will not believe the poo poo they have for you to eat."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
I like the edit where Riker tosses a Klingon into a control panel and then the whole ship loving explodes

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Pfffft naw, I liked that. I mean the scene as a whole is unnecessary in a few ways, and maybe a different arrangement of the theme would've been better. But like, they didn't even use the theme in "All Good Things". C'mon!

It would have been fantastic if all the incidental music and musical cues in the flashback scenes in All Good Things were bombastic TNG style.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lmao at the thought of bringing back Ron Jones just to do season 1 synth scores only for the past portions of AGT.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Now I'm imagining someone getting their hands on all the raw TNG footage and doing an edit with new soundtracks and montages BSG style.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Astroman posted:

It would have been fantastic if all the incidental music and musical cues in the flashback scenes in All Good Things were bombastic TNG style.

Oh god I want this edit so bad.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I've been casually watching some Voyager recently as it's the definition of "background TV", and that Renegade Cut video got me thinking that maybe I'd been too harsh on it. Got to say I'm feeling pretty secure in my opinion of Voyager still.

Anyway, I thought I'd go through the Borg episodes first, and while it's obviously a very common complaint, I was still shocked at how heavily it "nerfs" the Borg, and how quickly. In Scorpion, literally the first episode where they encounter the Borg, something they've built up to over three seasons, there is an amazing lack of tension from the characters over the fact that they are about to face Starfleet's most terrifying enemy. When Janeway suggests an alliance (something that should be an insane idea at first) the rest of the crew are basically fine with it, though Chakotay voices some concerns in private. Compared to, say, the build up to the battle in DS9's Sacrifice of Angels and it's night and day. The cold open of the next time Voyager encounters the Borg is literally them clowning on and blowing up a Borg ship.

That Renegade Cut video argues that this nerfing was inevitable since there was no where else to go with the Borg, and maybe he has a point, in abstract. But there's so much more threat they could have wrung out of the Borg, and instead they immediately go headfirst into the Borg being no big deal.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

That Renegade Cut video argues that this nerfing was inevitable since there was no where else to go with the Borg, and maybe he has a point, in abstract. But there's so much more threat they could have wrung out of the Borg, and instead they immediately go headfirst into the Borg being no big deal.

I agree that it was probably inevitable but you’re right that it didn’t have to be immediately after they meet the Borg. It’s a constant problem with Voyager. You have interesting premises to write with, but they’re challenging to do, so the writers just take the easy way out.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MikeJF posted:

Seriously though make sure you watch the season 2 episodes Measure of a Man and Q-Who.

You'll also want The Emissary because that introduces a character you'll see later.

But for funsies, you'll want Peak Performance and The Royale. And if you can't enjoy Contagion or even Up the Long Ladder then I don't even know what to tell you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nobody should ever watch Up the Long Ladder, it has no redeeming value

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L54GYRcxSM&t=268s

this guy is real fun and you should probably not listen to only the part i linked, but you should definitely listen to at minimum what he does from that point on in that clip.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nobody should ever watch Up the Long Ladder, it has no redeeming value

I like the hot Irish lady and her yelling at her idiot relatives

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Look it’s cool if you have a fetish for that but the episode is still awful

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

V-Men posted:

But for funsies, you'll want Peak Performance and The Royale.

Peak Performance holds up all right as an episode, but The Royale is a lot less fun than it ought to be. The pacing just draaaaags. Aside from a very few memorable moments, it feels like the episode is about 75% padding and filler.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I was watching The Inner Light the other day and something bothered me: They comment about how primitive the probe is, made of ceramics and it uses a fuel propellant. And Picard's program shows their society as just beginning to launch rockets. YET the probe is advanced enough to have some kind of computer aboard that can detect alien ships, keep pace with the Enterprise when it tries to move away, not to mention the mind link technology. Something tells me the simulation was, while touching, not at all an accurate representation of that culture.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mylan posted:

I was watching The Inner Light the other day and something bothered me: They comment about how primitive the probe is, made of ceramics and it uses a fuel propellant. And Picard's program shows their society as just beginning to launch rockets. YET the probe is advanced enough to have some kind of computer aboard that can detect alien ships, keep pace with the Enterprise when it tries to move away, not to mention the mind link technology. Something tells me the simulation was, while touching, not at all an accurate representation of that culture.
Yeah that probe never made a lot of sense considering the alien tech level on Kataan was around our level now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
I actually really like the Kevin Uxbridge episode. Maybe because I'm a man of special conscience

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I actually really like the Kevin Uxbridge episode. Maybe because I'm a man of special conscience

good tea, nice house

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mylan posted:

A possible explanation is that they didn't really care about developing their rocket/space exploration technology until they realized their planet was doomed, and that is why its so primitive compared to their other technologies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hell, maybe they're only just starting with rockets because their planet's too big. If Earth was slightly larger than it is we wouldn't be able to reach orbit without nuclear propulsion.

Or maybe they're just really good at brain beams. Early breakthrough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's an interesting concept that would have been nice to explore more. Planets can very wildly and still be generally in habitable by similar lifeforms to us. They did it a little bit, but they seemed to focus on evolutionary changes rather than how it affected society.

If mars had a functioning magnetic field, it might still have a breathable atmosphere to this day and you only weigh 38% of what you would here. Such a society might never have used hydrocarbons (if they had them) to power flight since the energy requirements wouldn't have been as high. But without all the research into internal combustion, would they have developed chemical propulsion at all like rockets?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Hell, maybe they're only just starting with rockets because their planet's too big. If Earth was slightly larger than it is we wouldn't be able to reach orbit without nuclear propulsion.

Or maybe they're just really good at brain beams. Early breakthrough.

They put all their research points into brain beam technology but neglected the rocketry programs until it was too late :v:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I remember the writer of The Inner Light wrote a webcomic sequel, which was of course called "The Outer Light". I remember it was terrible.

IIRC the Enterprise comes across a ship with Picard's family from the simulation, they say something along the lines of 'of course we're a space faring people, we made that incredibly advanced probe didn't we'. Then the Romulans show up and they trap them in a simulation where the Romulans win and take over the Enterprise, turning the bridge into a strip club for some reason.

Seems to have been scrubbed from the internet though, can't find it anywhere.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Veotax posted:

I remember the writer of The Inner Light wrote a webcomic sequel, which was of course called "The Outer Light". I remember it was terrible.

IIRC the Enterprise comes across a ship with Picard's family from the simulation, they say something along the lines of 'of course we're a space faring people, we made that incredibly advanced probe didn't we'. Then the Romulans show up and they trap them in a simulation where the Romulans win and take over the Enterprise, turning the bridge into a strip club for some reason.

What the fuuuuck?

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Veotax posted:

It’s not been scrubbed that hard - I found it on a Google search for “The Outer Light” “Star Trek”:

http://treksinscifi.com/podcast_notes/?p=2292

(Edit: Okay, that site didn’t have it all, but a quick GIS of the first page turned up https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UWlKL which has the whole thing)

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 14, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'll admit, I didn't try too hard. I think I just Googled "The Outer Light" and the first few sites didn't have it, inducing the site it was originally posted on.

Taking a look at it, yep, still terrible.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Powered Descent posted:

Peak Performance holds up all right as an episode, but The Royale is a lot less fun than it ought to be. The pacing just draaaaags. Aside from a very few memorable moments, it feels like the episode is about 75% padding and filler.

That makes sense since the in-universe novel the simulation is based on is 75 percent padding and filler.

I love when she's all "what haven't you ever seen a lady before" and Riker is all "I've got something for this oh yeah. I thought I had."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
I thought I had is a hell of a pick up line

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-cq8GRt18E

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Veotax posted:

I'll admit, I didn't try too hard. I think I just Googled "The Outer Light" and the first few sites didn't have it, inducing the site it was originally posted on.

Taking a look at it, yep, still terrible.

Yeeeeaah..... I can see why you didn’t look too hard for it, that’s pretty rough!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Wait who was talking poo poo about this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Insane Totoro posted:

Wait who was talking poo poo about this one?

Yeah I thought The Survivors was one of the universally agreed upon Good Ones.