Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'M CUTTING OFF GOD'S HEAD WITH A CHAINSAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

I'M CUTTING OFF GOD'S HEAD WITH A CHAINSAW
But see, IIRC, Final Fantasy Legend's God is explicitly the Demiurge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Spinning off the killing God convo, what's the most humorous/crazy way to kill God in an RPG?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Indivisible you attack and change the mind of God, who explicitly can make and unmake the world, and I think is the closest I can get to "fight in combat the no fooling maker of all reality".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can own Myrkul pretty hard in NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, but he was already dead so maybe that doesn't count

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
gods in the forgotten realms (aka NWNs) are just high level clerics really so it doesn't count

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

multijoe posted:

Star Ocean 3 :v:

This is actually probably the most clear cut case of the party in a JRPG attacking and dethroning god that I can think of.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shin Megami Tensei DDS Im pretty sure the God you fight at the end is the maker of all reality God, but again, all your fighting does is change their mind, not dethrone them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

Shin Megami Tensei DDS Im pretty sure the God you fight at the end is the maker of all reality God, but again, all your fighting does is change their mind, not dethrone them.

You never fight the actual creator in SMT games (the Great Will) but you do fight their avatars, some of which fall from their favor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah just to be clear to those not aware:

Demiurge Style is usually a powerful entity, that would be like a god, but did not create the universe and isn't really omnipotent.

For the record this is almost exactly wrong. In platonic thought the demiurge is the creator god of the world we inhabit but he's still subordinate to the supreme creator, it's imperfection is why everything is merely a representation of the perfect platonic form. Gnostics use the same term for their creator and depending on the sect it can be a sort of antagonistic entity that is lashing out at it's imperfection or a more neutral one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah like in Star Ocean 3 you kill what I would consider a classic Demiurge, a being which makes its own creation but that creation it views as lesser than the reality it inhabits.

CYBEReris posted:

You never fight the actual creator in SMT games (the Great Will) but you do fight their avatars, some of which fall from their favor.

Its been absolute ages since I played it but I thought within context of DDS it was presented as the only God. It doesn't really matter, obviously, I just don't remember a reference to anything else.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Yeah you kinda just convince The Brahman to chill the gently caress out by uh..spamming Agidyne at it I guess.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Gaius Marius posted:

For the record this is almost exactly wrong. In platonic thought the demiurge is the creator god of the world we inhabit but he's still subordinate to the supreme creator, it's imperfection is why everything is merely a representation of the perfect platonic form. Gnostics use the same term for their creator and depending on the sect it can be a sort of antagonistic entity that is lashing out at it's imperfection or a more neutral one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah you kinda just convince The Brahman to chill the gently caress out by uh..spamming Agidyne at it I guess.

Yeah technically it's name is Brahman One...though through the whole game characters just refer to it as God.

Also watching a cutscene of it now, forgot that the music was pretty badass and fighting a boss that stretched out from infinity (sort of...from the sun technically because that's its physical manifestation in this world???) was pretty cool.

Edit: drat, five turns in a row (plus more if it happens to strike weaknesses).

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 14, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Spinning off the killing God convo, what's the most humorous/crazy way to kill God in an RPG?
Chainsaw murder instant kill.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Persona 5 you fight god as the final boss. The whole SMT/Persona series about mythological beings and deities of different cultures.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

P5 is another Demiurge, I think yaldaboth is actually a name for it in older Christian sects

Blowing out gods dome with a sick headshot is a pretty good one though

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Don't you fight actual capital-G, YHWH, so YHWH that they play a record scratch instead of actually saying it every time his name comes up in the voice acting, God in IV-A?

I cannot actually remember what his actual deal was other than gently caress humanity because between the actual plot and the final battle I spent like forever grinding a mothman to level 99. Because I like mothman.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"attack and dethrone god"

How many of these games involve specifically killing God? I know SMT for like, the SNES, involves killing Yahweh(YWVH) but most of the other "gods" come off in the demiurge-style diety

FFL1 lets you kill God by sawing them in half and I think the final boss of FFL3 is an eldritch horror that was growing inside of God? Or was Sol just

Commander Keene posted:

Neither Myria/Tyr nor Deathevn are creator deities like the Judeo-Christian God, despite the church in BoF2 definitely being an analogy for the Christian Church. They're more the Demiurge style that TheDiceMustRoll mentions. In 3, Myria mentions a time before she was worshiped which created the Desert of Death and was responsible for the low human population on that continent, and Deathevn is some sort of offspring/remnant of Myria after she's beaten in 1. And the Endless in 4 are more Shinto style animistic deities rather than fire-and-brimstone Jehovah analogues.

BoF3's endgame story reveals make Myria/Tyr exceptional dumb and Yggdrasil is far more of a god than her.

Deathevan is something like a manifestation of a memory or dream Myria had that becomes aware and starts building power through the fake church? I forget exactly because as bad as the endgame story of BoF3 is, BoF2's story is pretty stupid in general which is probably why it ended up being used to make the ill-fated BoF6 (IIRC).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Leraika posted:

Don't you fight actual capital-G, YHWH, so YHWH that they play a record scratch instead of actually saying it every time his name comes up in the voice acting, God in IV-A?

I cannot actually remember what his actual deal was other than gently caress humanity because between the actual plot and the final battle I spent like forever grinding a mothman to level 99. Because I like mothman.

Yes. In one version of the fight you even get to deny the beatitudes, which are something the average christian would probably actually recognize. If that doesn't count as killing capital G God then I don't think any game does it.

Although in terms of plot you basically just fight him because some dude in a wheelchair told you to do it, there's not much in-universe justification.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Leraika posted:

Yes, but sort of not really. He's the real-deal Judeo-Christian God but he is not the creator god that Judeo-Christians would believe him to be, only one aspect of it with a shaky relationship with the true creator.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Snake Maze posted:

Yes. In one version of the fight you even get to deny the beatitudes, which are something the average christian would probably actually recognize. If that doesn't count as killing capital G God then I don't think any game does it.

Although in terms of plot you basically just fight him because some dude in a wheelchair told you to do it, there's not much in-universe justification.

look at this person who needs a reason to attack and dethrone god

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CYBEReris posted:

Yes, but sort of not really. He's the real-deal Judeo-Christian God but he is not the creator god that Judeo-Christians would believe him to be, only one aspect of it with a shaky relationship with the true creator.

So what would the real deal God be refered to as? Just God or would it be like the Creator or something?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what would the real deal God be refered to as? Just God or would it be like the Creator or something?

It's called the Great Will, and YHVH and Kagutsuchi among others are aspects of it

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

In SMT4, YHWH created this universe but He did not create all the universes. At the end of the game, when you beat him, you can sit on the Creator's Throne and make your own.

Edit: ^^^^^ see above

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trick question, if you can kill/dethrone it, it was just a demiurge, not the real real "G"od!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Commander Keene posted:

But see, IIRC, Final Fantasy Legend's God is explicitly the Demiurge.

i thought he was a gameshow host, or possibly an anubis-type judge deity because Saruin's brother, Death, lives in the room behind him, in hell

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

i thought he was a gameshow host, or possibly an anubis-type judge deity because Saruin's brother, Death, lives in the room behind him, in hell
I don't remember anything like your spoiler describes occurring in FFL1. :confused:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Awkward Rush and Mission Savers

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In Devil Survivor 2 you Attack and Dethrone the "Administrator" who has the power to delete and rewrite worlds at will. And presumably created the world that humans currently live in. So in that sense they're God, but in another sense they're simply a part of a pre-existing multiverse system.

You do literally dethrone them though: one of the routes involves setting someone else up with Administrator privileges.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In 7th Dragon VFD you become God who's supposed to destroy the universe and start a new one but then you kill yourself to stop yourself from doing that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah technically it's name is Brahman One...though through the whole game characters just refer to it as God.

Nah, it's just Brahman (of the God race), the One/Two etc is just to signify which set of faces/prayer wheels you're up to.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, it's just Brahman (of the God race), the One/Two etc is just to signify which set of faces/prayer wheels you're up to.

Oh, duh whoops

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I started another Cold Steel 3 challenge run today. Nightmare difficulty, No Brave Orders. It has been fun and very difficult so far. I might have to not use evade tanks as well, they're very good but not very interesting in the late game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im debating playing Experience Inc's latest game by holding up my phones google translate app to the screen, this is surely not going to be an insanely stupid use of my money

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think there are some programs you can use to hook into a game and have it automatically machine translate stuff. I've only heard about them in the context of playing VNs, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

have you seen machine translations

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I've played Bamco games

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thats why I never play games that would be machine translated like the Tales series. 😎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The game is only out on Xbox One right now, so machine injection seems far off.

I don't even know why I want it so bad, I didn't even finish stranger if sword city because it hit a "oh you want a teleporter within 3 dungeons if your objective? Too bad!"