Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Ralph Crammed In posted:

On episiotomy chat right after I had my baby and they were stitching me up I was sort of flinching, as you would when you're getting your genitals sown back together, and the (male) doctor said something like "the more you jump the harder it is on me" and I apologized and I felt bad about making it hard on him and even then I was mad about how much society socializes women to be polite and yielding to requests. I mean, I get his point, but he was a condescending dick about it. Of course he was Dutch and the Dutch sort are condescending dicks by nature, but still if you've decided to specialize in birth procedures you could work on your bedside manner a bit.

If he'd have put enough topical anesthesia on your bits, you wouldn't know what was going on and wouldn't flinch, he did it to himself :colbert:

when I was getting my IUD repealed and replaced, the old copper one had gotten a bit embedded and there was a nice moist ripping noise when the gyno tore it out, in clinic, nothing given for pain. Made my top 5 most painful things list, and I've broken my shoulder blade in half in a motorcycle wreck and had an ER doc unknowingly burst an ovarian cyst via palpation

Male gynos are either solid gold or assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Kids can be great if you want them but you really got to be in the right headspace to deal with them. Bullshit is going to happen and you just have to accept it.

On episiotomy chat right after I had my baby and they were stitching me up I was sort of flinching, as you would when you're getting your genitals sown back together, and the (male) doctor said something like "the more you jump the harder it is on me" and I apologized and I felt bad about making it hard on him and even then I was mad about how much society socializes women to be polite and yielding to requests. I mean, I get his point, but he was a condescending dick about it. Of course he was Dutch and the Dutch sort are condescending dicks by nature, but still if you've decided to specialize in birth procedures you could work on your bedside manner a bit.

Dude, gently caress that guy. The only thing I really felt was the jab of local they gave me to stitch up my tearing. They gave me enough local, I couldn't even tell when i peed afterward. Stories like this is why I avoided all the male doctors in the area and went with female CNMs instead.

Speaking of, can't wait for my appointment to change birth control and hopefully end these obnoxious 2 week periods!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Strumpie posted:

i honestly can't think of anything gayer.

also is it 2003 and guys are calling each other 'gay' again? i haven't heard anyone say that in a long time.

This is central Florida we're talking about.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i don't think i've heard anyone mention using an implant (Nexplanon?) for birth control yet. i knew someone who used to use it and switched to a NuvaRing® that they much preferred.

a lot of you have mentioned IUDs which seem very invasive compared to something simple you can do yourself like a NuvaRing®.
how do feel about different methods of birth control? what is more important to you, the choice between how it regulates hormones or efficacy or longevity etc?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I have tried:

Condoms (meh)
Birth control pills, 4 different kinds (hated all)
Depo-Provera (MVPPPPP but it'll kill you or melt your bones or something)
IUD Mirena 1: fine
IUD LILETTA: not fine, hormone levels too low and uncomfortable
IUD MIRENA 2: great so far
WITCHCRAFT: probably not effective but I still don't have kids so it didn't hurt
BEING UNABLE TO HAVE KIDS ANYWAYS AFTER TWO MISCARRIAGES AND AN ABORTION: well dang!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Btw I wasn't complaining

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
it seems deeply hosed up to me that (at least in the US) you are almost certainly getting sedated for something like a colonoscopy, but when it comes to uterus-related procedures it's like "IUD placement? okay here's a tylenol, let's crack that cervix open"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tjadeth posted:

it seems deeply hosed up to me that (at least in the US) you are almost certainly getting sedated for something like a colonoscopy, but when it comes to uterus-related procedures it's like "IUD placement? okay here's a tylenol, let's crack that cervix open"

Nobody gives a poo poo about medical problems that only affect women.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've been on Nexplanon since like 2007 and it's the best thing on earth for me. If they ever discontinue it I will probably make terroristic threats to the manufacturer

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Tjadeth posted:

I tried to get an IUD TWICE! After the second time where they used a sonogram to try to help placement and I screamed bloody murder...I was told I have a crooked cervix.

Cool.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about medical problems that only affect women.

Surely you realize this "The Woman" needs not for pain relief.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
But now I have received a splinter in my manly finger and need to life-flighted on top of a giant pile of vicoden.

Stat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I mean we have multiple people saying yeah leave your wife/gf the gently caress alone for several days a month because she turns into a crazy person, dating women clearly also sucks

It ain't easy, once and ex and I were making some eggs and she cracked an egg and a piece of shell fell into the yolk in the skillet. I was the most simple fix in the world but she sat down on the kitchen floor in front of the stove and just started to cry heavily. I tried comforting her and asked "What's wrong? I got the shell out, it's okay!" and she just told me "I DON'T KNOW."

I've never been so confused in my loving life.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I am menstruating at the moment, let us all rejoice. :toot: I like this thread so I'm going to make as many posts as possible & reply to as many people as possible, and there's nothing you can do about it.

xcheopis posted:

Cats are the best! Far better than babies. :)

And cats are actually cute :)

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

raise your hand if you know about pinkwashing and you don't care as much as you should because you really love pink so you're usually like "oh ok bonus"

What on earth is pinkwashing?

xcheopis posted:

And why would gay men be buying tampons?

Maybe if they're trans?

Who What Now posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone wear white pants in my entire 32 years on this earth so I can't imagine that it's all that great a sacrifice

I'm 33, and I haven't seen anyone wearing white pants outside of those commercials for medication for retirement-aged people.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh I had a pair. I didn't like them much but grandma hated them so I woud wear them to her weird church that was founded by Sylvia Browne to annoy her. My spiteful feelings and annoyance at being forced to go to a church run by a psychic could not win over my embarassment at the thought of having a huge period stain there.

Sylvia Browne was a ghoulish charlatan, and I'm glad she's dead.

Spinz posted:

I never had kids and have never regretted that decision for a single solitary second.

Best thing I ever did.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Kids can be great if you want them

When I was young enough that people felt comfortable trying to browbeat me into wanting children, I would tell them (truthfully): "My mom wanted me 100%, was happy to have me, and has always been loving & supportive, and even if I wanted a child even 99.9% instead of 100%, I wouldn't have one."

Of course, I wanted a child 0%, but they didn't have to know.

Gravitee posted:

After my second birth, the doctor was stitching me up and complimented me on the generous blood flow I had in the region. And I'm like thanks? I think?

Weirdest compliment in my life.

I got complimented on my cervix once, but I don't remember exactly how.

Tjadeth posted:

I have heard so many horror stories about IUDs. And I don't know the ins & outs of colonoscopies but the fact that people are sedated before they have them made me think that they basically shove a fire hose up there.

edit:

sigher posted:

It ain't easy, once and ex and I were making some eggs and she cracked an egg and a piece of shell fell into the yolk in the skillet. I was the most simple fix in the world but she sat down on the kitchen floor in front of the stove and just started to cry heavily. I tried comforting her and asked "What's wrong? I got the shell out, it's okay!" and she just told me "I DON'T KNOW."

I've never been so confused in my loving life.

This is how I react to everything during summer. Thank gently caress I don't have PMS or period mood swings.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I've been on the pill for a year or so and it made me feel like absolute poo poo mentally and I was on the Minerva IUD twice for years and it was better but I still felt kinda bad mentally. Physically though I was fine. I didn't have any major discomfort getting it in or out each time. We use condoms at the moment because I don't want to jeopardize my mental health while caring for a toddler and we haven't decided either way if we are going to have another or not.

I feel real strongly about letting other women know their mental health can be effected by birth control. It's not something that is addressed when you go the doctor, at least it wasn't for me. A friend of mine was asking me about my experience with the IUD and I told her while it's great for birth control, she could also run a risk of having some mental health issues. It's a hormonal and chemical change to your body and God only knows how an individual will react to it. For me it was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back. My family predisposed to it and I have a fair amount of environmental stressors (lol who doesn't though) and when I stopped taking birth control I felt a lot better.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Yeah the pill can mess you up mentally and/or physically. IUD is great but it beats up the penis as well, or maybe that's intentional and good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My friend has a tipped uterus and every time she goes in for a smear test she tells them and every time they try jabbing her painfully before finally admitting maybe she's correct about her own anatomy.

Also my sister had vicious endometriosis for years and years, and only got diagnosed when it started interfering with her ability to get pregnant. Before that it was just 'it's normal, lots of woman have pain'.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Yeah the pill can mess you up mentally and/or physically. IUD is great but it beats up the penis as well, or maybe that's intentional and good.

My husband said he could feel the string but never that it uncomfortable.

I once read that ancient Egyptians would use a halved lemon as a cervixal cap and of all the old timey birth control methods I've ever read, like animal dung and lead and date juice, that one sounds the best. Gee honey, your vagina smells terrific!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I feel like a freak since everyone I know in real life and online don't get periods with a Mirena but I still do. They are lighter periods than before but the cramps and getting 10ish cm cysts twice is not quite thr trade off I was hoping for. It's supposed to come out next year and I'll probably go to the NuvaRing then since the pill made my anxiety way worse. I took the pill AND had a Mirena for a bit during my cystventure and that loving suuuuucked.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Just gave this thread a :five: consider voting for us, this thread. I wonder how many of us there are.

Anyway, you ladies are so awesome and this thread, your presence in GBS, is a nice surprise in a tough time :kiss:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't want an IUD lol I'm not willing to put up with a gyno's temper tantrums regarding it. I took birth control for ten years but the final year consisted of having periods that lasted 3 weeks with only 5 days of no bleeding, no making GBS threads, no vomiting, etc so I finally got off them and have been bc free for three years.

I thought I would get a personality transplant because mah hormooooones but I've been told I am exactly the same. Now I just have one day per month where I vomit nonstop.

So when I go to the rape doctor, what kind of birth control should I go for? I'm sick of pills and I don't want an IUD

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

HIJK posted:

I took birth control for ten years but the final year consisted of having periods that lasted 3 weeks with only 5 days of no bleeding, no making GBS threads, no vomiting, etc so I finally got off them and have been bc free for three years.

Heeeeeyyyyy what kind of BC were you on?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I think I preferred NuvaRing over the pill, but it was constantly shifting and needing to be readjusted.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dazerbeams posted:

I think I preferred NuvaRing over the pill, but it was constantly shifting and needing to be readjusted.

I think I'll skip that thanks tho

YeahTubaMike posted:

Heeeeeyyyyy what kind of BC were you on?

I was on Yaz which worked fine for 9 years but then it just stopped being effective, my blood flow got really heavy and kept turning brown. It was so heavy on Yaz that I was starting to smell and had to change my pad every other hour and it was always soaked through so I started carrying extra underwear as well. My doctor put me on a "light" birthcontrol that I don't remember the name of and I started bleeding for weeks.

There are stronger birth control pills like tricycline but while this did completely eliminate my period thank God, it did give me severe migraines.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
count me as another one who knew they didnt want kids from a young age. i still have a writing exercise from 4th grade when i said i didnt want kids. i adore my nieces and nephews, and love hanging out with them, but then they can go home.

i took bc for a while in high school (after the earlier mentioned month long period) but once things regulated, i went off and havent needed anything since. things are going wacky again, so i'll probably have to ask at my next appt.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Skratte posted:

I'm sure they will and do (not readily), but I'm also quite sure I can't afford it here in the land of the free. Also I haven't ever bothered to go to a doctor about any of my gender stuff and I'm quite sure you need like letters from a different doctor or something before they'll do it? I'm still in baby makin' years so I imagine any doctor is going to give me the ol' "ARE YOU SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE WHAT DOES YOUR HUSBAND THINK" dance

My SIL had really bad endo and they still made her jump through a million loving hoops to get a hysterectomy. She's doing way better now though!

i just assumed the whole im a man now thing would get you out of the song and dance. i had to do that poo poo to get a vasectomy.

My sisters uterues was full of tiny tumors and weighed about 20lbs. it took her 3 yrs to convince a dr something was wrong and get the surgery. the thing that finally did it was her uterus was like you know what? im done im leaving your body through the vaginal canal.

Tjadeth posted:

jesus i had no ideas they were just jamming that poo poo up there with out sedation. that is super hosed since i imagine they use a very similar sized tube but instead of a camera its your iud at the top.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have heard so many horror stories about IUDs. And I don't know the ins & outs of colonoscopies but the fact that people are sedated before they have them made me think that they basically shove a fire hose up there.

they dont sedate them everywhere but its painful enough that some drs just dont bother and have everyone they are doing that day get sedated. and the tube is smaller in width then your pinky its just if they start removing polyps and stuff it can hurt alot more. also if you didnt do your prep correctly and they have to clean you out then they are basically sticking a dental pick up your rear end to spray water everywhere.

personally i prefer my dr that sedates everyone as im usually getting a polyp or two removed and im alittle bitch when it comes to pain.

snergle fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 15, 2020

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Metaline posted:

I use the Clue app and I can share my cycle with others if they download the app as well. It’s super helpful!

Thanks I'll check it out!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's really petty but the Clue app recently put in an obnoxious purple 'try our premium version' banner and it drives me batshit when I'm in the mood to be driven batshit by tiny things, which is to say, any time I might be looking at a period app.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

HIJK posted:

I don't want an IUD lol I'm not willing to put up with a gyno's temper tantrums regarding it. I took birth control for ten years but the final year consisted of having periods that lasted 3 weeks with only 5 days of no bleeding, no making GBS threads, no vomiting, etc so I finally got off them and have been bc free for three years.

I thought I would get a personality transplant because mah hormooooones but I've been told I am exactly the same. Now I just have one day per month where I vomit nonstop.

So when I go to the rape doctor, what kind of birth control should I go for? I'm sick of pills and I don't want an IUD

I'm thinking about asking for the arm implant (implanon?) then getting Mirena if that doesn't work out.

I too am sick of pills. I like that my current mini pill gives like no side effects...except long periods with short breaks. Before that (microgestrin and lo loestrin), they always tanked my sex drive. I figure a radical change is in order :shrug:

Edit: what temper tantrum are you referring to from the doc?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
You ever have such bad cramps while bleeding that you go pee and suddenly you have to puke and you puke on your blood and pee a bit before you can flush?

I call that Satan's strawberry lemonade

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Nexplanon made me the most depressed I've ever been in my life. It was suggested as an option for me when I was looking for something to help with unwanted hair from PCOS (it didn't help). I only even realised it was the implant's fault once I'd had it long enough that it started to wear out and stop working. I did go from totally unpredictable to regular periods though and that was convenient if nothing else. My libido completely died and still hasn't really recovered, I half wonder if they leave that side effect in on purpose, like if you're not making babies you don't get to enjoy sex at all.

Right now I think my gross lumpy pcos ovaries are arguing over who is in charge of eggs, I'm pretty sure I'm having a period every 2 weeks, or maybe every 3 and I can feel it alternates from side to side. Unexpectedly stained my pants even though I have a face full of pimples, sore tits and mood swings, I guess I was in denial or something even with all the signs there. I even shat water earlier this week and that really should have clued me in.

I'm going to look into the nuvaring I think oh wait not recommended for people with gall bladder disease? But why? What if I already had mine out?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Waterbed Wendy posted:

You ever have such bad cramps while bleeding that you go pee and suddenly you have to puke and you puke on your blood and pee a bit before you can flush?

excellent name for this :golfclap:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The real pro move is to have a small bathroom so you can sit on the toilet blasting period shits while bent over the tub blasting period voms

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Have you ever vommed so hard it splashes the water back up on you? It's the fuckin worst

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I hate how talking about periods (or heaven forbid, even saying the word "menstruation") is seen as some taboo and women must pretend this regular experience for a good part of their lives doesn't exist.

For one thing, it makes it hard for girls to learn things (well, it's probably easier now with widespread internet access) about birth control options or even just how to use a loving tampon.

Ireland recently had a kerfuffle where people complained about this ad and got it banned for being too offensive:

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1289197265454632961

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

When I was 7, my mother informed me what a period was. I looked at her and said with utmost certainty,

"I'm never going to do that."

Now I'm 30 and posting from the bathtub where I live for a week each month in order to cope with cramps.

(Also, I tried Nexplanon since I have vaginismus which makes IUDs and tampons a no go, and all it did was make me spot forever. Getting to watch the doctor dig it out of my arm with a pair of forceps was pretty cool.)

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Enfys posted:

For one thing, it makes it hard for girls to learn things (well, it's probably easier now with widespread internet access) about birth control options or even just how to use a loving tampon.

I'm a natural nerd for learning so I would read books and magazines about sex at the library- not check them out cause my very conservative mother would have had a conniption- and from that I managed to piece together human sexuality. Sex Ed at my public school, which was in a pretty liberal state, was basically useless because the only thing it bothered to tell us about what AIDS and that you'd get AIDS from sex and that you'd then die of it or you'd get herpes and your genitals would be destroyed. They also said that boys would get wet dreams but they didn't say what wet dreams were so I just thought that boys pissed themselves at night all the time. They said nothing about female sexuality though, so when I figured out how to :shlick: I had no idea what was happening.

But because adults made such a big deal about sex I knew there had to be more to it than just the opportunity to get AIDS, so I did a bunch of covert sex research between the ages of 12 and 14. This researched turned out to be quite useful because I ended up knowing enough about reproduction and birth control that I only got pregnant when I wanted to. Also, for sucks sake, no one ever explained to me what semen even was. I had to do independent research to figure that out. Imagine having sex with your boyfriend and that happens and you don't even know what semen is!?!?!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
my experience with sexual education is in a different universe to all the stories i hear. i don't know if it's the country i grew up in, the school i went to or an issue with all the other places, but i got taught everything simply and clearly by my headmaster (who was also my biology teacher :eng101:). is there anyone else out there who got effective and helpful sex education and thought it was normal? i feel so alone.

although i will say when it came to explaining periods only the girls got that lesson and the boys had to sit out which led to confusion for a while until the information filtered down to us. it might be wise to teach about periods with the boys and girls in separate groups but not teaching them at all was a big mistake imo.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Strumpie posted:

my experience with sexual education is in a different universe to all the stories i hear. i don't know if it's the country i grew up in, the school i went to or an issue with all the other places, but i got taught everything simply and clearly by my headmaster (who was also my biology teacher :eng101:). is there anyone else out there who got effective and helpful sex education and thought it was normal? i feel so alone.

although i will say when it came to explaining periods only the girls got that lesson and the boys had to sit out which led to confusion for a while until the information filtered down to us. it might be wise to teach about periods with the boys and girls in separate groups but not teaching them at all was a big mistake imo.

We had two years of puberty lessons at school. They'd separate boys and girls and teach each about puberty and what was happening. I don't know if they talked about periods with boys though. IIRC it was pretty gender specific.

But my podunk public school was able to at least teach us what a period is and pads vs tampons.

This was separate from sex Ed that came later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I started having periods so late I was legitimately afraid that I would never get them or had something sincerely wrong with my body. Which there is, but not that. I think i was 17 or something? Late enough that I had had time at that point to find out enough information from other people so that it wasn't that difficult to hop on board.