Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Lou Takki posted:

I preinstalled FS2020 with the xbox installer on my PC and it claims it needs something like 150 gigs but it finished downloading with only a couple dozen gigs downloaded. Anyone else see the same thing?

I did it and it downloaded about 20 mb. Will check when I get home from work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lou Takki posted:

I preinstalled FS2020 with the xbox installer on my PC and it claims it needs something like 150 gigs but it finished downloading with only a couple dozen gigs downloaded. Anyone else see the same thing?

I can't answer this specific case, but sometimes space requirements include allowances for future content updates.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

I can't answer this specific case, but sometimes space requirements include allowances for future content updates.

Microsoft just assumes every player will install 120 GB worth of My Little Pony liveries from the workshop.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Zibo all the default aircraft please

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

I have zero expectations for the default planes in MSFS. If some of them are fun, it's a plus, but I'm not expecting study level stuff. That will be 3rd party payware.

As long as the default planes entertain long enough for the 3rd party market to catch up.

I'm not expecting study-level stuff either. I'd just like functional planes. Like I said, the GA craft seem great, but if the airliners require constant manual overriding of controls, isn't that kind of busted?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Lou Takki posted:

A couple dozen gigs? My preinstall was about 12 mbs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The biggest thing that seems to be lacking in the stock planes is a fighter jet style aircraft. Having a plane like this out of the gate would be great not just for the weapons obviously, but so the player can fly something with a good combination of speed and maneuverability. Seems like all the planes available right now only really excel at one or the other.

Am I wrong about this though? Is there a plane in the roster right now that can bank on a dime and that can also go crazy fast?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The game itself is small, but on first start, it downloads all its own assets from the Microsoft servers, and that's around 150GB (for premium?).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

The biggest thing that seems to be lacking in the stock planes is a fighter jet style aircraft. Having a plane like this out of the gate would be great not just for the weapons obviously, but so the player can fly something with a good combination of speed and maneuverability. Seems like all the planes available right now only really excel at one or the other.

Am I wrong about this though? Is there a plane in the roster right now that can bank on a dime and that can also go crazy fast?

Well, it's a civilian flight simulator. Microsoft has never done that kind of aircraft in the MSFS series, and they don't seem to have any interest in adding them in the future. It'll be up to third parties, and I have seen at least one announcement for a third party military jet on fselite. But don't expect super accurate modeling of those since the game hasn't been built for it, and definitely don't expect functional weapons.

The closest thing to that actually in the game are the aerobatic prop planes like the Extra.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, it's a civilian flight simulator. Microsoft has never done that kind of aircraft in the MSFS series, and they don't seem to have any interest in adding them in the future. It'll be up to third parties, and I have seen at least one announcement for a third party military jet on fselite. But don't expect super accurate modeling of those since the game hasn't been built for it, and definitely don't expect functional weapons.

The closest thing to that actually in the game are the aerobatic prop planes like the Extra.

Yeah I hear you. It's not that I'm specifically looking for a literal military fighter jet or anything. I just want to fly something that will let me sort of casually explore the game's world while feeling just real enough to make it seem like I'm controlling an physical machine instead of a massless floating camera. A fighter jet is the closest thing I can really think of to that.

I'm sure there will be a ton of mod planes that will do something like this though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doesn't FSX have an F18?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Doesn't FSX have an F18?

I thought that was third party, but it's been a long time so i may be misremembering. I've been wrong a lot lately it seems, so maybe don't take my word for it. :v:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I thought that was third party, but it's been a long time so i may be misremembering. I've been wrong a lot lately it seems, so maybe don't take my word for it. :v:

FSX Gold Edition added the F/A-18

It was a Blue Angels demonstrator though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

FSX Gold Edition added the F/A-18

It was a Blue Angels demonstrator though

Well I mean a demonstrator is pretty much what GreatGreen was asking for - not weapons, since that'd be too much to add for a single plane, just something that flies like a fighter.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Have they said when helicopters are coming to FS2020? I thought they were in FSX from launch but maybe I just joined that game late and they had been patched in later or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've said probably three-four months? And that unlocking Helicoptering will be their first paid DLC (aside from marketplace planes). I assume that means the rotorcraft sim framework will be locked out to even marketplace or third party or local mods unless you've bought the DLC.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 14, 2020

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

MikeJF posted:

Well I mean a demonstrator is pretty much what GreatGreen was asking for - not weapons, since that'd be too much to add for a single plane, just something that flies like a fighter.

It'd be cool to get a Talon or a Red Hawk in the game. They could even give it a NASA livery if they're worried about having a military aircraft in the game.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
In the USA there are (relatively) lots of civilian L-39s and MiG-15s and 17s, and a smaller number of civilian T-33s, F-86s, Hawks, Gnats, etc. Any of those would be a great little jet to zoom around in.

DCS already has an L-39, MiG-15 and F-86. The developers already have great high-res 3D models and textures, and they can skip the weapons, so it's just a matter of porting over their aerodynamics and system modeling code (both of which are gonna be pretty simple in a subsonic plane with 1950s avionics). Uhghghggghhhh just do it already

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A T-38 would be cool too.

But one of the things they talked about in the video was that picking which aircraft to include had a lot to do with what they had access to in real life. Military aircraft (top of the line modern or retired surplus) are a lot more difficult to get access to than a Cessna or Airbus.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 14, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Alpha Jet pls

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Zero One posted:

But one of the things they talked about in the video was that picking which aircraft to include had a lot to do with what they had access to in real life.

I kind of figured as much when I saw that the plane list had a bunch of Diamonds (Austria) and several little French planes that nobody's ever heard of and no Pipers.

(Cessna 152 and 172 were built under license in France so they would have access to a bunch of)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

MikeJF posted:

And that unlocking Helicoptering will be their first paid DLC (aside from marketplace planes). I assume that means the rotorcraft sim framework will be locked out to even marketplace or third party or local mods unless you've bought the DLC.

They mentioned this on the Q&A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4fVwsEdaw&t=2335s and said buying their DLC is not required to access that part of the sim platform.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

I kind of figured as much when I saw that the plane list had a bunch of Diamonds (Austria) and several little French planes that nobody's ever heard of and no Pipers.

(Cessna 152 and 172 were built under license in France so they would have access to a bunch of)

The number of Rotax powered airplanes is the clear sign of a European developer.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Planes powered by Rotaxes are more interesting and novel than yet another Lycoming powered boomer chariot.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I'm pretty sure the devs could get their hands on a Piper if they wanted, there's an absolute poo poo ton of them and probably a fair few in France. They're not just confined to the US or Canada. I've seen a bunch flying overhead in the UK over the years.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

A couple dozen gigs? My preinstall was about 12 mbs.

Yeah, looks like mine was about 2GB for the pre-load.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zero One posted:

In the QA they also mentioned they contacted every airline about adding their livery. They said some airlines responded and some have other priorities right now but they want to add a lot in the future.

If you look at the Hangars at SeaTac Alaska Airlines is called Otiisko Airlines and Delta is A Duta. I can't show screenshots for obvious reasons but they left the "Airlines" half of the Alaska logo in the same font. It's also an older version of the logo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Forums Terrorist posted:

Planes powered by Rotaxes are more interesting and novel than yet another Lycoming powered boomer chariot.

...Unless you want more than 140hp.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Just slap a Bristol Centaurus into everything

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sellouts posted:

Welcome to PMDG country. Every airplane will be improved upon by a third party, so unless the scenery is much improved the base game + $60 towards a great 3rd party plane might be where I end up.

I wanted SFO, so I'm in for the Premium package; my own drat fault for living in SF. So I agree with that general line of thinking.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 15, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm in for the Deluxe edition, mostly for the steam gauge 172 and the Baron but the other three planes appeal to me too.

Premium Deluxe seems a lot less appealing though even at the lowest marginal cost so I'm thinking of saving the $30. Is there anything cool those 5 planes do that the rest of the stock roster don't?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FBS posted:

I'm in for the Deluxe edition, mostly for the steam gauge 172 and the Baron but the other three planes appeal to me too.

Premium Deluxe seems a lot less appealing though even at the lowest marginal cost so I'm thinking of saving the $30. Is there anything cool those 5 planes do that the rest of the stock roster don't?

The Shock Ultra is basically a helicopter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Got my Honeycomb Yoke in today, and I'm going to do an interesting little mod to mount it. The mounting plate it comes with is all well and good, but in the end is one more piece of multi-piece tat to drag out and affix when I want to play. Normally you would affix the mounting plate to the table through clamps or the sticky pad on the underside. Then the yoke itself slides on to a round catch in the center of the mounting plate, and the feet on the yoke are tightened to provide a friction fit.

Instead of all that, I'm going to drop a threaded insert into my desk, in the same spot where the round catch on the mounting plate would sit. Then I can quickly thread in a bolt with affixed washer in place of the round catch, and the yoke can mount onto that. So now when I want to play I can just quickly pop in the bolt, then remove when done, and my keyboard covers the insert when the yoke's not in use. Completely eliminates the need to keep the mounting plate and clamps hanging about.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
I had never played a flight sim up until about 3 months ago, when I saw the trailers for FS, and decided I needed that in my life.

A HOTAS and a vanilla install of XPlane 11 later, and I can now make a cessna go (some) places and do (some) things.

Being in Melbourne, Australia, and being allowed out of home for only an hour a day at the moment, means that every trailer or youtuber I watch just makes me more eager for tuesday.

Of course probably my internet or system will poo poo the bed the moment it tries to make FS work, but the dream is keeping me going right now!

Reading the last few dozen pages of this thread is making me think I should have started up with the virtual planes and plane talk a long time ago.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Will we be able to buy the deluxe version as an upgrade to the basic one?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I said gently caress it, I preordered the $120 version. So excited to go fly with the angels.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

So FSE works fine with the new sim, and, although the aircraft inventory in the sim is limited (for now), this thing was MADE for FSE. Quick hops into unknown airports are a dream when everything's rendered so well without having to go hunt down scenery.

This thing is going to be real, real, popular.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/skysha

well that was quick

someone already trying to make that sweet flight sim grognard money @ $12.99USD for a program that probably took 5 minutes to make

all it does from my understanding (from reading the article) , is it creates a P2P connection with you and the other pilot, and then whatever moves they make are translated to the sim.

it even says you still need a screen sharing program to actually SEE the cockpit you're controlling, who the gently caress is going to want to control someones cockpit blind?

and if not blind, you're going to resort to something heinous like flying a sim over team viewer? lord help us all

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blue On Blue posted:

https://www.thresholdx.net/news/skysha

well that was quick

someone already trying to make that sweet flight sim grognard money @ $12.99USD for a program that probably took 5 minutes to make

all it does from my understanding (from reading the article) , is it creates a P2P connection with you and the other pilot, and then whatever moves they make are translated to the sim.

it even says you still need a screen sharing program to actually SEE the cockpit you're controlling, who the gently caress is going to want to control someones cockpit blind?

and if not blind, you're going to resort to something heinous like flying a sim over team viewer? lord help us all

There's no way to have a separate co-pilot's viewpoint or your own mouse controls for cockpit interaction, so the range of inputs is super limited, even. It's literally just a program that lets you override your friend's controls, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

There's no way to have a separate co-pilot's viewpoint or your own mouse controls for cockpit interaction, so the range of inputs is super limited, even. It's literally just a program that lets you override your friend's controls, lmao.

how is that possible though, i mean I remember having some sort of rudimentary cockpit sharing in FSX going, but i can't remember if that was stock or some sort of module tbh, it was many many years ago

i sure hope they listen to the shared cockpit types and add something, even if it's basic as gently caress