Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thoatse posted:

Duckchat made the thread stronger we need more duckchat

Down with Beet's dog, the duck for thread president!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

skyelevator posted:

A lot of jobs are going at their Wilmslow office in the UK which isn't far from me. I've been tempted to apply, I don't have any experience or knowledge of the roles (I'm a web dev) but worth a punt eh?

Tell them your core values for developing a webpage is to make highly detailed css and perfectly fit together graphics and you just figure the code behind it will just kind of organically happen because of all your great ideas.

You'll probably start as a lead.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

It always amazes me how Star Citizen's designed are so cluttered and greebly, but at the same time lifeless and bland. Even a few minutes after looking at this ship JPG, I can't even remember any details other than a vague "spikey-cyber-bug-bird-thing" impression.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

That's the only original tune, but they have a full album of songs by other people on the soundtrack, hold up a sec I have the CD here

1) Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)
2) ABBA - Money, Money, Money
3) AC/DC - Moneytalks
4) Mr Money & The Money Makers - Full Burn
5) Steve Miller Band - Take the Money and Run
6) The Flying Lizards - Money
7) Cyndi Lauper - Money Changes Everything
8) Patti Smith - Free Money
9) Pink Floyd - Money
10) Rush - The Big Money
11) The Notorious B.I.G. - Get Money

Missed opportunity for C.R.E.A.M.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

That's the only original tune, but they have a full album of songs by other people on the soundtrack, hold up a sec I have the CD here

1) Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)
2) ABBA - Money, Money, Money
3) AC/DC - Moneytalks
4) Mr Money & The Money Makers - Full Burn
5) Steve Miller Band - Take the Money and Run
6) The Flying Lizards - Money
7) Cyndi Lauper - Money Changes Everything
8) Patti Smith - Free Money
9) Pink Floyd - Money
10) Rush - The Big Money
11) The Notorious B.I.G. - Get Money

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8Dcz3kyOA

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

do whales make up a portion of the funding? sure. same as the $45 peeps who get conned into this like some MLM scheme

but something is deffo off about this whole goddamn thing

I can't tell if they are massaging numbers or getting an influx of cash from other sources, but their be funk up in this motherfucker

I tell you this as a 100% certified german auditor so best believe

I- I believe!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So for all your future hopefuls looking to join the ranks of cig, there's a few very important tops I want to share with you from my 30 years of being CEO of all companies and CTO of the other ones in other countries:

1: You are either an animator

2: Or you are the guy making graphics

I'm going to help you out with #2 here because that number is higher than 1.

Come up with an idea for some ships to sell.

1: The space lizard race. Their ships have scale armor and are long. Extra points for a tail that wiggles as it flies.

2: Space cats. These guys have shops shaped like circles and claws on them. Extra points if you say "like that one thing... you know... the one Larry Niven invented!" With CR in the room.

3: space fish. These guys are easily enslaved, and ask their ships are like fish shapes.

4: Space hermit crabs. Just say like the reapers from mass effect.

5: Space alternate humans. These guys fly flying saucers with big engines on the side. Kind of like that one show some peels know about only totally your original idea.

6: Space robots. All their ships are like computer circuit boards and are all kinds of basic shapes but nothing to spiky

7: Space dogs. These ships are kind of fluffy and love to fetch above their weight, but are super loyal in a fight and their bellies all have to have paw print marks on them to signify their "good boy/girl" ranking.

8: Space cows. These are slow ships and love to sell meats and are traders mostly. They have large udders under them where they hide their power plants and can be easily dispatched

9: Space dragons. These guys are kind of bad, and all their ships look very penetrating. But they come in all kinds of shapes and colors but they do need to be long and bulbous without wings. All are single engine and some pilots boast about "taking them down to the knot".

10: Space Anubis. These guys are like dis except not. All their ships are black with gold greebles. Very sharp and pointy except the cockpit which are rounder looking.

11: Space grasshoppers. These are all green ships and have big single jump engines that need to recharge after a few seconds. They have a very slow top speed, but they move around via this engine jump system that lets them go far distances very quickly between brief recharges.

12: Space cowboys. These guys love the verse and wearing brown jackets. They come built in with their own fan base and all their ships need to be scrappy and multi crew with some kind of weird piece that rotates.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

skyelevator posted:

I reckon it would be funny to have on your CV that you worked at CIG, because every job you went for after that may want to hear what a car crash it was.

If I was doing the hiring, it would absolutely be the reason I would call someone to come in for an interview. I don't know that I would actually hire them, but god, I would want to ask them so many questions.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://twitter.com/BernieToVest/status/1292351857130721285

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I wonder what they’ll break instead if they ever fix this

CHARACTER HAUNTED BY FREELANCER COMPONENTS

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

A jumble of freelancer components appeared in front of me. These seem to include seats, missiles, shield/quantum drive, coolers, and the rear entry ramp. It's hard to tell. These components appear to be visible to all players on the server, not just me. I lost my character model as well. Respawning puts me in a bed surrounded by additional (or similar) freelancer components, particularly the rear ramp. Leaving bed causes me to clip through the floor and die.

EXPECTED RESULT

Missiles are equipped to your freelancer

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 15, 2020

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

skyelevator posted:

Sorry, should have said, I'm a WordPress web dev.

Well in six months when Server Lattice, the successor to Server Meshing, requires porting CryEngine to PHP we'll know who to blame.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

I wonder what they’ll break instead of they ever fix this

If they make the player the ship and somehow the inventories get merged then this makes sense I guess?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

not $2,500, not $25,000, but multiple loving accounts with hundreds of thousands of dollars of "merchandise"

https://pastebin.com/S3Ngh0QB

at least one of those traders has to be Ben, he probably hoarded jpeg futures from the get-go and is now controlling the lions share of used jpegs

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

For some reason this made me think of A Christmas Carol...

“You are fettered," said Scrooge, trembling. "Tell me why?"
"I wear the chain I forged in life," replied the Commando. "I made it pledge by pledge, and stretch goal by stretch goal; I parped it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I spent it.”

:iiasb:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So I finally watched their new show about their latest motion capture and I am sincerely impressed about how much better everything looks when compared to their previous work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

keep the great work coming CIG, in the 5 years since that vid you have come a long way!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

UnknownTarget posted:

If they make the player the ship and somehow the inventories get merged then this makes sense I guess?

At this point I'm amazed bugs like this happen and the game doesn't crash. I've seen this before with incorrect usage of try/catch stuff where devs wrap sections of code, and it just leads to these odd bugs. From a debugging perspective crashes are preferable.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Noahs Ark re-enactment spotted.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Kosumo posted:

So I know alot of people are excited by FS 2020, and I don't mean to be a killjoy but it is worth remembering that FS 2020 does not have a PvP slider - Star Citizen does.

Buy a space bird plane jpeg.

This is the reason why I love this thread.
Just when we all start getting giddy like little schoolkids, there are people in this thread that are grounded and rein us back in.
Thankyou for your service.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well that's all nice and all but can you serve a Hairy Roberts onboard? Checkmate.

Agreed,
if a game doesn't pass the "Hairy Roberts" test, then I stop caring about it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

This is the reason why I love this thread.
Just when we all start getting giddy like little schoolkids, there are people in this thread that are grounded and rein us back in.
Thankyou for your service.

o7

Buy an Idris. or lots of land claims,

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Thoatse posted:

In case anyone is wondering what bnbl is up to these days unmute this gif

https://i.imgur.com/QFoGCMF.gifv

First thing I'm gonna do when this plague is over is head down to the aquarium and see my self some otters.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

First thing I'm gonna do when this plague is over is head down to the aquarium and see my self some otters.

When I was in bali before this mess I met a pet otter and holy poo poo are they adorable and friendly.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

When I was in bali before this mess I met a pet otter and holy poo poo are they adorable and friendly.

I have this DnD idea for a tribe of river dwelling halflings that raise otters and are called otter folk. That reminds me, I need to get to the Traditional games forum and talk about my Lawful good tiefling barbarian.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I feel hollow, like rickrolled inside.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

I think this is probably the best bug I've ever heard of

Just praying the fix is CHARACTER REASSURED BY OVERLY LONG TRAVEL TIMES

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Dr. Honked posted:

Wordpress has a back end, so you're a back end expert. Go get em tiger

I've used a backhoe a few times, does that count?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

XK posted:

I'm really happy that TheAgent is on board with my theory about a Russian conspiracy.

I told all of you years ago.

Cheers derek.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skyelevator posted:

A lot of jobs are going at their Wilmslow office in the UK which isn't far from me. I've been tempted to apply, I don't have any experience or knowledge of the roles (I'm a web dev) but worth a punt eh?

Maybe you can become the new Senior Persistence (aka storing things in a database) Developer? :D

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fwoderwick posted:

This is the straw that broke the :five:'s back. Doesn't matter what CIG ever achieve, this thread is already worth every single money laundered cent.

Also the straw that made me Shazam the audio from this video then pay amazon 99p because it is the only place it exists? ('Lee Montana - War (Never Lost)' if anyone give's a poo poo).

Somehow magically synced with the song I was listening just now, which had me in STITCHES as the otter rocked out to Apoptygma Berzerk.

TheAgent posted:

not $2,500, not $25,000, but multiple loving accounts with hundreds of thousands of dollars of "merchandise"

https://pastebin.com/S3Ngh0QB

Russian organized crime has been in the moneylaundering-via-RMT game since I started playing EVE Online in 2008. Star Citizen is practically custom-made for their needs. I mean. We're basically saying it is, here, right? It is.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 15, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kesper North posted:

Somehow magically synced with the song I was listening just now, which had me in STITCHES as the otter rocked out to Apoptygma Berzerk.

Russian organized crime has been in the moneylaundering-via-RMT game since I started playing EVE Online in 2008. Star Citizen is practically custom-made for their needs. I mean. We're basically saying it is, here, right? It is.

EVE? Pfttt. They had been at it since at least the fg-era of Diablo II.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Still relevant?

https://webmshare.com/play/yjDn8

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

"why did I propose to her...there?"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

What makes the helmet delay?
What is it in the system that makes the "equip helmet" so slow? (can i do something on my side to fix it? )

quote:

@CIG_ChadMcKinney
This is a combination of issues that can happen when the spawn queue is full on the server, usually because of a sudden large influx of spawns because of a streaming event. In our main branch we just introduced parallel spawns which should help this issue, and further down the line we're going to go further and introduce a better prioritization scheme for situations like this where a particular spawn has a short latency requirement.

More fun facts here

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Pixelate posted:

More fun facts here

Another fun fact: Star Citizer is good, buy an Idris !

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This SC fan has over 500 hours in the game.

This is what it's done to him. (Better with sound)

https://v.redd.it/6ydi5zez91h51/DASH_480.mp4

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Pixelate posted:

This SC fan has over 500 hours in the game.

Oh so there's at least 500 hours of gameplay??? Game set and match goonly FUDsters

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Total bullshit. You harvest the honey when all the combs are sealed with a cover of wax. you dont understand beekeeping development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

So I finally watched their new show about their latest motion capture and I am sincerely impressed about how much better everything looks when compared to their previous work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

keep the great work coming CIG, in the 5 years since that vid you have come a long way!

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/1294424650227875840