Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Warren oil is also Supertech / Amazon / Kirkland. They're fine.

Both of my Saturns absolutely HATED Supertech. As in clouds of smoke every time I left a stop, a quart to top off every 1-2 weeks (so 8+ qts by the time the oil change reminder popped). Switch back to Mobil 1 and they'd be back to 1 qt to top off between 9-10k oil changes.

No idea why. It seems to only be the early Saab-based Ecotecs that hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

STR posted:

early Saab-based Ecotecs

No wonder those engines are good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

About that. There were a handful of parts under the hood of my Saturn with Saab logos.

It'd been mutated enough that most Saab parts didn't really work anymore, but it was based on a mid 90s Saab motor. Which, knowing Saab, probably dated back to the 1960s.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 6, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

STR posted:

Step 3: FRAM :argh: filter that doesn't even fit properly, it's a lot bigger. Isn't leaking, so fuckin send it. (THANKS WALMART ELECTRONIC OIL FILTER SELECTOR GUIDE THINGY). I'm surprised it seals, I'll (eventually) get the right filter for it.

On all my years on this planet, I've yet to run across one that actually works. At least they still crank out catalogs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The catalog oil filter for my Pointiac V8 is bigger than the mount for the filter, the thread size and pitch is correct but the filter hangs out over the edge of where it screws in. It is weird but I have tried multiple brands and stores and they all use the same size one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Even AC Delco?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

On all my years on this planet, I've yet to run across one that actually works. At least they still crank out catalogs.

Surprisingly, almost all the ones I've run across work.. though the batteries are usually so weak that the LCD barely functions.

The Walmart I go to doesn't have paper catalogs anymore. :smith:

BigPaddy posted:

The catalog oil filter for my Pointiac V8 is bigger than the mount for the filter, the thread size and pitch is correct but the filter hangs out over the edge of where it screws in. It is weird but I have tried multiple brands and stores and they all use the same size one.

This is only my second time changing the oil on this thing, but the Purolator I had on it before was the correct one. loving tiny little thing though. I'd been wanting to go to the H6 filter just because it's a lot larger. This is roughly in the middle, though seeing it hang over the edge of the oil filter block like that is just a :stare: moment.

I should have recognized good ol' 3593 - the Fram filter everyone says is right when they don't know which one to throw at it. It's been so long since I was that cheap that I'd forgotten... (Walmart was out of anything cheaper that the computer-thingymabob said would work that day).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 6, 2020

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Even AC Delco?

Yep, so either someone put a smaller oil filter adaptor on the thing or it is just 70s GM weirdness.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I looked up the filter application for this filter. It turns out the 3.0 H6 has a wider mating surface on the oil filter block. I wanted to run an H6 filter for the extra filtration media, but never looked up the mount size. And I guess Walmart thinks "welp 3593A fits almost everything, it fits the 2.5 now too!". Turns out good ol' 3593A is indeed the correct filter.. for the 3.0. Sorta. It's Fram's correct version. The real correct version is a bit longer, but just as wide. Same bypass valve pressure. I kind of like the 3.0's filter bypass pressure, it's a lot lower than the 2.5 filter. I'd rather have dirty oil vs a lot less oil flow. As it is now, the oil light flickers off while cranking and it's off by the time the engine kicks (~4 revolutions?), with the old Purolator it would flicker off after a couple of seconds of running. Did that before I changed the oil the first time too, but I'm not sure if dumping Seafoam in the oil cleaned a bunch of poo poo out or not (the oil was loving disgusting, though).

I'm not comfortable with a tiny bit of gasket sealing 40+ PSI. I paid for the whole gasket, I want to use the whole gasket. Just like I paid for the whole tach, I want to use the whole tach! I also have a dead PCV valve from what I can tell. Only ONE loving Advance in Austin has the PCV valve in stock. Gonna carefully make my way over there to get both the correct filter and the PCV valve, and keep a close eye on the oil light.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 6, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

STR posted:

I'm not comfortable with a tiny bit of gasket sealing 40+ PSI. I paid for the whole gasket, I want to use the whole gasket. Just like I paid for the whole tach, I want to use the whole tach! I also have a dead PCV valve from what I can tell. Only ONE loving Advance in Austin has the PCV valve in stock. Gonna carefully make my way over there to get both the correct filter and the PCV valve, and keep a close eye on the oil light.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but good luck and be safe.

Blew me away how fast a bad oil filter install will piss oil. You only have seconds.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you have a shop vac, use it on the oil fill cap and swap the filter without a drop of oil spilling like a boss. I did this trick for folks once and it's a rare opportunity for cool physics to work and make you look cool/like a huge nerd.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

If you have a shop vac, use it on the oil fill cap and swap the filter without a drop of oil spilling like a boss. I did this trick for folks once and it's a rare opportunity for cool physics to work and make you look cool/like a huge nerd.

:catstare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The filter is past the pump, that actually work? I've seen it work for the drain plug but never the filter... I just swap the filter and expect to lose like half a pint plus the filter contents, and top it off after the first start.

I actually used a similar trick to get my shitbox 50ish miles home years ago with a hole torn in the bottom of the gas tank. Except the HVAC controls manifold nipple was my shopvac and I pounded the tear mostly closed with a rock before starting. Had to barely touch the throttle to keep the gas in the tank, but it worked.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Now that I think about it, I think somebody forgot the drain bolt washer and that's why it was done. Filter or the housing might have a valve that could prevent it from working I guess. Try it, for science!:science:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I put a hitch on the van.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I made some great progress on a bunch of small projects today.
1997 F150 - Got stuck in 4WD High, could not get it out no matter what. Ended up pulling the actuator on the transfer case and using some YouTube videos to figure out the 4WD vacuum solenoid was still engaged. Pulled the battery and it cleared the memory (I'm guessing in the GEM). The odd thing was moving the switch did nothing. Hope the GEM/switch aren't cooked. But after 365k, what do you do. Also replaced the column shifter which has been long broken and replaced the turnsignal/wiper switch. We've had a long standing problem with the wipers/lights cutting out depending on the column position. Turns out it was a broken tab holding in a pin. Zip tie fixed it, probably for the rest of this trucks life. I've got new brakes/master cylinder/steering stuff for the next time I have free time.

2001 BMW E46 wagon - replaced the broken radiator level sensor I fried when the tank cracked. Still going strong at 265k. Leaks... a lot of oil still. Someday I'll do the FMS.

1987 Motorhome - We've been helping a family during this awesome situation we're all in and the mom was given this R30 Suburban based motorhome. Big old 454. Was gone through 6 years ago with new tires/brakes/suspension. Ordered plugs, wires, fuel filter, and pump. Has 50k on it, but I swear the plugs and wires were last done in 1988. One was burnt clean off at the boot. It's running 10x better now and we can now help them figure out their next steps.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

the spyder posted:

1997 F150 - Got stuck in 4WD High, could not get it out no matter what. Ended up pulling the actuator on the transfer case and using some YouTube videos to figure out the 4WD vacuum solenoid was still engaged. Pulled the battery and it cleared the memory (I'm guessing in the GEM). The odd thing was moving the switch did nothing. Hope the GEM/switch aren't cooked. But after 365k, what do you do. Also replaced the column shifter which has been long broken and replaced the turnsignal/wiper switch. We've had a long standing problem with the wipers/lights cutting out depending on the column position. Turns out it was a broken tab holding in a pin. Zip tie fixed it, probably for the rest of this trucks life. I've got new brakes/master cylinder/steering stuff for the next time I have free time.

Knock on wood, those two tiny vacuum lines and the transfer motor can be a pain in the rear end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

1997 F150 - Got stuck in 4WD High, could not get it out no matter what. Ended up pulling the actuator on the transfer case and using some YouTube videos to figure out the 4WD vacuum solenoid was still engaged.

Those two loving vacuum solenoids.......I replaced them at least twice a piece in 220k miles on my '97. If it's still on the road I assume they have been replaced again by now. (I bought it new, and it was in the salted north)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Suburban Dad posted:

I used surgical tubing, a bucket, and an air compressor to siphon transmission fluid. Definitely way less messy than using a shop vac, but not as effective as dropping the pan.
You could probably combine the two ideas though; put the shop vac to the lid of the bucket and run the tube from the transmission filler line to the bottom of the bucket, and get better results.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I used surgical tubing, a bucket, and an air compressor to siphon transmission fluid. Definitely way less messy than using a shop vac, but not as effective as dropping the pan.
You could probably combine the two ideas though; put the shop vac to the lid of the bucket and run the tube from the transmission filler line to the bottom of the bucket, and get better results.

The point of the shop vac isn't to pull anything out of the engine. You just want to draw a vacuum, so that when you open the drain plug air rushes in and pushes oil out of the way, keeping it from falling on the floor. You swap your drain plug without having to drain the pan, then remove the shop vac, hopefully having not sucked anything actually into the vac.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah think of it like putting your finger over the top of a straw when it's in your drink and then lifting it out. Doesn't take much vacuum, just enough to overcome atmospheric pressure pushing down on it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thank christ I'm not 16 and no longer horney.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

How many times did you stick your dick in a shop vac?:stare:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

To aid you reaching a number here is a video on counting past infinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrU9YDoXE88

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

They did deny my warranty claim.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

They did deny my warranty claim.

Ew.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

gently caress serpentine belts.

That is all.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

Oh good I'm not the only one.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I spent 3 hours looking for a connector to an unknown computer in the wiring diagram only to find that it's an aftermarket MAF signal translator when I pulled the cover off. I'm dumb.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Darchangel posted:

Aren't they supposed to make it go slower? Better paint them, ummm... blue? Black?
Piston has to move fast to pads which is blackish. Also my disc is black, so it should stop super fast. :pseudo:

STR posted:

About that. There were a handful of parts under the hood of my Saturn with Saab logos.

It'd been mutated enough that most Saab parts didn't really work anymore, but it was based on a mid 90s Saab motor. Which, knowing Saab, probably dated back to the 1960s.
History of the engine goes probably to Triumph slant-four engine(1968).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Old title was kinda feeling stale. :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Lil Richard in a ShopVac sounds like a great band name.

On-topic - I'm about to get in my car and go...somewhere. I'm going stir crazy enough that I miss my 30 minute commute each morning/evening. Halp me I'm broken.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I was able to get out of the house this afternoon and go for a drive and run an errand, it was great.

Then I washed the car after dinner, it was getting pretty filthy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Goober Peas posted:

On-topic - I'm about to get in my car and go...somewhere. I'm going stir crazy enough that I miss my 30 minute commute each morning/evening. Halp me I'm broken.
I've been doing this at least once a week, just getting in the car and going for a drive with no real destination in mind.

In what I did to my ride talk: checked on the locost battery to see if it will live another day. Was discharged down to 3.5v when a storm rolled through and cooked the battery tender. Currently sitting a 9.5v after a week on a new battery tender while hooked up to a second battery. I have a spare battery but it will be a pain in the rear end to replace thanks to how cramped everything is, seeing if I can salvage this one first.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Got in the garage during nap time. Did my flares and brake lines on my new rear end. Positioned them to use the existing brake tee and hose. I’ll pull that bracket off and tack it in the right spot after I get everything under the car.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Just replaced a pair of front struts, top mount/bearings and the lower engine mount on the rover 75. Of course being britain-land, as i'm laying underneath the car it started pissing down and soaked me, my tools, and my haynes book of lies :(

Pretty sure safety critical components are ok to just torque FT. right?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ah Haynes books. That brings back memories.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
tbh i'm glad i went for the paper book, if i was trying to use RAVE to get the torque settings, i'da had a dead latitude too...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Anghammarad posted:

Just replaced a pair of front struts, top mount/bearings and the lower engine mount on the rover 75. Of course being britain-land, as i'm laying underneath the car it started pissing down and soaked me, my tools, and my haynes book of lies :(

Pretty sure safety critical components are ok to just torque FT. right?

The proper torque is “gutentite”. Alternately, tighten until it breaks, then back of 1/4-1/2 turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

The proper torque is “gutentite”. Alternately, tighten until it breaks, then back of 1/4-1/2 turn.

2-3 ugga duggas