Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Switch to Spotify. It's what I did years ago and it's been almost great, no more google music garbage.

Yeah I did this last fall because I didn't want to be on the sinking GPM ship. I like how Google did curated playlists better but Spotify is perfectly ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

What the gently caress, seriously?

Isn't that literally their one big success in the chat space (text or otherwise) that actually made it off the ground?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The new Google strategy has become pretty clear:

• jump into a market
• hope people notice you because the name "Google" carries weight
• do a lovely as gently caress job
• sell user data relentlessly to make a profit
• close down the service once users get mad enough

Should have been obvious that this was the way Google was going to operate since Google+, but we all cut them unwarranted slack because they were "the nerd company."

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 16, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Switch to Spotify. It's what I did years ago and it's been almost great, no more google music garbage.

I switched to Spotify ever since I got a big enough data plan to cover whatever I would listen in the car during my commute. My problem with them has always been that after the selected playlist is over they simply do not know what to do and put same music on rotation. Regardless of what category I choose (Death metal, or Metal Classics, or plain old rock) after whatever is in there is done, they continue with pretty much the same songs. Great songs, but holy hell if I have to listen one more time to Manowar Kings of Metal I'll punch somebody in the face.
I do not know what's better and I do not have the space on my phone to put all my mp3's, but Spotify, to me, is just ugh, I guess I have to because the local radio stations are worse (I love Rush, but after listening to Tom Sawyer for 1 milion times, I really got sick of it).
I used to have the paid plan for Spotify for about a year, but I just gave up. The difference seems to be the commercials and I'll put up with them for $10/month.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Volguus posted:

I switched to Spotify ever since I got a big enough data plan to cover whatever I would listen in the car during my commute. My problem with them has always been that after the selected playlist is over they simply do not know what to do and put same music on rotation. Regardless of what category I choose (Death metal, or Metal Classics, or plain old rock) after whatever is in there is done, they continue with pretty much the same songs.

This setting should fix that:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

This setting should fix that:

That is on, the problem is with what they put. The same thing over and over again. Regardless of what I listen to (it's all in the rock, metal and up) , after that's done they're just, "hey for you we have these 100 songs, we know you like them, so we're just gonna put them for you over and over and over again". And it's just, ugh. Even when I go to the "discover weekly" or something, that's a 20-ish songs playlist with whatever is new around, when that's done, hey, here are those 100 songs we know you like.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Volguus posted:

I used to have the paid plan for Spotify for about a year, but I just gave up. The difference seems to be the commercials and I'll put up with them for $10/month.

It's a lot more than that

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Volguus posted:

That is on, the problem is with what they put. The same thing over and over again. Regardless of what I listen to (it's all in the rock, metal and up) , after that's done they're just, "hey for you we have these 100 songs, we know you like them, so we're just gonna put them for you over and over and over again". And it's just, ugh. Even when I go to the "discover weekly" or something, that's a 20-ish songs playlist with whatever is new around, when that's done, hey, here are those 100 songs we know you like.

I notice this too and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or what. Every time I do a shuffle on a band or song it repeats after not that many songs.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a lot more than that

Sure, but that's irrelevant if they put the same music over and over again. The features that they offer in the premium plan are of no value to me. Ad free is cool, but I put up with it for those $10. Unlimited skips does not interest me, 6 is usually fine. Listen offline ... If I'd had the space I wouldn't be using them now would I? Their entire value is on the streaming part. "Play any track" I have no idea what that is, I thought I can play any track in free mode as well, maybe I was wrong. "High quality audio" ... eh, I only use them in the car. It's fine, as the phone plans in canada are not that good for high quality. Yet.

explosivo posted:

I notice this too and wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or what. Every time I do a shuffle on a band or song it repeats after not that many songs.

Maybe both of us are just holding it wrong.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Volguus posted:

Sure, but that's irrelevant if they put the same music over and over again. The features that they offer in the premium plan are of no value to me. Ad free is cool, but I put up with it for those $10. Unlimited skips does not interest me, 6 is usually fine. Listen offline ... If I'd had the space I wouldn't be using them now would I? Their entire value is on the streaming part. "Play any track" I have no idea what that is, I thought I can play any track in free mode as well, maybe I was wrong. "High quality audio" ... eh, I only use them in the car. It's fine, as the phone plans in canada are not that good for high quality. Yet.

I mean, okay, you seem pretty firm in your opinion, I don't feel the same. Good luck in finding the right service for you then. Also, my Canadian plan is unlimited data, throttled to 512kbps after 20GB. It's pretty good, so I'm not sure what plan threshold you need. With the ability to pin music offline, I hardly use any data for spotify streaming.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/15/youtube-will-end-email-notifications-for-new-videos-on-august-13/

Google claims no one uses e-mail alerts for YouTube, so they're gone now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So one less reason to "ring the bell"?

I hate how notifications became necessary because the subscription feed was buggy and didn't list everything.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, okay, you seem pretty firm in your opinion, I don't feel the same. Good luck in finding the right service for you then. Also, my Canadian plan is unlimited data, throttled to 512kbps after 20GB. It's pretty good, so I'm not sure what plan threshold you need. With the ability to pin music offline, I hardly use any data for spotify streaming.

My canadian plan is 4GB of data, probably capped to $50 max overcharge if I remember correctly, but I am not sure about that. I use it fine and it fulfills all my needs, but I don't think that it would be able to support high quality music though. My beef with them is not about the payment thing. The paid features simply do not offer any value to me, so I don't pay. My beef with them is about the music they put after the playlist is over and that is not fixed on either premium or free. If it would be, I would certainly reconsider my subscription.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 16, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tbh apple music is my go-to at this point. no arbitrary library size limit unlike spotify, lets me upload music they don’t have, solid enough web client, decent curation, android app is totally fine imo... spotify works for a looot of people, but if you’re someone who still has a bunch of stuff that’ll never be on a streaming service or are an album-centric listener, it’s worth a look.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Hangouts was popular as gently caress before google decided to release allo and duo and youtube messaging and whatever the gently caress.

Like, how can you just have a business meeting " our product is popular which means we must kill it and replace with 5 different ones "

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

sleepwalkers posted:

tbh apple music is my go-to at this point. no arbitrary library size limit unlike spotify, lets me upload music they don’t have, solid enough web client, decent curation, android app is totally fine imo... spotify works for a looot of people, but if you’re someone who still has a bunch of stuff that’ll never be on a streaming service or are an album-centric listener, it’s worth a look.

I despise Apple as a company and won't use their products nor give them money. That said, I've heard the same from friends, so if you don't have the strong personal stance that I do, it may be a good option.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I despise Apple as a company and won't use their products nor give them money. That said, I've heard the same from friends, so if you don't have the strong personal stance that I do, it may be a good option.
spotify’s main goal seems to be absolutely demolishing artist payments, so i’m not sure morals really fit in the streaming music world.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

sleepwalkers posted:

spotify’s main goal seems to be absolutely demolishing artist payments, so i’m not sure morals really fit in the streaming music world.

That's totally fair.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

sleepwalkers posted:

Spotify doesn't have a library limit anymore.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Am I the only person who uses Plex and my own music library that's streaming from my home PC? Works just fine with Android Auto. I enjoyed Spotify and even Pandora at various points in the past, but I got tired of hearing all the same suggested songs as was mentioned up thread.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

UncleGuito posted:

Spotify doesn't have a library limit anymore.
holy poo poo, finally.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Transferred music to YTM. Initial thought, very much seems like I'm not meant to play my library. Maybe I'm just using it wrong but Library - Artists - Uploads gives me a list of artists that it has to buffer its way through and scrolling from A-Z takes north of a minute as opposed to a few seconds due to this. This doesn't even seem to be cached as tapping back and then going into Uploads again starts the buffering all over again. It's also a lot more fragmented than the list in GPM with YTM showing many artists with 1 song that were managed better in GPM.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

It's also a lot more fragmented than the list in GPM with YTM showing many artists with 1 song that were managed better in GPM.

My buddy said that it doesn't respect album artist tags, so that's probably why. I've had mp3 plays that didn't use album artist tags, so all my files work around that and I don't have the same problem.

Yes, buffering every ≈2 screens is a major pain.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It does respect album artist tags. I've got a massive amount of mix cds and compilations ripped into there and use that tag to keep them sensible

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Am I the only person who uses Plex and my own music library that's streaming from my home PC? Works just fine with Android Auto. I enjoyed Spotify and even Pandora at various points in the past, but I got tired of hearing all the same suggested songs as was mentioned up thread.

I just got a synology, and I was thinking about playing with this. Do you use plexamp?
Are you able to pin music on your device? I camp outside cell range often enough that I need offline play.

I'm also on the GPM train. I don't like three android auto app for YTM. It doesn't allow for a real station based on the current song, and I've not found the library queue yet. Seems like a downgrade of GPM.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Burden posted:

For me it combined my likes from GPM and YT. I don't want that. Now I have a bunch of Howard Stern song parodies that I liked and non music stuff that I have liked in the past that I don't want in my music library mixed together and it is driving me nuts. I want my music to be my music and my YouTube to be my YouTube. I don't want them mixed.

Yea, I like a bunch of random videos to save them for watching later, and I had a separate playlist for music videos I liked (before YTM). After I swapped to YTM it added my entire liked playlist in GPM to my YT like playlist and just wrecked the drat thing. I went through and ended up creating a new playlist for liked non-music videos and deleting them from the liked playlist, and then liking everything in my music videos playlist, but that was a giant pain in the rear end. Then, once I realized how garbage YTM was, I went through the liked playlist, removed all the music and re-liked all my previously liked videos again. It took an afternoon, but at least I have everything how I want it again.

I ended up swapping over to Spotify, because it and Plex are the only other music platforms that let me listen to my own music. And as much as I love Plex, Tidal is just not worth it for me. So now I get to pay for a subscription to YTRed (because gently caress ads) and Spotify, so I'm paying basically twice as much a month but that's just how much I dislike YTM.

Also, I signed up for Spotify Duo with the boyfriend, and now we have a combined playlist for car rides and whatnot that neither one of us can complain about. It's actually been pretty nice!

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

You're not, I went back to rolling my own solution last year. I'm using airsonic and not plex though. With the way streaming services have been going i don't think I'll be back any time soon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

You're not, I went back to rolling my own solution last year. I'm using airsonic and not plex though. With the way streaming services have been going i don't think I'll be back any time soon.

I'll have to remember Airsonic, thanks. Does it let you store local copies on your phone or is it streaming only?

I use Emby instead of Plex for reasons that don't belong in this thread, but I've been having trouble getting it to stream outside of my network. I could use Plex for music, but that seems like overkill.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Using Spotify means I can discover new artists and albums and instantly listen to anything without having to purchase and download it and put it in the correct folder for Plex.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If things keep repeating in Spotify, I figure y'all don't listen to enough different songs or genres for it to suggest new things. My auto-playlists don't repeat things. The only thing I have to complain about is blocking artists doing jackshit, tho.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Combat Pretzel posted:

If things keep repeating in Spotify, I figure y'all don't listen to enough different songs or genres for it to suggest new things. My auto-playlists don't repeat things. The only thing I have to complain about is blocking artists doing jackshit, tho.

Mine doesn't either, I've discovered so much good music with that feature. Maybe it has to do with genres or listening habits of some of these goons?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I see what you all mean and that sounds plausible since I only listen to old man music but I'm listening to Queens of the Stone Age radio because I want to discover stuff that sounds like QOTSA. To me it defeats the purpose entirely if the Radio function only works if I already know and have manually searched for/listened to all the stuff that sounds like QOTSA. It just feels less like a "radio station" and more like it generates a 100 song playlist based on my algorithm at that time and repeats once it hits the end.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I paid a few bucks for the app Poweramp and it plays music beautifully. Zero issues. Mind you I add my own music to what I want to listen to.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm not sure if this is the same issue some of you are describing but my Spotify daily mixes did recently go from often introducing me to some stuff I wasn't aware of to being mostly songs I've already liked, other songs from artists or albums I liked/followed but didn't explicitly like that song, and a pretty predictable selection of related songs I've never disliked enough to block but I don't need them coming up that often. And I bet it's reinforcing itself since I still mostly listen to those mixes. I just wish there was an interface to either specify some default preferences wrt stuff I already like vs. go out on a limb and try some stuff I've never seen before or maybe spin up a playlist on demand with those parameters. When it's getting it right it does feel like their algorithm is better than anyone else's but they've kinda been slacking for a few weeks for me at least.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Burden posted:

While we are on the gently caress Google train, gently caress them for getting rid of Google Play Music. YouTube Music blows. Riding it out until it is officially gone then I'll figure out what streaming service I'll use.

I'm a loving weirdo who likes to play music on their phone rather than streaming, so I'm gonna have to find a good music player app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

explosivo posted:

I see what you all mean and that sounds plausible since I only listen to old man music but I'm listening to Queens of the Stone Age radio because I want to discover stuff that sounds like QOTSA. To me it defeats the purpose entirely if the Radio function only works if I already know and have manually searched for/listened to all the stuff that sounds like QOTSA. It just feels less like a "radio station" and more like it generates a 100 song playlist based on my algorithm at that time and repeats once it hits the end.

Have you actually found anything though? I pretty much only listen to a playlist of everything QOTSA and TCV on shuffle because Homme is one-of-a-kind.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I find that you need to use Spotify differently than "radio" streaming services like Pandora if you want the algorithmic stuff to stay fresh - the Spotify radio feature definitely takes a backseat to made for you, playlists, autoplay, etc and seems more focuses on music you already know.

I usually find a lot of really good stuff in my Daily Mixes. DW & RR have duds some weeks, but sounds like that's how they tune things given new releases & genres that keep popping up (it wasn't really designed to dump 100% stuff you like, according to their posts about it). Some of my best finds in DW have been things that I wouldn't have consciously looked for myself, which is where Spotify really excels vs the competition imo. And if you hear something you like in DW, RR, etc, click through to the artist and listen to their other top tracks - found a lot of good stuff this way also!

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 17, 2020

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Uthor posted:

I'll have to remember Airsonic, thanks. Does it let you store local copies on your phone or is it streaming only?

I use Emby instead of Plex for reasons that don't belong in this thread, but I've been having trouble getting it to stream outside of my network. I could use Plex for music, but that seems like overkill.

Since airsonic is open source there's a dozen different apps for it, as far as I know most of them support local storage. I use dSub which definitely does.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a language thing, which is why I'm having a bit of difficulty with that... oh well, I'll figure it out. It can't be that hard to find.

e: ah, I have it. Thanks.

My phone only has fingerprint reader (no face unlock) besides smart lock and can't find the option in my Nokia 7 Plus (spanish menus) so may be in a different place? It's Android 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

deong posted:

I just got a synology, and I was thinking about playing with this. Do you use plexamp?
Are you able to pin music on your device? I camp outside cell range often enough that I need offline play.

I'm also on the GPM train. I don't like three android auto app for YTM. It doesn't allow for a real station based on the current song, and I've not found the library queue yet. Seems like a downgrade of GPM.

I just use the standard Plex android app - Plexamp wasn't working with Android Auto last time I messed with it (it may work now). And, at least in the standard Plex app, you can sync any media to your phone that you want to, and you can do it by playlist or album or folder or whatever way you like to sort your music.

FWIW I haven't looked in to some of the other stream-your-own-stuff solutions a ton because I'm pretty happy with what I have and I also snagged a lifetime plex pass back when they were only $50. Airsonic + one of the supporting apps might be a better option unless you're also looking to serve other kinds of media.