Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

E2: Honestly with ten seconds thought it seems like you could just paint ICE as the agency charged with the collecting the children that fuels everything they want to believe in. I'm honestly still not sure where the 8 million or so missing children are meant to have come from other than "every reported missing kid in the US ever".
My mom probably reported me or my brothers missing half a dozen times while growing up. We always showed up, once or twice in the back of a police car.

So, you take the raw missing kids report numbers. Don't question how many of them stayed missing, assume that the number is under-reported so bump it up a bit, and then accumulate that total over whatever many number of years you need to make your goal.

Never mind that for that number to work every family in the US had to have lost an average of 1.2 children to trafficking or that you would need hundreds of thousands of chartered flights and ships packed to capacity to get them out of the country.

They do the same thing to justify carrying guns. Look at how many 'self-defense shootings that disrupted an attack' they claim. We all would have to have killed 3 or 4 attackers in our lives to meet the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Electric Phantasm posted:

The hashtag is now saveourchildren because #savethechildren is run by Bill Gates :lol:

I loving hate many people I know that have fallen for this poo poo and about half of them don't say poo poo about ICE .

#saveourwhitechildren

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Blurred posted:

Has anyone from the administration ever directly addressed or directly been asked about Q? I mean I know that even a complete disavowal wouldn't change anything, but it's strange that it never seems to be talked about in an official capacity at all considering how widespread it is.

About 500 years ago SHuckS was asked about it. The question might’ve been posed after the Boulder Dam standoff

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/sarah-huckabee-sanders-on-qanon-conspiracy-theory/

Edit: Looks like it was after a bunch of people showed up with Q merch at a Trump rally

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

A distinction without a difference in tyool 2020

Manafort, Gates and Stone working to get their candidate elected (possibly with the help of foreign forces), is a fundamentally different thing to the FBI/CIA ostensibly working for "America's interest"

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 14, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1294017917525229568?s=20

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jojoinnit posted:

What if we create a connection to convince them the Mole Children are actually the kids being separated at the border? Maybe we could trick them into caring about actionable things and save some children?

E: Feels fairly easy. The kids are collected then held underground until they're sold for sex or taken to Hilaries andrenochrome factories etc etc

E2: Honestly with ten seconds thought it seems like you could just paint ICE as the agency charged with the collecting the children that fuels everything they want to believe in. I'm honestly still not sure where the 8 million or so missing children are meant to have come from other than "every reported missing kid in the US ever".

I think you're ignoring that theyve seen photos of the children and they're all not white so it really doesn't matter to them.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I remember when I discovered just how prevalent human trafficking was back in like... my senior year of high school. I took a deep dive into it because it seemed insane that we'd have a slave trade in the modern day, and yet here we were. What I remember the most was how little people seemed to care once you explained how it worked, that they weren't snatching white kids waiting for the bus and selling them to pedophiles and instead it was trapping people into exploitative arrangements because of how immigration laws worked.

I've never known how to feel about that. I suppose it was people losing interest because it wasn't as exciting, but I can't help but think that for more than a few it was because those people don't matter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Grondoth posted:

I remember when I discovered just how prevalent human trafficking was back in like... my senior year of high school. I took a deep dive into it because it seemed insane that we'd have a slave trade in the modern day, and yet here we were. What I remember the most was how little people seemed to care once you explained how it worked, that they weren't snatching white kids waiting for the bus and selling them to pedophiles and instead it was trapping people into exploitative arrangements because of how immigration laws worked.

I've never known how to feel about that. I suppose it was people losing interest because it wasn't as exciting, but I can't help but think that for more than a few it was because those people don't matter.

I think that's close. I generally try and believe people are ignorant rather than malicious and the idea of pretty little white kids being snatched up is scary because those could be your kids (whether hypothetical or actual children). It feels like something you should be solving because its in your backyard and could threaten your life personally.

On the flip side, many people have shielded themselves from the realities in developing nations. They tell themselves bad things happen there all the time, and its just what happens because its the only way to shield themselves from the dread that theyre not doing anything to stop it. By telling themselves its just too big of a problem to solve they feel off the hook.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Grondoth posted:

I think it's that incredibly sad thing where media defined for people what "crimes" are and anything that doesn't look like that can be ignored. Eg. A rape is violence in a dark alley at night. Kidnapping is when a child under 10 is abducted, usually at a bus stop etc. Things have to be cut and dried or they don't recognise it. "This woman was forced into sexual slavery by economics and the system" becomes "well why didn't she just leave, she's an adult" and it's horribly sad and lovely.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Good example of that is Taken, envisioning a horrific ethnic human trafficking ring that kidnaps white American women, the brainchild of Luc Besson, a man with numerous rape allegations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/McCormackJohn/status/1294000992879620096?s=20
https://twitter.com/briantashman/status/1294083865447931904?s=20
https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1294259333832888325?s=20

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
That may be the least inspired name/slogan combo I’ve ever seen

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

American Truth Seekers was a lot less well known than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I had a great brokebrain encounter with Q-adjacent stuff on facebook a couple days back. An acquaintance of mine posted a status worrying about child-trafficking, and one of her friends posted some pizzagate poo poo, alluding to the whole "Hillary skinned a child's face and wore it on her face" video thing. I pointed out that it's fictional, that if that video actually existed it would be absolutely impossible to suppress on the internet, so he asked me to prove that it didn't exist. I pointed out that it's impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, which led to him ranting about pizzagate stuff and saying that it's stupid for anyone to pretend that the rich aren't getting away with this stuff. I agreed, saying that the rich definitely do, and that it's foolish to focus on unsubstantiated stuff like pizzagate and Qanon when there's already tons of documented evidence regarding people like Epstein and his connections to people like Trump. Then he blindsided me by saying that he's not a Trump voter and he doesn't believe in any of that Q nonsense. I was like...bro, all the stuff you're talking about comes from Qanon. Even if you don't vote for Trump or whatever, you're absolutely playing along with a narrative that exists to help him. It was just ridiculous.

I saw today that I hadn't been getting any notifications from that comment thread and discovered that this acquaintance of mine blocked me over this. She'd been liking all of his posts and asking him for more information so this was just a lost cause, evidently. "I don't believe the stuff that person says, but I do believe this other stuff that you're now telling me he said, and I'm going to continue believing it because I'm not a sheep." I wasn't even being rude, for once, I was just pointing out some really obvious poo poo they should know

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This article pretty much spells it out:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-qanon-rode-pandemic-new-heights-fueled-viral-anti-mask-n1236695

Qanon is infiltrating spiritual/ New Age/ Religous/ alternative medicine groups on Facebook through the algorithm and spreading to people who are already gullible or seeking good vs evil answers in their lives

It's spreading A LOT too. It's why you might notice some of your less online but spiritual friends posting stuff about pizzagate and #savethechildren

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It's following the same path that flat earth did when that was hot for a while

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The clever part is, by tying their insanity to opposing human trafficking and pedophilia, anyone who speaks out against their delusions is going to look like they support those things.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So I finally had the free time to read up on this whole thing.

I still have no idea how it took off when the Q Drops are less accurate than computer-generated horoscopes. It doesn't even have the "positive" aspects of real life cults where you have group orgies or whatever.

How did it take off? Is this the doing of the real shadow government?!1

(I'm actually serious, how did this become so big? Even the 9/11 truthers and moon hoaxers had more convincing arguments.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is helpful perhaps to consider that things are believed not because they are true, but because they fulfil a need for the believer.

Truth is a kind of need, in that you need, say, to not be electrocuted and for your appliances to work, so people believe that electricity exists because if they didn't they would probably fry themselves on an electrical outlet.

But conversely some people don't need, and specifically don't like a lot of modern technology, phones, portable computers etc. And so they need a reason to justify that. They also need reasons to justify why the world is lovely, why the people in charge are in charge but also seem like idiots who don't do anything, especially when they have an emotional investment in them not being lovely idiots who don't do anything.

And from there you get conspiracies. Modern technology is actually bad for you but the government are covering it up, you're right to dislike it. The president is actually brilliant and good but you can't see any of it because it's secret. You shouldn't wear a mask because the deadly plague isn't actually real because and you shouldn't have to have your life disrupted at all.

People want to believe this poo poo, and so it doesn't matter how nonsensical it is, they don't suffer consequences for belieivng it, at least right up until it kills them. Sure their families might leave them but that only reinforces the need to believe, because if you were wrong then you've just seriously hosed up your life for your own stupid reasons and it was all for nothing. But if it's right then you'll be vindicated and they'll have to come crawling back.

Feelings don't care about the facts, basically. Including people's need to feel like they're factually correct. What matters is not that they are, but that they can believe very strongly that they are, and that belief can carry them right into the grave because that's easier for a lot of people than considering even for a moment that they might be wrong, and the longer they're wrong, the harder it is to break out of it.

The election of trump was the culmination of a lot of poo poo that has been going on in people's lives for a long time, and that outpouring of energy won't go away, a lot of people had a real emotive need to see him win and finally put to rights the (real) wrongs that are plainly visible in US society but which politics has not even considered addressing until recently, because they're wrongs that need to exist to uphold the oligarchy, they're wrongs that the people in charge don't really think are wrong. And there's also a lot of people who are really into the worst right wing poo poo you can think of, things that the republicans have been dogwhistling towards for decades but now say openly. Both of those groups have a very powerful emotional need to see their desires fulfilled and so you get the cult of trump, with its mysticism to explain why their emotional need is valid.

Basically it's all just a very convoluted combination of people responding to social alienation and also a lack of emotional support. Every time you tell people they're valid online you're stopping them from turning into a conspiracy nut. Because people do need to feel valid, they do need emotional support, but a lot of people were brought up in a society that didn't acknowledge that so they developed really busted cognitive coping mechanisms.

They are the product of a society that is broken, but which a lot of people are still very invested in. And the more broken that society becomes, the further those invested in it will retreat into fantasy. Some of them will have their investment shattered, or switch it to other elements of the society, but others will simply find more and more fantastical places to go to, mentally, in the name of preserving their view of the world.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 16, 2020

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It is helpful perhaps to consider that things are believed not because they are true, but because they fulfil a need for the believer.

Truth is a kind of need, in that you need, say, to not be electrocuted and for your appliances to work, so people believe that electricity exists because if they didn't they would probably fry themselves on an electrical outlet.

But conversely some people don't need, and specifically don't like a lot of modern technology, phones, portable computers etc. And so they need a reason to justify that. They also need reasons to justify why the world is lovely, why the people in charge are in charge but also seem like idiots who don't do anything, especially when they have an emotional investment in them not being lovely idiots who don't do anything.

And from there you get conspiracies. Modern technology is actually bad for you but the government are covering it up, you're right to dislike it. The president is actually brilliant and good but you can't see any of it because it's secret. You shouldn't wear a mask because the deadly plague isn't actually real because and you shouldn't have to have your life disrupted at all.

People want to believe this poo poo, and so it doesn't matter how nonsensical it is, they don't suffer consequences for belieivng it, at least right up until it kills them. Sure their families might leave them but that only reinforces the need to believe, because if you were wrong then you've just seriously hosed up for your own stupid reasons and it was all for thing. But if it's right then you'll be vindicated and they'll have to come crawling back.

Feelings don't care about the facts, basically. Including people's need to feel like they're factually correct. What matters is not that they are, but that they can believe very strongly that they are, and that belief can carry them right into the grave because that's easier for a lot of people than considering even for a moment that they might be wrong, and the longer they're wrong, the harder it is to break out of it.

The election of trump was the culmination of a lot of poo poo that has been going on in people's lives for a long time, and that outpouring of energy won't go away, a lot of people had a real emotive need to see him win and finally put to rights the (real) wrongs that are plainly visible in US society but which politics has not even considered addressing until recently, because they're wrongs that need to exist to uphold the oligarchy, they're wrongs that the people in charge don't really think are wrong. And there's also a lot of people who are really into the worst right wing poo poo you can think of, things that the republicans have been dogwhistling towards for decades but now say openly. Both of those groups have a very powerful emotional need to see their desires fulfilled and so you get the cult of trump, with its mysticism to explain why their emotional need is valid.

Basically it's all just a very convoluted combination of people responding to social alienation and also a lack of emotional support. Every time you tell people they're valid online you're stopping them from turning into a conspiracy nut. Because people do need to feel valid, they do need emotional support, but a lot of people were brought up in a society that didn't acknowledge that so they developed really busted cognitive coping mechanisms.

I do understand the need to believe, and feelings and facts not working well together. I mean, I suffer from all kinds of anxieties despite knowing they're entirely irrational.

But there are degrees to that, still. I deconverted an actual nazi once by just talking to him for long enough, but the nazis have an actual belief system that you can slowly dismantle. And I can understand why people would believe in nazi propaganda; someone easy to blame for how lovely everything is. I don't want to call it logical, but there is a logical structure to it. A conclusion that only requires you to accept one false premise to arrive at. I understand latching onto beliefs like that if you are completely alienated.

This, however has no kind of structure to it at all. It's just word salad and insanity. Every premise is false and the conclusions don't make any sense even in the context of those premises. Why would they pick this as their go-to belief system?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How deeply does it fulfil the emotional need? What are the emotional needs?

I would probably center a few needs based on my limited understanding of it:

1. You, the adherent, understand the world, you are Right, your lovely children and political opponents are Wrong.

That's the most important one, in essence it's the root of probably most things in society in one form or another :v:. The need to be capital R Right about things is a very powerful one and transcends the political spectrum. But in this instance I think it takes more specific forms such as:

2. The modern world is degenerate, and a return to the old, better ways that you, the adherent, are emotionally invested in, is needed. Be they ways that you actually experienced or ways you have idealized through looking to the past, or both. The world must return to a prelapsarian state and all wrongs are the result of modern changes.

This I think is fundamentally the root of all conservatism, and also quite a lot of religious practice, it certainly has strong theological overtones with the whole fall from grace idea, it tells you you're a part of a great swing of history and I think it tickles a lot of people in the right ways to believe that the answers lie in the past, that they already existed and are proven, but we just need to go back to them. It's also a very fascist idea obviously but it again it is present in a lot of politcal positions to some degree. Age gives things weight.

I think this is why you get the overlap with the general woo crowd, and the satanic panic people, and why it's full of right wingers generally, because all of those groups believe in some sort of traditionalism. Be it the natural healing power of ancient medicine and communing with dolphins or whatever, or the need to become more religiously doctrinal to restore morality to the world, or just generally "I hate all these kids with their genders and their nintendos" crotchety old men. I think they all fill the same emotional need. My life and beliefs are good and fine, everything else is new and wrong. Which leads into:

3. There does not need to be any drastic change to your life, in order to restore the world to how it should be.

This is why, I think, they're so invested in trump, because they think he can just make everything better and their lives can be an endless rolling montage of cheesecake factory and cars and apolitical sports games and grilling and cheap gasoline and gendered bathrooms and respecting the troops and basically nothing needs to change for them. They're already doing everything correctly, we just need to get rid of the liberals and the clintons and drain the swamp and the america of 1950's film reels and late 90's end-of-the-cold-war can endure for a million years.

I think this is also a key part of their conservatism, it isn't revolutionary, it entirely externalizes all of the world's evils out from them, as well as the need to do anything about it. Trump will solve it and it won't affect them. Because their lives are the only thing they care about. They are entirely invested in the structure of society as it is and don't want anything to change, because they think they only stand to lose out.

In the face of an increasingly radical political landscape especially among the young, many of whom want to drastically remake how our society works, and many others who believe it's necessary whether we like it or not because otherwise we'll all drown and boil, desperate reaction is inevitable. But mercifully I think the majority of them are just sticking their fingers in their ears and going la la la, and it's mostly institutional inertia that is getting their desires met. I don't think they really have the energy to uphold the system by mass direct action.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 16, 2020

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

I still have no idea how it took off when the Q Drops are less accurate than computer-generated horoscopes. It doesn't even have the "positive" aspects of real life cults where you have group orgies or whatever.

(I'm actually serious, how did this become so big? Even the 9/11 truthers and moon hoaxers had more convincing arguments.)

The soil had been tilled the year before. FBIanon laid the groundwork for the existence of insiders dropping hints which would be believed by the community, and that went on to spawn pizzagate.

There was a genuine desire to want to believe in a purpose for the Trump presidency, otherwise the past 18 months were going to feel an awful lot like a waste.

Similarly, there was a desire to believe in the evil-ness of Hillary Clinton.

They'd been told from the podium for the last 6 months that the Russia investigation was a targeted attack on the good guys.

People get a thrill out of believing they are in a secret. They subconsciously choose to chase that thrill. Forums are fun, codes are fun, puzzles are fun. Q flattered them. The best thing is just to read the first page for yourself.

Beliefs in conspiracy theories are of course well documented. If you study it, you can work out exactly where those beliefs are most likely to appear, and how best to exploit that.

And then something like this comes along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vw9N96E-aQ

And surely you can understand enough about the psychology of humans in general and on the internet in particular work to know that's going to leave a mark. My question is, was that made by Psy Group (or whoever), or was that made by that guy in the sincere belief that it was real. Is 'Joe M' in on it or not. I think he might be. He must be. He's another avatar of it. A pretty crucial one really. And again, one that costs them exactly zero loving dollars. Out of the blue he just comes out with these videos, with those production values? Possible. And arguably even more impressive and scary if so.

The first posts, coming out so hard, so soon, and so falsifiably , remains the biggest puzzle. But again, there was nothing to lose in the first few days. They came the day after Gates and Manafort were indicted. Zero cost. I doubt there was any expectation that it could become what it has. And the theory is non-falsifiable anyway - everything is part of the plan. And there weren't that many predictions, and they were kind of washed away by the sheer volume of questions anyway. It actually does wrap up a few times too, at post 21, post 33, maybe post 13. It's also possible that those first ones weren't actually the agency, I don't think the tripcodes are even consistent.

The fact that they have been able to sustain it with Trump as the protagonist is the most concerning. Imagine if they had a guy who was even remotely believable.

You're right though, it beggars belief. That's part of the reason why it needs to taken so seriously.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 16, 2020

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Well, thank you for the answers. It's still surprisingly hard for me to believe that people actually believe in this, but clearly they do. And I don't have any better explanations myself.

I just hope it dies down when Trump is gone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It might a bit, and I think it will definitely change, but from my reading I would probably counsel no, it won't go away. Because the need is still there, the need will be there for quite a while yet, and you will probably see this sort of behaviour get more and more extreme as wealth inequality widens and particularly as climate change starts to get worse. The need for people to stick their head in the sand is going to get very strong in the coming decades.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

Well, thank you for the answers. It's still surprisingly hard for me to believe that people actually believe in this, but clearly they do. And I don't have any better explanations myself.

Once trump is gone, whoever is behind it will continue to go about trying to kneecap the progressives however they can, to advance their conservative agenda at home and abroad.

This particular story line and its movement will largely drop off, most won't be able to make it through Trump's fall. "The Great Awakening", however, which is what this essentially is, works without Trump, so we can expect a lot of people will move on to a solar/galactic ascension narrative, which they may just let go or continue to cultivate.

But the powers that were able to get people do to this will absolutely still be walking around out there with their billions of dollars, their established media channels, their strategy play books, and several more years of experience.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

OwlFancier posted:

1. You, the adherent, understand the world, you are Right, your lovely children and political opponents are Wrong.

It's not even just that they're wrong, it's that they're indisputably, unarguably, maximally evil. In their world view, Hillary Clinton's crimes aren't that she's a narcissist or a commie or a man-hater or whatever, but that she's ordering the kidnapping of white babies so she can eat them with all of her powerful friends in their underground sex lair. The rush of satisfaction and vindication they get when someone "discovers" that their political opponents are literal monsters is a very powerful inducement to keep digging deeper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, true, I was trying to get at that with the capitalization, like not just trivially right and wrong, absolutely and completely right and wrong.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
So did R. Trump have information that would lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton or something?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Thoughtless posted:

It's not really any different from when the Satanic Panic got people jailed for feeding orphans to freshwater sharks back in the 80's. It goes about like this:

If Satanic baby cannibals exist, then there's somebody in the world who's worse than you.

If there's somebody in the world who's worse than you, then you're a good person.

If you're a good person, then the world owes you good things. Any day now...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1294753347002486784?s=20

quote:

A correspondent for InfoWars, the Alex Jones-helmed far-right media organization known as a hub for conspiracy theories and false news stories, was arrested Friday evening at her home in Diamond, Ohio, midway between Youngstown and Akron.

Millicent “Millie” Weaver, 29, and her husband Gavin Wince, 46, were taken into custody by the Portage County Sheriff’s Office. Each faces one count each of robbery, tampering with evidence, obstructing justice, and domestic violence, according to jail officials.

The Daily Dot reports:

InfoWars reporter Millicent “Millie” Weaver was arrested on Friday, and, despite conspiracy theories that claim she was arrested for “exposing” an alleged “deep state,” she has been charged with legitimate alleged crimes.

When asked about the claim that Weaver was arrested for exposing the deep state, the Portage County Jail administrator laughed. Conspiracy theorists believe a type of shadow government exists and is working to undermine President Donald Trump and his agenda.

Weaver filmed the arrest, during which she claimed that she had no understanding of why she was being arrested and suggested that the arrest had something to do with some very serious journalism she was about to do that day.

“I’m literally about to break huge breaking news right now, and I’m being arrested and I have no idea why,” Weaver told her phone camera, while wearing a “Free Loomer” shirt. This of course refers to Laura Loomer who is not so much “in jail” as she is “banned from Twitter for being a gross bigot”

Of course.conspiracies are abundant by family and supporters

https://twitter.com/WeaverPastor/status/1294373140668338177?s=20

https://twitter.com/carlaschultz3/status/1294561090572029952?s=19

https://twitter.com/Marfoogle/status/1294509748822261760?s=19

https://twitter.com/r_shinn/status/1294521647291150338?s=19

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Thoughtless posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claque

A claque is a professional audience member, a plant, that knows how to respond to a performer to encourage the rest of the audience to go along with things.

The sockpuppet army isn't just pushing qanon stuff; it's a large claque. It creates an illusion designed to simulate natural forces of social influence.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

wet_goods posted:

So did R. Trump have information that would lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton or something?

Be careful here. For whatever reason people are trying to white wash Robert Trump. He was an active leader of Trump org, filed the suit against his niece to block her book and is implicit in everything Donald has done.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Murgos posted:

Be careful here. For whatever reason people are trying to white wash Robert Trump. He was an active leader of Trump org, filed the suit against his niece to block her book and is implicit in everything Donald has done.

I laughed for about 10 minutes straight at this tweet so no worries there, rest in piss

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/1294829519316987905?s=20

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think Vigilant Violent Prayer were the opening act when I went to see A Silver Mt. Zion

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Alright leave Q aside for a minute, is anyone going to try and tell me that FBIanon was not part of an agency operation which was co-ordinated with Roger Stone?

“Repeat something often enough and it becomes the truth. Repeat after me: ‘Hillary is evil and will destroy the planet.’… The task is this: unleash every meme, image, and horrible story about HRC that you can muster while she gives her speech tonight. You all must find a way to visible disrupt her nomination speech. It can be done — but it is up to you on how to do it. … In order to be effective, you must proselytize. For example: Start a website aggregating the images/facts and then try to get it linked to Drudge. Shove the images down every news anchor/journalists throat. Push out to people who you normally would have nothing to do with. HRC and Correct the Record invade your circles. Why don’t you invade theirs? … We should be spreading memes to /r/HillaryForPrison and /r/The_Donald subs on Reddit.… blitz Twitter, Tumblr, and all social media with memes on the Clinton Foundation tonight, on the last night of the DNC. We should get on it now, sooner the better. We need TrumpGen with us, and the meme division blasting the Tumblr tags. Bring up the old methods that /b/ used to use during their Tumblr raids. We’re going to war tonight …”

“More leaks will come. The time is not right yet. Expect an October Surprise.”

“As an aside, when you are reading Podesta’s e-mails, remember that the Clintons deal in weapons, drugs, and people. Some terminology in use is far more nefarious than many of you suspect.”

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
FBIanon/Rogue White House Staff/Rogue EPA/Rogue NASA/early Qanon falls into the long internet tradition of random assholes pretending to be an important government functionary and playing a forums ARG with their fellow assholes.

I mean SA literally had Martin Random pretend to be a GW Bush-era White House staffer. They would weave in amusing factoids about the giant wheel of cheese between their unverifiable claims about Bush officials. And we loving cheered because it was a fun thread. Pity we didn't use it to kickstart a religious revival amongst boomers. Maybe Lowtax should have moved to the Phillipines and started feeding the corpses of sex workers to his pig farm.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

FBIanon/Rogue White House Staff/Rogue EPA/Rogue NASA/early Qanon falls into the long internet tradition of random assholes pretending to be an important government functionary and playing a forums ARG with their fellow assholes.

I mean SA literally had Martin Random pretend to be a GW Bush-era White House staffer. They would weave in amusing factoids about the giant wheel of cheese between their unverifiable claims about Bush officials. And we loving cheered because it was a fun thread. Pity we didn't use it to kickstart a religious revival amongst boomers. Maybe Lowtax should have moved to the Phillipines and started feeding the corpses of sex workers to his pig farm.

They knew about the leaks coming in October, and also the strategy to make certain words "code" for something sinister.

There is a difference between a random rear end in a top hat making a joke for LOLs, and something with such a rabidly focused political objective as the above.

Why is it so hard to believe that an agency like Psy Group, who literally pitched the Trump campaign with this before the convention 2016:

"Psy will proceed at this stage to apply our proprietary Influence+ process, a highly effective and structured process of influencing targets through the use of messages tailored to them specifically based on research and intelligence, and delivered through authentic or authentic-looking 3rd party platforms for maximum efficacy and resonance.

...Influence platforms – like the intelligence platforms, this activity also involves setting up the required infrastructure using assets like tailored avatars, 3rd parties and more. The purpose of these platforms is to engage the targets and actively convince them or sway their opinion towards our goals as well as enable delivery of the desired tailored messages to the targets as well as to actively engage them.

...“What” – the tailored message that will be deemed most effective along with the how (the proper vessel). Once the required information has been obtained, identified our produced, we will then package it for effective delivery to the target audience/s. The “What” includes information like ulterior motives and hidden plans of the opponents, reasons to vote for Lion in ways that resonate with the target (i.e from a like-minded individual, concerned citizen, influencer, activist, former Bear supporter, etc.). and more. Once the information is obtained, it is assigned to the delivery platform that is deemed the most effective to deliver it to the target audience.

... The Influence+ process assumes several main underlying assumptions and deliverables: All engagement, outreach and other contact with targets will be done by Psy using authentic 3rd party voices, dedicated platforms and tailored approaches. This will enable each approach to look authentic and not part of the paid campaign.

We will operate across multiple media platforms, both online and offline. Our research and operational intelligence dossiers will indicate which media is most appropriate to which target/s.

All Psy influence activity will be carried out in parallel to Lion’s other campaign efforts and will be totally detached from it. Intelligence well be provided to the campaign as required. We recommend keeping this activity compartmentalized and on need-to-know basis since secrecy is a key factor in the success of the
activity."

Would be somehow unaware of 4chan and its potential, or unable or unwilling to use it?

Edit:

Links:

Proposal: https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/360-trump-project-rome/574d679d1ff58a30836c/optimized/full.pdf#page=

Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/us/politics/rick-gates-psy-group-trump.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Full catalogue of FBIanon posts: https://paulfurber.net/pdf/fbianon.pdf

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 17, 2020

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Thoughtless posted:

Thoughtless posted:

This, however has no kind of structure to it at all. It's just word salad and insanity. Every premise is false and the conclusions don't make any sense even in the context of those premises. Why would they pick this as their go-to belief system?

I think maybe the missing key here is forgetting how credulous and dumb people have become. lovely education and lead in the water

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Become" I think is the iffy word there, same reason I doubt that the whole thing has much to do with the incredible influencing powers of some shadowy cabal or whatever. People have believed in doomsday cults for centuries, likely thousands of years, and there is provable historical evidence of them not only being undeterred by the mere fact that the dates come and go without the world ending but their followers dig in and believe harder.

People aren't stupider than before, it's just that it isn't a rational thing, humans, fundamentally, aren't rational beings, they're capable of using rationality but it isn't built into them from birth. Emotional needs run deeper than rational ones, and we are taught far less about how to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I doubt that the whole thing has much to do with the incredible influencing powers of some shadowy cabal or whatever.

Not a shadowy cabal, an easily identifiable digital influence company who can do the whole thing for $3,210,000 + media costs.

An agency who's job it is to be fully aware of the very vulnerabilities we're discussing, and develop strategies to specifically exploit them.

Illuminti posted:

I think maybe the missing key here is forgetting how credulous and dumb people have become. lovely education and lead in the water

I think Owlfancier is right, people aren't necessarily dumber, but what makes this different is "The Internet", and all that entails.