Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Hughlander posted:

List product on ebay, at checkout say, "To purchase send me a check."

It's a pretty silly comparison to the App Store, but anyway, thanks for making me feel old because I can remember a time when this (or a postal money order) was pretty much the only way to actually purchase things on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Well one major difference is you can sell products on stores other than Amazon, auction items on sites other than eBay, but you can't distribute an app on iOS except through the app store. Secondly, in the first two instances you are bypassing the main function of the storefronts themselves, selling or auctioning items, while in the latter instance you might be selling a service to an ancillary subscription. Should Amazon be allowed to enforce payment via Amazon for all subscriptions for products sold via the Amazon storefront?

Except in this case that's not true at all. You can go and buy enter the Epic storefront through ways other than the iOS app and buy things not using the Apple App Store. Anything I buy on a PC or in Safari on a phone is not getting the Apple cut. So that's the case of you buying it from another auction site. And the main function of the app store that you're distributing your app is to make purchases on the app store isn't it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's a pretty silly comparison to the App Store, but anyway, thanks for making me feel old because I can remember a time when this (or a postal money order) was pretty much the only way to actually purchase things on eBay.

Great thanks for reminding me too...

I wish I had my old eBay account that was attached to my hotmail. I’d love to know what was the first stupid thing I bought.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MarcusSA posted:

Great thanks for reminding me too...

I wish I had my old eBay account that was attached to my hotmail. I’d love to know what was the first stupid thing I bought.

my ebay account is now officially old enough to drink anywhere in the us

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Anyone that hasn’t bought a 2018 or 2020 iPad Pro yet needs to buy one.

Just got my 11” and holy poo poo this thing is awesome. Coming from a 9.7” Pro for reference.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Brain Issues posted:

Just got my 11” and holy poo poo this thing is awesome. Coming from a 9.7” Pro for reference.

wait until you get the new magic keyboard to go with it

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Magic keyboard does look cool but it takes up laptops amount of space with it. And also if you take it off the keyboard, then it's naked and that's no good.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

The General posted:

Magic keyboard does look cool but it takes up laptops amount of space with it. And also if you take it off the keyboard, then it's naked and that's no good.

Agreed, I just got a folio style case without a keyboard.

e.pilot posted:

I decided against the magic keyboard, I already have a 16” MBP so I don’t need another laptop, I just want a good tablet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I can’t wait for iPadOS 14 as well, I picked up a pencil 2 in preparation for the ability to write in the text boxes.

What are some other cool pencil tricks or apps besides the regular drawing and note taking?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

Ha I just did the same thing and it's pretty impressive. I have it naked for now but ordered a dbrand wrap. Just going to rest it in a stand between uses. I grabbed AppleCare but I guess one day I will need a sleeve if this hell world ends and I can travel again. I almost grabbed the Magic keybooard but my Kechron k4 worked really well with it so no need

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

e.pilot posted:

Bought one, used it for a week, returned it 2 days ago. Ultimately it asks you to compromise too much for the sake of a proper keyboard. I really wanted to like it and it's built super well but at that point I might as well just buy an actual laptop. I do a lot of note taking and carry the iPad EVERYWHERE with me at work and... it was too much. With the smart keyboard I have a cover that I can also flip entirely for notes/pdf annotating. with the magic keyboard you have one way of using it and if you want to do anything else then its detach time and honestly I didn't care for that at all.

That said, the smart keyboard with a magic mouse 2 when you need a mouse? That poo poo is the bee's knees.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 16, 2020

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
It feels kinda dumb but anyone have a charging station for their pro and a phone and watch?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

It feels kinda dumb but anyone have a charging station for their pro and a phone and watch?

I’d really be curious how that would work!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

MarcusSA posted:

I’d really be curious how that would work!

Same! But my bedside stand things a freaking mess of cables and devices currently lol.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HNGZ2ZM/A/scosche-baselynx-modular-charging-system-pro-kit

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Same! But my bedside stand things a freaking mess of cables and devices currently lol.
Cheapest/easiest way is whatever combo thing for watch and phone...and just kinda deal with the iPad nearby. Multi USB charger thing somewhere and route/tie the cables cleanly so it's not all a mess.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should make it so you can charge a phone and a watch by setting them on top of a charging iPad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was eyeing the Logitech one that lets you charge a watch, phone and airpods case (or another phone) and looks snazzy

But it's kind of expensive.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/powered-wireless-charging-3-in-1-dock.950-000015.html

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

priznat posted:

I was eyeing the Logitech one that lets you charge a watch, phone and airpods case (or another phone) and looks snazzy

But it's kind of expensive.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/powered-wireless-charging-3-in-1-dock.950-000015.html

There's also about a thousand other variants of this idea available from other manufacturers at varying price ranges, from 'cheap Chinese thing you probably don't want to buy because it'll burn down your house' all the way up to 'handcrafted marble slab with embedded chargers' (well, okay, I haven't seen one of those, but I assume it exists).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Roadie posted:

There's also about a thousand other variants of this idea available from other manufacturers at varying price ranges, from 'cheap Chinese thing you probably don't want to buy because it'll burn down your house' all the way up to 'handcrafted marble slab with embedded chargers' (well, okay, I haven't seen one of those, but I assume it exists).

Yeah logitech is a solid brand and usually what I'd go for but the price is a bit steep, and yeah I wouldn't go for the cheap ones, they're a little scary.

Something more like Anker would possibly be the price/quality point I'd like to go for.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah logitech is a solid brand and usually what I'd go for but the price is a bit steep, and yeah I wouldn't go for the cheap ones, they're a little scary.

Something more like Anker would possibly be the price/quality point I'd like to go for.

Yep, I brought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB45W6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for myself and then a few months later for my sister for X-Mas. 18 months later still use it every night

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hughlander posted:

Yep, I brought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB45W6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for myself and then a few months later for my sister for X-Mas. 18 months later still use it every night

Nothing screams quality like XDODD.

Just a quick glance of reviews and some their headlines: Potential Fire Hazard; AirPod part broke easily, phone will not stay charging; Overpriced junk, save your money and wait for better alternatives; Set up is impossible, will damage your product; Suspect quality, possible fire hazard.

I understand your experience is different and everyone's financial situation is not the same but I don't want to lose my family and home and live with the knowledge a $100 would have been the difference.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

jabro posted:

Just a quick glance of reviews and some their headlines: Potential Fire Hazard; AirPod part broke easily, phone will not stay charging; Overpriced junk, save your money and wait for better alternatives; Set up is impossible, will damage your product; Suspect quality, possible fire hazard.

I understand your experience is different and everyone's financial situation is not the same but I don't want to lose my family and home and live with the knowledge a $100 would have been the difference.

:yeah:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jabro posted:

i wouldn't buy this but i also think it's funny the top review for me was about a "potential fire hazard" but actually the buyer only read about some and had no issue

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mediaphage posted:

i wouldn't buy this but i also think it's funny the top review for me was about a "potential fire hazard" but actually the buyer only read about some and had no issue

I agree and noticed that. But they did mention reviews there and one had pics of the device warping from the heat and said they couldn't pick it up with their bare hand because it was too hot. I choose not buy it because of the potential fire hazard and don't blame the guy for returning it after researching it further for the same reason. Rather read that than "definite fire hazard, burned my house down".

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I just restored my iPad mini (second to most recent version) because the “other” storage had filled up all my space.
For some reason, my books are not syncing back to the mini. All of the iCloud switches are on, I’ve restarted it a few times.

Anyone run into this or know a solution?

Edit: it just took a couple hours. Yay.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 18, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there anyone, literally anyone, who can put a fresh battery in an old iPad without sending it away for two weeks? All of the Apple stores in my region are still closed, Best Buy sends it away to the same place as Apple and the one independent chain that I called said that he would have to send it away as well. I just went back to work and I can't really be without my tablet for professional reasons.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there anyone, literally anyone, who can put a fresh battery in an old iPad without sending it away for two weeks? All of the Apple stores in my region are still closed, Best Buy sends it away to the same place as Apple and the one independent chain that I called said that he would have to send it away as well. I just went back to work and I can't really be without my tablet for professional reasons.

Call Apple. I don't know if they do it for iPads, but for phones, they'll send you a loaner and put a hold on your credit card to make sure they get it back.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Call Apple. I don't know if they do it for iPads, but for phones, they'll send you a loaner and put a hold on your credit card to make sure they get it back.

I'm sorry what? No you can't get a loaner for phones or iPads. You can do an express replacement for a limited warranty or AppleCare issue but they don't have loaner devices like that. Some stores did but it's pretty rare now with a pandemic happening

Edit: I'm not sure if iPad battery service can be arranged with customer drop off at a UPS store which cuts the repair time pretty significantly since you aren't waiting for a box but turn around time is about 3-5 business days right now for mail in service

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 18, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm sorry what? No you can't get a loaner for phones or iPads. You can do an express replacement for a limited warranty or AppleCare issue but they don't have loaner devices like that. Some stores did but it's pretty rare now with a pandemic happening

Edit: I'm not sure if iPad battery service can be arranged with customer drop off at a UPS store which cuts the repair time pretty significantly since you aren't waiting for a box but turn around time is about 3-5 business days right now for mail in service

My apologies. It's been a while since I've serviced any hardware, but they definitely used to have loaners. You're right though. Now it's just the express replacement.

edit: Looks like they still do have loaners for certain iPhone repairs, but I think those are only for repairs done at Apple Stores or AASP (and if they end up doing a mail-in repair). Not applicable to your scenario either way. Sorry, goon.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 18, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It’s not worth much but apple had my iPad battery replacement (precovid) back in like three days with priority international overnight shipping for some reason

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

It’s not worth much but apple had my iPad battery replacement (precovid) back in like three days with priority international overnight shipping for some reason

Yeah I don't know how it is now, but when you do a mail-in repair, they typically use overnight for mailing it to the repair facility and back to you.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have a 6th gen IPad and certain keys on the software key board stopped working. When I have the iPad horizontal it's certain keys and when I'm vertical mode it's a different set of keys that are inoperable.

Those spots are not dead as I can interact with apps and other touch functions and I'm holding off calling Apple as this may be faster to fix via SA.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rythe posted:

I have a 6th gen IPad and certain keys on the software key board stopped working. When I have the iPad horizontal it's certain keys and when I'm vertical mode it's a different set of keys that are inoperable.

Those spots are not dead as I can interact with apps and other touch functions and I'm holding off calling Apple as this may be faster to fix via SA.

That is almost certainly a software issue. Try a hard reset and if that doesn't work, wipe/reinstall OS, but don't load a backup. If issue goes away, load backup and see what happens.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
I have an iPad Pro 10.5 that I got for “reasons” but never use. My oldest is starting kindergarten in a couple weeks so I decided to give it to her. I made her a child account and reset the iPad then set it up with her credentials and all is working as intended. Apart from abcmouse are there any must have apps for 5 year olds? She’s getting a chrome book through school but we want to supplement with the iPad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

stoopidmunkey posted:

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 that I got for “reasons” but never use. My oldest is starting kindergarten in a couple weeks so I decided to give it to her. I made her a child account and reset the iPad then set it up with her credentials and all is working as intended. Apart from abcmouse are there any must have apps for 5 year olds? She’s getting a chrome book through school but we want to supplement with the iPad

What does she like to do? There is a whole world of educational and age-specific kid apps, as well as “creation” apps at various price points and skill/seriousness levels for stuff like photography, filmmaking, drawing, painting, animating, etc. Lots of good music making and teaching apps for kids and adults. Also stuff like Star Walk or inaturalist, etc.

I’d also put in a plug for some of the more education-focused streaming services: curiositystream/nebula/etc.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jose Oquendo posted:

My apologies. It's been a while since I've serviced any hardware, but they definitely used to have loaners. You're right though. Now it's just the express replacement.

edit: Looks like they still do have loaners for certain iPhone repairs, but I think those are only for repairs done at Apple Stores or AASP (and if they end up doing a mail-in repair). Not applicable to your scenario either way. Sorry, goon.

I've done several things that involve a "pre-swap" system, such as the time that I sent in on my wireless headset under warranty, so don't feel bad - it most definitely happens. I am in a bad pandemic area and all of the apple stores within hundreds of miles are closed. Best Buy just sends it back too (I checked) and so does Batteries Plus. There is one place that will do it locally but they told me that it may crack the screen, in which case it is $230, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Edit: I honestly started looking at new iPads, but all of the high-memory models are very expensive, so bleh.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 19, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I've done several things that involve a "pre-swap" system, such as the time that I sent in on my wireless headset under warranty, so don't feel bad - it most definitely happens. I am in a bad pandemic area and all of the apple stores within hundreds of miles are closed. Best Buy just sends it back too (I checked) and so does Batteries Plus. There is one place that will do it locally but they told me that it may crack the screen, in which case it is $230, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Edit: I honestly started looking at new iPads, but all of the high-memory models are very expensive, so bleh.

You said the iPad is for work. Does your employer have a device, even if it's not an iPad, that you can borrow?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jose Oquendo posted:

You said the iPad is for work. Does your employer have a device, even if it's not an iPad, that you can borrow?

No, it's one I bought with my own money, it's just integral to how I do my work and even moreso as we are largely remote due to the pandemic. Our budget was cut a great deal as well and equipment is at a premium. It's just very bad timing and my not realising that the Apple stores were closed. The battery life was somewhat diminished (it's 5 years old, after all) a few months ago, but suddenly in the last few weeks it's become genuinely bad. Basically, a few things that were my fault and many others that were not all happened at the same time. I never thought that it would be so hard just to put a battery in something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

stoopidmunkey posted:

5 is tough because as you probably already know they're too old for the baby games but not old enough to read well.
Plus you have the problem that all mobile games are filled with crap like IAP that the child doesn't grok.

Looking at my kid's iPad, she's not into much at the moment. Recently she has done Khan Kids (needs internet) and Teach Your Monster To Read.
Games are Crossy Road (not quite capable enough for that yet), Toca School, and Dr Panda's Restaurant.
Lately she is more into taking photos and sending them (with a billion emojis) to Mum/Me/Grandma/Older Cousin.