Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

None of these blackouts are related to PG&E's (lack of) line maintenance. They're directed by the California ISO because total power generation + reserve is smaller than demand across the grid.

Comparing to something like Italy, California has more power from wind+solar (which is good), but they're less consistent than a natural gas plant. Capitalism won't build more generating capacity since it wouldn't be profitable, but even under Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism, I'm not sure that building power plants that will only be used to cover a few hours of blackouts every 5 years or so is a good use of resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rah! posted:

I feel like Morocco's climate is a better match than Italy, seeing as lots of CA is desert. Death Valley is about as harsh a climate as you can find on earth. The US snowfall record was set in the Sierra Nevada too, so there is some extreme poo poo in CA, but those areas are mostly unpopulated and 90% of people live in Mediterranean climate zones. Anyways, i bet morocco has fewer fires than us too and yeah PG&E executives deserve the guillotine

I lived at Edwards AFB for the first 10 years of my life, and let me tell ya, Death Valley isn’t really all that bad. That being said, the vast majority of people in California live in areas with very similar climates to Italia.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

7% of homes in Italy have an AC unit, 71% in the US. If Italy installed to our capacity tomorrow guess who can't meet their electrical demand in a heatwave.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

7% of homes in Italy have an AC unit, 71% in the US. If Italy installed to our capacity tomorrow guess who can't meet their electrical demand in a heatwave.

True! But California has also had 50 years to bring that capacity up to working standards.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm sure it also has nothing to do with everyone being such in their houses, using their personal AC systems, instead of being at work with large industrial HVAC systems that are generally much more consistent load wise, and far more efficient with respect to cooling a given person/sqft.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm sure it also has nothing to do with everyone being such in their houses, using their personal AC systems, instead of being at work with large industrial HVAC systems that are generally much more consistent load wise, and far more efficient with respect to cooling a given person/sqft.

That's why the rolling blackouts are happening in the evenings when people were usually at the office.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

droll posted:

That's why the rolling blackouts are happening in the evenings when people were usually at the office.
Also on Saturdays and Sundays

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I lived at Edwards AFB for the first 10 years of my life, and let me tell ya, Death Valley isn’t really all that bad.

lol

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
However, in normal times, people could go to the mall or the movies for their AC, you can't really do that this year

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Eh, it really isn’t. I live in Pomona now and 100+F really doesn’t bother me all that much. :shrug:

I have also lived in West Michigan and I would take 110 in Death Valley over 90 in Michigan any day of the week.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Foxfire_ posted:

None of these blackouts are related to PG&E's (lack of) line maintenance. They're directed by the California ISO because total power generation + reserve is smaller than demand across the grid.

Comparing to something like Italy, California has more power from wind+solar (which is good), but they're less consistent than a natural gas plant. Capitalism won't build more generating capacity since it wouldn't be profitable, but even under Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism, I'm not sure that building power plants that will only be used to cover a few hours of blackouts every 5 years or so is a good use of resources.

Good news. They will be happening more and more frequently from this year forward until they are the new normal in the summer. So you'll have plenty of justification for building power plants.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, it really isn’t. I live in Pomona now and 100+F really doesn’t bother me all that much. :shrug:

I have also lived in West Michigan and I would take 110 in Death Valley over 90 in Michigan any day of the week.

its just 120 degrees in the shade, no big deal lmao

edit: https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1295170993879752704

Rah! fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 17, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

What the hell are you guys on about? A huge heatwave crushed Europe like 10 years ago and they think it's responsible for up to 70,000 deaths. There weren't widespread brownouts because almost no one in Europe has A/C in their homes. So yeah the power didn't go out but a shitload of people died.

We do share the European heatwave problem where everyone built these old houses to the climate of the time and they have no insulation in them. Now the heat comes and everyone needs AC for their old lovely homes and we don't have enough excess capacity to serve an outlier heatwave.

I was in France like 2-3 years ago when temperatures reached the 90's and people were dying by the dozen simply because there was nowhere they could go to cool off.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Yup, be careful comparing California of all places to anywhere in Europe. I lived in Switzerland for 5 years, and was there when a horrible heatwave* occurred and killed way more people then it should of since people there were completely unprepared for high temperatures. I remember it quite clearly because it started 6 days after my youngest daughter was born and the nurses were explaining to us what temperatures were safe for an infant, and meanwhile all the weather forecasts were way higher than those temperatures.

Europe is deceptive because it's a continent but the vast majority is in the same climate line (or even more North) than the Atlantic Northeast. Buildings and homes there are designed to survive cold winters, not warm summers. In Switzerland specifically, no buildings had air conditioning. Not homes, not commercial buildings, not retailers. That hospital my daughter was born in was the most advanced maternity hospital I've even seen and had mobile air conditioning units, but no central air. The university I worked at resisted installing central air into my labs until I had an engineer come in and write up a report that showed all my equipment would heat the room to 100F on a good day and that most of the equipment would fail to work at those temps. The reason they don't have electrical issues is that they don't use central climate control in their homes, which works when municipal radiator heat is used to keep people warm, but falls apart when temperatures go above the norm. And there is no where to escape to. You likely don't have a car since most people use the public transport (again without AC), and there are no air conditioned shopping centers like Walmart or the grocery store because even those buildings don't use AC. Most people depend on fans and opening their windows to keep cool, and that falls apart when even the nights are not cool.

*The horrible heatwave was a mild summer day here in SoCal. It was like in the high 90's for about 8 days, which was enough to cause their train rails to change shape and mis-align which crippled some of their train traffic, and to kill vulnerable people who couldn't find ways to keep cool.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 17, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Seeing dry lightning here tonight in Sac. 109 tomorrow.

I've never seen anything like this here so I guess we're at the confluence of 'more heat' and 'more tropical storms' aspects of climate change.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lightning in Napa/Healdsburg has started fires, some evacuations. Hopefully doesn't turn into a big one

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Seeing dry lightning here tonight in Sac. 109 tomorrow.

I've never seen anything like this here so I guess we're at the confluence of 'more heat' and 'more tropical storms' aspects of climate change.

The storm was loving amazing in Roseville. It's been a LONG time since I've seen one that awesome. Lightning lit up the whole sky.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was just on a work call for zoom and the 2 Orlando people were laughing at all of us for being mystified by a thunderstorm

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think thunderstorms are in my top 3 things I miss about living in Ohio, alongside lower COL and cooler guns.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Well I bet those Floridians would be mystified if they had a wildfire. Or an actor for governor. You know, California weather.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sorry, Florida also has wildfires, and as far as governors, just trust me, you don't want to go there.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/rvat2020/status/1295428131503964162
Yes, yes, never trump, still republican, etc. etc. Still pretty loving bad news to get direct confirmation of, especially as wildfire season revs up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

California: Florida of the West.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, one of the front office staff at my son's high school just tested positive after 3 days of school, so they made the office staff go remote for a while.

Not sure how some people expected to bring back 1000+ kids to campus to be totally cool.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

Look at this tool. Just look at it.

Now imagine a school looking at it and deciding "so you're saying there's a chance this can work?"

That's our current reality/reality-check life

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think thunderstorms are in my top 3 things I miss about living in Ohio, alongside lower COL and cooler guns.

As a gardener, I miss Midwestern topsoil so drat much. (glares at clay)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Still Dismal posted:

https://twitter.com/rvat2020/status/1295428131503964162
Yes, yes, never trump, still republican, etc. etc. Still pretty loving bad news to get direct confirmation of, especially as wildfire season revs up.

The unfortunate fact is that he can get away with it because yeah, he doesn't need to worry about losing California. This state is gonna continue to be on its own for Covid testing, unemployment, disaster relief, everything while Trump is in office.

The south seceded for less. Anyone who lives in California and votes for Trump is beyond stupid.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 17, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

adoration for none posted:

The unfortunate fact is that he can get away with it because yeah, he doesn't need to worry about losing California. This state is gonna continue to be on its own for Covid testing, unemployment, disaster relief, everything while Trump is in office.

The south seceded for less. Anyone who lives in California and votes for Trump is beyond stupid.

people who live in California and vote for Trump largely want California as it exists to be destroyed in its entirety. hth

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

people who live in California and vote for Trump largely want California as it exists to be destroyed in its entirety. hth

State of Jefferson voters

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they're all busy moving to texas and oregon anyways lol

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

HaVe YoU sEeN hOw ChEaP iT iS tO gEt A U-haul InTo CaLiFoRnIa vs. GeTtInG oNe OuT? EvErYoNe'S lEaViNg!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

*is a retired from 40 years working at the local water district, can't stop talking about how cheap gas is in Oklahoma*

Kenning fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 18, 2020

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

HaVe YoU sEeN hOw ChEaP iT iS tO gEt A U-haul InTo CaLiFoRnIa vs. GeTtInG oNe OuT? EvErYoNe'S lEaViNg!

lol at all the dumbass nazi youtube videos about the EXODUS FROM COMMIE CALIFORNIA when it's really just the white suburban chuds that are running away, and the population is actually still growing thanks to the birthrate and immigration (for now :heritage:)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just today had to deal with a dude talking about how bad Oakland is from his home in Modesto where he lives comfortably on a pension.

Talking about how broke the state is.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

All these millionaires fleeing high taxes by renting Uhaul

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Just today had to deal with a dude talking about how bad Oakland is from his home in Modesto where he lives comfortably on a pension.

Talking about how broke the state is.

A bunch of the people responsible for constantly dumping garbage in Oakland, come from cities like Modesto

then they use piles of garbage as part of their reasoning for why they hate Oakland.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rah! posted:

A bunch of the people responsible for constantly dumping garbage in Oakland, come from cities like Modesto

then they use piles of garbage as part of their reasoning for why they hate Oakland.

Like literally dumping garbage?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

Like literally dumping garbage?
yup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

What am I supposed to do, take it to the dump? The fees are outrageous! *gets in $80k truck, drives off*