Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know how anybody plays scalloped fretboards. You can't stabilize yourself against anything so it feels way too floaty.

Try writing on a piece of paper with a pen but you have to keep your hand suspended in air instead of resting on the desk. That's what it feels like to play scalloped fretboards. Why would you do that to yourself?

What do you mean "stabilize yourself"? It's not like you are carefully balancing the string at a perfect spot to make it work, you push down with your finger just like on a non-scalloped guitar.

I have a scalloped strat and it's a really sweet guitar to play. I suppose that if you are used to pushing down hard on the strings you can run into trouble, but the same goes for a jumbo fretted guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Spouse continues their movement toward acquiring All The Edge Gear with a Korg A3. Currently digging for the sysex dumps for the preset cards, because those fuckin things are expensive.

Extremely happy with the sound, though. Sad I got rid of my MP-1 now.

edit: sysex acquired and loaded. Anyone that ever says "presets are boring" can eat my entire rear end. This thing is the entire '90s Edge sound.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 1, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don't think I've ever played a guitar that didn't have jumbo frets. My acoustic maybe?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

rickiep00h posted:

Spouse continues their movement toward acquiring All The Edge Gear with a Korg A3. Currently digging for the sysex dumps for the preset cards, because those fuckin things are expensive.

Extremely happy with the sound, though. Sad I got rid of my MP-1 now.

edit: sysex acquired and loaded. Anyone that ever says "presets are boring" can eat my entire rear end. This thing is the entire '90s Edge sound.

I picked up a Ensoniq Esq-1 from a buddy of mine recently, and am eagerly awaiting a battery and a the 3d printed cartridge from ebay so I can start saving patches that aren't already are on it. The 8 bit wave forms are fantastic.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What do you mean "stabilize yourself"? It's not like you are carefully balancing the string at a perfect spot to make it work, you push down with your finger just like on a non-scalloped guitar.

I have a scalloped strat and it's a really sweet guitar to play. I suppose that if you are used to pushing down hard on the strings you can run into trouble, but the same goes for a jumbo fretted guitar.

Eh, it's different. Even with jumbo frets I can still feel the fretboard quite a bit. Maybe it's because I don't always fret every note with the tip of each of my fingers totally perpendicular to the fretboard. Either way, my brain is used to my fingers hitting the board fairly often, and with scalloped frets I can't feel the fretboard at all so it just feels weird and off to me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Having spent some time with the Captor X now the main take away for me is the internal modeling of cabs/speakers/mics is ok but IRs are so much better that you’ll probably never want to use the built-in modeling. For most of what I enjoy the Ownhammer Heavy Hitters packs are all I need save for an odd open back and or small speaker. If anyone has any other can’t-live-without cab/mic IRs please share the info with me. :)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Having spent some time with the Captor X now the main take away for me is the internal modeling of cabs/speakers/mics is ok but IRs are so much better that you’ll probably never want to use the built-in modeling. For most of what I enjoy the Ownhammer Heavy Hitters packs are all I need save for an odd open back and or small speaker. If anyone has any other can’t-live-without cab/mic IRs please share the info with me. :)

It's not a specific IR or collection of IRs, but Fractal Audio has this software called Cab Lab 3.0 that lets you mix and blend IRs together then export the results to an IR file, and I find it to be pretty invaluable. Most IRs sound kind of bad on their own but once you start combining a few "pretty good" ones then you start to get something way better than the sum of its parts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

It's not a specific IR or collection of IRs, but Fractal Audio has this software called Cab Lab 3.0 that lets you mix and blend IRs together then export the results to an IR file, and I find it to be pretty invaluable. Most IRs sound kind of bad on their own but once you start combining a few "pretty good" ones then you start to get something way better than the sum of its parts.

This rules, thank you!

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Got another Flying V, my 4th. This one doesn’t have a truss rod, but the neck seems good. I put fresh 12s on it and it comes to standard pitch with pretty normal tension. Sounds good, too! My kids love it. It needed lots of cleaning and a bit of adjustment, but it plays well all over the neck.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Squier VII, with some custom wound single coils from Lundgren here in Sweden. Been wanting one for a long time and got it in a trade this week.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Squier VII, with some custom wound single coils from Lundgren here in Sweden. Been wanting one for a long time and got it in a trade this week.

Every single time... there's just something about a 7th string on a strat body that makes my brain reboot. Any other body style and I probably wouldn't look twice.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

At first I was like whoa that neck is way out of alignment or something, a string is going straight down the midd... oohhhh!

VERY cool, 7 string hard tail Strat! Hell yes.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
Behold, my poor cable management skills. And poor photography skills, drat. The glare off the TE-2 is worse than I thought.

Anyway, the Tera Echo is new and the Infinity 2 looper is newish. Now I can play and loop in stereo. My only complaint so far is that the stereo in/out on the Tera Echo and Infinity are too close together for the flat patch cables I bought, so the setup isn't as compact as I hoped.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Scarf posted:

Every single time... there's just something about a 7th string on a strat body that makes my brain reboot. Any other body style and I probably wouldn't look twice.

Imagine a 7 string Tele.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

GreatGreen posted:

I never thought blending more than two IRs at once would ever be necessary but then I got STL Libra where you can have 8 at once with the cartesian mixer. Even the stock 8 that come with it give you a whole whack of possibilities.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Ownhammer packs come with blends of every conceivable mix of the cabs, mics and speakers. 8 sounds wild tho.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: gently caress wrong thread

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 12, 2020

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Picked up a Vintera Jaguar today. A Jaguar has been my grail guitar ever since I started playing and it's incredibly exciting to finally own one. So many neat tones just by flipping a switch. Wasn't really feeling the tortoise pickguard it originally came with as it made it the guitar way too busy for me so it got swapped with a white one. Much better. Still need to give it a setup but right now it's playing well up and down the neck. It's funny, I'm not usually a fan of gloss necks but this one really spoke to me.

Really liking the Ocean Turquoise Metallic finish. In some lights it's almost Sherwood Green and in other's it's pretty close to Lake Placid Blue. Just a lovely color.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That looks killer. I like the SS control plate at the top and how it fits with the white.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
That just reminded me of the GEAR MASTERS episode with the dude from Tropical gently caress Storm where he's showing off his beat-to-hell Jag like "I tore that bit out because it's fuckin' stupid and I hate it, I replaced this bit with sheet metal and replaced all of the insides with Gibson stuff, I like that you can drop it and not feel bad, the headstock has been snapped in half three times, this part doesn't work, it's my favorite possession."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z1WZDyLEHg

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I bought this thing Monday:

It's a Squier Paranormal something, basically a Tele with a jazzmaster body and a C shape neck. It sounds like I always wanted a Tele to sound and I love it. It plays good too, but it helps that the shop where I bought it is a cool place that set it up. And also included a checkup sheet three months.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I agree, that color is fantastic. Gorgeous guitar!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

BonHair posted:

I bought this thing Monday:

It's a Squier Paranormal something, basically a Tele with a jazzmaster body and a C shape neck. It sounds like I always wanted a Tele to sound and I love it. It plays good too, but it helps that the shop where I bought it is a cool place that set it up. And also included a checkup sheet three months.
I really like this a lot. Jazzmaster body w/o its terrible loving bridge/trem situation. Beautiful! (wish they made them in LH :argh: )

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice guitars all around everyone

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I love Jaguars, but I saw a used Squier jazzmaster for dirt cheap so I got it. But it needed some work.

I changed it look more original:

Put on a new pickguard, knobs, and pickguard cover.

It had a big chip in the body:

I filled it with wood filler, sanded it, painted it with nail polish paint, and then a clear coat lacquer

I lubricated the nut, treated the fretboard, adjusted intonation, and put on new strings. It already came with the tuneomatic style bridge and thats staying on.

I love the sound of the pickups, the scale length, the color, and the more standard electronics setup.

Now i’m looking for a tremolo bar that will fit, and a cream color pickup toggle switch tip.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Nice Jazzmaster! Candy Apple Red looks so good on an offset body. Do you know what model and year was it made? Some models use a screw-in trem arm instead of a pop in.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
What version of the Squier Jazzmaster is it?

The bridge and vibrato placement make it look like either a J Mascis (but it's the wrong colour) or a Classic Player (but it's the wrong brand)

Edit: Oh, I guess it's this one

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

NBD

Ibanez SRMD200K “Mezzo” bass

32” medium scale bass, passive PJ pickups with an active 2-band eq/booster that’s ok. Going to see about setting it to a passive tone circuit. It’s fun to play, is almost brand new and only cost $125. I’m not a bass player by any means so doing Steve Harris runs at glacial speed in order to slowly build my chops is tough but I welcome the challenge.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Imagine a 7 string Tele.
Doesn't Stef from the Deftones have a pickguard-less version of a tele as one of his signature 7-strings?

e: Nope, it comes with a pickguard!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I got an mim jazz bass from a friend for $350

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Lovely

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yo'! Is that a loving Toronado in the middle?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I got an mim jazz bass from a friend for $350

Beautiful! Is the JM American or Japanese?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Beautiful! Is the JM American or Japanese?

It's an American Original JM. It's the finest instrument I've ever owned and I love it to pieces.

Wark Say posted:

Yo'! Is that a loving Toronado in the middle?

It is! I got it about two months ago. I LOVE IT. I want to slap some new pickups in it though. Something more vintage sounding.
They're pretty rare so if you're ever around the SF bay area and want to try one out hit me up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lefty, unfortunately. :cry:

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

It's an American Original JM. It's the finest instrument I've ever owned and I love it to pieces.

It is! I got it about two months ago. I LOVE IT. I want to slap some new pickups in it though. Something more vintage sounding.
They're pretty rare so if you're ever around the SF bay area and want to try one out hit me up.

I have the same Toronado in red. One of my favorite guitars ever. If you do swap pickups, I will gladly buy the set of Atomics off of you. I'm considering a Jazzmaster build and I'm planning on going HH with atomics.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Whoa, just realized the Fender Toronado and Ibanez Talman are pretty drat similar.

Wark Say posted:

Lefty, unfortunately. :cry:
:same: :cry:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

betterinsodapop posted:

Whoa, just realized the Fender Toronado and Ibanez Talman are pretty drat similar.
:same: :cry:

:same: :cry: we can never have nice things :cry:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

monolithburger posted:

:same: :cry: we can never have nice things :cry:

:same: But I am more torn up about the cool basses than the cool guitars. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004