Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the entire game is programmed on a dwarven computer

it's dwarrow all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tias posted:

Fffrrrrgh

So I don't like using DFprospect because finding ores for myself is fun, and then I embark a place that has deep and shallow metals, and I find.. nothing. Prospect command then reveals that there are no ores :psydwarf:
Guess you're gonna have to rely on goblinite ore.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ditched it :)

Now I got a good thing going, but am suddenly ambushed by a gang of dead goblins and two "faint butchers". What the hell is a faint butcher?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Probably a necromancer experiment. A new type of creature created by foul sorcery. Some of them are pushovers some are nigh unstoppable.

Think Orcs being created by Mortgoth from tortured elves but randomised.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

My last world had "Hands of Erith" that were split tailed lizard freaks that crawled around on all fours. I wish the legends screen made it easier to see these weirdos.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tias posted:

Now I got a good thing going, but am suddenly ambushed by a gang of dead goblins and two "faint butchers". What the hell is a faint butcher?
Higher undead, basically zombie lieutenants with special powers. Faint Butcher is one of the random names your world can generate for those. Be careful about them, some of the powers they can generate with are incredibly lethal.

You can tell them from the necromancer experiments, which are often relatively harmless, by the way they aren't called "X of Whatever."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

A legally distinct Fell Butcher? :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, if you told me that he is coding this game on a programmable Texas Instruments pocket calculator, I would believe it.

The only reason I wouldn't is that he must have something reasonable just to be able to play the goddamn thing when it starts drowning itself on CPU cycles.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Any known bug with brewing? I have three brewers with labors freed and nothing else to do (listed as "no job" in activity), fruits and plants to brew from, as well as available barrels, and still they're not brewing :confused:

E: nm, now they've started. Took their sweet time, though!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fresh problems!

My newly expired animal trainer was buried as custom dictates, and everyone is happy! Except.. he is both buried and his partial skeleton is lying around a workshop scaring people and stinking the joint up. How do I get them to bury his remaining remains?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to carry those over to the coffin as well. Do you have enough corpse haulers? Are the coffin and the corpse bits both accessible and in the same burrow? Any locked doors?

You can also inspect the corpse and see if it's marked for a task. If so, the problem is simply that the selected hauler for that duty is far away, slow as gently caress, and probably quick to tire.

If your dwarves are just straight up ignoring this dude's bones then I don't know what the hell. Maybe deconstruct the workshop?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it might be that your orders are set to have dwarves ignore outside refuse and the corpse is considered outside

Tias
May 25, 2008

deconstructing the workshop worked, after a fashion. I had to dump the partial skeleton in a locked room to prevent it creeping the rest out, and then at some point someone buried it!

New problem: one of my dwarves got a dehydrated warning, and eventually died from dehydration. He had freedom of movement, plenty of food and drink available (big drink stockpile, access to river and cistern well), and no other dwarves complained of needs - I haven't had a beast arrive yet, so no syndrome.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tias posted:

deconstructing the workshop worked, after a fashion. I had to dump the partial skeleton in a locked room to prevent it creeping the rest out, and then at some point someone buried it!

New problem: one of my dwarves got a dehydrated warning, and eventually died from dehydration. He had freedom of movement, plenty of food and drink available (big drink stockpile, access to river and cistern well), and no other dwarves complained of needs - I haven't had a beast arrive yet, so no syndrome.

Is it possible they failed a mood a long time ago, or that they were depressed?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Could also be that the deceased was mildly injured and really, really, really determined to wait until someone brought them water instead of just drinking hard liquor like a reasonable dwarf. I've had that happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I haven't played this in almost a decade -- what are the current best resources for re-learning how to play fortress mode?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I haven't played this in almost a decade -- what are the current best resources for re-learning how to play fortress mode?

I feel like watching youtube videos of people playing is a good way to acclimatize yourself to playstyles and techniques in general; knowing what you can and should be doing is a great benefit beyond "knowing what buttons do what".

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Also pick up a pack like PeridexisErrant's starter pack if you haven't already.

They contain a few helper apps like Dwarf Therapist that might not have been around the last time you played but make the game much more playable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8X100Ea0uY

this one seems good to me, I've been going through it

it even guides you through recommend options on the starter pack

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What monster would turn off the intro animation, it totally sets the mood! I'm curious what the UI version will be, I hope it starts the old way and then starts digging into the new style to show the brave new era we're entering

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Be like me and watch Kruggsmash, then remember that you loved playing this game and then, VVV

Capntastic posted:

I feel like watching youtube videos of people playing is a good way to acclimatize yourself to playstyles and techniques in general; knowing what you can and should be doing is a great benefit beyond "knowing what buttons do what".

Get fortress ideas from other youtubers and such.

Don't forget failing is fun!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Imo the best way to learn is to jump in and just pause whenever you need to look something up. I find this method at the very least helps me quickly build up the muscle memory for construction and designation because I'm not slow rolling.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Toady One posted:

Been working on various matter - display support for various of the creatures and their child/undead variants, first attempt at the giant mushrooms underground, and a variety of items that weren't yet supported.

Here's the minimap I mentioned in the last dev log:

Minimap

Minimap (animated)

We're continuing to experiment with bringing some information out from the status screen, as seen above the static image there.

Meph also brought us to the world of guts! Here are some placeholder dwarves that have had a run-in with my debug tools:

Contents under pressure

In the graphical version, they don't drag two tiles behind, since that would look even more ridiculous, ha ha. So there will be rare mechanical differences after all! In this case, it seemed fine.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Oh poo poo a mini-map I can actually read.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

im getting jealous that the game is becoming accessible now to normies.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm excited to be the elder dwarf to all the newcomers, regaling them with stories of the days before Z-levels, or the scourge of landwalking zombie carp, or even just how a wild goat and a goblin whip wielder looked exactly the same until one of your dwarves' hand flew off

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I kinda miss the no-Z-axis days. Probably the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia because I can't really think of anything the 2d version did better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It was certainly easier to navigate. Z levels make for a better game if you can actually see the third dimension without having to flip through it one flat slice at a time.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Yeah, there's a ton of cool content that's been added since, but I still really miss the seasonal flooding and Nile-style farming. :shobon:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I really liked the progression of the river, chasm, and then magma. I liked the little dangers each one would bring and wish stuff like flooding rivers were still a thing.

It had some neat ideas but I don't know that I'd like to go back.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it's not like you couldn't force the world to generate very flat. If you can somehow set it up to generate enough ore on every z-level to support an entire fort all by itself, then you could play a classic-style single level fort just fine.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really miss chasms, it was nice having somewhere to biff your garbage or divert water without atomsmashing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It would be kind of nice if those could exist in the game as a regular terrain feature. I can't remember ever running into any deep underground canyons that might be comparable, but every so often randomly running into a giant crack in the world that runs almost down to the adamantine layer would be pretty drat cool.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It would be kind of nice if those could exist in the game as a regular terrain feature. I can't remember ever running into any deep underground canyons that might be comparable, but every so often randomly running into a giant crack in the world that runs almost down to the adamantine layer would be pretty drat cool.

The thing is these existed in earlier Z level versions! I don't know why he took out surface Chasms and Pits since they were always my favorite embarks during 40d.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

7c Nickel posted:

The thing is these existed in earlier Z level versions! I don't know why he took out surface Chasms and Pits since they were always my favorite embarks during 40d.

They stopped fitting once the world started having an actual bottom. As funny as an instant path to the circus on embark would be on paper, it would probably be less fun in practice

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that's a shame. It was probably pathfinding issues, if I had to guess. Z-levels were already hard enough for dwarves to navigate reliably for a good while even without big ol' random holes to hell all over the place.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Danaru posted:

They stopped fitting once the world started having an actual bottom. As funny as an instant path to the circus on embark would be on paper, it would probably be less fun in practice

So just have them stop at layer 1 2 or 3. I understand that you can't have the same "bottomless abyss" tiles as before, but there's no reason you can't have a big ol crack in the earth to design around. I loved designing fortresses that spanned both sides with 50 open toppped bridges and making dwarves have to fight batmen on their morning commute.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

An open pit to the magma sea is perfectly reasonable.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I kind of miss the demon vaults. They had more flavor than hell to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Hell is actually super loving boring. Who knew?