Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Nastier Nate posted:

You want me to stick that cotton swab WHERE?

it’s sound medical advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chamale posted:

For years, all of America's nuclear warheads were protected by the password 00000000

yeah, but to get to where you needed to put in that password, you had to get into the silo, the silo launch room and then turn both launch keys

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wheeee posted:

also dealing with drones will likely be more important in the future than missiles

”Drones” are just low energy missiles.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is it anyone else's pet peeve when the media refer to things as robots that are 100% remote controlled by a human? It's bothered me ever since 'BattleBots' on TV in the 90s. Also as far as I can tell the difference between a "RC plane" and a "drone" is a couple of commas in the price.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The correct term is "vegan cyborg"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Nastier Nate posted:

You want me to stick that cotton swab WHERE?

to make sure we're actually who we say we are, we had to spit into a tube for the covid test over zoom. i am not investigating further.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

V. Illych L. posted:

didn't someone attach a nuclear warhead to a submarine-launchable torpedo or did i dream that

deeply cyberpunk weapon, that

yes, definitely, though for something more recent you may also be thinking of the Status-6, a Russian project for a nuclear-powered drone submarine with possible planned supercavitation capability that would deliver an atomic warhead to its target.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

redleader posted:

back in the day, they attached nukes to everything they could get their hands on

the torpedo nuke was designed to take out entire carrier battle groups and/or harbours in one shot

Waaay back in the day, they knew that missiles were the future of air-to-air combat but they couldn't get this 'guidance' thing to work reliably. So they said "gently caress it", stripped out the unreliable guidance systems, and just put a loving nuke in the tip. You shoot it sort of vaguely nearish your target and let the blastwave do the rest.

The Lone Badger has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Aug 18, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i love abandoned shopping malls. i want to live in one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

Waaay back in the day, they knew that missiles were the future of air-to-air combat but they couldn't get this 'guidance' thing to work reliably. So they said "gently caress it", stripped out the unreliable guidance systems, and just put a loving nuke in the tip. You shoot it sort of vaguely nearish your target and let the blastwave do the rest.

the AIR-2 Genie, which could also probably serve as an effective air-to-genie missile if necessary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie

it took until 1984 for someone to ask "wait why do we still have these"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redleader posted:

yeah but those shootings are done by the right kinds of people. witness the difference between 9/11, benghazi, etc (foreigners) and school shootings (americans)

This is 100% true and I think we're on the cusp of the RWM just plain calling them patriots at this point.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i love abandoned shopping malls. i want to live in one.
There was a rumor last year that our university campus was going to be moving to the nearly dead local mall. With some renovation, it would have been amazing (no, I didn't FOIA documents and redraw them as blueprints for a university campus, that would be silly since there was just what was confirmed to be a baseless rumor.)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Chamale posted:

For years, all of America's nuclear warheads were protected by the password 00000000

the movie wargames prompted the pentagon to take infosec seriously, and the story is basically as stupid as anything from 2020

quote:

At one point, he put down his index cards and asked if anyone else had seen it. No one had, so he described the plot in detail. Some of the lawmakers looked around the room with suppressed smiles or raised eyebrows. Three months earlier, Reagan had delivered his “Star Wars” speech, imploring scientists to build laser weapons that could shoot down Soviet missiles in outer space. The idea was widely dismissed as nutty. What was the old man up to now?

After finishing his synopsis, Reagan turned to Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and asked: “Could something like this really happen?” Could someone break into our most sensitive computers? General Vessey said he would look into it.

One week later, the general returned to the White House with his answer. “WarGames,” it turned out, wasn’t far-fetched. “Mr. president,” he said, “the problem is much worse than you think.”

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
part of the problem the US military (and in fact I think we can guess other militaries have this going on too) is that while the nuclear mission is seen as vital to national security and defense policy, it sucks as a job. the USAF has trouble staffing the missile wings that run the silos with good people because very few people actually want to spend their time in the service hanging out in a bunker buried under North Dakota, and it also sucks for your career because, by definition, your job is not to do anything but maintain a high level of readiness, so it’s not as good on your resume as other jobs are. so next time you think about how the US maintains 400+ missiles with each bearing a warhead 20 times the power of the Hiroshima bomb, also think about how a lot of the people responsible for maintaining them and preparing for their use are there because they didn’t manage to get out of doing it, and would much rather be somewhere else.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Pirate Radar posted:

part of the problem the US military (and in fact I think we can guess other militaries have this going on too) is that while the nuclear mission is seen as vital to national security and defense policy, it sucks as a job. the USAF has trouble staffing the missile wings that run the silos with good people because very few people actually want to spend their time in the service hanging out in a bunker buried under North Dakota, and it also sucks for your career because, by definition, your job is not to do anything but maintain a high level of readiness, so it’s not as good on your resume as other jobs are. so next time you think about how the US maintains 400+ missiles with each bearing a warhead 20 times the power of the Hiroshima bomb, also think about how a lot of the people responsible for maintaining them and preparing for their use are there because they didn’t manage to get out of doing it, and would much rather be somewhere else.

isn't this why they keep getting busted doing psychedelic drugs

edit: in all fairness I can't comprehend the kind of trip you might have if you were actually at that level of readiness all the time

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I feel like tripping three feet away from the button that ends the world is not the best way to ensure you have a comfortable trip

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

blatman posted:

I feel like tripping three feet away from the button that ends the world is not the best way to ensure you have a comfortable trip

I'd lube up my rear end in a top hat and ride the button like a dong so hard

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Honestly I wouldn't hit the button. Our nuclear stockpile rn can't kill all life on earth eg. ocean trenches, remote areas, human bunkers. We'd have to crack the planet open or something to really make sure sentient life never has the utter misfortune of existing in a dead universe again. If we're wiping out life I want to do it right.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gimme solid broadband and deliveries of Doritos and I’ll sit in your poo poo bunker pretending that I’ll push the button when we’re under attack for years at a time :goonsay:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yeah not a chance in hell thats the original one.

dude tells that story so goddamn good

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sing Along posted:

isn't this why they keep getting busted doing psychedelic drugs

edit: in all fairness I can't comprehend the kind of trip you might have if you were actually at that level of readiness all the time

it’s also why they keep getting busted cheating on examinations, because there’s a strong conflict between:
1. This is an important job so we have high standards for it
and
2. This job sucks, so smart people don’t want to do it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/BadFoxGraphics/status/1291688848163049472

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

its hosed up how each and every one of these usernames has an actual person behind it posting from maybe hundreds of thousands of km away . Thats pretty cyberpunk if you ask me

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

e-dt posted:

its hosed up how each and every one of these usernames has an actual person behind it posting from maybe hundreds of thousands of km away . Thats pretty cyberpunk if you ask me

It thinks it's people

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

e-dt posted:

every poster on this website is a bot i made entirely to convince you specifically that people still post on early 2000s era message boards

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

e-dt posted:

It's freakier to me when a goon talks about something in my immediate neighborhood. I could have walked right by one and never known.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blockade posted:

It's freakier to me when a goon talks about something in my immediate neighborhood. I could have walked right by one and never known.

I just pooped in your mailbox, OP

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what ever happened to that lovely bot that existed to widen and redden jpgs

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Did they figure out the power supply issue on those lasers?

Probably going to put them on satellites to prevent them from being knocked out of the sky.

Anyone "fighting" the US will target the communication and gps satellites.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

tanned laura loomer

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

e-dt posted:

don't worry about me, I dehumanized myself and faced to bloodshed years ago. now i am a person shaped hole in the world.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

uber_stoat posted:

don't worry about me, I dehumanized myself and faced to bloodshed years ago. now i am a person shaped hole in the world.
Weird, I'm a person shaped world in a hole.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

T-man posted:

Honestly I wouldn't hit the button. Our nuclear stockpile rn can't kill all life on earth eg. ocean trenches, remote areas, human bunkers. We'd have to crack the planet open or something to really make sure sentient life never has the utter misfortune of existing in a dead universe again. If we're wiping out life I want to do it right.

If the goal is to end all life on the planet, the method that's closest to feasibility is to nudge a bunch of good-sized asteroids onto Earth-impact trajectories.

But you'll need a crapload of impactors if you want to be 100% certain of getting ALL life, even those extremophile bacteria that live off of volcanic vents in the deep oceans. If you're content to only wipe out, say, all multicellular life, you can get away with using a lot fewer. And if it makes you feel any better about this option, those leftover bacteria won't have time to evolve into anything intelligent. The Sun is getting brighter all the time, and even though it won't hit the full-on Red Giant phase for another five billion years, in only a tenth of that time it'll already be bright enough to boil the oceans.

In other words: Look at the bright side, the history of life on Earth is already 90% over.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

uber_stoat posted:

ur hole is meant for me :wiggle:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

T-man posted:

Right, we just need a 10GT bomb. The man behind the original thermonuclear design proposed such a thing.
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2012/09/12/in-search-of-a-bigger-boom/
https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&kt=10000000&lat=38.8946925&lng=-77.0218993&airburst=0&hob_ft=0&psi=3000,200,20,5,1&zm=9

If that map doesn't load it computes the fireball from such a thing extending from the middle of DC to annapolis and a fatal radiation dose covering the entire planet.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

tanned laura loomer

Less hot Dana Loesch

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Right, we just need a 10GT bomb. The man behind the original thermonuclear design proposed such a thing.
http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2012/09/12/in-search-of-a-bigger-boom/
https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&kt=10000000&lat=38.8946925&lng=-77.0218993&airburst=0&hob_ft=0&psi=3000,200,20,5,1&zm=9

If that map doesn't load it computes the fireball from such a thing extending from the middle of DC to annapolis and a fatal radiation dose covering the entire planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqGnAIgzUTY

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

duz posted:

yeah, but to get to where you needed to put in that password, you had to get into the silo, the silo launch room and then turn both launch keys

Which was not as hard as it sounds because silo teams would often leave the giant vault doors propped open

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

duz posted:

Richard Pryor managed it while drunk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kitfox88 posted:

gimme solid broadband and deliveries of Doritos and I’ll sit in your poo poo bunker pretending that I’ll push the button when we’re under attack for years at a time :goonsay:

One nuclear weapons base didn't have any entertainment options, so the airmen put nuclear weapons on forklifts and played chicken. The DoE investigation into multiple warheads that got damaged from this activity recommended supplying the base with TVs and alcohol.