Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

vaginite posted:

Tbf if my company had an internal facebook I'd immediately have a few dozen troll and/or gimmick accounts.

Nah, it would be like the internal portal at my work where you can only log in using your employee ID. You can call yourself whatever you want but IT and HR both know who you are at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fowl language has had some really good stuff, yeah.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
trump voters realizing their church is going to die under trump

QAnon: The alternative religion that’s coming to your church

Mark Fugitt, senior pastor of Round Grove Baptist Church in Miller, Missouri, recently sat down to count the conspiracy theories that people in his church are sharing on Facebook. The list was long. It included claims that 5G radio waves are used for mind control; that George Floyd’s murder is a hoax; that Bill Gates is related to the devil; that masks can kill you; that the germ theory isn’t real; and that there might be something to Pizzagate after all.

“You don’t just see it once,” said Fugitt. “If there’s ever anything posted, you’ll see it five to 10 times. It’s escalating for sure.”
“My fear … is that Jesus would not be co-opted by conspiracy theories in a way that leads the next generation to throw Jesus out with the bathwater,” Stacy said, “that we’re not able to separate the narrative of taking back our country from Jesus’ kingdom narrative.”

Others are concerned the theories will become grounds for more mistrust. “Young people are exiting the church because they see their parents and mentors and pastors and Sunday school teachers spreading things that even at a young age they can see through,” said Jeb Barr, the senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Elm Mott outside Waco, Texas. He said conspiracy theories are “extremely widespread and getting worse” among his online church networks.

“Why would we listen to my friend Joe … who’s telling me about Jesus who also thinks that Communists are taking over America and operating a pedophile ring out of a pizza restaurant? … Why would we be believed?”

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

trump voters realizing their church is going to die under trump

QAnon: The alternative religion that’s coming to your church

Mark Fugitt, senior pastor of Round Grove Baptist Church in Miller, Missouri, recently sat down to count the conspiracy theories that people in his church are sharing on Facebook. The list was long. It included claims that 5G radio waves are used for mind control; that George Floyd’s murder is a hoax; that Bill Gates is related to the devil; that masks can kill you; that the germ theory isn’t real; and that there might be something to Pizzagate after all.

“You don’t just see it once,” said Fugitt. “If there’s ever anything posted, you’ll see it five to 10 times. It’s escalating for sure.”
“My fear … is that Jesus would not be co-opted by conspiracy theories in a way that leads the next generation to throw Jesus out with the bathwater,” Stacy said, “that we’re not able to separate the narrative of taking back our country from Jesus’ kingdom narrative.”

Others are concerned the theories will become grounds for more mistrust. “Young people are exiting the church because they see their parents and mentors and pastors and Sunday school teachers spreading things that even at a young age they can see through,” said Jeb Barr, the senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Elm Mott outside Waco, Texas. He said conspiracy theories are “extremely widespread and getting worse” among his online church networks.

“Why would we listen to my friend Joe … who’s telling me about Jesus who also thinks that Communists are taking over America and operating a pedophile ring out of a pizza restaurant? … Why would we be believed?”

it’s funny because Qanon is probably more credible than the Jesus myth and the way most Americans churches treat it frankly where Jesus is somehow a white American is decidedly more absurd. and these pastors don’t ask if indoctrinating people with a ridiculous theory and teaching them faith over facts somehow made them more influencable with absurd notions.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

“Young people are exiting the church because they see their parents and mentors and pastors and Sunday school teachers spreading things that even at a young age they can see through,”

lmao, yes, unlike the bible, which sounds completely reasonable.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao aside from the last bit this is what American churches have been telling Americans since like 1917

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, we teach them that you can get stripped animals by making their parents gently caress in front of a stripe pattern and convince them that when they die they get to do whatever makes them happy forever and ever and now they're somehow falling for these crazy and obvious falsehoods
Who could have predicted this crossover?!

Pizza gate is crazy, don't believe such nonsense a child could see through! Also, demons and angels are real and all around you!

Big brains on these ones.

(yeah, I know, a frightening number of liberal folk are into this voodoo bs too; doesn't make is any less funny to watch these idiots selling lies getting mad about other idiots selling other lies)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Christianity started as a crank conspiracy theory. A thousand years from now, Q will be the dominant religion.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nothus posted:

A thousand years from now, Q will be the dominant religion.

is this an optimistic or pessimistic prediction

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, maybe more like 10 years

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The rate at which Americans (especially young Americans) are turning their backs on Christianity is the single biggest uncovered story in America.

Full deets here: https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Something is going to fill the void, especially with more people shut out of consumerism

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

FMguru posted:

The rate at which Americans (especially young Americans) are turning their backs on Christianity is the single biggest uncovered story in America.

Full deets here: https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

the problem is by the time there's enough of a die-off/religious abandonment it'll be too late to really fix things

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Not death but maybe he'll die alone and penniless now

https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1295726083342508033

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pennsylvania has less than 8 million registered voters and an 800,000+ margin for the Democrats according to registrations

Any hint of being a swing state is due to legislature level clusterfuck gerrymandering.

Trump won the state by fewer people than fit in a USL soccer stadium and after the Wisconsin ballot excavation I don't take any of that poo poo seriously.

Democrats outnumber Republicans by 100k in Kentucky. Voter registration is a useless indicator because people will switch over to a different party without switching their registration because they were never the kind of person who voted in primaries. Both campaigns are treating it as a swing state this year.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol, excellent

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Democrats outnumber Republicans by 100k in Kentucky. Voter registration is a useless indicator because people will switch over to a different party without switching their registration because they were never the kind of person who voted in primaries. Both campaigns are treating it as a swing state this year.

This is only a factor in the South where you still have crusted over Dixiecrats who never switched parties. That's not a factor in Pennsylvania.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

there were more registered Dems in those states in 2016 too, who gives a poo poo? You can have eleventy thousand billion people registered as a member of your party in these states but if you suck poo poo and give them no reason to turn out for you you'll still lose

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Love when dudes that look like that try to rip on women for their appearance.

What a loving loser lol.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why is psychobilly/rockabilly so reactionary?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Voting Republican when you have a unionized government job is insane.

My current argument for how people can think this way:

Those people who are like this: honestly believe that they can become a farmer, or
come from a farming family. The nature of union work is easy street to them and
a good chunk of money. But The feel like they can say "gently caress it all" and go live off
the land whenever they want..

They want no government at all. How much they understand what government does,
varies? Like some probably don't even realize that the air is as relatively clean as it is
due to regulations. They want EMP bombs to go off and return everybody to working,
hard, off the land.

They also chuckle to themselves as they see themselves using a system against
itself to ruin it.

Don't know fully. These thoughts can change.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Forceholy posted:

It panders to an 80s nostalgia?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Forceholy posted:

isn’t rockabilly mostly “wow the 50s were great!!!!”

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the milk machine posted:

it is white privilege cosplay, yes

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

the milk machine posted:

That makes sense. I have never seen a minority rockabilly

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

My current argument for how people can think this way:

Those people who are like this: honestly believe that they can become a farmer, or
come from a farming family. The nature of union work is easy street to them and
a good chunk of money. But The feel like they can say "gently caress it all" and go live off
the land whenever they want..

They want no government at all. How much they understand what government does,
varies? Like some probably don't even realize that the air is as relatively clean as it is
due to regulations. They want EMP bombs to go off and return everybody to working,
hard, off the land.

They also chuckle to themselves as they see themselves using a system against
itself to ruin it.

Don't know fully. These thoughts can change.

i think it's simpler than that. the entire premise of the american dream is that you can work hard and live well. you have all of popular culture and media showing you people doing no work and living better than you. so despite the fact that you have a union job with benefits better than 90% of workers in the country, you're comparing yourself to fictionalized "entrepreneurs" and "self-made" millionaires. you know you work harder than them, but you don't reap the same benefits, so it must be some external force holding you back. then you look at your pay stub, and see negative values under "taxes" and "union dues" and you have an organized movement telling you that if those negative values were lower, you'd be richer and happier

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Japanese rockabillies are the ideal aesthetic. Google that poo poo.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

the milk machine posted:

Going off of scruffi:
Rockabilly was 50's music: Elvis, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent

Psychobilly is the 80's after the movie American graffiti, people pulled out rock music and twisted it: the cramps, the meters.

https://www.scaruffi.com/history/alpha.html

chapter on rock music- https://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt11.html

Chapter on American graffiti- https://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt44.html

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

i think it's simpler than that. the entire premise of the american dream is that you can work hard and live well. you have all of popular culture and media showing you people doing no work and living better than you. so despite the fact that you have a union job with benefits better than 90% of workers in the country, you're comparing yourself to fictionalized "entrepreneurs" and "self-made" millionaires. you know you work harder than them, but you don't reap the same benefits, so it must be some external force holding you back. then you look at your pay stub, and see negative values under "taxes" and "union dues" and you have an organized movement telling you that if those negative values were lower, you'd be richer and happier

Kind of avoiding a sub argument, but you pulled it out.
I don't think they are American.

I don't think they have any allegiance to any country.
They are people who want to go back to a simpler
time.

Pulling these arugments from American nations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6czzx6CaGE :

These values you are describing are dutch values given to New Yorkers.

I think these people are Hillbillies / appalachion people, who were given their values by the scot-irish.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Aug 18, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

it was an interesting theory until the bolded. surely as dumb as republicans can be, even they realize that being in a union actually benefits them, don't they? they may absolutely hate unions in other areas and want them destroyed, and they may not like the union dues that they have to pay for their own unions, but on balance, they do understand that they're getting a net positive out of the deal, right? i can't imagine anyone in something like say, a police union being stupid enough to not realize how much power they have by being in one.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Going off of scruffi:
Rockabilly was 50's music: Elvis, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent

Psychobilly is the 80's after the movie American graffiti, people pulled out rock music and twisted it: the cramps, the meters.

https://www.scaruffi.com/history/alpha.html

chapter on rock music- https://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt11.html

Chapter on American graffiti- https://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt44.html

the meters is wildly out of place here, did you mean the melvins?

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

I liked squidbillies but it's not surprising that guy wasn't in on the joke.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
reverend horton heat owns bones, not going to google to see what their politics are

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

selec posted:

the meters is wildly out of place here, did you mean the melvins?

Sorry. So sorry, Meteors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Meteors

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

it was an interesting theory until the bolded. surely as dumb as republicans can be, even they realize that being in a union actually benefits them, don't they? they may absolutely hate unions in other areas and want them destroyed, and they may not like the union dues that they have to pay for their own unions, but on balance, they do understand that they're getting a net positive out of the deal, right? i can't imagine anyone in something like say, a police union being stupid enough to not realize how much power they have by being in one.

A lot of them have never had a non union job and have no idea what it's like. Police unions yeah, because they're the most powerful unions in the country basically and maybe trade union guys get it, but someone in an office job? No way. They think that's just the way it is, or that they would get the same benefits anywhere regardless of unions because they deserve it

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

There people who want some government (small or big), then there are people,
who are in unions who vote against unions, who vote against unions, - they are
the no-government people.

Then there is a third group that is utilizing the no-government people. They are
using the no-government people to build a monarchy/ dictatorships. It doesn't
matter how they make it: Corporation, Government, Religion. They just need
bodies and power.

So now there are two large groups that work against unions, no matter how
much unions help a person out.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

yorkinshire posted:

Japanese rockabillies are the ideal aesthetic. Google that poo poo.

Yeah, I enjoyed Wild Zero too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gadzuko posted:

A lot of them have never had a non union job and have no idea what it's like. Police unions yeah, because they're the most powerful unions in the country basically and maybe trade union guys get it, but someone in an office job? No way. They think that's just the way it is, or that they would get the same benefits anywhere regardless of unions because they deserve it

Also, name a single positive representation of unions in the media.