Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh, whoops, I assumed PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leraika posted:

Oh, whoops, I assumed PC.

You'd think so, right?

Its coming to PS4 and Switch this year but an english version is ????? And no PC option in sight.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like when retroarch advertised having machine translation as a new feature and then someone tried it out on actraiser and it immediately mistranslated the name entry box

Tired Moritz posted:

Thats why I never play games that would be machine translated like the Tales series. 😎

tales isn't even among the series that have been given machine tls, they did it to the legend of heroes gagharv and some licensed games until the response got so negative that they started hiring actual translators for everything up to sea releases

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 18, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

tales isn't even among the series that have been given machine tls, they did it to the legend of heroes gagharv and some licensed games until the response got so negative that they started hiring actual translators for everything up to sea releases

To be fair I’m pretty sure the Berseria translation shits itself for optional sidequests in the endgame, also some of the post-battle win dialogue is kinda jank iirc. Maybe he’s talking about that?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone here have any advice for front mission 5? I'm finally going to have some time to sit down and check it out next week, was wondering if the combat system differs from 4 at all.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair I’m pretty sure the Berseria translation shits itself for optional sidequests in the endgame, also some of the post-battle win dialogue is kinda jank iirc. Maybe he’s talking about that?

Oh don't get us wrong here, Namco is still very cheap when it comes to localizations -- Tales has suffered for a while now from obvious lack of context and cutbacks on especially System text -- but it's still a far cry from a machine translation. Look at that Vita Sword Art Online release for how that looks, or maybe the first Digimon Cyber Sleuth (though even that is probably a step above machine translation).

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 18, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the vita sao tl was so bad and slammed so hard that i'm pretty sure it's why they stopped doing machine tls cause they gave it a full proper retl years later

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing God Eater 2 and on top of no Japanese dialogue option it sounds like they recorded everything underwater because I guess they used the super compressed Vita files for everything? And the dub sucks too.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

just found out gujian 3 is one of those games with a huge sidequest spanning several characters, numerous collectibles and hours of backstory that you can permanently miss if you don't visit a particular spot on a particular map at a particular time

good thing i'm at the end or i might have just dropped it out of disgust, miss me with this tales of vesperia bullshit

Yeah it’s honestly the only part of the game I disliked. I’m thinking of making a new thread about gujian (with tips on how to win at Lost Tales), but I’m going to wait till I beat it completely first.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing God Eater 2 and on top of no Japanese dialogue option it sounds like they recorded everything underwater because I guess they used the super compressed Vita files for everything? And the dub sucks too.

Yeah there's something up with the Japanese voice licensing for God Eater as the first two games lack it (they're also the ones using Denuvo so I suspect a super protective director or something.) I've heard clips of an "undub" mod and the compression seems to be just as bad there. Guess they didn't keep any higher quality recordings around.

And, not being rude, but are there ANY dubs you like? God Eater's is certainly in the mediocre category at best but I've never seen you praise a dub.

EDIT: \/ Ghost Stories is cheating

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

And, not being rude, but are there ANY dubs you like? God Eater's is certainly in the mediocre category at best but I've never seen you praise a dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigp8bqDt1s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ghost stories' novelty has worn off over the years and now a lot of the jokes kinda suck

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I rewatched it a month or so ago and so much of it is very dated South Park style humor.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I always thought the dub for The Legend of Black Heaven was pretty reasonable. Some of Satoshi Kon's films have very well done dubs as well.

Space Dandy was pretty good too.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Wrong thread lol. We play video games here

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nier Automata had a good-rear end dub.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh don't get us wrong here, Namco is still very cheap when it comes to localizations -- Tales has suffered for a while now from obvious lack of context and cutbacks on especially System text -- but it's still a far cry from a machine translation. Look at that Vita Sword Art Online release for how that looks, or maybe the first Digimon Cyber Sleuth (though even that is probably a step above machine translation).

Did they update the Cyber Sleuth translation for the Switch release because it seemed pretty solid to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Main story dialogue isn't too bad, but it falls apart in sidequests and especially the DigiLine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh yeah, the DigiLine was total nonsense but outside of that it seemed good enough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mokinokaro posted:

And, not being rude, but are there ANY dubs you like?

I like this one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Soul Nomad has an amazing dub

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone here have any advice for front mission 5? I'm finally going to have some time to sit down and check it out next week, was wondering if the combat system differs from 4 at all.

Everything takes forever to kill, even using link attacks and surrounds and all that. It was even slower than FM4 iirc. The combat was basically an iteration of 4 and not at all like 3. 3 was the outlier in the series from what I've heard.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did they update the Cyber Sleuth translation for the Switch release because it seemed pretty solid to me.

I don't believe so. I don't know if the Hacker's Memory tl was also bad, but many of the Cyber Sleuth DigiLine conversations are basically incoherent.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus Christ don't play GE2 unless you're Barudak and love inflicting self-harm

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I don't believe so. I don't know if the Hacker's Memory tl was also bad, but many of the Cyber Sleuth DigiLine conversations are basically incoherent.

Yeah, Hacker's Memory was just as bad from memory. Same situation too; Decent in the main script, goes right to hell in the side-content.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah there's something up with the Japanese voice licensing for God Eater as the first two games lack it (they're also the ones using Denuvo so I suspect a super protective director or something.) I've heard clips of an "undub" mod and the compression seems to be just as bad there. Guess they didn't keep any higher quality recordings around.

EDIT: \/ Ghost Stories is cheating

Cyber City Odeo

I generally have zero dub opinions because I never use them unless forced to lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jesus Christ don't play GE2 unless you're Barudak and love inflicting self-harm

Too late I already hit the first set of credits

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Too late I already hit the first set of credits

no stop

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i liked GE2, you get used to the silly bathroom stall recording quality eventually.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would be okay if the story was condensed into 1/4 of the missions and would still be like 40 hours long.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Everything to do with Romeo and his loving funeral with the goddamned song and everything dumps GE2 straight in the toilet. The only good thing was Blood Arts and GE3 did it vastly better afterwards with Burst Arts anyway.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

It would be okay if the story was condensed into 1/4 of the missions and would still be like 40 hours long.

GE1 had this issue too.

The game story section is just too padded. Cut the story padding at least in half and add more bonus missions.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Boy, all these Epstein banners all over the Cold Steel games sure are unfortunate.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rean Schwarzer was originally named Josef Stalin but then they remembered

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a japanese game series that started in 2004 i won't blame them

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

kirbysuperstar posted:

Everything to do with Romeo and his loving funeral with the goddamned song and everything dumps GE2 straight in the toilet. The only good thing was Blood Arts and GE3 did it vastly better afterwards with Burst Arts anyway.

Blatantly incorrect, Blood Arts are way cooler than Burst Arts, and GE3 does not have an on-demand anime powerup button complete with your own ridiculous themesong, which loses it very many points in comparison. I mean the plot is hilariously awful but it's not like I play any hunting genre for the plot. Apparently Soul Sacrifice has a good one but I was never fooled into buying a Vita so I have no idea.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GE3's raid boss theme is the peak anime power up music in the series, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

chumbler posted:

GE3's raid boss theme is the peak anime power up music in the series, though.

Yeah but it's not a BUTTON you can PRESS. The ability to make any random encounter your big anime powerup moment makes GE2 special.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd have preferred it if it was just a power up button and not press button, choose enemy, place bets on how much damage and other stuff you can do to them in 30 seconds, probably fail and die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It makes you feel like a cool person when you land that 500% powerup, which is the most important thing.