Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

papyrus is good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Celeste's story was weird and I guess Im glad it was meaningful for people but I did not care for it and would have preferred it just not existing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Stanley Parable will make you question what you are doing with your life and is therefore the most emotionally powerful game ever made.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

i wonder how many indie games out there are lame metaphors for overcoming anxiety and depression

i love celeste but that stuff is eyerolling to me. Like, its a super meatboy platformer.

dragon game is a metaphor for overcoming a girls racist rear end dad

my current game is a metaphor for getting really high with your friends
e: or by yourself if you choose to play single player

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

beating hard levels = overcoming psychological issue is some weak rear end poo poo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

i wonder how many indie games out there are lame metaphors for overcoming anxiety and depression

i love celeste but that stuff is eyerolling to me. Like, its a super meatboy platformer.

celeste is a metaphor for being trans though

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Celeste is a metaphor for how desperate gamers will cling onto what they think is a "good" story to try and make videogames a legitimate story delivering medium.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i've only played the pico-8 version of celeste (and only on an actual CHIP at that) so when people talk about celeste doing things like "having a story" and "being good" it's totally foreign to me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

i've only played the pico-8 version of celeste (and only on an actual CHIP at that) so when people talk about celeste doing things like "having a story" and "being good" it's totally foreign to me

Having played both the full version is way better but it has a lot of bloat and some of the stage gimmicks (wind) are just terrible.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Celeste is a metaphor for how desperate gamers will cling onto what they think is a "good" story to try and make videogames a legitimate story delivering medium.
*puts the word "good" in quotes* heh, no way they'll come back from this one

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Celeste is one of the best platformers around, which is easily its best quality.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Celeste is awful as a platformer too though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barudak posted:

Toriel undermines your decisions, arguably even gaslighting you, tries to isolate you from others, and violently resists your attempts to leave. Im never sparing that person, much less asking them for forgiveness which is like the most abuser thing.

Also if you dodge her attacks well you'll never find out she starts trying to miss you.

In some cases, her keeping the kid trapped on the nice side of the ruins means that kid won't do a genocide to all the monster folks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

HardDiskD posted:

that is a silly thing to say

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, I'd just love to hear your idea of a good 2d platformer

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, I'd just love to hear your idea of a good 2d platformer

Super Mario Bros 2 :smuggo:

I really do like it

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Chomp8645 posted:

The Stanley Parable will make you question what you are doing with your life and is therefore the most emotionally powerful game ever made.

Every videogame i play makes me question what I'm doing with my life

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Khanstant posted:

In some cases, her keeping the kid trapped on the nice side of the ruins means that kid won't do a genocide to all the monster folks.

And in other cases, the kid won't go where half of the monster folks will try to kill them on sight like the last kids she let through

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I never finished celeste cus the ps2 I was using (with an adapter to plug into my pc) had a really lovely dpad and after an hour or two of platforming my thumb was starting to hurt like hell
so here's my videogame opinion: the playstation 2 controller SUCKS

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
only 20 dollars and the apex of dpads could be yours. https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Official-Controller-Genesis-Nintendo/dp/B07XWL1573?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot about Toriel makes sense considering she's basically traumatised, what with the whole losing both her biological and adopted children in horrific tragedies and her ex husband having adopted a genocidal policy towards humans that she's personally seen off six victims of. Which is kind of the whole deal with the pacifist route; letting all the monsters work out their traumas on you until they give in and become friends. Basically an anime protagonist.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its silly when a game tries to deal with a Serious Issue. its like, motherfucker youre a game. just be a game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Be serious or don’t, just don’t be loving boring. Most serious video game things are also just so. loving. boring.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's not being an anime protagonist, that's just being a weakass punching bag posing as a twitter psychologist

an anime protagonist solves your problems by throwing a Spirit Bomb at you. if you live, you become a good guy! if not, well

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

that's not being an anime protagonist, that's just being a weakass punching bag posing as a twitter psychologist

an anime protagonist solves your problems by throwing a Spirit Bomb at you. if you live, you become a good guy! if not, well

Sometimes even if you don't!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dunno man I kinda liked the whole thing with Rime

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i will never play lisa and the fact that the guy who made it said it was based on his ex-gf (not even his current) makes me want to punch him so hard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

papyrus is good tho

Algerian for lyfe!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

its silly when a game tries to deal with a Serious Issue. its like, motherfucker youre a game. just be a game

What are you talking about? Headshots are a very serious issue to me.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i will never play lisa and the fact that the guy who made it said it was based on his ex-gf (not even his current) makes me want to punch him so hard.

he's some kinda kung fu expert, he'd whoop your rear end.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
modern shadowrun on the pc is hella weird inasmuch the story gets better in each expansion. by a lot. not even close actually

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

lmao is that loving tequila

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gta5 loving sucks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gta5 loving sucks

I still haven't played it thanks for spoiling :(

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

HardDiskD posted:

Undertale is bad and I was genuinely underwhelmed by it.

I got talked into buying it because it is supposedly amazing but I was not expecting to have to play an insane bullet hell RPG, I appreciate it for what it is but I'll probably never play through it because it's just not my jam (same as Souls games)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I still haven't played it thanks for spoiling :(

It's better than GTA4 if for no reason other than the cars are driveable in that one

I will never stop making GBS threads all over GTA4's trash rear end driving physics

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

GTA 5 is probably the most boring game I've ever played. It's a really bad movie that makes you drive the characters from scene to scene.

The Thief Reboot is a way better game than the people who never played it like to complain about. It's obviously unfinished and has a dumb story, but it's actually fun to just go around the city stealing stuff. I like the animations for grabbing stuff, too. It would be way less interesting to just mash E and have everything automatically fly into your backpack.

Dishonored is fantastic but when people say "Well, if you want to play a Thief game, play Dishonored!" I want to loving smack them. Thief is a game where you play a normal human whose main goal is to steal stuff. Dishonored is a game where you play a magical assassin who can teleport everywhere while trying to kill people.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

It's better than GTA4 if for no reason other than the cars are driveable in that one

I will never stop making GBS threads all over GTA4's trash rear end driving physics

GTA4's driving physics are fuckin awesome and it's by far the best GTA game

git gud

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hawowanlawow posted:

GTA4's driving physics are fuckin awesome and it's by far the best GTA game

git gud

I like racing sims, like, I own wheels, I like racing sims a lot.

"Simulation" driving is not what I want in a GTA game and I loving hate the Driver games, and it is not fun to play a driving sim on top of a crime spree game when it's just dumped in your lap like that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thief 4 is not good, no. Maybe on PC its better but on consoles you have to load constantly, my favorite being a house you go through probably no less than 6 times in the game where you enter the house with loading screen to load a small room containing a bed and another window which you use to load the area of town you actually want to go to.

Thief has magic all over it in levels and story and in you inventory, its just Garrett is equipment based instead of having cool timey wimey bullshit built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GTA seems like a series where the devs really hate what the players love the most about it.

Saint's Row kinda grasps the idea better but still misses the point.