Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Byzantine posted:

Nobody gets 270, it goes to the House of Representatives, which then gives it to Trump because the contingent election is 1 vote per state, not per rep.

username post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm posting to say that I don't think Joe would be a very good president.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Holy poo poo I never read article 2 section 1 that carefully.

The founding fathers hated democracy so drat much

They had to get the small states on board, otherwise it would just be the non-contiguous nation of New York and Virginia.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I think the funniest outcome at this point is Trump spending a ton of time rigging things and suppressing the vote and then winning by such a huge margin he didn't have to do all that. You know it would piss him off.

He'll be mad and spend the next four years trying to argue that the 22nd Amendment has to go while the Dems do another useless investigation that summarizes to 'You can charge him when he leaves office'

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If anything is possible, maybe Howie can win?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dictatorship of the proletariat when?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MonsieurChoc posted:

If anything is possible, maybe Howie can win?

If, through some series of consecutive miracles, Howie managed to start winning, Biden would concede and give Trump his electoral college votes in a fuckin' heartbeat just to stop it from happening.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

the_steve posted:

If, through some series of consecutive miracles, Howie managed to start winning, Biden would concede and give Trump his electoral college votes in a fuckin' heartbeat just to stop it from happening.
I wonder what the justification for that would even be: "Howie wants to destroy the two-party system. You don't want a one-party system, do you?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Every new Republican ghoul they prop up just make NoJoe stronger.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I will not vote for Joe Biden today.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Colin loving Powell my God.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

give me a tag

I never had any intention of voting for joe but now I feel I need to be explicit that I don't support colin god drat powell

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Technically the Democrats have access to my vote so that should be good enough for them I would assume.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

alarumklok posted:

can I triple up on my nojoe vows jfc

how innocent I was yesterday after night 1. I had no idea what was in store for night 2

colin loving powell what the actual gently caress

taco_fox posted:

give me a tag

I never had any intention of voting for joe but now I feel I need to be explicit that I don't support colin god drat powell

welcome comrade

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

This convention is amazing, it's everything I never wanted. I'm genuinely contemplating never voting Democrat again in my life. gently caress these ghouls.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I think the funniest outcome at this point is Trump spending a ton of time rigging things and suppressing the vote and then winning by such a huge margin he didn't have to do all that. You know it would piss him off.

This is what's going to happen.

Then it will leak and we will learn Trump's crew calls it "the Watergate move".

Then we will learn Trump doesn't know what Watergate is or what was done to get him in because he doesn't have the attention span.

Then nobody holds him accountable or does anything about it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Complications posted:

This convention is amazing, it's everything I never wanted. I'm genuinely contemplating never voting Democrat again in my life. gently caress these ghouls.

just write yourself in, you're always going to be a better candidate than the republicans or republican lites put up

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I really don’t like Biden. He’s a pandering racist rapist.

I’m struggling though - which outcome would I think is worse? Biden or Trump? I think Trump. Trump is also a lot of bad things.

I know the “lesser of two evils” is a tired argument. And I know my vote doesn’t really matter either way. That’s the biggest argument I feel for abstaining - that it just doesn’t matter. Also that Biden winning could lead to an even worse Repub getting elected in 4 years.

Help me out here.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Ruggan posted:

I’m struggling though - which outcome would I think is worse? Biden or Trump? I think Trump. Trump is also a lot of bad things.

I know the “lesser of two evils” is a tired argument. And I know my vote doesn’t really matter either way. That’s the biggest argument I feel for abstaining - that it just doesn’t matter. Also that Biden winning could lead to an even worse Repub getting elected in 4 years.

Help me out here.

the lesser evil just gives permission for evil to continue to dominate our politics. there is no compelling reason to believe that joe biden is up to the task of handling the present economic crisis or any standing issue. in fact he has promised to do nothing. don’t waste your vote on a waste of time candidate who will inevitably preside over historic midterm losses.

also you just toxxed not to vote for him.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
clear eyes, full heart, no Joe

embrace howieism, and your soul will be liberated

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo the best way to view an individual vote is as a positive statement of support for something, since there is no way that an individual vote will ever make any kind of difference

in this mindset, you don't have to choose! if you can't honestly say that you support some candiate, you can just cast a blank vote or not go at all

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Technically the Democrats have access to my vote so that should be good enough for them I would assume.

orly
Oct 2, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

clear eyes, full heart, no Joe

embrace howieism, and your soul will be liberated

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Ruggan posted:

Help me out here.

Which is worse, the Earth smashing into the moon or the sun? Clearly the sun is worse. Therefore, everyone worried about the moon is personally to blame for us hitting the sun, even though the moon hitting us might knock our orbit into the sun within four years anyway.

More seriously, if you want to get emotionally invested in politics, don't focus on the Presidential race. That ship has sailed. Direct action and protesting are more worthy of your attention, and there may (or may not!) be a local or state race or measure on your ballot worth fighting for. If all the liberals with Cable News Brain put half as much effort into electing a progressive challenger as they put into tepid excuses for a hair-sniffing perennial loser, their mental health and the world's future would be much better.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ruggan posted:

Help me out here.

Enough people telling the Democrats to go gently caress themselves for offering only lesser evils will eventually cause a trend of decline that they'll either address or get replaced by one of the third parties. Cold comfort for us but it sets up the zoomers or their children for a new party, and then the grandchildren of that generation to the same bullshit we have.

Voting reform or replacing the United States with something better are the only answers that work in our lifetimes.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
whether 51% of republicans or 51% of democrats get the vote indicates nothing on its own, at any given time at least 49% of the country is willing to vote for the "greater" evil so that last 2% seems kind of meaningless. The fact that these are the two top choices available to us is indicative itself of the evil within the system, regardless of a 2% swing in either direction.

forgive me if my reasoning is weird but boy i'm not happy today Colin Powell loving lol

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

Would like to reaffirm my NOJOE here. gently caress. gently caress all those loving morons.

I was 17 in 2004 and this feels like kerry all over again lollllllll.

Joe Biden's here and he's.. reporting for duty!!!!!!!!!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Byzantine posted:

Nobody gets 270, it goes to the House of Representatives, which then gives it to Trump because the contingent election is 1 vote per state, not per rep.

Are there 17 states with both Dem Senators? If they rushed out of the room, a Dem Senator from a split state might be able to demand a quorum check (if they had a backbone). Of course the republicans would then affirm that 66% is greater than or equal to 2/3rds and vote anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ruggan posted:

Help me out here.

Just read the Green Party platform and then vote for Howie, it's not that complicated dude

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

jfc they invited Colin Powell

I don’t think I will ever vote for another Democrat in my life

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

FartingBedpost posted:

jfc they invited Colin Powell

I don’t think I will ever vote for another Democrat in my life

And the election threads go oddly silent

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Ruggan posted:

Help me out here.

trump is a dollar store fascist who mobilizes liberals to action. biden is a neoliberal who will do nothing to address the material conditions that lead to trump and will be replaced no later than 2028 by someone smart enough to kick off a fourth reich.

when those are the only options that electoralism provides, you decide if voting is still a meaningful political strategy at the national level

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Collapse is certain. Both political parties are some combination of incapable and unwilling to do what is necessary to prevent the US from becoming a failed state. The most powerful people feel shielded from the consequences, and so do their puppets and proxies who populate and run the major political parties.

If there is hope for change, it is that these facts will become so obvious, and the material conditions will get so unbearable, that we will see the present mass unrest grow and coalesce into an independent political structure that will maneuver through the collapse to supplant the existing American state.

Seems unlikely honestly, but far more unlikely is any hope for salvation within the system. Certainly not from the likes of Biden.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Collapse is certain. Both political parties are some combination of incapable and unwilling to do what is necessary to prevent the US from becoming a failed state. The most powerful people feel shielded from the consequences, and so do their puppets and proxies who populate and run the major political parties.

If there is hope for change, it is that these facts will become so obvious, and the material conditions will get so unbearable, that we will see the present mass unrest grow and coalesce into an independent political structure that will maneuver through the collapse to supplant the existing American state.

Seems unlikely honestly, but far more unlikely is any hope for salvation within the system. Certainly not from the likes of Biden.

The future's very unwritten, but I'm of the opinion that if/when collapse comes, whoever ends up with power in the end are the ones actually helping people, whoever that is. It just so happens that chuds don't believe in helping other people, ever. They've sort of backed themselves into a corner with this. I think that's why you see so many obsessed with guns; they know any kind of functioning community would rightfully see them as a liability, so their backup plan to just hunker down and shoot at anyone that comes close.

Could they come back from this? Maybe. I'm sure churches will probably pick up the slack where the government fails, but even then, those will be Christians who actually take the Love Thy Neighbor teachings to heart, not chuds.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blarghalt posted:

The future's very unwritten, but I'm of the opinion that if/when collapse comes, whoever ends up with power in the end are the ones actually helping people, whoever that is. It just so happens that chuds don't believe in helping other people, ever. They've sort of backed themselves into a corner with this. I think that's why you see so many obsessed with guns; they know any kind of functioning community would rightfully see them as a liability, so their backup plan to just hunker down and shoot at anyone that comes close.

Could they come back from this? Maybe. I'm sure churches will probably pick up the slack where the government fails, but even then, those will be Christians who actually take the Love Thy Neighbor teachings to heart, not chuds.

Chuds have a fantasy about being Max Rockatansky when all forms of government magically blinks out of existence at once. In reality, barring some sort of decapitating strike from a foreign power, or civil war (lol), it would take years, with state and local governments stepping in to fill the void. We'd still have electricity, running water, Walmart and McDonald's, so life wouldn't change a lot either.

We saw some rumblings of what may happen if somehow the federal government just ceases to exist with this pandemic. States were forced to take control, with some forming coalitions, and then the Apples, Amazons, Facebooks, and Teslas of the world stepped in and told everyone it was over and to get back to work.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite thing lately is people acting like my vote in a red rear end state actually matters

Do these doofuses think the popular vote is gonna matter this year for some reason

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moist turtleneck posted:

My favorite thing lately is people acting like my vote in a red rear end state actually matters

Do these doofuses think the popular vote is gonna matter this year for some reason

They're pretending they have agency in a hell of their own making, hth

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Liberals will get increasingly desperate as they realize they went all in on demented alleged rapist Joe Biden, a man who promises to fix none of our problems

They won't have any introspection or self-reflection, of course, they'll just scream into the void that the people they've actively told to gently caress off aren't as deluded about their candidate as they are

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

taco_fox posted:

give me a tag

it's about drat time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Business Gorillas posted:

Liberals will get increasingly desperate as they realize they went all in on demented alleged rapist Joe Biden, a man who promises to fix none of our problems

They won't have any introspection or self-reflection, of course, they'll just scream into the void that the people they've actively told to gently caress off aren't as deluded about their candidate as they are

Yeah, that's the real kicker. I wanted the Dems to earn my vote this year, because Trump is super lovely to have in the White House (and another Trump term could, legit, no-joke, kill me, if he manages to gently caress with the pre-existing conditions ban or lifetime limits cap ban in the ACA). But, I can honestly say that I'm not sure whether it's worse to re-elect him, or to elect Biden, and I can't in good conscience vote for somebody who's just going to sweep things under the rug for 4-8 years while they continue to fester.

So, I'm voting Hawkins this year, because his platform is actually something I want to see enacted.