Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

yeah but its mostly character and robot designs and names. most of the powers are just randomly given to people. I mean tiaso is from water margin but in giant robot his character has a generator inside him and that's where he gets his energy power from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's hosed up how the nu Gundam never came back people should appreciate it more

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Stairmaster posted:

It's hosed up how the nu Gundam never came back people should appreciate it more

I forget about it, and when I see it in action again I chastise myself everytime.

It's a darn good suit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

stair there's like a new nu spin-off every build series, including Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G

sometimes multiple

there's at least two in build divers re-rise

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

I could swear half of Super Robot Wars' animation budget goes to the Nu Gundam alone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TenementFunster posted:

plus, instead of becoming Space Epstein, Char gets killed off in the first five minutes

The Gundam X Char is Lancerow. He's the arch rival of Jamil(who is Gundam X Amuro), he was a highly placed commander/famous ace in the Space Revolutionary Army(which is Gundam X Zeon), and he had a big final battle with Jamil's GX during the climax of the big space war that pre-dated the series while piloting the Febral(which is pretty much literally Gundam X Zeong) and the fight ended with the Febral destroying the GX's arm and head but getting destroyed by a final beam rifle shot and Lancerow only survives by escaping in the Febral's detachable head.

The main difference is that Lancerow is capable of taking a chill pill in the end.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 19, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kanos posted:

The Gundam X Char is Lancerow. He's the arch rival of Jamil(who is Gundam X Amuro), he was a highly placed commander/famous ace in the Space Revolutionary Army(which is Gundam X Zeon), and he had a big final battle with Jamil's GX during the climax of the big space war that pre-dated the series while piloting the Febral(which is pretty much literally Gundam X Zeong) and the fight ended with the Febral destroying the GX's arm and head but getting destroyed by a final beam rifle shot and Lancerow only survives by escaping in the Febral's detachable head.

The main difference is that Lancerow is capable of taking a chill pill in the end.
no, it's the guy i posted in that picture.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stairmaster posted:

I dunno, it seems like a show piece to me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

I dunno, it seems like a show piece to me.

You're confusing the Nu Gundam with legs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stairmaster posted:

the nu Gundam came back

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that's not what's being asked for. Kira not being able to convert people to his philosophy isn't the problem. It's that he can't even coherently explain why he holds it.

Like, let's compare another Gundam lead who's not much of a talker, and who is in awe and respect when someone can win without fighting.

Mikazuki Augus is an illiterate child soldier, but when a debate breaks out in the middle of a fight, he's still able to hold his own and demonstrate why he does what he does. When he's told he likes killing, he goes "Well, you need to die anyway, so...", when he's told he's being exploited he says he chose his life, and when he's told he has no grand cause to fight for, he agrees, but says that he has the purpose Orga gave him, and a life full of things he cares about. His actions derive from his beliefs.

That ties into the traditional Shonen model, really. A fight is also an expression of philosophies, and the hero's triumph isn't just a matter of strength, but the validation or refutation of what he thinks is important. How well it's done varies (MHA's Stain fight is a full on textbook example here), but the idea is almost always in play.

SEED fails here, because Kira wins fights without winning the debate, or even as if winning the fight makes the debate irrelevant. Kira just wins because he's good at fights, end of story, even though the show occasionally gestures at the intent to do more tying his personal development to his victories and losses.

Another, older case of a character on purpose "Winning the battle but losing the argument" is Amuro versus Ral. Amuro wins, and Ral claims it was because of the Gundam, while in the moment Amuro calls Ral a sore loser, in the end, he takes that lesson on heavily, the thing he's focused on so heavily in jail, once his grief has passed, is a desire to become stronger and be someone who can win.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So do we reckon we're gonna see the main plot run for the full 26-ep run of Build Dives ReRise, or we'll see it wrap up this week and get an extra for-fun episode like some of the previous Build shows?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Onmi posted:

Another, older case of a character on purpose "Winning the battle but losing the argument" is Amuro versus Ral. Amuro wins, and Ral claims it was because of the Gundam, while in the moment Amuro calls Ral a sore loser, in the end, he takes that lesson on heavily, the thing he's focused on so heavily in jail, once his grief has passed, is a desire to become stronger and be someone who can win.

Amuro was already trying to become a better pilot before the final duel with Ral, and frankly, Ral was a sore loser. He claims Amuro only won because of the Gundam's superior technology but the Gouf matches the Gundam's performace so closely in it's final duel that the two are basically mirrors of each other and before the final moments inflict almost the same damage on each other. Various data books and manuals try to place the Gundam as being better in pretty much every way, but in speed and manoeuvrability, the two were pretty much evenly matched in that fight and the Gouf's heat sword is presented as a match for the Gundam's beam saber. A fight Amuro won not because the Gundam could out run the Gouf or anything, but because Amuro out-manoeuvred the Gouf, ducking when Ral made a big swing and chopping it's arms off while they were over-extended. Amuro might not have practised that exact move prior to the battle or anything, but what he was doing was using a captured Zaku II to run simulations of battle with the Gouf by improving the Zaku II's stats in the simulations so it was better in every way, tuning up the Gundam etc. Amuro talks to a Federation officer on board the White Base in episode 7 or 8 and tells him that he has logged 18 hours in a simulator, 35 hours training and 2 hours of combat. Which would be 55 hours of training or direct experience of various kinds in about a week, given that they've only just arrived on Earth at that point. Amuro was really motivated already, and doing a lot of work to become a better pilot and not just someone who relied on the Gundam.

Amuro had been presented as someone desperate to prove himself the best pilot for a while before that too, because that's the entire basis of his rivalry with Char for much of the show; he wants to beat Char to prove his worth. It's the thing that motivates him to actually go out and pilot in the slap scene, because Bright slapping him just makes Amuro double down on his refusal to pilot, while Bright's offhand mention that he thought Amuro was someone who might have been able to beat Char before he left the room made Amuro jump up out of the bed, and run out in to the hallway. The reason he runs away from the White Base with the Gundam during the Ramba Ral arc is because he thinks he's the only one worthy of piloting it, and that he knows better than Bright, having started second guessing his orders in the previous episodes etc.

I'm not even sure Ramba's defeat had all that much impact on Amuro honestly, and I think Ryu's death was the thing that really motivated him to become a better soldier coming out of that arc. He stopped arguing with Bright, and started drilling things like the Gundam's combination after that point. Ramba dying probably did have an affect on him, but I don't think it was that profound, and it was probably his actual death and not his words after defeat that really stuck with Amuro. The immediate aftermath of Ramba's defeat in his Gouf is Amuro shouting about how everyone has to listen to him because only he knows best after all. He does declare he really wants to beat Ral after it at the end of the episode, but as above, he was already being presented as someone who wanted to be better than other pilots, as someone putting in a lot of time to become a better pilot etc and Ral was just one more in that list that he was passionate about because of the things Ral had said getting under his skin, and not the impetus for that behaviour full stop.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

While Amuro does take Ral's words to heart and get frustrated, on a recent rewatch I started to wonder if maybe Amuro was a little bit right and Ral maybe was a sore loser because as good as Ral was he never scored a really decisive victory over Amuro.

Amuro and Ral fight a handful of times and the one time Amuro doesn't do well at all is when he does try and rely on the Gundam's power by attempting to analyze the Gouf and use the Learning Computer to beat it, by Amuro's own admission it can't keep up with Ral's piloting and he never lands a hit. Amuro doesn't do super well in their first fight, but he was literally dealing with shellshock and the rest of the cast basically dumped him in the Gundam's cockpit and fired him down the catapult and hoped for the best and he STILL managed to get around the Gouf's heat rod. The next time they fight Amuro is in the Guncannon, not the Gundam and manages to hold off Ral and force him back for long enough to take out one of Ral's Zakus and get in to rescue Sayla, so what's this about only being good using the Gundam's power? There are other factors in all these battles, Kai and Ryu are there in the Guncannon and Guntank and the White Base isn't doing nothing, but the one fight where Amuro goes into melee with Ral while his head is in the game is also the fight where Amuro chops off the Gouf's arms and jams a beam saber through its back.

I don't bring this up to denigrate Ral, he was a hell of a pilot and a real threat even without a mobile suit and the Gihren's Greed thing of winning if he had a Dom is pretty justified, but I do honestly think he's wrong when he Amuro only won because of the Gundam. On one level only the Gundam was a good enough mobile suit to stand up to Ral in the Gouf, but the series itself says that Gundam couldn't have beaten the Gouf unless its pilot was Amuro.

So why say it? I think it's there because that line is relevant to what's going on with Amuro at that moment in the series. This is when Amuro comes back after deserting, but what makes him leave in the first place is a worry he doesn't have a place on the White Base if he isn't the Gundam's pilot. Ral saying this, even if he's wrong, pisses of Amuro, gets him to question his role as a pilot and come to accept it, and is one of a number of things that leads him to continue growing up and eventually getting over himself and his conceit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

the Gihren's Greed thing of Ral winning if he had a Dom is pretty justified

I don't think it is, personally, because the Gouf is a dedicated melee unit and the Gundam seems most vulnerable to melee combat over the course of the show. The Dom is a very quick unit, but it doesn't have great weaponry once it does close the distance and it's only real melee weapon is the heat saber. It's only other proper weapon full stop is the giant bazooka, which is just too big and too obvious in it's target/intention to be much of a threat to the Gundam by that point because Amuro is already good at avoiding gunfire in general. The Tri-Stars were a trio of experienced pilots whose combat style suited the Dom and they still struggled with the Gundam, and didn't actually do any meaningful damage in the end. By comparison, a few episodes after Ramba Ral is defeated the Gundam is nearly destroyed by a pair of completely nameless pilots in Goufs, one of whom is never even shown on screen and even though they fail in the end, they still manage to melt the Gundam's waist so badly the leg's seize up and Amuro panics in the cockpit because he thinks he's about to die. It's only the last second appearance of Hayato in one of the new G-Armours that saves Amuro's rear end.

I'm not sure the Gundam is ever significantly damaged by a ranged weapon until the very last episode, when the Zeong effectively destroys it by taking off it's head, an arm and one leg. On the other hand, it's damaged several times over the course of the show using melee heat weapons of some stripe (Ral tearing open the cockpit block with a heat saber, one of Hamon's men hitting it in the waist with a heat hawk, two Gouf pilots melting the waist with heat rods etc), including by un-named and unimportant grunt characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So ramba needed a gyan

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He needed something like those Jaburo invasion hybrids in MSV, where Zeon welded two units together to make a new one. A unit with the waist and legs of a Dom, but chest and arms of a Gouf so it had the speed to get in close and the weapons to take advantage of it once it got in there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tsob posted:

He needed something like those Jaburo invasion hybrids in MSV, where Zeon welded two units together to make a new one. A unit with the waist and legs of a Dom, but chest and arms of a Gouf so it had the speed to get in close and the weapons to take advantage of it once it got in there.

Nothing really stopping a Dom from using a Gouf heat saber or vice versa, heck we've seen the Gouf heat saber be used by other suits before(both a Zaku 1 custom unit and the Zogok use it)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Dom already has a heat sword of it's own. The saber might technically be better in some regard, but it does still have a heat weapon of some kind. The Gouf torso provides more than the heat saber though, and has the heat rod as well as the machine gun hand for small arms fire to herd or distract the enemy in close quarters and even it's pauldrons are better shaped for checking the enemy if need be. Which, I don't recall Ral ever taking advantage of the physicality of his unit in that way but someone like Char would presumably appreciate.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'm glad the manga gundam the origin decided to take all the subtlety out of the char shower scene.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So do we reckon we're gonna see the main plot run for the full 26-ep run of Build Dives ReRise, or we'll see it wrap up this week and get an extra for-fun episode like some of the previous Build shows?

I think the episode we just had was that episode, so I don't think they're gonna do another one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It'll go to the end. I don't think they can have a preflight meeting with the Eldorans, run the gauntlet to the moon, fix Alus or replace him with May, say goodbye to the Eldorans, get high fives from everyone at GBN, and close out the real life plot stuff all in one episode.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why didnt the sponsors like beltorchika's children

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

Amuro having a long term partner, who was pregnant, made him uncool in their eyes

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stairmaster posted:

Dads are lame, basically.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Amuro having a long term partner, who was pregnant, made him uncool in their eyes

And Beltorchika was really unpopular, which didn't help.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Seemlar posted:

At least their solution didn't involve him selling his relationship to Mephisto...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

IIRC Beltorchika being pregnant without getting married was the big deciding factor but its been a while since I read anything on the matter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Dads are lame, basically.
:stonk:

Never thought I'd see the day.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

:stonk:

Never thought I'd see the day.

Don't worry. We've got Mikazuki since then.

And this year's biggest mech anime will probably have Eren Yeager, Father of the Year.

Obviously, the execs just weren't sure that Amuro was crazy enough to be a cool dad.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

And now there's a fake Turn X :allears:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The unexpected gattai had me very hyped. And it looks like we get one more battle.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well that was every bit as great as I was hoping it would be.

Wodom Pod being remote controlled with a gamepad by Mobile Doll May :allears:

Anyone else notice the title card changed for the next episode preview? It's just Re:RISE in gold letters now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wonder if the Nepteight could be used for actual interstellar flight. It is basically a manifested life-sized toy that's more programmed to function in reality than necessarily having the actual characteristics of the technology... I think? Then again they did glue/weld pla plate to a dragon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

holy poo poo that owned

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Alus invading GBN is exactly what I thought we'd get with one more episode, but I wasn't ready for Magee's 'HIIII!! WELCOME!!' :getin:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jackhunter64 posted:

And now there's a fake Turn X :allears:

I really like the new shoulder binders it has, with one just being an over-sized version of the normal arm; not so much the new chest/head. The new Psyco-Daughtress was cool too.

Bloody Pom posted:

Well that was every bit as great as I was hoping it would be.

I enjoyed what I was, but I was kind of hoping for more myself. A problem that I was fearing, and that it looks like is bearing out is that the show spent so long building up the protagonists but spent no time building up Alus as an equivalent threat and it's made his final defeat kind of underwhelming. He hasn't really changed or gotten anything new since the first season, despite the Divers getting upgraded mobile suits, Cuadron's help, Masaki's help and a new combiner form. If anything, he's actually gotten weaker, because the Divers took his best pawn away from him, which made them as much stronger as it made him weaker. In return, all he did was use some new gunpla pawns, all of which were defeated immediatey every time he rolled them out. It doesn't really help make him all that much of a threat. It was fun seeing everyone beat one of his Gunpla this episode, but it was basically just a round of 1 v 1's that were done in a few seconds, and then the fight was essentially over. Nice for what it is, but kind of unsatisfying at the same time.

I think it was kind of weird how Alus appears to have a revelation when Freddie gives his speech too, and then continues attacking after that. I thought the way it was going to go after that was that he'd be horrified that the orbital cannon was going to fire regardless of his recovered memories, and that he'd be happy the Divers stopped him, but no, he just continues wanting to attack regardless. Which...what was the point of him having that flashback in that moment then? The fact a dog that looks exactly like Freddie was there was a bit on the nose too.

I thought the show would pull it back in the end, with Alus invading GBN at the last second, which would be a big upping of the ante, even if he's always been treated as worse than the average high level player and so there would be no reason to think his invasion would have any merit beyond the initial rush and there's no risk of death or anything, so him invading GBN is purely symbolic. But no, Magee has gotten everyone prepped, so his invasion runs in to a prepared defence as soon as he starts, undercutting what little threat it could have had regardless.

That all said, I actually did really like Eve's hand reaching out for Hiroto as the Nepteight was on the verge of stable orbit. I don't even like the character all that much, but I guess I'm just a sucker for that cliche, because I smiled and teared up a little when it happened. Hiroto saying "thank you" and "goodbye" to Eve as the Nepteight drifted off was a nice touch too, since it was a good way for him to symbolically wrap up his arc and put what trauma remained and her death behind him. All the individual fights were fun too, even if they were short as gently caress. I liked the episode on the whole, even if I thought it had multiple problems, and it looks like the show will have a decent finale even if I think it was stronger in the beginning and middle.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 20, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

I think it was kind of weird how Alus appears to have a revelation when Freddie gives his speech too, and then continues attacking after that. I thought the way it was going to go after that was that he'd be horrified that the orbital cannon was going to fire regardless of his recovered memories, and that he'd be happy the Divers stopped him, but no, he just continues wanting to attack regardless. Which...what was the point of him having that flashback in that moment then? The fact a dog that looks exactly like Freddie was there was a bit on the nose too.

I thought the show would pull it back in the end, with Alus invading GBN at the last second, which would be a big upping of the ante, even if he's always been treated as worse than the average high level player and so there would be no reason to think his invasion would have any merit beyond the initial rush and there's no risk of death or anything, so him invading GBN is purely symbolic. But no, Magee has gotten everyone prepped, so his invasion runs in to a prepared defence as soon as he starts, undercutting what little threat it could have had regardless.

Because the point isn't to stop Alus anymore. As you said, they've all upgraded their stuff, they have new help, they've trained extensively, they're pretty confident that the can beat Alus. But remember what May said. She wants to save Alus. That's the issue now, not can they beat him but can they save him.

The point of the flashback and the tears is to establish that they can. Alus isn't just a robot, he has remorse and guilt the same as everyone else. The same as Hiroto, even. If Alus had seen Freddie, had the flashback, and then been like, "oh you're right I'm a good guy now" that would've sucked and gone against the whole show to this point. Re Rise has been about characters who are in a bad place climbing out of it. For all of the characters it's taken time. They've made mistakes and had setbacks. But because they didn't give up, and their friends didn't give up on them, they were able to do it.

That's what Re Rise is all about. Even if it's tough, as long as you don't give up anybody can Re Rise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just realized what's going to happen in the last episode, thematically.

It's all of GBN, including all the Forces from the first Coalition battle, once again fighting over the fate of an AI. But this time everybody is fighting to save the AI! By Saving Alus they're all going to be making up for trying to destroy Sara! It's the redemption of the GBN playerbase! Everybody gets to Re Rise!

I love this show so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

Because the point isn't to stop Alus anymore. As you said, they've all upgraded their stuff, they have new help, they've trained extensively, they're pretty confident that the can beat Alus. But remember what May said. She wants to save Alus. That's the issue now, not can they beat him but can they save him.

Those are not mutually exclusive elements. Just because the point is not to kill Alus, but to stop him and help him doesn't mean the fight to do so can't be tough.

Gripweed posted:

The point of the flashback and the tears is to establish that they can. Alus isn't just a robot, he has remorse and guilt the same as everyone else. The same as Hiroto, even. If Alus had seen Freddie, had the flashback, and then been like, "oh you're right I'm a good guy now" that would've sucked and gone against the whole show to this point. Re Rise has been about characters who are in a bad place climbing out of it. For all of the characters it's taken time. They've made mistakes and had setbacks. But because they didn't give up, and their friends didn't give up on them, they were able to do it.

The problem with that reading is that Alus shows no actual indication he's sorry or wants to change but doesn't feel like he deserves it or can in the aftermath of the flashback, like Hiroto, Cuadron and others have over time. He has the flashback, seems to have had a revelation that "Holy poo poo, what have I been doing" and then the next time we see him, he seems to be exactly the same as he's always been. No conflict in his personality, no regret, just "If I can't win, then gently caress it all".