Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Bold statement from someone who said they admit they dont know how effective what they do is but its "probably more than zero". I offered real advice, do something in your community that affects positive change and show youre willing to do more work than "research" and "post". If you can show you actually have skin in the game people will listen to you. You have a compulsive need to believe posting will save us all so you keep doing it and won't question if maybe dedicating effort toward something else might affect real change.

it isn't

I disagree. I believe I stated I think volunteering for a local shelter or signing up to a local leftist campaign or organization would allow you to do a lot more on this front, but you'd rather post and believe this is the most important thing because it's easier that way.

It looks like facebook has just eliminated the 40K strong Qanon group I was in, so I don't have the original post, but a lot people were in genuine anguish, talking about having nightmares about the screaming children. Like, long, gut wrenching posts of people in visible distress.

So I reached out on messenger:

Hey XX. I saw your post in Qanon Aus last week about not sleeping and having nightmares. I feel your pain. I want to ask if you would consider reading this. Please keep an open mind, and go all the way to the end. It’s long, and it’s full of links and videos, so you can do your own research and verify as much as you like yourself. I know it’s going to be different to what you’ve been told and I know that’s going to be hard to believe, but I also know that you want the truth.
I’m writing cos I can see that you are genuinely concerned about the kids, and would hate for that to be exploited by people with a political agenda. I hope that maybe this can bring you some relief.

And I just got this:

Thanks Bucky. I will check it out today n get back to you ❤

Hmmmm. A lot makes sense. A lot of things I was wondering... This means everything is fake tho? All made up for political gain. That we've all been played like fools???
I cannot even comprehend this. It makes me sick. Is that really what its all about? If this is the truth, I will never be able to believe another thing I see or hear or feel. Ever! What kind of world do we truly live in. 😢

A complete stranger, on "the internet." That is a story which has played out in similar ways, across hundreds of shares and tweets and tens of thousands of views. How many minds have you changed today, RagnarokAngel? How many rabid Qultists have you come close to de-converting?

You go and make your soup for the homeless. Best of luck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bucky Fullminster posted:

You go and make your soup for the homeless. Best of luck.

Man, get help.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Man, get help.

Answer a question for once.

Why is "volunteering for a local shelter" a better approach than dealing with this directly as it arises online? Why would you think that the fight against digital dissemination of disinformation cannot, or should not, be fought digitally?

I have done plenty of volunteering, it was good, it helped those people. I didn't really have an opportunity to say "hey have you heard about Q and by the way did you know it's bullshit?"

And now, after dozens of posts of :

"What you're doing isn't convincing anybody
It's not effective. You've convinced yourself it is, but it's not doing anything
You don't actually want to persuade anyone
falls on deaf ears
Talk to actual people
Log off (x about 6)
Doing actual good for your community in real life is what keeps people out of dangerous groups not screaming into a void about how much research you did.
your solution amounts to wagging fingers at them and showing them pamphlets on the dangers of fire rather than actually stopping them"

I show you actual proof of literally doing that, taking a stranger direct from the coal face, this morning, and you just ignore it. Go on, tell me that's just one person. Tell me it doesn't mean anything and will never have any other effect. edit - it's not even the first time I've done that in this thread.

Unless you can show any evidence of yourself having made any attempt to deconvert someone, online or offline, successfully or otherwise, then I respectfully submit that it might be time for you to log off.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 20, 2020

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

You need to log off

You are approaching Q from the opposite direction with the same attitude as a true believer, and it's incredibly bad to watch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sidebar, but what the hell exactly is local volunteering gonna do against QAnon?

You don't deradicalize Nazis by feeding them and sheltering them. That just makes fed, sheltered Nazis.

e: like, I don't think posting at them is exactly a great option, either, but this seems to be an argument about which hilariously ineffective option is marginally better out of the two, not "what is an actual good option?"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Sidebar, but what the hell exactly is local volunteering gonna do against QAnon?

You don't deradicalize Nazis by feeding them and sheltering them. That just makes fed, sheltered Nazis.

e: like, I don't think posting at them is exactly a great option, either, but this seems to be an argument about which hilariously ineffective option is marginally better out of the two, not "what is an actual good option?"

It’s less about QAnon and more about Bucky’s actual mental wellbeing. Feeing hopeless and living in a pit of despair isn’t good for you. Obsessing over internet conspiracies does not help you. Logging out and doing some real, unambiguous good in the world can help fight those feelings of helplessness.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

When everyone at the place you go to in order to complain about how irrational something is starts telling you that you're increasingly sounding irrational, I dunno, maybe consider the possibility instead of instantly dismissing it?

You don't have to stop fighting Qanons. But like, maybe, take a step back and take a day off? At least contemplate it?

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 20, 2020

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Oof, this is how deep they were:

So Obama is not Hitler's grandson? What about the Queen then? Is she not evil? Those 10 children never showed up after she took them on a picnic. 911 wasn't an inside job then? What about Titanic. Did Rothchilds not play a part in the sinking if that?
So Trumps just as bad as Andrew? Is the Andrew thing even true? All the Hollywood stars are innocent? What about Disney & all those connections? What about Covid? Is it actually quite deadly then?
Honestly, I feel completely heart broken right now. 💔

And we got them out, in one clean shot. That is a real, unambiguous good.

As this falls apart, there are going to be a lot of very lost, confused, and heartbroken people. Who will once again be ripe for exploitation. We need to be able to reach them. The only thing that can replace a story is another story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKth-qS8Jk&t=149s

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

You need to log off

You are approaching Q from the opposite direction with the same attitude as a true believer, and it's incredibly bad to watch.

If you have a better way to deal with the alarming rise in people who believe this, then please share it with us, preferably with proof of its effectiveness. Until then, please refrain from telling me not to do the thing which has been proven to work..

Origami Dali posted:

If you think that Roger Stone's dirty tricks history and the existence of Russian troll farms proves that Q is just another psyop, even though we have evidence to the contrary,

Just going to ask one more time what this evidence is, bearing in mind that that the fact that "it resembles an organic post on the forum from whence it originated" is not conclusive evidence to the contrary.

Yes, I'm falling in to the trap of posting too much because people are wrong on the internet, so now that we've cleared up the fact that it is indeed effective, I'll try and step back now.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 20, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Just going to ask one more time what this evidence is, bearing in mind that that the fact that "it resembles an organic post on the forum from whence it originated" is not conclusive evidence to the contrary.

How about this theory, then? There's good reason to believe that Q posts were likely started by Coleman Rodgers, founder of the Patriot Soapbox 24/7 youtube news channel dedicated to Q coverage. He was also Pamphlet Anon, moderator of the 4chan board where Q posted, and accidentally revealed he was logged into the Q account in a livestream. He was later caught analyzing a Q post that he had made while forgetting to log in to the account. It's also known that early Q posts were signal boosted by small time right wing youtubers contacted by these mods, and later by conspiracy redditors, in a bid for acquiring new followers for views and e-clout. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-three-conspiracy-theorists-took-q-sparked-qanon-n900531.

Now, a conspiracy movement being kicked off by grifters trying to make bank by hocking their wares to loonies is a far simpler explanation than a grand calculated psyop theory, and far more plausible to me because capitalism is not difficult to understand. And none of this requires pattern recognition, the filling in of gaps, or the tying together of disparate strings. It doesn't require Roger Stone setting this up as a political disruption scheme, or Cambridge Analytica mining personal data so they can target the weak minded with vague shitposts. Since Qanon was one of many supposed "insider" anons at the time, wouldn't Stone et al have to be behind all of them (since you never know which one will succeed)? Would he have to be a 4chan mod too (one would think at least one of the predictions would be worth a poo poo, if that were the case)? Hell, maybe 4chan, 8chan, and reddit are all being run by Trump operatives. They're all involved from the early days, after all. You see where this adding of unneeded explanatory variables leads?

Furthermore, all this info has been out there for at least a couple of years but nobody who's bought into Q gives a poo poo. NBC and any other major outlet that ever disagrees with them is probably just another member of the luciferian cabal according to Q numerologists, so to believe them would be heresy anyway. That's why handwringing over the cause is pointless. Could it be true that it's all an elite brainwashing scheme designed by shadowy figures in smoky backrooms? Sure. But until you have good solid evidence to believe that's the case, running away with unsupported claims doesn't help anything.

I do encourage talking to any friends who might be falling into the Q snare, though. I had to do that with a good friend this weekend because of the saveourchildren poo poo, and convince them that no, Tom Hanks is not in fact a pedophile satanist (that we know of), and it was not fun.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

How about this theory, then? There's good reason to believe that Q posts were likely started by Coleman Rodgers, founder of the Patriot Soapbox 24/7 youtube news channel dedicated to Q coverage. He was also Pamphlet Anon, moderator of the 4chan board where Q posted, and accidentally revealed he was logged into the Q account in a livestream. He was later caught analyzing a Q post that he had made while forgetting to log in to the account. It's also known that early Q posts were signal boosted by small time right wing youtubers contacted by these mods, and later by conspiracy redditors, in a bid for acquiring new followers for views and e-clout. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-three-conspiracy-theorists-took-q-sparked-qanon-n900531.

Now, a conspiracy movement being kicked off by grifters trying to make bank by hocking their wares to loonies is a far simpler explanation than a grand calculated psyop theory, and far more plausible to me because capitalism is not difficult to understand. And none of this requires pattern recognition, the filling in of gaps, or the tying together of disparate strings. It doesn't require Roger Stone setting this up as a political disruption scheme, or Cambridge Analytica mining personal data so they can target the weak minded with vague shitposts. Since Qanon was one of many supposed "insider" anons at the time, wouldn't Stone et al have to be behind all of them (since you never know which one will succeed)? Would he have to be a 4chan mod too (one would think at least one of the predictions would be worth a poo poo, if that were the case)? Hell, maybe 4chan, 8chan, and reddit are all being run by Trump operatives. They're all involved from the early days, after all. You see where this adding of unneeded explanatory variables leads?

Furthermore, all this info has been out there for at least a couple of years but nobody who's bought into Q gives a poo poo. NBC and any other major outlet that ever disagrees with them is probably just another member of the luciferian cabal according to Q numerologists, so to believe them would be heresy anyway. That's why handwringing over the cause is pointless. Could it be true that it's all an elite brainwashing scheme designed by shadowy figures in smoky backrooms? Sure. But until you have good solid evidence to believe that's the case, running away with unsupported claims doesn't help anything.

I do encourage talking to any friends who might be falling into the Q snare, though. I had to do that with a good friend this weekend because of the saveourchildren poo poo, and convince them that no, Tom Hanks is not in fact a pedophile satanist (that we know of), and it was not fun.

That is consistent with what I am suggesting.

If they used people like Coleman, it’s because that’s what they had. And to his credit, he got the job done.

If he can do it of his own accord, he can certainly do it with prompting, and here’s why the promoting is actually more likely:

1) The specific consistency with a certain agenda. For example:

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1026980259726385153?s=20

The chances of Coleman Rogers naturally falling on the list of "people who know what the GEC even is let alone give a poo poo about it", is far far closer to zero than an agency's.

2) If it was just a guy trying to make bank by hocking his wares, why would he make the early falsifiable predictions? You're right, capitalism is not hard to understand, and one of its principles would be, don't go out of your way to kneecap the premise of your business. That whole argument about how it couldn't be an agency because it was so poo poo, makes even less sense if you're doing it for financial reasons. In fact the only way it does make sense is if you're doing it for political reasons. If you're just running a disposable character to make a scene and/or have a good enough understanding of the hustle to know it won't hurt it.

3) How effective it's been. Regardless of how sloppy it looks, and we can all agree that it looks loving sloppy, poo poo has worked. Even with Trump at the centre. Imagine what they could do with a plausible premise. The idea that Coleman Rogers could pull something like this off on his bat, is, again, far less believable than an agency doing it. Let alone an agency that literally pitched the trump people on it.

It remains the only answer which is consistent with basically all of this evidence in all of these theories: https://medium.com/@travismview/who-is-really-behind-the-bonkers-qanon-conspiracy-theory-1e2ef1e08da2

And to suggest that it was just something Coleman Rogers made up is to ignore basically all of the evidence in 4 / 5 / 6.

quote:

Since Qanon was one of many supposed "insider" anons at the time, wouldn't Stone et al have to be behind all of them (since you never know which one will succeed)?

He was almost certainly behind FBIanon if that's what you're asking, as for the others, not sure, and not necessarily, who knows where the idea first arose.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

This can help, though. Far right groups near here have been doing exactly this to radicalise people and get support. They're doing community outreach programs, offering food and shelter to the homeless or otherwise vulnerable because it builds yheir group's position in the community as trusted figures and portrays them as friends rather than as angry internet racists who like a fight in the street. Even if only some of the people they help or who see them helping are being radicalised, the others are still less likely to stand against them because they're seeing them as good people.

If people who are vulnerable see you as someone trusted, someone who helps, then you're less likely to come across as the random One Of Them yelling at them that they are thinking wrong if you do try to talk to them about their beliefs, and gives you a starting point to share your worldview.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I think that's too narrow of an outlook, because I think it's important to look at more than just QAnon and only QAnon. I think if you want to fight QAnon you need to look at the causes that get people into it in the first place.

If you're looking at most QAnon people its largely affluent white people who don't need the help. They also tend to be the most "lost cause" scenario. They're the epitome of "can't logic someone out of a position they didn't logic themselves into" and they're probably there because they like the "Feeling" of being on the winning side, something that's hard to justify in a world where it seems like (to them) Trump just isn't getting anything done that he promised. This isn't really aimed at those people, they don't want the help and don't need it. Trying to convince them out of their bubble just causes a violent reaction as youre trying to rip them out of their bubble.

If you're looking at the people more on the fence who stumble on QAnon and get kind of tricked into it, thats more your market. The ideal is the mentally ill and desperate, because theyre the ones likely to get militant about it. Those people often fell into QAnon because nazis and the right gave them a community, and we really need to be better than them to get people to our side. If one side is offering community and the other is just yelling at you how the pedophile cult doesn't exist, on the surface the former looks appealing. It's important to show you do have investment in making people's lives better and are not doing it just to be another voice in the chorus of people yelling at them. Why should I listen to some guy on the internet who's just going to be belligerent at me? Or even if he's courteous about it, what actual evidence is there he's the right guy to listen, in a time with so much misinformation, to those not trained to pick up on this stuff it's just another guy trying to show he's right.

It's not that I don't think QAnon isn't an issue, but I think it's not the issue to the degree Bucky thinks it is. There's simply other things that are vastly more likely to convince people to vote for Donald Trump. Despite the rise it's still a small community and there's far more likely factors for normal people to vote for Trump and if you mire yourself in internet culture it seems more pervasive than it is. It's more that it's important to get out and do real good for real people. So you can get some perspective and see what issues are plaguing your average person.

Bucky also can't hear himself at this point that he sounds insane and is just yelling and getting belligerent at people who are ostensibly on his side. He isn't mad this thread doesn't believe QAnon is a threat, he's mad you don't believe the exact origin story he does. And when confronted about what to do with this information, he just gets defensive and asks him what you've done lately. I don't think he understand how badly that's going to harm the exact mission he's so obsessed with.

Bucky doesn't care about saving people he just wants to be right, and that's sort of the end game of all people who fall down the posting rabbithole.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 20, 2020

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I think Bucky does care about saving people though in addition to wanting to be right / agreed with. And I think his screencap is conclusive evidence that he made a positive difference in a QAnon stranger's life by reaching out to them and I hope he keeps it up if he wants to and continues to see it being effective. Local volunteering is great too.

I empathize with your frustration Bucky but you can be kinder to people here, the high energy just builds on itself and ultimately squelches people's appetite for participating in the thread I think. Save your excess energy for your good work.

edit: vvvv

He doesn't seem open to a different strategy at this time though, and I think he's been interpreting the suggestion as dismissive/adversarial. He's done a lot more than I have to push back against Q and I personally appreciate it. Until he's having a better day I feel I can cut him a break.

indiscriminately fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 20, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Every person saved is important, obviously, but I think the fact he keeps having to go back to this one person is evidence that his strategy might not be the most effective. The toll it's taking on his mental health (which is readily apparent to anyone reading this thread) is not really proportional to the good his strategy is doing. I'm suggesting trying a different a strategy.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 20, 2020

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

The chances of Coleman Rogers naturally falling on the list of "people who know what the GEC even is let alone give a poo poo about it", is far far closer to zero than an agency's.

In practice, though, he didn't have to either know, or give a poo poo. This is due to the way whoever was Q back then (IMO probably Rogers) operated: they crowdsourced the slog of conspiracy 'research' to their QAnon 'bakers'. Then they scanned whatever Q topics were hot on Twitter (or Reddit, until doing 'Q Research' on there was banned), and picked out an already-rising theory to crown as Q-authenticated truth. You can still see the archived Great Awakening thread Q linked to on August the 7th, 2018 on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2018080...uffed_into_the/

Note that the actual original 'research' was on Twitter...

https://web.archive.org/web/20180807222541if_/https://twitter.com/IvotedT/status/1026781534458662912

...but Q linked to the Reddit post. Note also that the account that actually posted the 'research', @IvotedT, had a small ~5K following, but they were conversing with a fellow QAnon believer with a much bigger following, @LisaMei62. Someone from her much larger following then posted the 'research' to Reddit...where Q picked it up as it became either 'hot' or 'rising', and posted about it as Q on 8chan, in a sort of conspiracy ouroboros. But no effort, research, or cunning on Q's own part was needed; he only needed to notice what his 'players' thought was interesting on the Great Awakening board, and post to 8chan affirming it was so.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Sometimes it helps to state observations in clear and simple terms

The chief of staff to the President went on TV and claimed that the lack of evidence of a conspiracy is itself evidence of the conspiracy. In this case he was referring to election fraud in regards to mail in voting but I see no reason why this logic wouldn't apply to Q as well.

There are two options here:

1. He believes this to be a true statement
2. He believes this to be a false statement

That it's logically required that the lack of evidence of a conspiracy is by definition evidence that there is no conspiracy is besides the point. Presumably, the people acting as Q also know that they have no evidence to support their conspiracy or they would have provided evidence that supports their conspiracy.

For the people whom this comment was targeted at there are actually 3 belief options:

1. They believe it to be a true statement
2. They believe it to be a false statement
3. The veracity of the comment is irrelevant

For #1 It's possible, if unlikely, that you can convince them that the statement is actually false if they can't already see it by inspection. You have to overlook some obvious flaws to have gotten to acceptance in the first place
For #2 They know it's false and understand that there is no conspiracy
For #3 They don't care if there is a conspiracy, doesn't matter in the slightest, the point is to support the actions of their side to whatever goal they are working towards

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 20, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

RagnarokAngel posted:

I offered real advice, do something in your community that affects positive change and show youre willing to do more work than "research" and "post". If you can show you actually have skin in the game people will listen to you. You have a compulsive need to believe posting will save us all so you keep doing it and won't question if maybe dedicating effort toward something else might affect real change.

I sometimes recieve advice like this when I post like Bucky Fullminster.
Not from anybody that pays attention to what I do IRL, though.

Bucky isn't loud about what they do IRL, and that doesn't make their posting pointless.

Posting is absolutely exactly the tool one needs to utilize to defeat a weaponized online cult.
You're not wrong about the need to be involved in one's immediate IRL social landscape. But if you can reach a real IRL human (as opposed to a sockpuppet) while posting, you're helping beat back the tide of evil.

e: if anyone's making soup for the homeless in South Bend, hit me up, I get hungry from time to time

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 20, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
honestly while I disagree with Bucky's "it was a psyop from the very beginning" I still believe in "it got co-opted into becoming a psyop sometime down the line", which make's

The cause categorically affects the level of the threat. It speaks to vastly different level of support they can throw at it. And implies a far more powerful network than we previously thought. It reveals their ideological agenda. And has extremely dangerous implications about where it will go next.

an accurate assessment

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Sticking my head in here to ask a quick question.

Did the QAnon idiots collectively create the whole "When we go one, we go all." phrase, or did they steal that from somewhere? Because much like the Swastika, that's a neat phrase completely ruined by those who appropriated it.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5T7Gr5oJbM

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cornwind Evil posted:

Did the QAnon idiots collectively create the whole "When we go one, we go all." phrase, or did they steal that from somewhere? Because much like the Swastika, that's a neat phrase completely ruined by those who appropriated it.

Is it a good phrase? To me it says, "We believe what the most deluded idiot in our gang believes"

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
"An Injury to One is an Injury to All" is way cooler anyway

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

wow

could they have picked a shittier movie

seriously that looks intolerable jeff bridges what are you doing

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Uglycat posted:

I sometimes recieve advice like this when I post like Bucky Fullminster.

If that happens a lot you should listen. Seriously, I'm speaking from personal experience, not to be dismissive. Posting isn't helping, it really isn't. You're not convincing anyone, youre putting your own mental health in jeopardy for a crusade you keep convincing yourself is worth any sacrifice. Stepping away from the computer and taking in the larger picture is *huge*.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Supposedly it's was on the bell of JFK's boat but I cant find any cited sources or photographic evidence. At the very least it's where many Q believers think it came from, so to them thats the origin.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 20, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

RagnarokAngel posted:

If that happens a lot you should listen. Seriously, I'm speaking from personal experience, not to be dismissive. Posting isn't helping, it really isn't. You're not convincing anyone, youre putting your own mental health in jeopardy for a crusade you keep convincing yourself is worth any sacrifice. Stepping away from the computer and taking in the larger picture is *huge*.

I don't disagree; sometimes the best advice for a poster is to log off, even when they're right. It helps if someone acknowledges the sense they're making, rather than a gang of people gaslighting and offering bad-faith advice or adament gainsaying.

I've spent most of the last 4 years offline, attending protests, hanging out at intentional communities, camping in autonomous zones, and generally immersed in the radicalized left and the disenfranchised left. I've been watching since late 2017 as leftists that fell for the Seth Rich stuff and crypto-fascists that fell for the Pizzagate stuff fell into Qanon. Most of my encounters with the qult have been IRL, and what I've seen has terrified me. That terror has waned a bit recently, as I've seen the qult make their play at influence - and bounce off a fairly sophisticated understanding by the media and the computer-toucher communities.

[redacted by the FSB]

Scroll through the account and see what poo poo a qultist has been sharing since early 2018. It /all/ aligns with the purposes of the figures Bucky Fullminster has been pointing to. All the way back to its origins.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 20, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think it's time for you to log off too.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Uglycat, I think as a general rule it would be better if people refrained from doxxing themselves.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

Uglycat, I think as a general rule it would be better if people refrained from doxxing themselves.

I ain't afeared.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If you want to share that information over discord or PMs then nobody can stop you, but there are too many potential complications to have people sharing the Facebook pages of random individuals in a D&D thread - even if the goon is claiming that it is their own Facebook page. And even if you're totally comfortable with that risk level, having people posting their personally identifiable information could attract attention we don't want. It's just a can of worms that is best left tightly sealed.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

If you want to share that information over discord or PMs then nobody can stop you, but there are too many potential complications to have people sharing the Facebook pages of random individuals in a D&D thread - even if the goon is claiming that it is their own Facebook page. And even if you're totally comfortable with that risk level, having people posting their personally identifiable information could attract attention we don't want. It's just a can of worms that is best left tightly sealed.

A'ight, I hear ya. It isn't irrelevant to the topic though. An' I don't see much sense in pretending fb is private when the poo poo you post public is every bit as public as twitter, and the user controls of the platform allow people to set privacy as they please...

I'll edit out the links, maybe post screenshots.

e- alright, you already got 'em. On the topic of whether or not Buck Fullminster needs to take a break from the forums, I've not been online all that much and I haven't been posting in this thread for pages arguing with people - I just popped in and shared that I agree with Buck, and people are hinting that /I/ need to get offline. One might conclude tentatively that 'log off' is a cudgel used to attack minority voices, rather than (excusively) good-faith concern for other posters' well-being.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 20, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The only point you're making is that you've been fighting this fight for a long time which is absolutely not in question.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

RagnarokAngel posted:

The only point you're making is that you've been fighting this fight for a long time which is absolutely not in question.

That is not the only point I'm making. I do wish the links alone had been edited out and not the text surrounding them, but...

The whole point was to encourage you to scroll through a qult account and see the kind of content it shared publicly, going back to 2018. The qanon anon podcast often does this, as an exercise. The narratives pushed, going back to the very beginning, all fit the aims and purposes of the specific people Buck has been pointing at as the creators of the weapon.

There's also the discussion of whether or not 'posting is praxis' (while battling a weaponized ARG that's spreading online). I am making the argument that it most definitely is, and if people who understood what Qanon is and the danger it poses were shouting warnings from the rooftops since 2018, it's potential power wanes significantly. And that's what I did. And that's what Buck is doing, and advocating for participation in. And he's been met with 'russiagat lol you're as bad as teh qult' idiocy.

e: I guess if anyone is interested in the exercise, PM me, I can send the links.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 20, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1296445720531210242?s=21

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
i liked qanon better when it was something you could laugh about :/

now its like fuuuuck how many people believe this poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

there are plenty of people who turn to insane conspiracy theory out of a sense of complete despair, hopelessness, and powerlessness. theres a reason 'homeless person rambling about conspiracy theories' is a stereotype. food, shelter, and feeling like the entire world doesnt hate them may help them start to reexamine their beliefs. its not a sure thing or anything but its at least something.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mackers posted:

In a way I think it'd be kind of comforting to believe that the world is so hosed up for a reason. Believing there's basically nobody at the helm, that a complete moron like Trump can become president, that we might as well be burning our own home down around us... the reality of today is pretty depressing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

In a way I think it'd be kind of comforting to believe that the world is so hosed up for a reason. Believing there's basically nobody at the helm, that a complete moron like Trump can become president, that we might as well be burning our own home down around us... the reality of today is pretty depressing.

I mean, that’s basically why that one poster earlier was getting so wrapped up in qanon being carefully orchestrated and didn’t want to countenance the aspects of it that are random and a function of larger systems breaking down. If it’s an aberration, it can be cured and we can protect against it in the future—Bannon and all of them can be rounded up etc. If it’s the chaos of late capitalism, who knows what will come next?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Mackers posted:

As many who need the constant dopamine jackoff feeling and want to get it through the path of least resistance and energy.

Also as many who want to feel like they're in control of SOMETHING, even if it's totally wrong and stupid. You can potentially reach these people. The core of their actions is rooted in fear, and no one likes being legitimately afraid.

Really, every conspiracy is basically 'I want to orgasm via jerking off but I also want to do it in three minutes every hour/without even touching my dick." It's entropy through narcissism.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Quote, surprisingly, is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
If you want something like Qanon you can laugh at, check out people going nuts over BLM in the background of Warren. Ah yes, she's signalling she's a real progressive because she supports BLM.