Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

I just realized what's going to happen in the last episode, thematically.

It's all of GBN, including all the Forces from the first Coalition battle, once again fighting over the fate of an AI. But this time everybody is fighting to save the AI! By Saving Alus they're all going to be making up for trying to destroy Sara! It's the redemption of the GBN playerbase! Everybody gets to Re Rise!

I love this show so much.

This is insane but at the same time it's so perfectly thematic for the show, I love it. In a way, it's even meta, even if unintentionally so. Build Divers itself gets to Re:Rise after a terrible show with one that takes what it did wrong and fixes it. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oh my god, ancient Freddie is adorable, and also that's clearly just Sarah and Eve, reinforcing the theory that the first el-divers were the ancients' consciousness integrating with GBN somehow.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love alus silent realisation that invading GBN wasn't the best idea once he saw like a million mechs waiting for him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I love alus silent realisation that invading GBN wasn't the best idea once he saw like a million mechs waiting for him.

I am a Genius!

OH NO

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

The problem with that reading is that Alus shows no actual indication he's sorry or wants to change but doesn't feel like he deserves it or can in the aftermath of the flashback, like Hiroto, Cuadron and others have over time. He has the flashback, seems to have had a revelation that "Holy poo poo, what have I been doing" and then the next time we see him, he seems to be exactly the same as he's always been. No conflict in his personality, no regret, just "If I can't win, then gently caress it all".

You're reading it wrong. It's not "If I can't win, then gently caress it all". It's "It's their fault! They ruined everything!"

He is angry and blaming the wrong people and lashing out to avoid blaming himself.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Also, regarding Alus never really growing as a threat: that's the point of his character. He isn't supposed to grow, at least not without the protagonists dragging him to his lowest point possible. He stubbornly repeats the same mantra the entire series. He isn't growing and evolving his strategy because he doesn't have the concept of change. The fact that he's aping Gunpla at all, let alone digging up more advanced models to throw out monster-of-the-week style is a bloody miracle.

I don't think it's a bad thing he never grew or altered his tactics. It all underscores the notion that he is someone clinging to the past and refusing to change with the times. He's the antithesis to Hiroto's thesis. Hiroto grew, adapted, and healed, becoming more that he was at the start by integrating new experiences and friendships. Alus doesn't do that, and largely remains the same threat he was at the beginning--a broken man with a superlaser--only now the heroes have grown beyond what Alus' static nature can handle.

Frankly, the final fight should have been easier for Build Divers. They already clowned on Alus, but like... clown him harder. Reeeeeally drive the point home.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 20, 2020

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

jackhunter64 posted:

And now there's a fake Turn X :allears:

This. THIS. You know they're gonna kit it.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Keep shooting beams, it'll fly into your line of fire they said. :allears:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The bow that May's Wodom gets looks like kitbashed skirt armor :aaaaa:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

The bow that May's Wodom gets looks like kitbashed skirt armor :aaaaa:

I was wondering what exactly the extra parts that didn't look like they matched anything on the WaDOM were, and then they did the super robot combination and I squealed like the dumb drooling fanboy I am. I'm a sucker for that poo poo, apparently.

Also, it looks like GundamInfo did some kind of megadump of movies and OVAs. I'm seeing a bunch of stuff including War in the Pocket, Unicorn, the Zeta movies...

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The new uploads are for the Gundam expo this weekend. There's a special website that even has a virtual Gundam Base.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
At least in Europe, none of the newly-uploaded stuff is viewable.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

That was insane and I loved every goddamn second.

I know going back I'm going to watch it again and be thinking more about the theme and how everything plays out, but after the week I've had what I really needed was pretty much exactly what we got: A clever use of the Nepteight's gimmick, Hiroto saying goodbye to Eve as they reached orbit, some short but satisfying one-on-one fights, the Fake Turn X and Psycho Daughtress, the Tertium riding Cuardon like Mr. Ral and Master Asia showing up at the end of the original Build Fighters, and a super-robot transformation to put the Try Zeta to shame. And then Alus' glorious Klim Nick moment right at the end.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Really good episode but it was kinda funny that all the Nepteight ever did was be a rocket booster.

Also

Yes, good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Droyer posted:

Really good episode but it was kinda funny that all the Nepteight ever did was be a rocket booster.

It's not a rocket booster, it's a solar sail thing like the Stargazer has.

edit: oh yeah, all it did functionally was be a rocket booster.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 20, 2020

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

why didnt the sponsors like beltorchika's children
why didn't you like zeta?

sup

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Well that was every bit as great as I was hoping it would be.

Wodom Pod being remote controlled with a gamepad by Mobile Doll May :allears:

always had been

https://twitter.com/KANETAKE/status/1296429516668248070?s=19

this was the best bit in the episode imo

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This episode was A Lot and I love the hell out of it. Their ultimate attack from the Lotus Challenge turning out to be combining into a Super Robot was amazing and a logical conclusion to Re:Rise's theme of the crew growing up as a team of close friends. We really have Kazami to thank for this since he said it was his (stupid) idea. :allears: Speaking of which, my favorite gag this episode was Kazami going "Fine, if you're gonna keep attacking me with Funnels, then I'll be a Funnel, too!" and everyone on the livestream chat being confused by his oneliner.

The non-battle bits were also pretty good. After relying on the Re:Rise team for protection all this time, Freddie speaking in behalf of the Eldorans and being the one to get through to Alus by thanking him and saying he can rest now was really sweet. And I guess the implication is that the Eldorans used to be pets of the Ancients that were left behind and evolved, so in a sense, they really have inherited Eldora.

I mentioned before how refreshing it was to have Hinata or Hiroto's parents have lives outside GBN, so I appreciate how well they tied that into the series' themes. Sure, the bow ritual doesn't have anything to do with GBN or Eldora, but what Hinata's doing is just as valid because the people watching her can also be affected and inspired by it. I had a large grin on my face when Hiroto and Hinata were shown side-by-side and shot at the same time.

tsob posted:

I enjoyed what I was, but I was kind of hoping for more myself. A problem that I was fearing, and that it looks like is bearing out is that the show spent so long building up the protagonists but spent no time building up Alus as an equivalent threat and it's made his final defeat kind of underwhelming. He hasn't really changed or gotten anything new since the first season, despite the Divers getting upgraded mobile suits, Cuadron's help, Masaki's help and a new combiner form. If anything, he's actually gotten weaker, because the Divers took his best pawn away from him, which made them as much stronger as it made him weaker. In return, all he did was use some new gunpla pawns, all of which were defeated immediatey every time he rolled them out. It doesn't really help make him all that much of a threat. It was fun seeing everyone beat one of his Gunpla this episode, but it was basically just a round of 1 v 1's that were done in a few seconds, and then the fight was essentially over. Nice for what it is, but kind of unsatisfying at the same time.

I don't quite agree with this assessment. The first episode had the Re:Rise crew almost lose to three mooks and Alus hasn't put much effort into fights back then. During the final battle of S1, Alus took full control and they couldn't do anything to him. And while he's being hampered by being a malfunctioning AI, Alus was still able to copy Gunpla ideas from Hiroto's armors and GBN.

It's just that Hiroto and the others have been constantly improving over the course of the series, culminating in them taking on the Lotus challenge while being schooled by the top GBN players on what their weaknesses were. So the fact they've been able to deal with Alus so effectively and decisively isn't because Alus was lacking as a threat, it's because Hiroto and the others have completely earned this victory.

Droyer posted:

Hah, I agree. On the other hand, the Nepteight is based off the Stargazer Gundam, which was supposed to be used only for deep space exploration, so it was kinda nice that they respected that lore with regard to the Nepteight.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Alus: I will take the full might of my army and wipe out these people of gunpla

GBN Players:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Alus: I will take the full might of my army and wipe out these people of gunpla

GBN Players:

His face was amazing. That's the face of someone who know's he's in real deep poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I liked how it took him about five seconds to figure out how to hack into GBN once he decided to do it. Magee’s greeting was excellent.

GBN is both a general AI spawning pool as well as a beacon for interstellar invasions; how long will they let it go before they turn it off?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Midjack posted:

I liked how it took him about five seconds to figure out how to hack into GBN once he decided to do it. Magee’s greeting was excellent.

GBN is both a general AI spawning pool as well as a beacon for interstellar invasions; how long will they let it go before they turn it off?

Given that the response to "GBN can generate fully sapient AI" was "GBN is so important that we're going to try to delete the fully sapient AI that is incidentally bugging out the game rather than let Gunpla Game be infringed upon", probably never.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

I liked how it took him about five seconds to figure out how to hack into GBN once he decided to do it.

It has to be the single least secured system on the Internet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's funny how for the average GBN player, they'll just see this as a group finishing a secret mission which then triggered a boss raid. At least Alus wouldn't end up being an Absolute Virtue situation. :v:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

'Reverse Turn X' - This, but moreso;

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

No, you see rather than turning the X upside down they mirrored the X so it's back to front. Totally different, see there you got an X by turning it and here you got an X by flipping it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Weird coincidence, I had seen this on Twitter maybe a day before the episode aired
https://twitter.com/waiting4wt/status/1296097702338412547?s=20

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

Given that the response to "GBN can generate fully sapient AI" was "GBN is so important that we're going to try to delete the fully sapient AI that is incidentally bugging out the game rather than let Gunpla Game be infringed upon", probably never.

Good lord this was so frustrating back when this was airing. There's no hint that fully developed AI's existed in this world, so GBN created a goddamn miracle. But instead they chose to keep a video game going rather than maintaining the holy grail of computer science. No one even brings up the idea that they're murdering a sentient being, but talk about how GBN is important.

God, Build Divers just sucked on every level.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I really wish there was more insider the writers room stuff to know why they do stupid poo poo like that. I assume its because they're all burnt out and don't give a gently caress but still.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Good lord this was so frustrating back when this was airing. There's no hint that fully developed AI's existed in this world, so GBN created a goddamn miracle. But instead they chose to keep a video game going rather than maintaining the holy grail of computer science. No one even brings up the idea that they're murdering a sentient being, but talk about how GBN is important.

God, Build Divers just sucked on every level.

To be fair, that's probably accurate to actual video game companies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

To be fair, that's probably accurate to actual video game companies.

Even from an impossibly greedy late stage capitalist standpoint that doesn't care at all about the people involved, "we figured out how to make thinking AI by accident" is several orders of magnitude more potential power and profit than "we are running the biggest MMO in the world".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they must be really afraid of ai

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

lol if the devs are all Internet rationalists should started screaming about basilisks as soon as Sarah showed up.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

dogsicle posted:

Can't be because they don't object to the fact that their making sentient Ai's, just that they ruining a video game! Once the game is fixed they don't have a problem with GBN continuing to generate them.

GBN really is the be all and and end all of this world.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

why didn't you like zeta?

I don't hate zeta it's just very uneven as opposed to something like gundam wing in which every episode is a banger. Also i just want to see more people in highzacks going BWOOOOAH right before char blows them up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/randall_kznr/status/1296849275570147328?s=21

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I really wish there was more insider the writers room stuff to know why they do stupid poo poo like that. I assume its because they're all burnt out and don't give a gently caress but still.

I think this explains 95% of try as well, a lot of ideas that could have been expanded and all the scene writers took the easy way out. Even if the ideas were initially really badly thought out, their resolution is often time even worse.

At least re:rise took those bad ideas and found a way to fit them into the story and actually make them coherent and emotionally satisfying when the tie the loop around them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I certainly appreciate that while there was a lot about Build Divers that Re:Rise chose to reimagine or discard, it still went 'yes, we definitely need more Magee'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Can't be because they don't object to the fact that their making sentient Ai's, just that they ruining a video game! Once the game is fixed they don't have a problem with GBN continuing to generate them.

GBN really is the be all and and end all of this world.

Nah, that's the retcon for Re:Rise. Build Divers is even dumber because it was a straight "Huh, the game created a fully self-aware AI out of floating-point variables in our game code. We really should patch that, it's breaking the game and making users unhappy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

I certainly appreciate that while there was a lot about Build Divers that Re:Rise chose to reimagine or discard, it still went 'yes, we definitely need more Magee'.

:hai:

I do love how Magee's both openly queer and a major supporting character for both series. :swoon: