Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

iOS 14 public beta shows me that Pandora reads your clipboard every time you go into the app. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In hind sight it seems weird it took over a decade for this to become a feature

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The irony is that all apps probably just did this by default but now everyone knows about the function and will deploy it maliciously.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

cowofwar posted:

The irony is that all apps probably just did this by default but now everyone knows about the function and will deploy it maliciously.

This. Every app most likely did or still does.

It's like when the OS started showing when apps accessed your location. People were freaking out how often apps did it, even the ones that don't really need your location to be useful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Where's the irony? You can just block it, no?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Not if you're running iOS13 or below, which nearly everyone is right now.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rinkles posted:

The irony is that bringing attention and increasing user awareness of this issue probably is hurting more than helping.

The solution is Apple removing that ability from apps or making that ability opt-in by the user rather than just informing the user that it is happening.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cowofwar posted:

The irony is that bringing attention and increasing user awareness of this issue probably is hurting more than helping.

The solution is Apple removing that ability from apps or making that ability opt-in by the user rather than just informing the user that it is happening.

ah, i thought ios14 made it opt in

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I thought they are.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

so far iirc it just tells you when it happens.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Question Mark Mound posted:

Speaking of things that should be simple between an iPhone and a PC. Doesn’t anyone have an issue when syncing an iTunes library to an iPhone where some songs just won’t sync? As in they’ll show up on my iPhone but when I click play nothing happens. Sometimes if I change something in the ID3 tags and re-sync and do that a few times over the song will start working again.

The mp3 is there, and it plays just fine in iTunes on my computer, just something about the sync process messes up and there’s no way to find out which songs broke until I try to play them on my phone.

This happens to me a lot. What I ended up doing is enabling list checkboxes in iTunes preferences, and selecting "sync only checked items" when I connect my phone.

When I discover a phantom non-playing song on my phone, I uncheck the song in iTunes and perform a sync. Then just re-check the song and sync again. So far this has worked for me every time.

I think this is just an issue with very large local libraries. I never had the problem until I had a 512GB phone, which is also when I started syncing my entire library.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rinkles posted:

I think they're also making a system whereby apps can register a regex that they care about.
So if you switch to Awful app and you have a forums.somethingawful.com URL in your clipboard it will do the needful.
But if you have a dick pick hanging around on your clipboard then it won't be able to read it and post it to DPPH.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Minidust posted:

This happens to me a lot. What I ended up doing is enabling list checkboxes in iTunes preferences, and selecting "sync only checked items" when I connect my phone.

When I discover a phantom non-playing song on my phone, I uncheck the song in iTunes and perform a sync. Then just re-check the song and sync again. So far this has worked for me every time.

I think this is just an issue with very large local libraries. I never had the problem until I had a 512GB phone, which is also when I started syncing my entire library.
I’ll give this a shot, thanks! I’ve always synced my entire library in the past since I only use iTunes for songs I want on my phone.

Just pretty frustrating for times (not right now obviously) where I’m away from my PC for a few weeks on holiday and the song I’m really in the mood to listen to is one of the songs that doesn’t work.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not if you're running iOS13 or below, which nearly everyone is right now.

Chances are, instead of being pushed into not snooping the clipboard, most devs are just going to detect the OS version and continue to snoop if osver < 14

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It’s so prevalent where I don’t even think it’s malicious half the time, just some lazy devs asking for permission to everything they can just in case it’s needed but not actually doing anything with it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What was the rumor about iPhone 12 sizes again? Trying to get a sense of phone sizes versus my current one. I've got big hands but the 6S Plus size is kind of too annoying to use day to day without sometimes needing my free hand or using the screen drop feature (how does that work without the home button?).

The 11 Pro looks like the perfect balance between physical size and available screen, and I remember really liking the X when I tried it out. Are the screen sizes being swapped for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, with the lower cost one getting the smaller screen?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

non-pro will be 5.4" and 6.1", pro will be 6.1" and 6.7". allegedly.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Weedle posted:

non-pro will be 5.4" and 6.1", pro will be 6.1" and 6.7". allegedly.

I really hope that rumor is wrong, because it's going to be really upsetting if I have to get a bigger phone (currently have an XS) to get the good camera... I was so excited about the 5.4" size.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

vote_no posted:

I really hope that rumor is wrong, because it's going to be really upsetting if I have to get a bigger phone (currently have an XS) to get the good camera... I was so excited about the 5.4" size.

Same but it probably isn’t. I just hope the second lens is the wide lens rather than portrait.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A 5.4” pro would be the perfect phone (for me) so it obviously won’t happen

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve been wishing their smaller phones would have parity with the camera features of the big ones for years. It’ll never happen. We’re lucky to even be getting 2 cameras on one that small.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

iOS 14 public beta shows me that Pandora reads your clipboard every time you go into the app. Good stuff.

FWIW, here’s their response when I asked them via social media:

quote:

This is going to be a long reply, but we want to make sure we give you all the information:

Starting with iOS 14, a notification will be shown every time an app or widget reads the clipboard. The Pandora app has historically used the clipboard for a process called “deferred deep linking,” which allows a user to tap on a link outside of the app and land directly into the specific view within the app that the user intended to reach. When a user tapped on a deferred deep link, a specific URL would be copied to the clipboard, which could then be read by the app the next time it was opened. The app checked the clipboard for these URLs every time it was opened to find out whether a user had just tapped on a deferred deep link.

The Pandora app would detect a deferred deep link by reading the clipboard to determine if a Pandora-specific deep link URL was present. If the URL was not present, no action was taken; if the URL was present, the Pandora app would immediately take the action associated with the URL (e.g. play a particular track or load an album or playlist). In either case, no clipboard data was stored in the app or sent anywhere outside of the app.

Pandora is modifying the Pandora iOS app so that it will no longer read the clipboard on launch, and we expect these changes to be in place in time for the full rollout of iOS 14 this fall.

The Pandora app also incorporates pieces of software from third parties that enable additional functionality, such as social features or advertising. We expect that those third party developers will release new versions of their software and we plan to include those new versions in time for iOS 14. In some cases, these features will eliminate clipboard usage, while in other cases, clipboard usage may still be needed and you may be presented with a prompt explaining the reason for such use.

If you have further questions, please reach out to our support team here: https://pdora.co/writeus

So yeah, good for them for taking it out (prob if osver >= 14, as suggested).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apple's filed a cloud gaming patent.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-files-patent-demand-cloud-220517596.html

a) Sure nice timing. :psyduck:

b) If that poo poo gets granted, then what the gently caress. It's prior art, and the transport protocol means gently caress all (5G this and that) and shouldn't be a differentiator as to set themselves apart from existing services.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apple's filed a cloud gaming patent.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-files-patent-demand-cloud-220517596.html

a) Sure nice timing. :psyduck:

b) If that poo poo gets granted, then what the gently caress. It's prior art, and the transport protocol means gently caress all (5G this and that) and shouldn't be a differentiator as to set themselves apart from existing services.

I haven't read the application yet but it's important to note that

1) you can see the details and read the application directly on WIPO's PatentScope here: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020163635

2) this is a PCT application that has not yet entered the national phase in any PCT member states. It is not a patent yet, and still has several years of examination ahead before it might or might not be granted. The national phase won't begin until August 2021.

3) Apple already has a couple hurdles to clear vis-a-vis X and Y prior art noted by the EPO in their written opinion, and I'm sure there are a lot of eyes following this application that will be happy to litigate it to hell and back if it is ever granted.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

FWIW, here’s their response when I asked them via social media:

So yeah, good for them for taking it out (prob if osver >= 14, as suggested).

Yeah there's a ton of apps that read the clipboard to do very cool app-specific things and are not for nefarious purposes and, unless they make the design changes Apple wants them to make by the time iOS 14 comes out, are going to get yelled at by a lot of uninformed people come September.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's still the app developers being stupid, universal links have been in iOS for a while (2018 I think?) and they could have registered their "deferred deep link" properly at any time since then to allow a user to tap the link and do a thing in an app. Granted Apple still takes some of the blame because it should have been a feature 10 years ago, it led to the development of a lot of bad practices (like habitually scanning the clipboard), but it's not like they haven't had a lot of time to fix it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

xzzy posted:

It's still the app developers being stupid, universal links have been in iOS for a while (2018 I think?) and they could have registered their "deferred deep link" properly at any time since then to allow a user to tap the link and do a thing in an app. Granted Apple still takes some of the blame because it should have been a feature 10 years ago, it led to the development of a lot of bad practices (like habitually scanning the clipboard), but it's not like they haven't had a lot of time to fix it.
don't those have to be specifically to do things in an app (ie. not a generic https link)?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I haven't read the application yet but it's important to note that

1) you can see the details and read the application directly on WIPO's PatentScope here: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020163635

2) this is a PCT application that has not yet entered the national phase in any PCT member states. It is not a patent yet, and still has several years of examination ahead before it might or might not be granted. The national phase won't begin until August 2021.

3) Apple already has a couple hurdles to clear vis-a-vis X and Y prior art noted by the EPO in their written opinion, and I'm sure there are a lot of eyes following this application that will be happy to litigate it to hell and back if it is ever granted.

Also it isn’t a “cloud gaming with 5G patent”, it’s basically trying to claim specific routing techniques for selecting a cloud gaming server when you’re on a wireless network, with some of the claims being more specific to cellular networks, and some dealing with particular structures for doing auth and updates. Maybe still not valid, but it’s not trying to own “cloud gaming, only 5G.”

E: literally never trust mainstream press outlets when the story is about patent applications, the reporters invariably don’t know a loving thing.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Kalman posted:

E: literally never trust mainstream press outlets when the story is about patent applications, the reporters invariably don’t know a loving thing.

Amen.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly I might just get the 11 Pro if the rumour is true, cheaper, still good.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can’t seem to find my Notes app icon anymore. It’s still installed and usable from spotlight but it’s not on my phone screens or any folder. I dunno if I accidentally hide it? How do I get it back?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Housh posted:

I can’t seem to find my Notes app icon anymore. It’s still installed and usable from spotlight but it’s not on my phone screens or any folder. I dunno if I accidentally hide it? How do I get it back?

What happens if you search for it in the app store?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I used to always get a new iPhone at least every other generation but I’m still on an 8 plus and it still works so well it’s almost confusing. I’ve been putting so many hours in it during my long pandemic induced unemployment that I’m also just shocked the battery still holds a charge.

Hopefully it stays as responsive as it is now because I can’t really afford to replace it even if I wanted to :ohdear:

Also I don’t want to lose my home button :v:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

What happens if you search for it in the app store?
It says open and it is installed and works on my phone. Just the icon is gone. No idea what happened.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you on the beta? You can have apps that are only in the library but not on the Home Screen if that’s the case.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Housh posted:

It says open and it is installed and works on my phone. Just the icon is gone. No idea what happened.

Try a hard reset. That's definitely an odd one.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Are you on the beta? You can have apps that are only in the library but not on the Home Screen if that’s the case.

Oh yeah I didn't even think to ask that.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Try a hard reset. That's definitely an odd one.
Not on the beta but a hard reset brought it back. That was weird.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don't cheap out on your screen protectors. I applied mine five days ago, haven't dropped the phone once and yet somehow there's already a slight crack.

It was $5 down from $10. Brand probably matters as much as price. This was a generic Brookstone one.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 21, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Yeah there's a ton of apps that read the clipboard to do very cool app-specific things and are not for nefarious purposes and, unless they make the design changes Apple wants them to make by the time iOS 14 comes out, are going to get yelled at by a lot of uninformed people come September.

It’s the dev’s fault we’re uninformed. Reading the clipboard (like tracking location) is a mild security risk and a lot of devs are doing clever things for our convenience or just running frameworks that thoughtlessly do this insecure thing invisibly. If we can’t understand why they need to read our clipboard without asking that’s on them, not us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Don't cheap out on your screen protectors. I applied mine five days ago, haven't dropped the phone once and yet somehow there's already a slight crack.

It was $5 down from $10. Brand probably matters as much as price. This was a generic Brookstone one.

Weekly thread reminder that unless you have a lifestyle significantly different from the boring sedentary median that regularly puts your phone in harm's way/around sharp metal, screen protectors do almost nothing.

I'm a car guy so a decent analogy is the useless things car dealers will sell you, like VIN etching or nitrogen filled tires.