Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

New Microsoft Flight Simulator disguises its initial download as a simple couple gigabytes or so, but then is like "OK I'm gonna download 100+ gigabytes now" when you start the actual program

AND THE LAUNCHER JUST SITS THERE BLASTING THEIR SMOOTH FLIGHT SIMULATOR SOUNDTRACK AT 100% VOLUME THE WHOLE TIME IT'S SITTING THERE DOWNLOADING
:negative::negative::negative:

You can turn mute it in the volume mixer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gaius Marius posted:

You can turn mute it in the volume mixer

Thank you for helping me find this, but I also believe the "you can disable this at an operating system level but no, we will not provide any native options" still stands alongside my initial complaint

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thank you for helping me find this, but I also believe the "you can disable this at an operating system level but no, we will not provide any native options" still stands alongside my initial complaint

You’re still using a Microsoft product. Close enough.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

making my computer unusable for who-knows-how-many hours with no apparent way to get around it, all because I felt like trying a product made by one of the world's major tech corporations
and the part that surprises you is...?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I figured they'd at least pretend to make it competent on a basic level, I realize my mistake

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's really surprising how many people seem to have never used the volume mixer. It's been around since at least win 7, and I use it nearly every day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mostly I ignore it because Windows generally sets the max volume of everything at about 70% of what I'd think is reasonable with headphones, so I mostly keep the master volume maxed out and forget that there might ever be a reason to look at individual programs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really surprising how many people seem to have never used the volume mixer. It's been around since at least win 7, and I use it nearly every day.

Vista I think

But the complaint of the installer blasting music is solid

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

the irritating thing is that if you pull the volume for an individual program up, it has the net effect of permanently lowering the volume of every other program. I don't like that.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the most literal :wtf::psyboom: moment I've had in a while, like, I'm trying to be legit here and they're just making my computer unusable for who-knows-how-many hours with no apparent way to get around it, all because I felt like trying a product made by one of the world's major tech corporations.

Because running their launcher counts as running the game and oops youre over the refund time limit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Valve has now said download time won't count against the refund limit. Whichever way they're going to measure that, but it's a thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, I legit can't tell if it's actually super deep AI, or if the game glitched and forgot that I'd passed my diplomacy check.

I do know that when my anger subsides to the point I can play again I'm killing every mother fucker on the map without a word.

That's a particular mission type you'll notice plays out consistently. They are trying to lure you into a false sense of security. And that NPC will die automatically as soon as they aggro. I have done that mission type, ditched the person who hired me literally on the other side of the map, and when the group has aggro'd the NPC that hired me has dropped dead of an exploded head.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Okay, thanks. I am comforted by the knowledge that it is an actual scripted event. I've been burned by too many glitches in the past, so it's almost like a software equivalent of putting something up to incompetence instead of malice.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

rydiafan posted:

actual scripted event

Farcry 5: I got teleported out of a flying aircraft to do a boss sequence where they supposedly drug and abduct you...but I was alone in an airplane and it would have been impossible. Seriously just wait till I land or something, ugh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Farcry 5: I got teleported out of a flying aircraft to do a boss sequence where they supposedly drug and abduct you...but I was alone in an airplane and it would have been impossible. Seriously just wait till I land or something, ugh.

Alternately, have a cool scene where a team of highly trained mercenaries rappels down from a larger plane to extract you, and I think I'd be back on board.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Alternately, have a cool scene where a team of highly trained mercenaries rappels down from a larger plane to extract you, and I think I'd be back on board.

Some of the situations were, go to place, initiate sequence, get abducted, start boss fight. But then they had the random ones and it was just beyond jarring and pointless. Farcry 4 was just such a great game for me, and I had high hopes for 5, thinking at minimum the gameplay and upgrades would be rewarding, lol nope, the whole thing felt like they let the people who made farcry primal make it, like a total backslide on progress of concepts.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Buying games you've never played before and the Complete edition is the only/cheapest option available.

As soon as you start the new game:

SEASON 7 PASS NOW AVAILABLE! Check store page for details!

Content Unlocked! 37 DLC Weapons added
Content Unlocked! New Campaign added "Here We Go Again"
Content Unlocked! New Difficulty Mode: Kill Me Dead
Content Unlocked! New Player XP multiplier 10x 6d23h59m

Community Challenge! Complete the "Harder They Fall" bounty: 15,715/20,000 4d5h13m

New Outfit Available!
New Outfit Available!

$100,000,000 credits added to account

New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available

I haven't even started the tutorial and already my HUD and minimap is crammed full of nonsense :confused:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Eclipse12 posted:

Buying games you've never played before and the Complete edition is the only/cheapest option available.

Community Challenge! Complete the "Harder They Fall" bounty: 15,715/20,000 4d5h13m

New Outfit Available!
New Outfit Available!

New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available

I haven't even started the tutorial and already my HUD and minimap is crammed full of nonsense :confused:

This + the 2 hour long installation process killed my enjoyment of GTA Online before I even started.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Eclipse12 posted:

New Outfit Available!
New Outfit Available!

New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available
New Mission Available

Ah, I see someone else has played God Eater 3 on Switch.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Paper Mario: The Origami King is incredibly charming, but it's been five hours and I'd really like to be attacked at some point. Somebody PLEASE take my hit points.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Take my hit points... please!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Eclipse12 posted:

The store in Dead Space 2 on PC is such a mess because of this. All the DLC outfits and weapons unlock right away so it's completely cluttered with them and it destroys the game balance if you don't know to ignore all of it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The store in Dead Space 2 on PC is such a mess because of this. All the DLC outfits and weapons unlock right away so it's completely cluttered with them and it destroys the game balance if you don't know to ignore all of it.

Unless it's been changed, the version on Origin was never updated to include all the DLC poo poo. So you can either play there for a 'pure' playthrough or if you're crazy (like me) you can take the exe from the Origin version and put it in the Steam version to 'downgrade' to the non-DLC version.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Halo CE in the Master Chief Collection: The HD graphics don't render bullet holes, blood, or plasma burns. I really like the remaster in parts... interiors of frequently better lit and i like how nice some of the outside vistas look... but i dont wanna play without thoses other details.

at least you can quickly tab between modes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Riatsala posted:

This + the 2 hour long installation process killed my enjoyment of GTA Online before I even started.

Yeah if we wanna talk long installs GTAV/Online is *pretty* bad- especially since so much of it is with their internal launcher/loader/whatever, which doesn't show any kind of progress (or at least didn't on the 360.)

I like Tangerine Dream well enough but it was a bit much.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Sally posted:

Halo CE in the Master Chief Collection: The HD graphics don't render bullet holes, blood, or plasma burns. I really like the remaster in parts... interiors of frequently better lit and i like how nice some of the outside vistas look... but i dont wanna play without thoses other details.

at least you can quickly tab between modes.

Be careful with that, a lot of terrain that exists in New graphics doesn't in Old, and it's the Old physics grids they use. It's really noticeable halfway through Truth and Reconciliation, when you're storming the gravity lift - a fair chunk of the cliff edge doesn't really exist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JackSplater posted:

Be careful with that, a lot of terrain that exists in New graphics doesn't in Old, and it's the Old physics grids they use. It's really noticeable halfway through Truth and Reconciliation, when you're storming the gravity lift - a fair chunk of the cliff edge doesn't really exist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah if we wanna talk long installs GTAV/Online is *pretty* bad- especially since so much of it is with their internal launcher/loader/whatever, which doesn't show any kind of progress (or at least didn't on the 360.)

I like Tangerine Dream well enough but it was a bit much.

Speaking of long installs......the new Microsoft Flight Sim installer is kinda borked. 100GB+ new install, plus the launcher/downloader has known issues where it gets stuck midway through or does the initial stall then gets forever stuck on the next update pack. Took me multiple tries and manually deleting it from the system to get it to work correctly, and after that point it was still a full day downloading all those gigabytes again after things were working properly :sigh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JackSplater posted:

lmao what the gently caress?! seriously? i noticed that they didnt match up oneforone but didnt think it went that far. add that to the little things dragging it down!

also, i just discovered that the newly added skulls are only visible on HD mode. they disappear and cant be picked up in original graphics. weird choice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sally posted:

lmao what the gently caress?! seriously? i noticed that they didnt match up oneforone but didnt think it went that far. add that to the little things dragging it down!

also, i just discovered that the newly added skulls are only visible on HD mode. they disappear and cant be picked up in original graphics. weird choice.

If I remember its because the "trick" is that its running both games at once. You're not switching between graphics per se but entire simultaneously running instances so stuff that only exists in the updated version has no equivalent in the other.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Some of the situations were, go to place, initiate sequence, get abducted, start boss fight. But then they had the random ones and it was just beyond jarring and pointless. Farcry 4 was just such a great game for me, and I had high hopes for 5, thinking at minimum the gameplay and upgrades would be rewarding, lol nope, the whole thing felt like they let the people who made farcry primal make it, like a total backslide on progress of concepts.

This is a weird take to me because I thought Primal was really good. Far better than it had any right to be, really.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

If I remember its because the "trick" is that its running both games at once. You're not switching between graphics per se but entire simultaneously running instances so stuff that only exists in the updated version has no equivalent in the other.

That seems like... not an elegant way to handle it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Isn’t that how the PYF game glitch thread for its title? The old code fucks with multiplayer somehow despite not being the version that’s actually being played.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t that how the PYF game glitch thread for its title? The old code fucks with multiplayer somehow despite not being the version that’s actually being played.

Yes, one of the most beautiful instances of game programming in practice.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

There's a glitch in Neon Abyss where one of the game rooms is broken in a good way (keeps letting you play it, which can lead to having all the items in the game) if you have vsync off, but runs normally if it's on. Coming out of early access was rushed but they've been putting out lots of updates.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Qwertycoatl posted:

That part where your character is injured or something and can only walk very slowly

Escape from Tarkov

Getting into a firefight and winning/losing them but getting all hosed up and having to slowly drag your grunting and gasping dude to the exit before something else kills them and you lose all your loot gets pretty intense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just got enter the gungeon since it was free on epic. Doesn't work with my switch pro controller or my usb gamecube controller, so I try keyboard and mouse, which is kind of awkward for a twin stick shooter. I fight my way through some starting monsters and take some hits, finally get a chest and the item inside is an autoaim crutch, and a message pops up that 'you need it'

well, gently caress you too, game. how about you fix your own issues before nitpicking mine

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Aug 22, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Actually, as the person that coined that, as I understand it it was that a big glitch in the Halo 2 release in the Master Chief collection was caused by achievement detection code from Halo 3 somehow being loaded in.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

christmas boots posted:

That seems like... not an elegant way to handle it.

Worked for the SOTC remaster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Just got enter the gungeon since it was free on epic. Doesn't work with my switch pro controller or my usb gamecube controller, so I try keyboard and mouse, which is kind of awkward for a twin stick shooter. I fight my way through some starting monsters and take some hits, finally get a chest and the item inside is an autoaim crutch, and a message pops up that 'you need it'

well, gently caress you too, game. how about you fix your own issues before nitpicking mine

Git gud

No, seriously, the game works just fine with k+m and also supports XBox controllers. I 100% the game using a keyboard. It sounds like you're mad because you were playing a game for the first time and somehow weren't instantly perfect???

Also, you finding the crutch item at that time was just a coincidence. You're getting angry at jokey item descriptions lol