Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I just don't get it. It's not even a good story. There's a monkey who is a six year old's D&D character and beats up everything and uh... like 70% of the book is just nothing at all.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a loving slog of a book but the core of the story is great, I get why that one is so central to East Asian mythmaking.

The virgin journey to the west vs the chad water margin.

The Water margin is like 2000 pages of people getting drunk, beating up imperial officials, and burning poo poo down.

Everyone is a giant fuckup and hates the goverment. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SerCypher posted:

The Water margin is like 2000 pages of people getting drunk, beating up imperial officials, and burning poo poo down.

Yeah, but does it have a monkey?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Imagine how annoyed Chinese tourists to Kiribati will be that they can't walk on people all the time. Hopefully they can still enjoy eating food cooked using plastic wastes that wash up on the beach though!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah, but does it have a monkey?

I don't remember.

At one point a dude gets really drunk and beats a tiger to death.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Should I assume nobody is talking about the three gorges dam outside chud twitter because a collapse isn't actually that likely?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

night danger posted:

Should I assume nobody is talking about the three gorges dam outside chud twitter because a collapse isn't actually that likely?

No one knows besides the CCP.

My vote is that it will be fine unless the water levels get so high that they start to overflow the top or something.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

night danger posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/20/china-three-gorges-dam-highest-level-hydro-electric-floods

Made the UK press headlines without too much breathless hyperbole.

Ignorning the potential (and hopefully unlikely) dam collapse, the flooding is pretty horrific.

The CCP are in a poo poo position of their own making. They shot themselves in the foot and have zero credibility.
As such, it doesn't matter what they say at all.
If they speak to a concern, or if they don't.

A case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.
:rimshot:

url fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 21, 2020

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

night danger posted:

For a while it was looking bad, but the CCP has had boots on the ground doing damage control so at this point it's probably unlikely.

We'll have another crisis next year. I mean outside of the monumental flooding.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SerCypher posted:

The Water margin is like 200 pages of people getting drunk, beating up imperial officials, and burning poo poo down, and 1800 pages of telling you an exhaustive history behind why such-and-such bandit doesn't shave and how silk his shoes are.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
TBF that's the same ratio as The Fellowship of the Ring

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yea but the relative brevity made fellowship of the ring feel like pleasant YA pulp after reading water margin lol

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

McGavin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2nNljv0MOw

China remakes Journey to the West for the 1.4 billionth time. :nallears:

Now with dark souls characteristics!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

MyronMulch posted:

A western diplomat's staff would have figured out well in advance that such a thing was being proposed, and would launch into a bunch of negotiations ahead of time to work out how to stage a ceremony that would make everyone either equally happy or equally unhappy -- you know, DIPLOMACY.

oohhboy posted:

Why the gently caress would you do that? I say it again, it's like their state department is run by wilfully ignorant fresh off the UFO aliens.

Not So Fast posted:

It feels like they don't actually give a crap, because the media at home won't report on it anyway and that's who matters.
The CCP wants to rule a world it refuses to understand.

That's what I usually say, but I think I should update it to "The CCP wants to collect tribute from a world it refuses to understand," because it really looks like the CCP doesn't even want the token administrative responsibilities of a colonial power. It feels like they just want the old medieval vassal state setup they enjoyed during their 5000 years of history.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I think what is also important is that China's official response, when called out on the bad optics of having a representative of their government walk on the backs of subservient children, delivered at the highest level by trained diplomats was:

"You are all just jealous that we are friends with Kiribati. They like us because we aren't poopy faced Western Imperialists. So ner to you!"

Almost word for word.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I would love to be a fly on the wall (likely drywall that is actively crumbling and shedding carcinogens everywhere) at the CCP Diplomat Training Academy for Harmonious Relations just to see how terrible it must be.

Just think how bad and by bad, I mean hilarious, their role-play exercises must be.

Who am I kidding, it’s just rote lectures for weeks on end from a senior Party official for who’s never traveled abroad yet has a couple houses in Vancouver and his kids go to college in the US

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Tupperwarez posted:

It feels like they just want the old medieval vassal state setup they enjoyed during their 5000 years of history.

Martin Jacques was right?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Grand Fromage posted:

I just don't get it. It's not even a good story. There's a monkey who is a six year old's D&D character and beats up everything and uh... like 70% of the book is just nothing at all.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a loving slog of a book but the core of the story is great, I get why that one is so central to East Asian mythmaking.

the originals in written in Chinese is a good one, for "Journey to the West" 西遊記 at least.

while "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" 三國演義 is not the same thing as 三國志. 三國演義 is a novel of glorified history rewritten in Qing dynasty, while 三國志 is mostly a history book written AFTER the era of three kingdoms, so there are myths stuff here and there but not as bad as the novel.

and I always believe that literature pieces should be read in their original language, too much are lost during translation so it is not fair to judge it in alien languages. having said that I still haven't got to learn French for reading Soul Mountain......

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
whats the point of remaking it when Monkey Magic was both Japanese, and perfect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NK5KW7KFxc

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

SerCypher posted:

The Water Margin 水滸傳 is like watered down bitter beer, of failed rebellions against tyrant in power where all rebels ends up dying horribly or live their miserable life in the hell of regrets and betrayal. BTW CCP likes that picture a lot.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McGavin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2nNljv0MOw

is this weird comment section a target of the 50 cent army or are there really that many mainlanders bypassing the great firewall to hype this thing up in english on their own volition

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It looks fun, sorry bud.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yeah it looks p good.

And you might bitch about „too many remakes” but the main exposure people outside of china had to Journey to the West are Dragon Ball, Enslaved, and playing Wukong in Warframe

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McGavin posted:

Hard pass. Maybe they shouldn't have burned so many books.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Journey to the West needs more remakes because every adaptation of it (besides Dragon Ball if that counts) is really bad.

It's the stereotypical 'person acting like a monkey' thing people always do for Sun Wukong, where they do the shrill voice and bounce around like idiots that ruins them for me. I always get second hand embarrassment.

I don't know how else to play a monkey, but I hope someone figures it out someday.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Given how often Pride and Prejudice is remade by the BBC, I'm not judging china fir endless Journey to the West remakes.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BrainDance posted:

I don't know how else to play a monkey, but I hope someone figures it out someday.

Sun Wukong should eat people's hands and faces imo.

Monkeys are insanely hosed up and not enough media capitalize on it by making them the default funny animal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Does Sun Wukong throw his poo poo everywhere in this adaptation like normal monkeys?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

goblin week posted:

Yeah it looks p good.

And you might bitch about „too many remakes” but the main exposure people outside of china had to Journey to the West are Dragon Ball, Enslaved, and playing Wukong in Warframe

As mentioned before, the Japanese "Monkey Magic" TV show was mega huge here in Australia.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I didn't mean that it doesn't look cool (it does), just pointing out the weird comment section where there are lots of "this is monkey king, do you know?" and "the unnamed country can only salivate at chinese game superiority" and thought it was funny to see that on an IGN video

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

url posted:

Martin Jacques was right?

For a minute there I wondered if the Tiger Lillies had sung about China, its a dark enough subject.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

HerStuddMuffin posted:

E: Kiribati took the traditional jokes at the expense of foreign diplomats a bit too far. You’re only supposed to make them eat pig poo poo while telling them it’s a local delicacy and make them compliment you on the flavor, not trample your children and watch them squirm to explain how it’s actually a gesture of respect for your traditions to do it.

This reminds me. When we went to West Lake in Hangzhou we went and ate at the restaurant Nixon ate at and the waiters and the locals with us insisted we had to order the dish that was Nixon's favorite. It was a loving soup made with a vegetable grown in the lake in actual lake water. It tasted like what you would imagine. Just loving vile. Even the locals were saying it's horrible.

I figured what happened is Nixon knew that at a Chinese dinner like that if the guest of honor says a dish is his favorite everybody is supposed to eat a lot of it. So he picked the worst dish the restaurant had to be a dick.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

D-Pad posted:

It was a loving soup made with a vegetable grown in the lake in actual lake water.

In fairness this sounds like an accurate descripion of most Chinese soups.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As a GBS Chinathread poster in 2020 I must it very clear that I don't hate the Chinese people, I'm just opposed to their authoritarian and genocidal government.

Anyways, back to our discussion about how their food is disgusting, their classic literature trash, and their people shiftless crooks who lie about everything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mantis42 posted:

Anyways, back to our discussion about how their food is disgusting, their classic literature trash, and their people shiftless crooks who lie about everything.

Yo this is the China thread not the anglophone thread

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Mantis42 posted:

As a GBS Chinathread poster in 2020 I must it very clear that I don't hate the Chinese people, I'm just opposed to their authoritarian and genocidal government.

To have valid opinions we must only praise the soup

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mantis42 posted:

This isn't DnD. You are innocent until proven guilty.

Rabelais D posted:

In fairness this sounds like an accurate descripion of most Chinese soups.

Lines up visually. Restaurant house "soups" do look like lake water but can be quite tasty.

If Nixon did order literal lake soup that is a power move.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Lines up visually. Restaurant house "soups" do look like lake water but can be quite tasty.

If Nixon did order literal lake soup that is a power move.

I found a band-aid in my "House Soup" once.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bonus long pig.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kharnifex posted:

Imagine how annoyed Chinese tourists to Kiribati will be that they can't walk on people all the time. Hopefully they can still enjoy eating food cooked using plastic wastes that wash up on the beach though!

You mean like rice and coconut, steamed in a fleshlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

McGavin posted:

I found a band-aid in my "House Soup" once.

So this is that "good for healthy" thing I've heard so much about