Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I kind of hate Julia Louis Dreyfus now, though. The convention planner(s) who told her that tone was okay for the last day of a convention need(s) a beating too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Office Pig posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/markos/status/1296619189101158400
I feel like this kind of rhetoric is worth pointing out in light of the opening hours for the convention's final night. Jesus, we love Jesus, Christianity is great, blah blah. You get the idea. Real weird huh, almost as weird as Matt Yglesias proposing to spread the plague of Americans in the billions and Joe Biden being a lifelong Catholic who hates abortion. I'm sure that doesn't mean anything though, probably about as much as bringing in Colin Powell before yammering on about the ever-looming threat of the Chinese.

If nothing else I love the persistent idea these morons have that they can catch the Republicans out in their hypocrisy. No. One. Cares. Least of all the Republicans themselves. Please, out McConnell as a hypocrite. He'll just laugh at you and continue to block bills in the Senate because he's in charge and he doesn't care what you think, and his voters sure as hell don't care so long as they get what they want, and what they want is not actually "strong family values" or similar nonsense.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Somfin posted:

The questioning of spunkshui can cease, they've said the quiet part loud and now can peacefully await the verdict.

I've been asleep, but I put them in for longer than 24 hours cuz jfc that's extremely not acceptable.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 21, 2020

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If nothing else I love the persistent idea these morons have that they can catch the Republicans out in their hypocrisy. No. One. Cares. Least of all the Republicans themselves. Please, out McConnell as a hypocrite. He'll just laugh at you and continue to block bills in the Senate because he's in charge and he doesn't care what you think, and his voters sure as hell don't care so long as they get what they want, and what they want is not actually "strong family values" or similar nonsense.

Yeah, it baffles me that people still think this "prove the Republicans are hypocrites" thing will work.

Strong Family Values are whatever the Republicans tell their voters they are. The average Republican either doesn't care because they know they're voting for the racism, or they're the True Believer type who will wholeheartedly claim until they're blue in the face that Trump is the most god-fearing Christian man to walk the earth since Jesus himself, and they know it's true because he took time out of successfully draining the swamp to say so.

All it is is more pandering to evangelicals, because Dems would rather fight the Republicans over their base rather than work for theirs.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wicked Them Beats posted:

the_steve posted:

Yeah, it baffles me that people still think this "prove the Republicans are hypocrites" thing will work.

Strong Family Values are whatever the Republicans tell their voters they are. The average Republican either doesn't care because they know they're voting for the racism, or they're the True Believer type who will wholeheartedly claim until they're blue in the face that Trump is the most god-fearing Christian man to walk the earth since Jesus himself, and they know it's true because he took time out of successfully draining the swamp to say so.

All it is is more pandering to evangelicals, because Dems would rather fight the Republicans over their base rather than work for theirs.

They aren't doing this because they value any of that crap either. The Democrats crave the kind of social control that religious affect can afford a major organization like theirs. They don't really need it since there is apparently no such thing as a moral event horizon for small-d democrats, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a little fascism handy for your propaganda mill.

That, and if you're not going to give people health care or homes then it's not too bad of an idea to force women to pump out disposable labor and meat for the grinder Christian soldiers for a bright new America. Number has to go up, after all!

ded redd fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 21, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I've been asleep, but I put them in for longer than 24 hours cuz jfc that's extremely not acceptable.

Thank you.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I didnt watch Julia louis Dreyfus. can anyone tell me why it was so terrible? I made a pact with my parents that are also not voting for joe that we aren't watching that bullshit anymore. We are all pretty done with the democrats because of the direction they have been going for the last few decades.

I am going to guess it is going to be another tone deaf call to reason that people have to vote for joe because the other option is so terrible completely failing to mention that voting for joe is the culmination of things getting worse and worse over time and the reason we have someone as terrible as Trump is because of people like joe and how ineffectual they are at actually helping the average person. Is it just more gaslighting about how great the democrats are?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Office Pig posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/markos/status/1296619189101158400
I feel like this kind of rhetoric is worth pointing out in light of the opening hours for the convention's final night. Jesus, we love Jesus, Christianity is great, blah blah. You get the idea. Real weird huh, almost as weird as Matt Yglesias proposing to spread the plague of Americans in the billions and Joe Biden being a lifelong Catholic who hates abortion. I'm sure that doesn't mean anything though, probably about as much as bringing in Colin Powell before yammering on about the ever-looming threat of the Chinese.

The party of faith, electing a man who helped kill hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of women and children all around the globe

Hidden gospel of John 4:27
"And Jesus said, fly your bombers and blow them up, for they live across the globe and pose no threat to you. Murder them and make money for your donors, for that is the way into paradise"

Terror Sweat fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 21, 2020

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Terror Sweat posted:

The party of faith, electing a man who helped kill hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of women and children all around the globe

Hidden gospel of John 4:27
"And Jesus said, fly your bombers and blow them up, for they live across the globe and pose no threat to you. Murder them and make money for your donors, for that is the way into paradise"

Pretty sure very few of those people were Christians, so that still works from an evangelical perspective.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Since it was asked to be directed here: Gotta admit, of all the ways Biden is going to drag the party faithful right, I wasn't expecting "citing 1907 british law and a show explicitly set in the 1870's as good enough reason to marry and bed your dead brother's wife" to be one of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1296531194054676487

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Doomed country

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neurolimal posted:

Since it was asked to be directed here: Gotta admit, of all the ways Biden is going to drag the party faithful right, I wasn't expecting "citing 1907 british law and a show explicitly set in the 1870's as good enough reason to marry and bed your dead brother's wife" to be one of them.

Gotta admit, I wasn’t expecting “I hate Joe Biden and the loving libs” to be a reason to flog two people in deep grief, who do not work in politics, for their admittedly-weird-by-modern-standards sexual relationship.

(Oh wait, it’s actually incredibly unsurprising)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Gotta admit, I wasn’t expecting “I hate Joe Biden and the loving libs” to be a reason to flog two people in deep grief, who do not work in politics, for their admittedly-weird-by-modern-standards sexual relationship.

See, at least you're admitting it's weird, rather than citing century+ law, religious tribal marriages, or a historic TV show.

For the record, the Hunter conversation in USPOL started from mentioning that it's strange that Trump hasn't utilized several personal attacks more in-line with his usual cyberbullying of people. As I said then:

Neurolimal posted:

You seem to mistake musing about a missed opportunity as me thinking having a bad son is a significant political issue. It's not, and I'm talking about it from the viewpoint of "things Trump would/should do if he wanted to needle Biden."

I care far more about Biden's conservative stances and political record than I do Hunter's infidelity and incestual quirks. Though it does amuse me that the tough-on-crime guy's son is into cocaine.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The entire convention was made for and by people who mainline MSNBC. Just a massive effort in preaching to the choir. They are not going to convert a single Republican and they've alienated who knows how many leftists.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ManBoyChef posted:

I didnt watch Julia louis Dreyfus. can anyone tell me why it was so terrible? I made a pact with my parents that are also not voting for joe that we aren't watching that bullshit anymore. We are all pretty done with the democrats because of the direction they have been going for the last few decades.

To me, she came across as very smug, making all the "Drumpf" and "I'm a nasty woman!" and "he can't pronounce words" burns that suburban people seem to love. I think posters here would call her a "Wine Mom?"

Plus, she was doing these bits right after very somber segments about people dealing with real struggles without any kind of segue and it got really jarring to me. The last night's speaker line-up had a bunch of people I don't like either (like Bloomberg) so I suppose it stuck even more in my craw because I was already in a bad mood to start with.

Luckily, Biden came out with a good speech so her "look at me!" MCing isn't the strongest memory of the night.

I thought that kid was awesome too. Braver than I am.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Mellow Seas posted:

Idk if you can describe a guy who keeps getting sweetheart jobs to curry favor with his politician father as not working in politics.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Idk if you can describe a guy who keeps getting sweetheart jobs to curry favor with his politician father as not working in politics.

I dunno, nobody's ever seen him doing any work :v:

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Mellow Seas posted:

I dunno, nobody's ever seen him doing any work :v:

So he works about as much as jr and eric, then?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I did see the clip of the kid, that was good and seemed to have the only positive energy of the convention. Everything else felt like a funeral for a suicide victim.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hunter Biden banging his dead brother's wife wouldn't be so bad if you know, he wasn't married to someone else at the time

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the subject of Bidens outside the ur-Biden gestalt, why does Joe regularly get the number of grandchildren wrong? It's consistently 1-2 off so I dont think it's degrading faculties.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

On the subject of Bidens outside the ur-Biden gestalt, why does Joe regularly get the number of grandchildren wrong? It's consistently 1-2 off so I dont think it's degrading faculties.

Maybe he's not on board with Hunter having a kid out of wedlock or something. no idea

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

Maybe he's not on board with Hunter having a kid out of wedlock or something. no idea

It's a weird hiccup in the image of "look how much Biden loves his family". The baby shouldnt be punished for his father's actions. He's still a Biden.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hunter is pretty slimy, but, I appreciate him for making me feel like less of a failson.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This whole week has been a great example of how, for liberals and liberal aligned media, the lives of people outside the United States is worth exactly 0.

Had Biden received the support of David Duke, it would have been a bridge too far for even liberals, who would have demanded that he denounce that support.

But this week we had John Negroponte come out in favor of Biden. Negroponte, one of the lead engineers of Central American death squads.

Did Biden denounce that? No, but he did denounce Linda Sarsour, because she had the gall of criticizing the modern apartheid state of Israel.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

We are plagued with people viewing the political landscape of the most powerful and dangerous country in the world as a piece of daytime TV media for them to consume -- but -- in that light you could not find a better, more interesting, more tragicomic, more dramatic character than Hunter Biden and I :clap: am :clap: here :clap: for :clap: it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

We are plagued with people viewing the political landscape of the most powerful and dangerous country in the world as a piece of daytime TV media for them to consume -- but -- in that light you could not find a better, more interesting, more tragicomic, more dramatic character than Hunter Biden and I :clap: am :clap: here :clap: for :clap: it.

I would have no qualms voting for Hunter Biden. He is the exact kind of trumpian moral failure that would both fall rear end-first into winning, and cement the end of the Decorum & Speeches Era.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

is pepsi ok posted:

The entire convention was made for and by people who mainline MSNBC. Just a massive effort in preaching to the choir. They are not going to convert a single Republican and they've alienated who knows how many leftists.

He was sitting on a losing approval rating six months ago and a losing approval rating now. The problem with this view is a lot of idiots in important states are gettable with this strategy. Winning those states and losing a couple of million overall voters in secure states is a winning strategy, unfortunately.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 21, 2020

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Famethrowa posted:

Hunter is pretty slimy, but, I appreciate him for making me feel like less of a failson.

Amen to that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

rscott posted:

Hunter Biden banging his dead brother's wife wouldn't be so bad if you know, he wasn't married to someone else at the time

Hey in a healthy marriage you can each have a free pass.

Most people hang onto that for like Emma Watson or Zac Efron in case that opportunity arises somehow, but if dead bro's wife is your fantasy I'm not gonna shame anyone

E: and I don't want to hear "what the gently caress is wrong with you", if your wife wouldn't let you make sweet love to Zac Efron does she really care about your happiness

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 21, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

really it’s no one’s business but their own

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Rainbow Knight posted:

really it’s no one’s business but their own

The nepotism and failson welfare is our business, though.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

selec posted:

I’m sure if there was some actual connection between Hunter’s Burisma job and Joe Biden it could easily be uncovered by, say, a well-resourced former federal prosecutor.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
You realize it doesn’t have to be a crime for people to find it to be a pretty blatant sign of corruption, right? Like I shouldn’t have to cite federal law to say that.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's impossible that Hunter Biden received lucrative positions because of his personal connections. Sure, that's how every other wealthy and well-connected person gets their positions, but Hunter was scouted out purely for his talent and skill.

rko posted:

You realize it doesn’t have to be a crime for people to find it to be a pretty blatant sign of corruption, right? Like I shouldn’t have to cite federal law to say that.

Nope, sorry, it's not corruption unless you have notarized documents stating "I am hiring Hunter Biden for a job for reasons of moral impurity" and those documents are ideally accompanied by someone handing Hunter or Joe a big sack with a dollar sign on it. Without the photo your case is probably getting dismissed, or at least plead down to a misdemeanor.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

well we couldn't find a direct link between Trump and Russian counterintelligence, I guess there's nothing to see here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

selec posted:

Lol I just remembered that of all the massive crimes Trump openly committed, including admitting to and bragging about interfering with the upcoming election, he was impeached for...looking into the system of free money and jobs for political failchildren but in an illegal way.

Interfering with nepotism for lawmakers' lovely relatives is the one line that may not be crossed.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It's not like this was even the first time Biden did this poo poo with Hunter. He passed bills easing regulations on MBNA while his son was working there making six figures.

https://twitter.com/Ibrahimpols/status/1180531106191413255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

rko posted:

Yeah I've never got "well technically it wasn't illegal to do (because the people who wrote the laws wanted it that way)" is supposed to be a reason not to care about patently unethical behavior from elected officials.

There's stuff that's legal but shouldn't be and I don't want presidents who do that stuff either.

There's even tons of stuff that is and even ought to be 110% legal, yet should still be disqualifying for public office and especially the presidency. For example it's perfectly legal to be the biggest dumbass ever, that is not a crime, yet it's still a good reason not to vote for someone who is a colossal dumbass.