Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Cancelled my anytime membership this morning. Between Jesus Take The Wheel guy and the general way that most of the population who uses my location treat the place I'm done pretending like it isn't as much a risk as I wanted it to be. Managed to find a 36" power band and a pair of 45lb dumbbells at a local fitness shop so with those and the rest of the equipment I own it'll have to suffice for

Y'know

The next year

At least :smith:

You can mostly maintain your gains with a 45lb dumbbell/kettlebell, you can even get a kettlebell grip for the dumbbell so that you can do swings. I'm sure you could do doubles with it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Wizard Master posted:

Thoughts on simply using leg press rather than doing squats for leg hypertrophy due to history of knee/back issues??
Good enough for The Rock!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

My town hasn't had a positive test in a month which is getting me itching to hit the gym up. Of course the gym is a town over and they had 7 the past 2 weeks. And that's borderline meaningless given the asymptomatic rate. Also they're gonna open er up the schools soon and gently caress lifting around teenagers any time soon.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/QlhcHdG.mp4

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
New York finally gave some guidance for gyms to open up for the first time since March. 33% capacity, masks mandatory at all times & the facility must meet new HVAC standards. I think I'll take a hard pass on this one for a couple months and see how the data pans out.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Omnikin posted:

I think I'll take a hard pass on this one for a couple months and see how the data pans out.

Yeah I would be keen if the standards for hygiene were higher but like you, it's too early. I'm just lucky to have enough equipment (and thanks for the suggestions thread) to work out at home. I made it working out every day in my living room for the two months that the gym was closed, so i can make it through the next however much longer this is going until.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

What was the resale value on Rogue stuff like pre-covid?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I remember like 20 years ago, an administrator on some gaming website mentioned offhand that she prefers lean and muscular men. I don't remember the name of the website. The userbase of the website got extremely upset, acting like it was some kind of betrayal. One guy said "All those losers are probably on steroids and/or protein shakes." I think about this often for two reasons: 1) it's incredible that that same exact sense of entitlement later became a potent political force that altered history and 2) lmao at equating steroids with protein shakes.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I remember like 20 years ago, an administrator on some gaming website mentioned offhand that she prefers lean and muscular men. I don't remember the name of the website. The userbase of the website got extremely upset, acting like it was some kind of betrayal. One guy said "All those losers are probably on steroids and/or protein shakes." I think about this often for two reasons: 1) it's incredible that that same exact sense of entitlement later became a potent political force that altered history and 2) lmao at equating steroids with protein shakes.

There was an r/relationships story in the previous megathread about a mom writing to Reddit because her son had gotten into fitness and she'd call his protein shakes "steroids" and say that working out was dangerous because it actually tore your muscles (I think she had read about the microtears that occur) and she had some dilemma she needed Reddit's help with (might have been an AITA post).

It was hilarious because she would not listen to reason and kept saying she had done the research and that everyone replying was obviously hooked on steroids and poo poo.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

He explained this on a podcast once. He was traveling and looking for a gym to train in. Called up some gym to explain what was going on and he needed a good gym to train in and the gym owner was like "hell yea, we have great equipment, it'll handle whatever you can squat no problem" Then this happened and the gym owner got pissed and wanted Joe to pay for the bar, lol.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I was expecting the bar to snap.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
when I smoke steroids, I get the protein shakes.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Am I a dick for going to the gym again? I go over there at midnight and only go in if I'm the only one there - which is often, it's a small one. Wipe down everything, sanitize or wash hands during. If someone comes in, I've got my mask, and just finish what I can't do at home and then leave. It's still pretty just much that, and a weekly trip to the grocery store being the only places I go. I saw my doctor for a physical, and he seemed fine with it, but he's kind of dopey.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

when I smoke steroids, I get the protein shakes.

Better than the Harlem Shake, I guess.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

He explained this on a podcast once. He was traveling and looking for a gym to train in. Called up some gym to explain what was going on and he needed a good gym to train in and the gym owner was like "hell yea, we have great equipment, it'll handle whatever you can squat no problem" Then this happened and the gym owner got pissed and wanted Joe to pay for the bar, lol.

Iirc it hosed his knee up for a while too

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Captain Lavender posted:

Am I a dick for going to the gym again? I go over there at midnight and only go in if I'm the only one there - which is often, it's a small one. Wipe down everything, sanitize or wash hands during. If someone comes in, I've got my mask, and just finish what I can't do at home and then leave. It's still pretty just much that, and a weekly trip to the grocery store being the only places I go. I saw my doctor for a physical, and he seemed fine with it, but he's kind of dopey.

Until the decision is taken out of our hands with another lockdown, you just have to decide you've made the right call for your safety and the safety of those in your immediate contact. Covid restrictions were lifted in my part of Canada late May and I returned. More and more people began to as well, and finally yesterday I decided that it wasn't safe for me, whether or not restrictions were lifted because it was probably safe to do so. Also I really dislike the way a lot of people treated the place. Also my mom, whom I regularly see, is immunocompromised and I would hate to endanger her. Also, y'know, the rest of my friends and family. If you're being as safe as you think you can be, that there's relatively little traffic when you're there, and that you're wiping your equipment down, well, sounds like you're doing your best. The uncertainty was too much for me, ymmv.

My goal is that when the worst of this passes, all willing hopefully in a year's time, I'll be able to afford the "serious lifter's" gym in town and a trainer to make up for a year of in-home workouts.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Captain Lavender posted:

Am I a dick for going to the gym again?
Some people will say yes, absolutely. You're doing something you don't need to be doing in the middle of a pandemic and, while it sounds like your risk is incredibly small, there's a non-zero chance you'll be responsible for helping spread the plague. On the other hand, society seems for the most part to view what you're doing as acceptable so you can't really be judged a dick for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

No more of a dick than if you go to Chili's

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
a crossfit gym in my city had 10 people who tested positive for the covid recently. 300 more were put in quarantine as a result

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Bob Morales posted:

but like... you also shouldn't be going to a restaurant either. I can't even fathom the mindset that lets someone think that's normal in a loving pandemic

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Ugh, I agree with both of these. This sucks. I had a pretty good system going with a kettlebell and my stationary bike when Covid started, but the bike broke, and getting back to weights was really something to look forward to. I live in a plains state, and avoiding people is pretty easy - walking and public transit is basically zero - so I've been feeling pretty confident about it. But yeah, I'm creating risk where I don't need to. I've been going to the gym and eating right for longer than ever in the past, it feels lovely to stop like this. I'll have to think hard about what to do going forward.

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, I don't go out to eat, and kind of judge friends that do.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

I've been going to the gym and eating right for longer than ever in the past, it feels lovely to stop like this. I'll have to think hard about what to do going forward.

Same, buddy. I am privileged to own enough equipment to maintain most of my strength (and, probably, exceed in terms of form and maintenance) and like you, I've been at it for long time. It's a different landscape now, and even posting in this thread keeps me accountable to my goals. Sucks to be socially responsible and also devoted to something best achieved outside my home, but you can't lift if you're sick. Or dead, of course.

You can still eat right, and I imagine you can find something to keep yourself active without the gym. Best of luck.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.

LordArgh posted:

a crossfit gym in my city had 10 people who tested positive for the covid recently. 300 more were put in quarantine as a result

Oslo?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Same, buddy. I am privileged to own enough equipment to maintain most of my strength (and, probably, exceed in terms of form and maintenance) and like you, I've been at it for long time. It's a different landscape now, and even posting in this thread keeps me accountable to my goals. Sucks to be socially responsible and also devoted to something best achieved outside my home, but you can't lift if you're sick. Or dead, of course.

You can still eat right, and I imagine you can find something to keep yourself active without the gym. Best of luck.
I've been focusing on cardio and losing weight. Two things I don't normally focus on, but they are two things that are easy enough to focus on with no gym access.

I'm real annoyed I won't hit my bench & squat goals for the year, but that's okay. There's next year or the year after I guess.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 21, 2020

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Just think of all the newbie gains when it is safe to go back

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

yep

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Tested my maxes for the Goon Meet in YLLS
Quite happy with the results for dieting for the most part since March.

Helios Grime posted:

So I did my Powerlifting attempt for the Goon Meet. I weighed in at around 90.8kg.

Squat was by far my best lift compared to my previous numbers. My goal was 180kg but I blew past that and had that as my opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX9uNWg9FUc
I hosed up the video and it has no sound but that doesn't really matter anyway.

Benchpress was Ok I guess, failed my 3rd attempt but still managed to set a new PR with a comp setup and no sleeves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k_etT5SRjA

Deadlift was eeehhh. I mean I PRd for sumo but the weights felt heavy and I really don't like my form. Also failed my 3rd attempt because I stuck to my thighs with my arms, that friction was just too much to overcome. Also I noticed that I'm bending my arms like a hitch attempt which I never had in conventional. I'll keep sumo maybe as a light accessory lift but I'll go back to the true deadlift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kR3mAvH69s

So in the end i managed to lift:
Squat - 190kg/419lbs
Bench - 143kg/315lbs
Deadlift - 210kg/463lbs

Next week I'll do my clown lifts for general amusement.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
What's a good workout with dumbbells that can be adjusted to 45 lb thats sorta like PPL

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I'll crosspost mine too, because why not:

VorpalFish posted:

gently caress it, I'm doing this now.

Peaking has been poo poo because of injuries but I finally feel healthy and good again so I want to hurry up and get back to productive training that might make me less weak. I'll edit videos in as I go.

Morning weight ~170 lbs / ~78 kg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLadpCl2M8E

Didn't record squat attempt 1 because who cares. Squat attempt 2@385 lbs / 175 kg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOZeRtkoM

As a bonus for those who want to see me be an abject failure as both a lifter and a human being, watch me dump attempt #3 on the safeties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKGH27zMwY

Edit 1 - Bench:
Edit 2 - updated bench weights on account of me using one of the metric barbells

Bench attempt #2 @ 259 lb / ~117 kg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXVD87XywQ

And failed attempt #3 with a lovely roll of shame @ 274 lb / 124 kg, a weight that will elude me until the end of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAZeoexdIY

Also edit 2 - Deadlift:

Deadlift attempt #2 @ 474 lbs / ~215 kg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ihXOysOhg

504 didn't break the knees on attempt 3 so I didn't bother. I guess that's an 1118 lb / 508 kg total with is technically better than my meet last February? Not a great result but about what I expected. That's a wilks score of 354 according to wilkscalculator.com which I dunno sounds legit I guess? I don't think a domain name would lie to me.

For those keeping track, I failed every goal!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Good job and you are a braver man then me trying to max bench without safeties and/or a spotter.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Well done you guys. Seeing those makes me wish my lower back wasn't made of twigs and broken glass.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Awesome guys

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

Since we're crossposting goon meet results:

RamboMoe posted:

Morning weight: 105.3 kg

Squat: 280 – 290 (vid) –
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHeeK-Dwf9k

Bench: 160 – 170 – 175 (vid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofkIOivyvo

Deadlifts: 270 (vid) –
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DllgeHlPxMA

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

VorpalFish posted:

I'll crosspost mine too, because why not:
nice triceps

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

RamboMoe posted:

Since we're crossposting goon meet results:

Man, those pound plates look really big. But good work anyhow. :cheersbird:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1297851204626780161

I knew about the demand surge, but I didn't realize how badly the supply had been constrained.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Man, those pound plates look really big. But good work anyhow. :cheersbird:

Not just the plates. The bar is also really big for 20 lbs

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Someone on fb is selling 350 lb of plates, a bar, and an acceptable looking rack for $500 but my government has decided there will be no more money. :negative:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Thanks. Bench still never go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I think it was Dan Green who said when he first started out everyone told him you need to work on your triceps to increase your bench, so he got huge triceps but he eventually realized no, what you really need to do is bench more