Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'd be interested in that discussion personally but I think the forums culture frowns on "posting about posters"

In that case, allow me to recommend a trip to Holland International Market for all your Dutch product needs. I got a birthday calendar there like the ones Dutchies hang in their bathrooms.

Be careful you don't buy and eat too much black licorice, though, or you'll turn your "drolletjes" black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

In that case, allow me to recommend a trip to Holland International Market for all your Dutch product needs. I got a birthday calendar there like the ones Dutchies hang in their bathrooms.

Be careful you don't buy and eat too much black licorice, though, or you'll turn your "drolletjes" black.

Thank you. My husband was running direly low on stroopwafels.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I used the little information Huego provided to do some research. Their union did nothing but kept taking dues, and their local DSA supported AB5

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Anyone for a game of chess?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Thank you. My husband was running direly low on stroopwafels.

:tipshat: I think theirs were fresher than the ones at World Market, too, but it's been a long while since I was there.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Highbrow Slick posted:

Anyone for a game of chess?

No, chess is exploitive

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Huego posted:

Foxfire, the guy I had to tell ten times that I know how my job works better than he does, is not one of the people asking questions in good faith dude.

What I keep saying, and y'all keep not hearing, is that whatever you're first-principles-thought-experiment-reverse-engineering as "reasonable" is irrelevant because the reality is a ton of Californians had good-paying, non-exploitative writing gigs up and vanish on them.

"Well it shouldn't work like that."

Yeah. I know. That's why I want to change the law.

Ok but what is the actual mechanism through which you are losing these jobs? Seems pretty important if your goal is to change the law after all.What is the friction point on the businesses? Is it the common law or ABC test? If so, what is the reason that this has not applied to the other states that have similar laws?

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Still Dismal posted:

Ok but what is the actual mechanism through which you are losing these jobs? Seems pretty important if your goal is to change the law after all.What is the friction point on the businesses? Is it the common law or ABC test? If so, what is the reason that this has not applied to the other states that have similar laws?

Oh my god. Quit "just asking questions" at me if you aren't even bothering to read my posts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

:tipshat: I think theirs were fresher than the ones at World Market, too, but it's been a long while since I was there.

In exchange, I will share with you this candy shop I visited when I was in San Francisco for a few weeks:

http://littlejohnscandies.com/

Their fudge is divine. They ship all over California, too. And the country, at that, if you're a Cali expat.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you to this thread for making me emotionally ready for the fire hurricane.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Huego posted:

Oh my god. Quit "just asking questions" at me if you aren't even bothering to read my posts.

i have read your posts. I am asking you to put what you have said in context with the facts that another poster presented, because that makes the situation seem more complex.

I'm really not attacking you dude. I'm sympathetic to the argument you're making and think it's probably a legit issue. A handful of people ITT have been dicks to you, it's true, but now you're blowing up at people actually trying to engage with you. Again, not everyone is droll.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Haha, Baja is eating our smoke

:smith:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Let's see, we already had a fire tornado. We're queuing up a fire hurricane. Can we get a fire El Nińo? How big of a weather system can we fit fire into?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In exchange, I will share with you this candy shop I visited when I was in San Francisco for a few weeks:

http://littlejohnscandies.com/

Their fudge is divine. They ship all over California, too. And the country, at that, if you're a Cali expat.

Oh man, I want everything.

PYF Specialty Californian Market: https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Ethnic-Grocery-Store/San-Luis-Oriental-Market-593933903953539/

You know it's a good market when it doesn't even have a website.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Is the hurricane going to draw smoke away from or towards us? Because hey, if it's gonna alleviate the smoke, that's our mitigation strategy right there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jaxyon posted:

Like literally somebody is a freelance writer and saying "my income is hosed" and the responses aren't "that sucks how can we make it better" they're "well your company is exploitive" which is true but doesn't really give that guy an income

i am disappointed

Leperflesh posted:

Like, it's almost impossible to read the details of this law and not realize how compromised it is.
https://www.businessinsider.com/california-labor-jobs-law-bad-confusing-freelance-workers-2019-11

now i am angry

yep, it's another day in this thread

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Let's see, we already had a fire tornado. We're queuing up a fire hurricane. Can we get a fire El Nińo? How big of a weather system can we fit fire into?

they said the jet stream is dying

i said NO!

now it's the fire stream :smugdon:

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
The news of Big Basin being gone just about broke me. :smith:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

most of the redwoods are still there and alive at least, though a bit crispy

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

When I used to live in the Netherlands I found an American candy store and drank like a six pack of Mello Yello on the spot. Good times

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Did I die and I am living in hell? I went outside and my throat feels like I opened a cremation oven while its blasting ash, and I had a mask on. loving hell

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Celexi posted:

Did I die and I am living in hell? I went outside and my throat feels like I opened a cremation oven while its blasting ash, and I had a mask on. loving hell

Maybe, I'm pretty sure somebody in San Jose used some sort of weather magic around 5:30pm today.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ardeem posted:

Maybe, I'm pretty sure somebody in San Jose used some sort of weather magic around 5:30pm today.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ardeem posted:

i wish they would use some of that magic on oakland :argh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Good news! We have one! You even get paid (poorly)! https://ccc.ca.gov/

Yes, "HARD WORK, LOW PAY, MISERABLE CONDITIONS, AND MORE!" is the official website slogan.

There's even an old GiP thread about it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813346
My brother did this. He enjoyed it a lot but it’s only a one year full time thing. If he could do it intermittently and indefinitely I bet he would have.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Buffer posted:

you also have a 2020 reg date and uber/lyft astroturf - why the gently caress should we believe a word you say about anything?

One of the D&D rules is to assume a good-faith argument in people. You (and some others) are avoiding the argument and attacking the person.

You don't have to go too far to see how AB5 has damaged writing. If you're a sports fan, the SB Nation blogs have largely handed writing about the California teams to fans out of state, as many of the people who post on those blogs are themselves forums/comment section types who were encouraged to write long-form, not completely unlike The Something Awful frontpage. Nobody's saying AB5 wasn't written on good moral footing, but either due to the writer or due to the courts they extend beyond TNCs into a whole bunch of industries that have closed opportunity for some people. And it doesn't seem to matter because they wrote the bill for this kind of person, the person who is so hungry to see ride-share get some legal pushback that they minimize the impact the bill has on work they barely understand.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

El Mero Mero posted:

AB5 is terrible and AB5 is right.

It is terrible because it is destroying industries. It is telling freelancers within those industries that there is a higher bar to being a freelancer, regardless of what and how their industry operates. Some industries will leave the entire state rather than choose to change how they do business. This is especially true of employers that are national/global/remote/out of state.

This is poo poo for those who work in those industries. In some cases it will raise the cost of doing business in the state considerably and it might just not make sense anymore to have that work here.

AB5 is right though. It is designed to be annoying for 1099 businesses. This is because the intent of the law is to eliminate independent contractor agreements or reduce them.

California loses almost 7 billion dollars a year in payroll taxes from misclassifications and the entire structure stymies worker organizing. The screen writers guild did not oppose the bill. You know why? They are writers who have organized and see collective benefits as a result of having done so.

AB5 is also right because it forces people to choose a lane, meaning it clarifies responsibilities and rights. You either are an employee (department of labor rules and rights apply) or you are a business (department of business oversight applies - if you're a regulated industry). By doing this it also makes bigger businesses become more accountable because they can't as easily shunt off all of the liability for their decisions onto small independent contractors.

It does nothing for those small independent contractors themselves, which is probably the biggest failure of ab5. I think there should have been an option for facilitating 1099 unions or employee guilds something.

This was a good post.

Holy poo poo were some of the other posts bad.

gently caress!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bizarro Watt posted:

Petition to rename it "Smol Basin".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CPColin posted:

It'll be even longer; they went bankrupt last year. :(

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Craptacular! posted:

One of the D&D rules is to assume a good-faith argument in people. You (and some others) are avoiding the argument and attacking the person.

You don't have to go too far to see how AB5 has damaged writing. If you're a sports fan, the SB Nation blogs have largely handed writing about the California teams to fans out of state, as many of the people who post on those blogs are themselves forums/comment section types who were encouraged to write long-form, not completely unlike The Something Awful frontpage. Nobody's saying AB5 wasn't written on good moral footing, but either due to the writer or due to the courts they extend beyond TNCs into a whole bunch of industries that have closed opportunity for some people. And it doesn't seem to matter because they wrote the bill for this kind of person, the person who is so hungry to see ride-share get some legal pushback that they minimize the impact the bill has on work they barely understand.

I don't actually think that there's a marketing company paying freelance writers to give an abuser :10bux: so they can wax poetic on a dead gay comedy forum's CA politics thread ahead of prop 22 - and was kinda shocked I got no "personally I prefer soros bucks" reply or jokey probe - but like is there an argument to engage with? only I know how my poo poo works is a thing you can passively consume but not something you can engage with - it's just an appeal to personal authority.

I know AB5 is not some force of pure good in the universe - it came out of the CA legislature. AB5 is both flawed and has hurt people - and it will almost certainly under deliver on buffering the transition for individuals and that's not great and it could be better. For example there are all these small internecine gig-like productions in LA that are so lean the compliance overhead is enough to make them not work, so the money stops flowing and now entire communities are unemployed. We should try to do what we can to ensure those people are taken care of, but, like laws are messy and this kind of thing had to be broad and was going to have misses like this because the misclassification problem and the gig economy problems are both bigger than rideshare.

I didn't start off wanting to be mean. I was wandering what could be done to ameliorate the situation(particularly in the immediate). Maybe we were talking past each other, as I(and a lot of others) were never talking about the freelancer here but the business that employs them(as they're the ones excluding california), and trying to understand what part of the regulatory burden was a problem - this is basically asking for the contract writer equivalent of the argument the truckers made about the B part of the ABC test. If the problem is that this industry is just going to take a flat out stand against any California regulation at all(which is my suspicion RE: SB Nation) - to the point of refusing even to interact with an intermediary business in CA in a pure B2B transaction to license content - then welp - what are we supposed to do here? not pass any laws ever?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Every legal shift is going to have these types of disagreements. This discussion followed the same path as:
* building more housing (I'm for more housing, but it shouldn't effect me, the system is working for me)
* building more public transit (I'm for more transit, but it shouldn't effect me, the system is working for me)
* healthcare (I'm for more healthcare, but it shouldn't effect me, the system is working for me)
and so on. There isn't anyway around it. Waiting for the perfect solution means no changes at all. It does really suck, but that is progress.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Here's a proposed bill amending it in current session:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB1850

There may be other bills; at least five showed up when I searched bills for this term using the keyword freelance (AB-5 counts as this term, since it's 2019-2020)

Looks like Gonzalez, the author of AB-5, put forward that bill for freelance photographers, writers, and other jobs. Seems the most recent amendment may have broadened it, or they changed the header to reflect that it's touching a lot more jobs. Anyhow, I gotta go to town. Now there's something to debate and discuss. Will it help Huego? :shrug:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It's currently 90 degrees in my home office with 60% humidity and I have no AC. I start teaching students virtually from this room starting Monday. :hellyeah:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Alright... I'm just quickscanning this. AB-1850 would replace this

quote:

(B)“Professional services” means services that meet any of the following:
(x)Services provided by a freelance writer, editor, or newspaper cartoonist who does not provide content submissions to the putative employer more than 35 times per year. Items of content produced on a recurring basis related to a general topic shall be considered separate submissions for purposes of calculating the 35 times per year. For purposes of this clause, a “submission” is one or more items or forms of content by a freelance journalist that: (I) pertains to a specific event or topic; (II) is provided for in a contract that defines the scope of the work; (III) is accepted by the publication or company and published or posted for sale.
with

quote:

(B) “Professional services” means services that meet any of the following:
(xii) By a freelance writer, certified translator, editor, copyeditor, illustrator, or newspaper cartoonist who works under a contract that specifies in advance the rate of pay, intellectual property rights, and obligation to pay by a defined time, as long as the individual providing the services is not replacing an employee performing the same work at the same volume, the individual does not primarily perform the work at the hiring entity’s business location, and the individual is not restricted from working for more than one hiring entity.
There's other stuff to this bill but that's the topic that had pages of... takes.

The most recent amendment is an assembly floor amendment made on 5/12/20 in the Assembly Labor and Employment Committee. It passed both that committee and the Appropriations committee unanimously, and then passed the Assembly Floor with a 76-0-3 vote. It's now sitting in the Senate, waiting to be taken up by the Senate Labor, Public Employmment and Retirement committee since 7/1/20.

Will it pass Senate? Probably? Will this solve Huego's problems? :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sincx posted:

Why can't freelancers form a LLC? It's like $100/year, and also provides significant tax and liability benefits. Then freelancers selling their articles/photos/etc to a publication will unquestionably be a B2B transaction, unaffected by AB5.

That's a good question. If you're actually self-employed, it seems like a logical step.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's a good question. If you're actually self-employed, it seems like a logical step.

It is, by every measure, the correct thing to do if you actually are serious about running your business. Not least because it limits how much risk and liability you expose to your personal assets from running your business and it also opens up a world of institutional support. As a 1099 business you don't generate business credit history and most banks won't lend to 1099 businesses (outside of a low-limit credit card), for instance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sincx posted:

Why can't freelancers form a LLC? It's like $100/year, and also provides significant tax and liability benefits. Then freelancers selling their articles/photos/etc to a publication will unquestionably be a B2B transaction, unaffected by AB5.

Its ~$100 to file and a minimum $800/yr tax, it's pretty steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

FCKGW posted:

Its ~$100 to file and a minimum $800/yr tax, it's pretty steep.
This is correct. Keep in mind that California has the highest annual LLC fee in the nation (at least if the table on this site is to be believed; someone say otherwise if it's incorrect); the next highest is Massachusetts at $500/year and the average annual fee between the 50 states is $89/year. Is there a reason the fee needs to be that high? Is there a reason it's flat and not scaling? I mean having limited liability is a nice thing, and it would be better if more freelancers had it, but if you're just pulling in enough to be making a bump more than minimum wage to cover your medicare/ss contributions then $800/yr sucks, or $800/yr sucks if you're doing it as a side gig to whatever your "main job" is because you eventually want to become a full time freelancer but you aren't ready to make that leap yet.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 23, 2020