Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I think that if you find yourself modding/cheating out the design goals of the game, it just means you got a bad game. Or if not a bad game, at least the wrong game for the experience you wanted.

There's nothing wrong with fixing a bad game, if that's what you want to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't care if people cheat in single player games. It's a rotten thing to do in multiplayer though, especially when the game involves direct competition.

Mods are an entirely different thing and they're so wide and varied I can't really pinpoint my opinion on them except to say that when I mod games I try to keep it to mostly quality of life stuff because I don't really expect a typical mod maker to balance things well, especially with those giant kitchen sink mods that try to do way too much.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't know the general popularity of this opinion but: imo people who recommend that others get a game and then further suggest they immediately mod/cheat the entire spirit of that game away are terrible gamers.

I've seen a lot of posts on these forums that amount "get this game, however mod/cheat away basically 100% of what the game is about" and every time it just makes it sound like that person is a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Counterpoint: this sounds like some weird nerd poo poo to say

"Dare I ride the dinosaur? No I will never betray my GAMER code of honor"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Counterpoint: this sounds like some weird nerd poo poo to say

"Dare I ride the dinosaur? No I will never betray my GAMER code of honor"

I think you're confused about something because riding dinosaurs is a core feature of ARK regardless. It is inherent to ARK whether you're involving mods/cheats or not.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a proud Terrible Gamer personally

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Chomp8645 posted:

I think you're confused about something because riding dinosaurs is a core feature of ARK regardless. It is inherent to ARK whether you're involving mods/cheats or not.

Man when I get off work I'm going to download ark and mod/cheat the hell of it and I don't even like dinosaurs

Also I think I am supposed to do some work this evening but I am so committed to being a terrible gamer at this point I dont give a flip

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

If you added a funcitonal UI, fan patches, and a brighter pip-boy light to New Vegas you aren't a true gamer :smuggo:

Have you considered playing a game that already has a good UI and brighter pip boy?????? Free advice from me, a great gamer

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That wasn't a good game, but I enjoyed it anyways. It was a drat shame they went from a single player campaign to a generic multiplayer shooter though. I really enjoyed their aesthetic and ability to mimic the feel of ww2 propaganda, but shifting from singleplayer gave that stuff a lot less impact.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't know the general popularity of this opinion but: imo people who recommend that others get a game and then further suggest they immediately mod/cheat the entire spirit of that game away are terrible gamers.

i modded and cheated the hell out of borderlands 2. but this was because they put worse drop rates than an mmo, into a pve co-op game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PinheadSlim posted:

If you added a funcitonal UI, fan patches, and a brighter pip-boy light to New Vegas you aren't a true gamer :smuggo:

Have you considered playing a game that already has a good UI and brighter pip boy?????? Free advice from me, a great gamer

Listen I think ya'll really reading too much into my using the word "gamer" during the post. I could have just ended it with the word "terrible" and it would be same message. You're getting really hung up on it so I think you're interpreting something that wasn't intended.

I really just that imo, modding or cheating away the entire spirit of a game seems bad. That's really it lol. I modded New Vegas. Modding New Vegas is good. I don't know how you read my post as "mods are bad" but that's really wasn't the point.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

As everyone knows the best way to enjoy The Sims is to respect the spirit of the game and never ever give yourself a million dollars just to gently caress around with, that would be cheating.

You're not being mocked for saying gamer by the way, people are doing it because it's probably up there in the top 10 or 20 winning posts of this thread. Congratulations, you are the proud owner of a true unpopular opinion.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sorry I seemed so glib about this situation it's just I miss the more innocent days before I iddqd'd and was cast out of my Good Gamer dojo forever

It still hurts and there is no cheat code for grief

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

man we probably should have talked about Hunie Pop, now it's all tense in here :ohdear:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
who is your favorite hunie pop waifu

mine is either the bratty stoner or the cat girl

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yakuza 0 is a bad game, and probably the rest of the series is too

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

who is your favorite hunie pop waifu

mine is either the bratty stoner or the cat girl

Ahaha you can't really expect me to have an answer to that.
Undertale and other crap games? Sure I may have played those.
Don't assume for even a second I'd play a titty game like Hunie Pop though.
Really, I'm offended you even asked.
Everyone! Point and laugh at The White Dragon!
Yell at him and make him feel bad!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's hard to believe but Invisible Inc is actually the best XCOM

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It’s funny how this thread always circles around to the same handful of games:

Doom 2016
BotW
RDR2
Bioshock
And... a few others

Spec ops the line

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The best 3D Zelda game is The Witcher 3

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The best Harvest Moon is the DS one. Everyone says Friends of Mineral Town but that's some nonesense, Harvest Moon DS is just like Mineral Town but bigger and better.

Anyone who says Stardew Valley is the best Harvest Moon game is making a posting enemy for life!!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The best Harvest Moon is Rimworld

In fact Rimworld is the only true Harvest Moon, as it allows you to harvest people and you could hypothetically be doing that harvesting while on a moon

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The best Mario game is Dark Souls 2

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

yeah its a really good game. the expert plus mode is a real challenge

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best harvest moon game was that dumb hl2 map I played with friends at lan parties where we had to occasionally defend the crops from ant lions and could kill each other by pushing someone into the tank fo the sprinkler system and then starting it up with them inside.

E: Oh and you could buy the raven hold sign and Mr. Bucket, which would absolutely play the dumb song from the ad, those were a vital part of the experience.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 21, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The best song from any game is the moon one from Ducktales. Don't @ me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPy_AHIIkZY

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Nobody has done anything cool with dinosaurs in a long time and it's frankly pretty upsetting. We got zombies as far as the eye can see but not one fuckin raptor or t-rex

Shoot the dinosaurs? You're an rear end in a top hat
Ally with the dinosaurs? You're an idiot
Be a dinosaur? No matter what you do extinction looms, buddy

There's the alien vs predator games I guess. Alien is a kind of yucky dinosaur.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I like the idea of shooting a shitload of rampaging dinosaurs but yeah it's hard not to feel like an rear end in a top hat because it's just mass murdering animals when you think about it.

Clearly they will have to be like, summoned by an evil sorcerer so they're not real or maybe a guy finds dino eggs then genetically engineers new versions designed just to kill with no sense of pain and unending anger so they're better at killing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Breath of the Wild fucks me up because I'm used to Zelda games just saying "No, you can't go here yet. Why are you even trying, you idiot?" Then in BotW I can go almost anywhere unimpeded, which means I'm constantly second-guessing if I'm doing the right thing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Plan Z posted:

Breath of the Wild fucks me up because I'm used to Zelda games just saying "No, you can't go here yet. Why are you even trying, you idiot?" Then in BotW I can go almost anywhere unimpeded, which means I'm constantly second-guessing if I'm doing the right thing.

It gives some good hints in the form of Lynels and hordes of robot sentinels.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Plan Z posted:

There's only one right thing:
Destroy Ganon

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

War Wizard posted:

There's only one right thing:
Recital at Warbler's Nest

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

i have Invisible Inc on my list, but i refuse to buy a Switch game until it goes on sale

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its on steam

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

is pepsi ok posted:

Do the Shantae games count as anime titty games?

Shantae and the Artist's Fetish

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

is pepsi ok posted:

Do the Shantae games count as anime titty games?

it can't be true anime titty unless it's forged in glorious nippon
shantae is developed by a bunch of californians, at best it's just "cartoon titty"

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Late era Ridge Racer (6/7/Vita) boost mechanics were extremely cool and good both in providing an extra layer of strategy and luring you into an ever scarier risk/reward feedback loop, especially once you started unlocking parts that changed how the meter was filled like the 'it'll only charge when you're on boost' one where you'd constantly be going through the scariest corner on the track at 200mph, sideways. I hate how the only way they'll ever make another one is if someone else basically commissions them to like Sony with the Vita game (which also ran like poo poo, as opposed to RR7 holding a solid 1080P60 on the drat PS3).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i didn’t think I had much nostalgia for FF7 but ff7r is blowing me away so far anyway, it is seriously awesome and very pretty

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm glad I was too young for most NES games. I would hate to have any nostalgia for that era cuz those games are universally crap. True gaming didnt start until the 16bit era

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

i didn’t think I had much nostalgia for FF7 but ff7r is blowing me away so far anyway, it is seriously awesome and very pretty

It's amazing op. What's even more amazing is that it's actually fun to play, a feat not accomplished by square enix in over a decade or more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fridge corn posted:

It's amazing op. What's even more amazing is that it's actually fun to play, a feat not accomplished by square enix in over a decade or more

I can’t remember the last time I had as much fun in an RPG as the first boss fight against the scorpion robot thing