Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also why Porygon2 and not PorygonZ?

Pory2 has the stats of a fully evolved mon, but isn't. Eviolite makes the little duck borderline immortal, plus it has a phenomenal movepool, great abilities, and enough Sp.Atk to actually be a proper combatant as well. It's one of the best Trick Room setters you could ever hope for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I love all the little cyber drinking birds

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Replaying Heart Gold and looks like I'm going to have Heracross on my team again. At least I managed to avoid Magneton and Crobat this time

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Optimist Prime posted:

I'm going to evolve Togetic, I just need to know which moves to keep before its level-up moves get whittled down to four via stone evolution. And thanks for the Smogon link - I've mainly been consulting Bulbapedia and Serebii, but the in-depth strategies on Smogon are exactly what I've been looking for.

If you’re in SwSh you don’t need to worry about your movepool becoming shorter due to evolving, they took that out and the move relearner is free.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

RatHat posted:

If you’re in SwSh you don’t need to worry about your movepool becoming shorter due to evolving, they took that out and the move relearner is free.
They aren't; they mentioned the PWT, which is in Gen 5.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Right. I was a lapsed fan who eased back into the series with the VC versions of Red and Silver, then LGE and HeartGold. Black and its sequel are the first original games I've played from Gen 3 and later, largely based on the frequent praise in this thread, and I've really been enjoying them despite the glacial pace of QOL improvements. My goal is to tackle either Omega Ruby or SuMo next and save SwSh until the DLC updates are complete.

Anyway, my main takeaway from poring over Smogon doubles strategies is that the eternal struggle between Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin is the defining ideological conflict of our time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:stare: I just had Digging Pa excavate 725,000 watts in a single round. :stare:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lorak posted:

They aren't; they mentioned the PWT, which is in Gen 5.

If he has access to the move reminder and move tutors (which is pretty much a given since he's talking about doing PWT seriously) he can get pretty much any move Togekiss would actually need through them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

AlternateNu posted:

Get that dad a beer

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Digging pa is weirdly amazing in comparison to his wife.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there anyone with hacked djttos that can send one over? Friends and I are doing a league thing and I don't have time to breed for hours a day

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did they ever do an event with Zarude? Did I totally miss out on that? I’ll laugh if I did.

They were supposed to give away that other legendary electric Pokémon if a million people defeated it in a raid but I guess that never happened, huh.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did they ever do an event with Zarude? Did I totally miss out on that? I’ll laugh if I did.

They were supposed to give away that other legendary electric Pokémon if a million people defeated it in a raid but I guess that never happened, huh.

they haven't done one with Zarude but they did give away Zeraora

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DC Murderverse posted:

they haven't done one with Zarude but they did give away Zeraora

I participated in that event but I didn’t get one... I don’t think?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Codes are being given out with tickets for the latest Pokemon movie in Japan, so it's legitimately obtainable, but not in a reasonable way for the rest of the world.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I participated in that event but I didn’t get one... I don’t think?

The actual shiny Zeraora distribution was through Pokemon Home rather than in-game, so if you have it, check whether Zeraora's in your gifts. Even if you won't be subscribing, it's probably worth downloading Home for any future Pokemon they give out the same way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wait does this Alolan Diglett I got for finding all 151 digletts is Jolly, has a hidden ability and I’m guessing 31 attack IV? That kinda owns??? Definitely worth the tedium.

Edit: how do you receive gifts in Pokémon Home?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait does this Alolan Diglett I got for finding all 151 digletts is Jolly, has a hidden ability and I’m guessing 31 attack IV? That kinda owns??? Definitely worth the tedium.

Click the button at the bottom that you access the options and whatnot with. There's a Mystery Gift button there, and from there it works like the mystery gifts do in Sw/Sh. I think the Zeraora was under the Gift Box option.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Codes are being given out with tickets for the latest Pokemon movie in Japan, so it's legitimately obtainable, but not in a reasonable way for the rest of the world.

This is true. But if if you get a JP code, it still works for any region.

But most codes I see being traded online are asking for money in return. So it just brings it back to waiting it out for half a year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Soysaucebeast posted:

Click the button at the bottom that you access the options and whatnot with. There's a Mystery Gift button there, and from there it works like the mystery gifts do in Sw/Sh. I think the Zeraora was under the Gift Box option.

I don’t have a mystery gift option... I guess I missed out on Zeraora.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t have a mystery gift option... I guess I missed out on Zeraora.

Mystery Gift is an option only in the phone version of Home.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Prythian posted:

oh, that's why i couldn't figure out how to get one, i only booted up the Switch app

that whole thing is such a mess lmao

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Prythian posted:

Wtf why would they only let you claim the gifts through the mobile app :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

oh, that's why i couldn't figure out how to get one, i only booted up the Switch app

that whole thing is such a mess lmao

I missed the shiny Zeraora event completely. So, I don't even have the option. :negative:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wtf why would they only let you claim the gifts through the mobile app :psyduck:

In order to make people use the mobile app.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

In order to make people use the mobile app.

The whole system is a mess.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
They made it so that you can only trade with people and get mystery gift on the mobile app, and you can only transfer between games on the Switch app. That second part makes sense to me, given that the games are on the Switch, so it really is just so there's literally any reason to use the mobile app at all if you don't have Go.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Violet_Sky posted:

The whole system is a mess.

:gamefreak:

Prythian posted:

there's literally any reason to use the mobile app at all if you don't have Go.

It's important to mention that half a year later since its release, the app still does not support any kind of interaction with Go and they aren't even announcing a date for that to change any time soon.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Saoshyant posted:

It's important to mention that half a year later since its release, the app still does not support any kind of interaction with Go and they aren't even announcing a date for that to change any time soon.

Jesus Christ, okay, I didn't even look to see that you can't transfer things from Go directly into the Mobile App. It literally just exists for trading and mystery gift then! What the gently caress, Gamefreak.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Saoshyant posted:

They’re completely incompetent but their games sell tens of millions of copies so who cares, amirite? :psyduck:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gen1 was held together with duct tape.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There's nothing more agonizing than finding a Pokémon you want on GTS and the trade being reasonable. But you don't have the Pokémon in Pokémon Home so you gotta close the app, turn on the switch, open Pokémon home, transfer the Pokémon, save, close the app and then open the Pokémon Home app on your phone.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific about that. I tend to forget that Home is different in the Switch vs a phone, since I almost exclusively use it on my phone. I keep my entire Pokedex aside from whatever party boys I'm currently using in Home, so it's just more convenient for me to do everything on my phone. I don't think I've touched the Switch version in a month or so.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

I never touched Home, since the whole thing sounded like a huge hassle. Sometimes I thought I was being a bit dramatic about it.

But thats.... really how it works huh

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That Diglett has 31 in all IVs.

EDIT: Diglett, not Ditto. If the game gave out a perfect IV Ditto that'd be nuts.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 23, 2020

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah, the prize alolan ditto is perfect.

Also my theory is that Digging Ma is just too strong for her shovels.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Golux posted:

Yeah, the prize alolan ditto is perfect.

Also my theory is that Digging Ma is just too strong for her shovels.

My theory is she derives joy from loving with children. The fake crying then winking afterward doesn't help.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

There's nothing more agonizing than finding a Pokémon you want on GTS and the trade being reasonable. But you don't have the Pokémon in Pokémon Home so you gotta close the app, turn on the switch, open Pokémon home, transfer the Pokémon, save, close the app and then open the Pokémon Home app on your phone.

And after you go through all that, someone else already did the GTS trade.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I just finished playing through White then Black. Now I'm on White 2 and it's adorable. I like naming my rival. I don't have my first badge yet.

I don't know if I should play X/Y or Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby next though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

GoodBee posted:

I just finished playing through White then Black. Now I'm on White 2 and it's adorable. I like naming my rival. I don't have my first badge yet.

poo poo, that's something I never realized I missed. Naming my rival after my various nemeses was always fun. Bring that back, Gamefreak.

I'd also like to be able to control their appearance, too. Maybe under the guise if your character dragging them along the the clothing shop and hair salon. Hell, the rival's basically always your best friend anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

GoodBee posted:

I don't know if I should play X/Y or Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby next though.

imo it's best to play in order of release so any QoL changes that stick between games are there.