Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Throatwarbler posted:

Russian visitors to the UAE totaled around 600,000 per year, which isn't far off from the 800,000 per year that Cyprus gets. It's closer to the Asian part of Russia than Cyprus, and many Russians are muslims or don't drink.

Those are probably Tatars or somesuch rather than ethnic Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I’m not sure if you’re joking or not Grape but that seems unlikely

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Squalid posted:

I’m not sure if you’re joking or not Grape but that seems unlikely

Muslims from Russia are not likely ethnic Russians Squalid.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Do you guys think tourists to the UAE are going for a religious holiday or something? lmao

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ham posted:

Do you guys think tourists to the UAE are going for a religious holiday or something? lmao

A lot of Americans have a massive blind spot when it comes to Dubai.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ham posted:

No lol, but my man seemed convinced he was seeing Muslim Russians, so I tried to extrapolate.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
i used to have really hot takes about turkey [see rap sheet]

turns out I was just severely mentally ill

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
any way

how is rojava doing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rear end struggle posted:

any way

how is rojava doing

i hear lots of chechens take vacation there

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

any way

how is rojava doing

getting slowly subjugated by fascists

thank God for President Trump withdrawing from our interventionist support of a revolutionary communist state

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

any way

how is rojava doing

Turkey started cutting off water supplies recently, so even without invading more territory they're still finding a way to gently caress over (and presumably kill some of) the people living there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Libyan news: Syrian mercenaries brought by Turkey to back the GNA have opened fire on demonstrators.
https://www.hawarnews.com/en/haber/gna-groups-shoot-demonstrators-west-of-tripoli-h18664.html

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Libyan news: Syrian mercenaries brought by Turkey to back the GNA have opened fire on demonstrators.
https://www.hawarnews.com/en/haber/gna-groups-shoot-demonstrators-west-of-tripoli-h18664.html

This article does NOT say that Syrian mercenaries opened fire or were involved in suppressing the protests. It says the protestors were calling for the expulsion of Syrian mercenaries, among their other demands.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cat Mattress posted:

fake news, *posts 6 paragraphs of assadist propaganda showing the white helmets placing bodies on the ground and iraq war 2009 footage of americans pissing on prisoners*

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

fake news, *posts 6 paragraphs of assadist propaganda showing the white helmets placing bodies on the ground and iraq war 2009 footage of americans pissing on prisoners*

corpses, they pissed on corpses

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vasukhani posted:

that too, pretty sure pissing on prisoners is a cherished military traiditon aswell. The pitures may have been of pissing on bodies, but prisoner pissing happens too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Vasukhani posted:

From talking to marine intel guys, i can assure you there was nothing that didn't get pissed on.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Grape posted:

Those are probably Tatars or somesuch rather than ethnic Russians.

Maybe some Russian can confirm my n=1 experience, but I feel like Russian loving hate Tartars.

I have a Russian relative, nice middle aged lady who is totally reasonable about all other things. Once, during a family outing, we got to talking about Tartars. Out of nowhere, this lady went on a completely unhinged racist tirade about how Tartars are "dangerous" and "devious" and "lazy" and so forth. She has never been anywhere near Crimea, of course.
In addition, another part of my family has Crimean/Georgian-Muslim roots, but she couldn't help herself. Like, it must have been the strongest of feelings.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Maybe some Russian can confirm my n=1 experience, but I feel like Russian loving hate Tartars.

I have a Russian relative, nice middle aged lady who is totally reasonable about all other things. Once, during a family outing, we got to talking about Tartars. Out of nowhere, this lady went on a completely unhinged racist tirade about how Tartars are "dangerous" and "devious" and "lazy" and so forth. She has never been anywhere near Crimea, of course.
In addition, another part of my family has Crimean/Georgian-Muslim roots, but she couldn't help herself. Like, it must have been the strongest of feelings.

Most Russian tartars would be in Kazan and it's environs not the Krim, because the Volga tartars were folded into the Empire as opposed to mostly just being massacred/deported to uzbekistan like the Crimeans were. If you just take any other European country and swap gypsy and tartar you basically get the cultural dynamic, except theres a whole chunk of the country where they're about half the population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwUQlkAUQDI

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Yeah, by Crimean roots I mean "having fled the area during the war between Ottomans and Russia". Said woman was from Yekaterinburg so still probably cultural impression rather than some bad personal experience.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I meant about her perception of Tartars not your other families lineage :shobon:. But impoverished people with a nomadic past get a pretty bad rap everywhere. Romani bigotry is about as mainstream as it gets here in Istanbul, even among the more progressive crowd.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Volga and Crimea Tatars are entirely different groups of people.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I meant about her perception of Tartars not your other families lineage :shobon:. But impoverished people with a nomadic past get a pretty bad rap everywhere. Romani bigotry is about as mainstream as it gets here in Istanbul, even among the more progressive crowd.

Russia's Tatars haven't really been nomadic for a very long time though and they're alot more numerous and geographically concentrated than the Romany, even having pluralities and majorities in some regions.

Russia (and the Soviet Union) historically has just consistently been completely awful towards its non-Slavic minorities, and even non-Russian slavs at times (looking at you Great Purge and Poles being like 100 times more likely to be arrested and executed than basically any other ethnic group in the Soviet Union).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah I was gonna say wrt Volga Tatars. Kazan wasn't built by Russians, it was part of the Tatar state they conquered when they moved out in that direction.
The word "tatar" in general gets/got used to talk about a bunch of different Turkic speaking groups around the old Russian sphere, and in modern speech has come to be attached still to just a couple groups.
If I'm not mistaken the word used to be used to cover any group the Russians and others associated with the Golden Horde? Like I think that got called the "Tatar Yoke" as much as "Mongol Yoke".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/21/us-iran-sanctions-un-mike-pompeo

:laugh:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grape posted:

Muslims from Russia are not likely ethnic Russians Squalid.

To the average person, everybody from Russia is a Russian.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"We're Turkish, which makes this all the more awkward" well speaking of awkward Turkish things:

https://twitter.com/RTErdogan/status/1298239463915749376

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cat Mattress posted:

"We're Turkish, which makes this all the more awkward" well speaking of awkward Turkish things:

The trailer for Total War Ottoman Rising is pretty gr8 imo

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

awkward is a strange way of saying fascist

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The trailer for Total War Ottoman Rising is pretty gr8 imo

would play

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
a mb warband game about being Muhammed would be good, but get the devs beheaded

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So I'm chewing khat right now. Definitely feel uplifted like a good cup of coffee. Kinda scared of the voice telling me to get more khat.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

That was more Seljuq than Ottoman, which is arguably more fash? Like instead of elevating something that came to define the area, it's elevating the most literal invader form of ancestral Turkey?
Like Trump running a commercial of cowboys and cavalry guys charging at native Americans.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grape posted:

That was more Seljuq than Ottoman, which is arguably more fash? Like instead of elevating something that came to define the area, it's elevating the most literal invader form of ancestral Turkey?
Like Trump running a commercial of cowboys and cavalry guys charging at native Americans.

More in the sense that it's not at all Ottoman? Though Seljuks are important in that they are more or less the ones who created Turkey.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

a mb warband game about being Muhammed would be good, but get the devs beheaded

MB seems like a good game that I couldn't make any progress in because all the quest characters are Caucasians with names too long for me to remember. Like "Go to the city of Ogodeiskistrasskahnate and talk to the Grand Khan Mauriciovolunskiinevezov and I turn around and look on the map and there's 50 different points of interest with equally long names? How are non Chechens/Georgians supposed to play this?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So I'm chewing khat right now. Definitely feel uplifted like a good cup of coffee. Kinda scared of the voice telling me to get more khat.

The khat guy followed you home

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Grape posted:

The Ottomans were mostly Turkish but I think Erdogan does this thing where he rejects the multinational nature of the Ottomans in exchange for celebrating great turkey.

Their Alliance with Azerbaijan is fascinating because its a Sunni country and a Shia one forgoing their differences to focus on a shared national imagined community, something that i think is inherently anti-Ottoman, considering their wars with Persia. It's like how German fascism united Catholics and Protestants.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Vasukhani posted:

The Ottomans were mostly Turkish but I think Erdogan does this thing where he rejects the multinational nature of the Ottomans in exchange for celebrating great turkey.

Their Alliance with Azerbaijan is fascinating because its a Sunni country and a Shia one forgoing their differences to focus on a shared national imagined community, something that i think is inherently anti-Ottoman, considering their wars with Persia. It's like how German fascism united Catholics and Protestants.

More like a Sunni country uniting with an atheist one, Azerbaijan is extremely irreligious.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vasukhani posted:

Eh Azerbaijanis seem pretty lukewarm on Turkey and both countries don't really have that firm of connections with each other beyond both languages being mutually intelligible. (maybe some cable TV channels in Turkish...some are also in Russian so meh)

If anything, the big cultural divide in Azerbaijan is more religious people from the countryside versus more Soviet/Russian aligned urban educated class in Baku. I have met Azerbaijanis (by both ethnicity and nationality) that literally only knew Russian or could only speak a small amount of Azerbaijani at best. Central Asia has a similar cultural divide. It has a pretty effect on social life/dating.

(It is also why regional pan-Turkism didn't work out as intended because neither the urban Russian speaking middle class nor the Turkic-speaking people from the countryside cared even a little bit about Turkey or Turkish nationalism.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 27, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
TURKEY STRONK!!!
https://twitter.com/TurkishFacts4U/status/1298918308985450496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Really glad the strongest navy in the world with huge diplomatic stakes is taking literally zero interest in this right now :911:

Even if the RNC weren't taking place right now I feel like we wouldn't even be involved. Pompeo is in the Middle East right now why the gently caress isn't he in Ankara trying to stop this garbage.

Edit: I know the answer is that we don't care but I'm frustrated.

the yellow dart fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 27, 2020